• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Girls und Panzer OVA - 06

xP1ZTtI.png

Oh god, my sides hurt from laughing so hard. So damn good! XD

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It was a different time! Toei and Japanese TV as a whole has only gotten more conservative with time.

SM also didn't do it with major characters.
Haruka and Michiru are major characters!

Actually that regression you allude to is troubling in general. Like a society less confident to branch out.

It was a different time! Toei and Japanese TV as a whole has only gotten more conservative with time.

SM also didn't do it with major characters.

This seems like moving goalposts to me. Before, it was that society hasn't progressed far enough, but now it's actually going backwards.

Plus, I'm not sure how you can say they weren't 'major characters'. They were absolutely part of the main cast, and had a prominent role in the series.

zeroshiki

Haruka and Michiru are major characters!

Actually that regression you allude to is troubling in general. Like a society less confident to branch out.

This seems like moving goalposts to me. Before, it was that society hasn't progressed far enough, but now it's actually going backwards.

Plus, I'm not sure how you can say they weren't 'major characters'. They were absolutely part of the main cast, and had a prominent role in the series.

Not in as much as the story revolved around their relationship! Actually, I don't watch Precure so I really should bugger off commenting on it.

I think Japanese TV has followed the progression of most TV around the world. Productions have gotten more expensive and more money and reputation is at stake so they tend to stick to what works.

The advent and increased power of the overprotective parents probably have something to do with it too.

Not in as much as the story revolved around their relationship! Actually, I don't watch Precure so I really should bugger off commenting on it.

I think Japanese TV has followed the progression of most TV around the world. Productions have gotten more expensive and more money and reputation is at stake so they tend to stick to what works.

The advent and increased power of the overprotective parents probably have something to do with it too.

Sounds like the Gaming industry as well.

Toradora! END

"You've done a good job raising him." I had to pause the video and spend the next couple minutes crying. My heart is... so full right now. This finale was terrifying, but oh so incredibly heart warming. Ryuji and Yasuko reconciling was such a tender scene. I thought it wouldn't get any sweeter until Taiga and Ryuji had their moment under the night sky. A kiss... again... and again. I was a puddle. But it felt like piercing daggers that night in the Takasu household. The promise before parting gave me the sinking feeling that something would happen. And it did. I was pleading for Taiga to turn and walk up those stairs into the warmth of the family she always wanted. It tore me up to see everyone so hurt once again. But then Ryuji's words about Taiga made me realize that I was watching something magical. That they had gone beyond merely opening up to one another, but actually expressing faith and trust. Trust in the future they both share. And when I caught her hair in the classroom window, I started bawling. My heart was running right on Ryuji's heels. She honored his trust, and his confession was sweeter than anything I've ever seen.
So my lamp has shattered and now I am a puddle of melted lava. Please do not bother with me. Let me lie here in my perfect moment.

CorvoSol

Al is the fucking best. So sarcastic and such a dick at times.

The best thing about Al is that he completely deflates what "tough, badass hero guy" Sousuke has left going on by making him play straightman to his jokes. Love Al. Probably why I took such a shine to Chamber in Gargantia.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Toradora! END

"You've done a good job raising him." I had to pause the video and spend the next couple minutes crying. My heart is... so full right now. This finale was terrifying, but oh so incredibly heart warming. Ryuji and Yasuko reconciling was such a tender scene. I thought it wouldn't get any sweeter until Taiga and Ryuji had their moment under the night sky. A kiss... again... and again. I was a puddle. But it felt like piercing daggers that night in the Takasu household. The promise before parting gave me the sinking feeling that something would happen. And it did. I was pleading for Taiga to turn and walk up those stairs into the warmth of the family she always wanted. It tore me up to see everyone so hurt once again. But then Ryuji's words about Taiga made me realize that I was watching something magical. That they had gone beyond merely opening up to one another, but actually expressing faith and trust. Trust in the future they both share. And when I caught her hair in the classroom window, I started bawling. My heart was running right on Ryuji's heels. She honored his trust, and his confession was sweeter than anything I've ever seen.
So my lamp has shattered and now I am a puddle of melted lava. Please do not bother with me. Let me lie here in my perfect moment.

:')

This is probably true but I can't help but laugh at the thought of typical Japanese television ever being considered expensive. I'm glad that variety shows are the go to cheap production there rather than reality TV though.

But where are the indie broadcast shows that are pushing boundaries and novel concepts?

This is probably true but I can't help but laugh at the thought of typical Japanese television ever being considered expensive. I'm glad that variety shows are the go to cheap production there rather than reality TV.

But where are the indie broadcast shows that are pushing boundaries and novel concepts?

Youtube and flash videos.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Toradora! END

manly-tears-496ub8.gif

cajunator

Banned

Yeah pretty much its how companies have to survive in the entertainment industry. Taking risks is just so expensive when it fails that it scares companies to death.

Toradora! END

This is the polar opposite of those shock ending impressions from certain other shows and it is so adorable to read.
*hands you a hankie

madp

The Light of El Cantare
This is probably true but I can't help but laugh at the thought of typical Japanese television ever being considered expensive. I'm glad that variety shows are the go to cheap production there rather than reality TV though.

"Expensiveness" is relative to the size of the potential audience and factors related to expected ad revenue, merchandising etc,, so a program can be expensive for what it is even if it still can't compare to the production values and budget of prominent American programming.

CorvoSol

G Gundam Rewatch 29

Sai Saici is the most :cajun Gundam pilot ever. Also, Domon may have dislocated a shoulder to win a match, but Sai Saici TORE OFF HIS ARM to win one.

"Expensiveness" is relative to the size of the potential audience and factors related to expected ad revenue, merchandising etc,, so a program can be expensive for what it is even if it still can't compare to the production values and budget of prominent American programming.

Oh I'm sure there were a lot of factors that can legitimately lead to those situations it just amused me at face value. Although now I'm wondering if slimmer margins is a better way to describe those circumstances rather than increased production costs. I'm not sure if margins is the right term but surely there's a similar concept for shows in the way margins relate to products.

CorvoSol

Rev Engine Cartena 26

I'm going to look at riding in a car as a metaphor for sex after this show is done. Just sayin'.

Utena is so conveniently detached from everything. No siblings, no parents, Wakaba nearly never complains that they don't hang, Anthy is a living body pillow, Chu Chu don't give a fuck. Utena has like, zero commitments. Yes, you are interrupting some private brother-sister thing, Utena. In case you haven't noticed ANY of the brother sister relationships around you, let me tell you about the secret unhealthy sibling relationship secret that is going on in this school.

Actually, why not watch the following episodes of SWORD ART ONLINE instead! It'll give you a picture of a realistic, healthy, functional relationship between a brother and a sister!

Yeah, Anthy, I don't think being an adult is actually related to being tolerant of like, anything. That's kind of the dumbest thing you have ever said. It's also like the fifth thing you have ever said, in fairness.

Wait what. What the what. No. No. And no.
Miki's step mother is Anthy? Why does all sexual attraction in this show have to be incestuous? Freuuuuuuuuuud.

Fuck it we're all Anthy Himemiya in purgatory.

Youtube and flash videos.

I do wish there was a good filter for that stuff the way Rock Paper Shotgun is a good source for finding great indie games. Outside of this thread I don't really have a good way of finding out about things like Turning Girls so who knows what I'm missing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Eh, it's relative. Even though the gay couple on Modern Family is fake-gay, the fact that the show is one of the more popular sitcoms on television means that it doesn't really matter.

Also, every show will throw in random lesbians just because they can. lol

Toradora! END

That was wonderfully poetic. Lamp showing us how its done. I love lamp.

I do wish there was a good filter for that stuff the way Rock Paper Shotgun is a good source for finding great indie games. Outside of this thread I don't really have a good way of finding out about things like Turning Girls so who knows what I'm missing.

It helps that RPS is actually good.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Cautiously optimistic for more YY. ♪♪ was kind of all over the place. The show needs to refocus on the core set of characters but usually the longer a series runs the more it has to turn to the minor characters in its cast.

waiting for another faux rap pv.

CorvoSol

THEORY: Anthy Himemiya does not exist. She's just a Freudian projection of literally everyone's sexual lust for like, everyone else.

SECOND THEORY: There are no characters in this show, and I have actually been watching a car for the last 20 episodes.

THIRD THEORY: I actually have never seen an episode of Utena, and am just reading wikipedia, the wiki, and TV tropes to garner enough information to make an elaborate scheme of deceiving you into thinking I am watching this show. I do this for reasons that are largely connected to a coup d'etat I am actually planning in which I will seat peaceiscloser on the Throne of AnimeGAF but will rule as the actual Regent on account of he is still ikkle.

FOURTH THEORY: CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

iavi

I honestly don't know how I feel about
adult
Kagura. Especially since she's wearing
Gintoki's robe thingie.
lol

Adds a serious bit of sentimentality to the whole thing, I think.

An actual serious Gintama Arc. that's all new. I can't.

THIRD THEORY: I actually have never seen an episode of Utena, and am just reading wikipedia, the wiki, and TV tropes to garner enough information to make an elaborate scheme of deceiving you into thinking I am watching this show. I do this for reasons that are largely connected to a coup d'etat I am actually planning in which I will seat peaceiscloser on the Throne of AnimeGAF but will rule as the actual Regent on account of he is still ikkle.

Two years and I shall take my rightful place at the throne. Muahaha.

Interestingly enough I got halfway through Scrapped Princess and Tears to Tiara before I gave up and looked up episode descriptions on Wikipedia.

Shergal

Cautiously optimistic for more YY. ♪♪ was kind of all over the place. The show needs to refocus on the core set of characters but usually the longer a series runs the more it has to turn to the minor characters in its cast.

waiting for another faux rap pv.

I thought the second season was much funnier, and also much more pleasant to watch due to the increased production quality. The side-characters aren't really that strong, but they make for some nice interactions and gags and widen the show's possibilities (as you say, it's basically inevitable for series like YRYR to turn to their side-characters in search of more gags).

CorvoSol

I'm actually serious about the "Anthy Himemiya does not exist" thing. It would explain a LOT to me about what's been going on in this show.

THEORY: Anthy Himemiya does not exist. She's just a Freudian projection of literally everyone's sexual lust for like, everyone else.

SECOND THEORY: There are no characters in this show, and I have actually been watching a car for the last 20 episodes.

FOURTH THEORY: CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

One twist and Corvo's turned into a LOST fan, Code Geass has made him so fragile :/.

Thankfully Ikuhara isn't JJ Abrams for whatever that's worth to ya.

She's wearing
the robe
and Shinpachi's wearing
the black under-jacket.

I really hope there's a scene
where both of them are grieving while raiding Gintoki's closet, preferably while he's still there.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I thought the second season was much funnier, and also much more pleasant to watch due to the increased production quality.
There were better moments for me but some of the skits ♪♪ brought were the worst kind of slog. Ayano is the best character but she can't make up for the rest of the student council.

CorvoSol

One twist and Corvo's turned into a LOST fan, Code Geass has made him so fragile :/.

Thankfully Ikuhara isn't JJ Abrams for whatever that's worth to ya.

I really hope there's a scene
where both of them are grieving while raiding Gintoki's closet, preferably while he's still there.

So I can expect an actual explanation for stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom