• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
THEORY: Anthy Himemiya does not exist. She's just a Freudian projection of literally everyone's sexual lust for like, everyone else.

SECOND THEORY: There are no characters in this show, and I have actually been watching a car for the last 20 episodes.

THIRD THEORY: I actually have never seen an episode of Utena, and am just reading wikipedia, the wiki, and TV tropes to garner enough information to make an elaborate scheme of deceiving you into thinking I am watching this show. I do this for reasons that are largely connected to a coup d'etat I am actually planning in which I will seat peaceiscloser on the Throne of AnimeGAF but will rule as the actual Regent on account of he is still ikkle.

FOURTH THEORY: CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
You are starting to sound like an Evangelion fan.
So I can expect an actual explanation for stuff?
Again, this is not Evangelion.
Utena 27

EGGS.

Nanami episode.
If your name is CorvoSol
you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Utena 28

LAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame. It's a Jury episode. And Jury Episodes are lame because they haven't done anything with Jury as a character since her first episode. It's just been WAAAAH I'm JURY AND A GIRL WAS A BITCH TO ME WAAAAAAAH.

Don't care about Jury anymore.
._.
Juri's arc is about the poisons of unrequited love.
It's not just about bitches.
I'd also argue that none of the Student Council really get much development at all.
Lockets, Rukia, rain?

Don't look, Corvosol:
Touga learns to be less of a selfish jerk, genuinely smitten by Utena. Saionji rekindles his friendship with Touga --or, depending on how you look at it, he gains the self-respect necessary to stop being pushed around by him. Nanami is forced to star defining herself as an individual and not just by what she is related to Touga, although we don't see much of the aftermath with her character.

The only one that I believe doesn't go anywhere is Miki, and that's the point of his episode.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
tumblr_mi0gcaRlHu1s48fnoo1_400.gif

You're trying to kill me, aren't you? <3

OH MY G-DDGHFGFJGGJDGDJVDSVCVMCXVFJGFDSGJDSGJDSGVSD
VG......

pikachu_zpsd198223e.jpg

cajunator

Banned
They were going to take down the video, but not yet! TRIGGER's Little Witch Academia full short film uploaded to their YouTube channel (well, and Nicovideo) lives to see another month:

Twitter / trigger_inc: &#29694;&#22312;YouTube&#12392;&#12491;&#12467;&#12491;&#12467;&#21205;&#30011;&#12391;&#34892;&#12387;&#12390;&#12356;&#12427;&#12300;&#12522;&#12488;&#12523;&#12454;&#12451;&#12483;&#12481; ...
https://twitter.com/trigger_inc/status/351641100534034433

This team only seeks to produce miracles. The most recent of which includes actually releasing this on bluray for us baka gaijins. How nice of them!

You're trying to kill me, aren't you? <3

pikachu_zpsd198223e.jpg

Thanks you buddy!

Accel World episode 1&2
Its alright so far, hate the main character though.
If he knows he is such a loser why did he make is his avatar a pig, self hate?
Kuroyukihime on the other had is pretty cool.

cajunator

Banned
Accel World episode 1&2
Its alright so far, hate the main character though.
If he knows he is such a loser why did he make is his avatar a pig, self hate?
Kuroyukihime on the other had is pretty cool so far.

Only one other character can even approach her in that show. She's pretty awesome yes.
As for Haru, hes a cute little piggie! I could never hate him. He does seem to be self loathing a lot though. The show is a lot more fun IMO than SAO was.

sonicmj1

THEORY: Anthy Himemiya does not exist. She's just a Freudian projection of literally everyone's sexual lust for like, everyone else.

SECOND THEORY: There are no characters in this show, and I have actually been watching a car for the last 20 episodes.

THIRD THEORY: I actually have never seen an episode of Utena, and am just reading wikipedia, the wiki, and TV tropes to garner enough information to make an elaborate scheme of deceiving you into thinking I am watching this show. I do this for reasons that are largely connected to a coup d'etat I am actually planning in which I will seat peaceiscloser on the Throne of AnimeGAF but will rule as the actual Regent on account of he is still ikkle.

FOURTH THEORY: CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

There... can't you hear it? If your soul has not truly given up... then you can hear the sound that races through the End of the World.

Utena 28

LAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame. It's a Jury episode. And Jury Episodes are lame because they haven't done anything with Jury as a character since her first episode. It's just been WAAAAH I'm JURY AND A GIRL WAS A BITCH TO ME WAAAAAAAH.

Don't care about Jury anymore.

Back in episode 7, you were supposed to pick up on
Juri being deeply in love with Shiori.
It's okay if you missed it; I did too at the time. But if you don't realize that now, you're going to be very, very confused.

Not sure if this was mentioned in the anime at all, but he was bullied into choosing that avatar.

I think he's grown attached to it since then, though.
Oh ok thanks.

Only one other character can even approach her in that show. She's pretty awesome yes.
As for Haru, hes a cute little piggie! I could never hate him. He does seem to be self loathing a lot though. The show is a lot more fun IMO than SAO was.
Im only 4 in but agree so far. I dropped SAO at episode 5 or 6 and didn't return for months.

Jarmel

Banned
It's MOSTLY just that she gets in the way of Rain and Domon, but I just don't like her in general. She just happens to have a Super Mode in spite of not being in the Shuffle Alliance. She just happens to be a woman who is totally like Domon and gets along with him swimmingly in spite of just having met when Rain, his friend since childhood, cannot. She turns into a fairy and flies around at one point.

I dunno, I can't decide if I just hate her because she's in the way of Rain and Domon, or if she's an annoying Seventh Ranger who shows up 30 episodes into the show. She just doesn't really fit in. I mean, its nice to see a female Gundam Fighter (she is like, legitimately the ONLY female Gundam fighter) and I guess kudos to them for working in a Cyber Newtype, but the girl rubs me the wrong way.

How can you not like Allenby? She actually has a fun personality compared to either Domon and Rain. Her reactions are great and she has pretty good chemistry with Domon. She actually gives the Final Round fights more character which it needs after all the stereotyping it does.

Overall I liked her as a character, I just don't like her getting priority over somebody from the SA just because Japan has a boner for her.

The Shuffle Alliance dynamic as a whole is pretty shit. Argo and George are boring characters by themselves and the group dynamic doesn't even come together till pretty the very end and even then, not much is done with it.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - 9

What's this? Villains showing actual remorse for their fallen comrades?...

Ah well they're going to be crushed by team Daigurren anyway.

sad_face.gif

Pretty much how everyone acted in the first half of this episode. And for good reason. I mean,
the best character died,
so what can you expect?

Damn at Simon's breakdown. I knew he'd be pissed, but I never expected THAT to happen to the mech.

Who the hell is this? OH NO. Don't tell me this is
Kamina's replacement!
Wait she was in the opening so that means OH SHIT SHE IS!

This is like your SNES breaking and immediately the next day your mother buys you a Sega Genesis.

I'm glad they didn't waste any time with her backstory at least. I mean when she mentioned the only human she saw was her father, that pretty much sealed the deal for me for who she was.

Okay, I watched the Gintama Silver Screen Special and while it was mostly a bunch of nothing I'm hyped as hell.

As for the whole "Is it really ending?!" they keep talking about
my thoughts were originally "NOPE!" but after seeing the first three minutes at the end I'm not sure anymore. It looks like Gintoki being sent to the future is actually some kind of curse he got from a Tendoshu guy he killed during the Joi war. Then again it's Gintama, where everything goes, but I don't know...

The wonders of Gintama. Hyping us even if it was a bunch of nothing!

I approve of these rankings.

Zettai. Unmei. MOKUSHIROKU. The musical version is pretty baller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWslnFWj_Z0

Is there any way to see the musical with subtitles? Watching it raw was pretty amusingly surreal and I'm sure it's not popular for a reason but I still want to understand all the jokes!

Ugh.. this make me want to rewatch the whole show.

Don't worry. All this Utena chatter around here has me itching to finally do a rewatch. I've only seen it once after all...

STUDENT COUNCIL VERSION WOOO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76bAjM5eyXk

I can't imagine finding the time to rewatch 39 episodes considering the eternal backlog though. The movie though is amazingly easy to rewatch. So short and well paced that I ended up seeing it 3 times and I almost never rewatch anything.

Pooya

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - 9

Pretty much how everyone acted in the first half of this episode. And for good reason. I mean,
the best character died,
so what can you expect?

Damn at Simon's breakdown. I knew he'd be pissed, but I never expected THAT to happen to the mech.

Who the hell is this? OH NO. Don't tell me this is
Kamina's replacement!
Wait she was in the opening so that means OH SHIT SHE IS!

This is like your SNES breaking and immediately the next day your mother buys you a Sega Genesis.

I'm glad they didn't waste any time with her backstory at least. I mean when she mentioned the only human she saw was her father, that pretty much sealed the deal for me for who she was.

Nia is awesome, you'll take back this post later.

Attack on Titan 13

Best character in the series finally appears and meets our main protagonist. Best episode in awhile almost no still animations and gripping til the end. I feel like they should have incorporated next weeks recap into an upcoming event instead of it being some kind of weird hallucination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom