• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopi...on-3-confirmed

So they're aiming for a third season of Yuru Yuri.
I suppose now would be the time to post my YY It's Happening gif to see if it "bypasses" the ban, but I'm far to wise (and cowardly) to test that.

So instead lets have a super lightweight never posted before gif

irNQ1OYGMxWQ0.gif

You may superimpose the words It's Happening on it with your mind if you so desire.

cajunator

Banned
I wanted to give you the picture from the opening sequence, but it wasn't readily available in Google.

FIFTH THEORY: Anthy Himemiya has no butt. EVIDENCE: When seen naked, Anthy has no butt cheeks. It don't get no more pancake than that.

DAWW. Yeah hes cute lol.
This show seems to have a rather fun art style.

I suppose now would be the time to post my YY It's Happening gif to see if it "bypasses" the ban, but I'm far to wise (and cowardly) to test that.

So instead lets have a super lightweight never posted before gif

irNQ1OYGMxWQ0.gif

You may superimpose the words It's Happening on it with your mind if you so desire.

See now THIS > Ron stupid Paul.
Perfectly acceptable.

CorvoSol

Whaaat you didn't like Allenby? What's wrong with her? Besides the fact that her Gundam has nothing to do with her country.

It's MOSTLY just that she gets in the way of Rain and Domon, but I just don't like her in general. She just happens to have a Super Mode in spite of not being in the Shuffle Alliance. She just happens to be a woman who is totally like Domon and gets along with him swimmingly in spite of just having met when Rain, his friend since childhood, cannot. She turns into a fairy and flies around at one point.

I dunno, I can't decide if I just hate her because she's in the way of Rain and Domon, or if she's an annoying Seventh Ranger who shows up 30 episodes into the show. She just doesn't really fit in. I mean, its nice to see a female Gundam Fighter (she is like, legitimately the ONLY female Gundam fighter) and I guess kudos to them for working in a Cyber Newtype, but the girl rubs me the wrong way.

DAWW. Yeah hes cute lol.
This show seems to have a rather fun art style.

You should watch G Gundam. Even if you don't like other Gundam shows.

Ezalc

It's MOSTLY just that she gets in the way of Rain and Domon, but I just don't like her in general. She just happens to have a Super Mode in spite of not being in the Shuffle Alliance. She just happens to be a woman who is totally like Domon and gets along with him swimmingly in spite of just having met when Rain, his friend since childhood, cannot. She turns into a fairy and flies around at one point.

I dunno, I can't decide if I just hate her because she's in the way of Rain and Domon, or if she's an annoying Seventh Ranger who shows up 30 episodes into the show. She just doesn't really fit in. I mean, its nice to see a female Gundam Fighter (she is like, legitimately the ONLY female Gundam fighter) and I guess kudos to them for working in a Cyber Newtype, but the girl rubs me the wrong way.

Honestly I found Allenby a pretty good character. She was a great fighter, and served to be something of an obstacle in Domon and Rain's relationship. I can certainly see how two people meeting for the first time and just get along really well could happen, it's not something that always happens but I've seen it before. The whole Beserker mode thing was a little weird, since it kind of came out of nowhere but I thought it was alright too. Overall I liked her as a character, I just don't like her getting priority over somebody from the SA just because Japan has a boner for her.

CorvoSol

Honestly I found Allenby a pretty good character. She was a great fighter, and served to be something of an obstacle in Domon and Rain's relationship. I can certainly see how two people meeting for the first time and just get along really well could happen, it's not something that always happens but I've seen it before. The whole Beserker mode thing was a little weird, since it kind of came out of nowhere but I thought it was alright too. Overall I liked her as a character, I just don't like her getting priority over somebody from the SA just because Japan has a boner for her.

Well yeah, see, that last part is what got me. I kinda feel like the group had its dynamic going and stuff, with Domon and the gang and trickster mentor Schwarz and Rain and all, and then Allenby shows up and sorta ingrains herself into importance without any real development is all.

If she'd been introduced prior to the Guyana Highlands, though, I think I'd have had less of a problem with her.

Jintor

it was literally one year for $50.

$60 here for an animuz membership, $100 for an all-access. But yeah, I might just front for the year if I get paid before the next time I feel like anime. The Aussie selection is not brilliant though tbh. Maybe when usagi drop rotates back in.

Jintor

Toradora! 19

Not like this. Never like this. Oh god why did it turn out like this?
There was happiness surrounding the Christmas festivities once again, only I truly believed it would be met with even more sweet moments. But I fell for it hook, line, and sinker. My heart was pounding. My mind was racing. Who was that in the Santa costume? Where did Ryuji run off to? Did Minori make it to the party? I found out, alright. Ryuji's kindness towards Taiga was so heart-warming, but her tears started everything. My heart sank when she ran after him, and it hit rock bottom when I saw Minori standing there, coming to the realization that her guilt wasn't misplaced. Ryuiji's been shot down, but he still doesn't know how everyone else feels.
I can't put this down right now. Not like this.

Yes.

Toradora! 20

Ryuji's starting to understand how Minori feels, thanks to Taiga. But Taiga is now the one who's keeping her feelings to herself and going against them in order to push away the guilt. Taiga and Minori have had a role-reversal once again, only Minori's attempt at normalcy is a feigned one. She's trying to be her old self in the hopes that she can force Ryuji to give up on her, only the brilliant Taiga's masterful interference causes her real frustration to slip out. This leads to some supplemental hand-holding between the two, and Ryuji attains newfound conviction in confessing his feelings. It's exciting, but at the same time terrifying. Someone's going to get hurt and I don't want that to happen to anyone.

Yes.

Toradora! 21

I wasn't prepared for that. This show keeps surprising me and it packs a wallop every time.
Vacation episodes normally spend a fair amount of time using the change of scenery for happy/comical effect. But that stuff is so very short lived here in order to drive home the real tone. There was so much tension and it just didn't stop building. The girl-talk gradually turned into a heated argument, pushing Minori into a mood I've never seen before. It was incredibly unsettling. And just when I thought it was all water under the bridge, that Ami was going to find some sort of closure through reconciliation, everything takes a turn for the worse. They actually fought. No hiding behind a mask. No comical reprieve. Nobody walked away from that. Taiga's supposed to be the rough and tough one, but she was on the side line while Minori and Ami showed everyone what their pain really meant to them. It was ugly and I had to watch it. To Taiga, the hair clip was her way of trying to reclaim normalcy. So it only stung even more to see her hurt the most. Not only physically as the blood sickeningly ran down her head, but emotionally as she cried on Ryuji's shoulder, hating herself.
What the hell did I get myself into?

Toradora 22!

It's difficult to watch these characters continue to hide behind walls of false emotions. I'd calls this the Brave Face episode. Minori's goofy persona didn't prove to be enough of a defense against what she's hiding, so she burdens herself with even more work and responsibilities. That sort of self-destructive behavior is terrifying to watch, especially since she's convinced it's what's best for her. And Ami's not helping herself either by being bitter at both the world and herself. She really doesn't have anywhere to turn. But most of all, Taiga and Ryuji's dynamic is so different now. Taiga puts on the bravest of faces, and he's totally aware of it all - aware of the guilt, the self-hate, the suppressed feelings - yet he goes along with it. With everyone shutting each other out like this, I'm really worried; no one will be able to share how they really feel. That's why I found Yasuko to be the highlight of the episode. When I saw her note to Ryuji about getting a second job in order to support his education, I almost lost it.
Thanks for the encouragement! I remember coming across your advice to Felix about the post-credit scenes but I didn't know it was for the last episode so I've just been sticking around after the credits for each episode as a precaution.

Yes...

Toradora! 23

This is unbelievable!
In contrast to the last episode's focus on shutting others out, this one was all about opening up. Whether it was Taiga making chocolate for her friends in order to apologize or Ryuji's words of endearment and encouragement to Ami, characters were communicating honestly. And like other episodes, it's a constant theme that gradually becomes more and more apparent until the climactic confrontation. Minori couldn't stand by and watch as her friends lied to each other, and then she was supported by Ami and Kotomaru. I never expected Minori to lash out at Taiga like that. I mean, just seconds before it happened I was admiring how great they were as friends. The tears, the restraining, and the screaming all shattered that image. What does their friendship even stand for if they try to keep their personal happiness from one another? Taiga's fleeings show that she is truly the one suffering the most from all this, and Minori and Ryuji's decision to go after her leaves me hopeful, which is something I've been hesitant to feel for a while now. There is certainly more pain to be felt, but I've never been more excited to jump back in.

YES!

Toradora! 24

I'm being torn up and put back together again several times over the course of one episode.
Minori's confession was beautifully cathartic as she ran after Taiga. But the confrontation with the mothers was heartbreaking. Yasuko attempting to shoulder the burden for the sake of her son and Ryuji lashing out at her. They've always had this incredible bond, supporting each other in their own ways, but now I can't get the image of tears streaming down her face out of my head. And just when I think things are plummeting, Ryuji and Taiga have a heart to heart about their feelings and find support in their friends. But Minori's breakdown was a long time coming for me and I couldn't help but join her. Yasuko's disappearance terrifies me, but Ryuji's restored faith in family has me desperate to finish this once and for all!

YEAH!

Toradora! END

"You've done a good job raising him." I had to pause the video and spend the next couple minutes crying. My heart is... so full right now. This finale was terrifying, but oh so incredibly heart warming. Ryuji and Yasuko reconciling was such a tender scene. I thought it wouldn't get any sweeter until Taiga and Ryuji had their moment under the night sky. A kiss... again... and again. I was a puddle. But it felt like piercing daggers that night in the Takasu household. The promise before parting gave me the sinking feeling that something would happen. And it did. I was pleading for Taiga to turn and walk up those stairs into the warmth of the family she always wanted. It tore me up to see everyone so hurt once again. But then Ryuji's words about Taiga made me realize that I was watching something magical. That they had gone beyond merely opening up to one another, but actually expressing faith and trust. Trust in the future they both share. And when I caught her hair in the classroom window, I started bawling. My heart was running right on Ryuji's heels. She honored his trust, and his confession was sweeter than anything I've ever seen.
So my lamp has shattered and now I am a puddle of melted lava. Please do not bother with me. Let me lie here in my perfect moment.

3-3499-11247-gaijin4koma2peersblog1200684608jpg-620x.jpg

OMEDETOU

Ezalc

Well yeah, see, that last part is what got me. I kinda feel like the group had its dynamic going and stuff, with Domon and the gang and trickster mentor Schwarz and Rain and all, and then Allenby shows up and sorta ingrains herself into importance without any real development is all.

If she'd been introduced prior to the Guyana Highlands, though, I think I'd have had less of a problem with her.

Hm yeah I can see why you'd think that. I still enjoyed her character though hahaha.

Theonik

Amazing.

I
I'm sure the Star of David is there for totally understandable reasons.
Actually it is. That becomes clear eventually dumb though the explanation may be.

Doki Doki Precure 22
I'm not even watching the show and I still feel rage after reading this post. Doujins avenge us.

I think we just found the title for the PrecureGAF OT.
PreCureGAF |OT| Fuck you Toei

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet - FIN -

Yup, that's about what I wanted from the finale. While predictable, I feel as though Murata and co laid the seeds for so much of what happened that it doesn't bother me in the least. All of the signs were pointing to this, and I'm happy with how it all came together. The ending felt like it was earned.

I'm really happy they didn't try to shoehorn the whale squids into the final episode for no real reason. This was a battle between Ledo and his upbringing, and the I love how it played out. I was initially scratching my head during episode 12 because it seemed odd to me that Striker would land on the planet and do its own thing. Knowing that it was in fact acting under orders up until its pilot's death connected the dots for me.

Chamber is the shit. I can't wait to see 14-16.

CorvoSol

G Gundam rewatch 32

I know that there's a scene later in the show where Chibodee basically has sex with four women at once and ejaculates hot fire, but I had not realized last time around that this episode looks sorta like Rain and Chibodee have sex and that Domon is totally okay with it. Rain definitely does have some slight ships going with Chibodee, after all.

CorvoSol

Utena 28

LAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame. It's a Jury episode. And Jury Episodes are lame because they haven't done anything with Jury as a character since her first episode. It's just been WAAAAH I'm JURY AND A GIRL WAS A BITCH TO ME WAAAAAAAH.

Don't care about Jury anymore.

More Gargantia 13 thoughts cause fuck this show was good.

I love the way Chamber brought everything full circle by declaring that Ledo was unfit to serve on a psychological level. Ledo's reaction to hearing that, and Chamber's comments as he was floating away really bring everything to a nice, tight conclusion.

It wasn't without its problems, but I really loved Gargantia. I guess it's time to catch up/start everything else.

What do you guys recommend this season? I've only been watching SnK and Gargantia for work.

/XX/

They were going to take down the video, but not yet! TRIGGER's Little Witch Academia full short film uploaded to their YouTube channel (well, and Nicovideo) lives to see another month:

Twitter / trigger_inc: 現在YouTubeとニコニコ動画で行っている「リトルウィッチ ...
https://twitter.com/trigger_inc/status/351655744044670977

BluWacky

Utena 28

LAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame. It's a Jury episode. And Jury Episodes are lame because they haven't done anything with Jury as a character since her first episode. It's just been WAAAAH I'm JURY AND A GIRL WAS A BITCH TO ME WAAAAAAAH.

Good lord, I really am never going to agree with you about anything, am I? :)

Also... I would venture you've rather misunderstood Jury's character if you think it's about Shiori being a bitch. Then again, I'm never sure quite how much you actually mean of your posts.

Theonik

Utena 28

Juri episodes are much less about a girl being a bitch to her but slowly being revealed
that Juri is yuri for the girl in question and wasn't mad about her taking the guy from her but rather him taking the girl from her and the difficult position Juri is in, being unable to confess her love.

BluWacky

Juri episodes are much less about a girl being a bitch to her but slowly being revealed
that Juri is yuri for the girl in question and wasn't mad about her taking the guy from her but rather him taking the girl from her and the difficult position Juri is in, being unable to confess her love.

Slowly? Isn't it obvious from ep 7? That's why I don't know whether Corvo is being disingenuous or not - it just seems so immediately obvious from her first episode.

I'd also argue that none of the Student Council really get much development at all. The Student Council and Apocalypse duels tread very similar ground, and the Black Rose arc tends to revisit the same themes from a slightly different perspective. It's not so much about the development as the execution, IMO.

Jubern

Okay, I watched the Gintama Silver Screen Special and while it was mostly a bunch of nothing I'm hyped as hell.

As for the whole "Is it really ending?!" they keep talking about
my thoughts were originally "NOPE!" but after seeing the first three minutes at the end I'm not sure anymore. It looks like Gintoki being sent to the future is actually some kind of curse he got from a Tendoshu guy he killed during the Joi war. Then again it's Gintama, where everything goes, but I don't know...

Theonik

Slowly? Isn't it obvious from ep 7? That's why I don't know whether Corvo is being disingenuous or not - it just seems so immediately obvious from her first episode.

I'd also argue that none of the Student Council really get much development at all. The Student Council and Apocalypse duels tread very similar ground, and the Black Rose arc tends to revisit the same themes from a slightly different perspective. It's not so much about the development as the execution, IMO.
I mean you can see it from the start but it becomes increasingly more obvious as you go along to the point I could excuse someone for not seeing it from her first duel but I'd be concerned if they didn't after a while.

fertygo

Utena 28

What the hell,, this 2 episode arc are among the best.

/XX/

Fuck of Spain, now we are going to lose the World Cup...
It is ze Germans time. :(
Certainly! Well, it is always their time and their all-out compromise and conviction is always top-notch, but after their young blood got much more experienced since the last major competition, with a block that dominates right now at club level (thinking on the 'diéresis men' like Müller, Götze and Özil if all fit makes me shake in fear already) it's becoming much, much, much more frightening!

Everyone here weeps for veterans like Xabi & Xavi (I love you man) going past its prime... please, lighten-up and think on start giving the confidence they need to tremendous alternatives like Cesc or Javi Martínez. They'll be necessary from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom