• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any info on P4GA?

Is it a remake of a 3 yr old show with Marie?

P4G storywise is pretty much P4... so i don't get why this isn't just an OVA or something... I guess you gotta milk.

Well it's only going to be 1 cour. It's likely going to have all the events animated from the first P4A heavily abridged with the new stuff getting the main focus. I personally think that's going to end up weird, but hey, I'll watch it.

Crocodile

Yep, I agree with you there. But we're just a bunch of people on an internet forum and we've all got personal biases. If you really think it's possible to have a discussion that's 100% based on what we, as humanity, have learned over the course of centuries without bringing in personal biases, be my guest.

I've never seen it happen and I doubt I ever will on a message board. Note that I never said there is no such thing as bad or good writing and pacing in what you've quoted from me.

Just that I've never seen those things quantified and subsequently used in a fair discussion of media.

Personal biases aren't insurmountable or else it would be impossible to discuss anything from an academic standpoint :p The important thing is just to be aware of them and try to minimize their impact on proper analysis. You of course don't have to agree with any individual's analysis but the the beautiful thing is that you are able to offer you're own rebuttals. I hope you aren't saying "everybody is biased so no analysis matters" because that's both defeatist and untrue.

I understand what you're getting at, but I think things are a lot more complicated than that. It's true that you can use these methods on traditional narratives, but then what about more experimental ones? Take some of the independent animator Koji Yamamura's work for instance. Some short films of his, like "Pieces" and "Child's Metaphysics" don't try and convey any story at all, instead just filling its runtime with surreal imagery. So how can we apply a traditional narrative approach to that? Then there's stuff like the "Cloud" segment of Robot Carnival, where it's difficult to tell whether it's telling a story or not due to its presentation. That's not to say that such works are beyond criticism; we can critique them, but I think that it requires a different kind of critique than what we would normally give a work. I guess what I'm trying to get at here is that I don't think there's just one right way to critique an anime, even if we've been working with narratives for a good portion of human history.

If you're just talking about critiquing Psycho-Pass here though, that's fine, since I think what you said absolutely applies! Though there's always going to be some subjectivity involved, I think.

Well I'd say it seems to "miss the point" to critique the narrative plotting of a work that attempts to convey its value and message solely through audiovisual stimulation (for lack of a more appropriate word). You have to bring different tools to different jobs so to speak.

I definitely admit there is a level of subjectivity to any of these sorts of discussions. But I'm wary that there seems to be a desire to sweep aside well-tempered criticism under the guise "that it's all subjective so who cares - it doesn't matter what anybody says X".

Personal biases aren't insurmountable or else it would be impossible to discuss anything from an academic standpoint :p The important thing is just to be aware of them and try to minimize their impact on proper analysis. You of course don't have to agree with any individual's analysis but the the beautiful thing is that you are able to offer you're own rebuttals. I hope you aren't saying "everybody is biased so no analysis matters" because that's both deafeatist and untrue.

Again, I think you're missing the point. Of course it's possible to discuss things from an academic standpoint in theory and of course personal biases can be pushed aside. I'm maintaining that I've yet to see it happen on a message board regarding media.

When I finally see it happen, I'll gladly concede. Until I see such a discussion firsthand, everything you've said just sounds like idealism.

If this sounds defeatist, it's because while I'm not cynical about the media being discussed, I am cynical of the discussions.

Edit: Didn't read the last part of your post since it didn't seem addressed to me.

I'm not trying to "sweep aside" anything. Refer back to my original post. I was just explaining why I stay out of discussions. If you find value in those types of discussions, cool. I don't.

Clov

Well I'd say it seems to "miss the point" to critique the narrative plotting of a work that attempts to convey its value and message solely through audiovisual stimulation (for lack of a more appropriate word). You have to bring different tools to different jobs so to speak.

I definitely admit there is a level of subjectivity to any of these sorts of discussions. But I'm wary that there seems to be a desire to sweep aside well-tempered criticism under the guise "that it's all subjective so who cares - it doesn't matter what anybody says X".

I agree entirely. There may be subjective elements, but that doesn't mean there's no value in discussion. It's fine to disagree with someone's critique, but it's not fine to halt a discussion because of it.

I'd like to post more, but I have to be off to work now.

duckroll

Well okay this is kinda lazily done since it's almost 4 am and all but here, I think I did it right. CR times are PST and Funi times are EST. Couldn't figure out when Hulu and Daisuki put their stuff up but i think it's safe to assume it's the same day at least, anyway i hope i didn't forget anything

Sunday
CR - Akame Ga Kill 9:00 am
CR - DRAMAtical Murder 11:00 am
CR - Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories 2 11:30 am
CR - Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun 12:05 pm
FN - Space☆Dandy 2nd Season 10:30 am

Monday
CR - HaNaYaMaTa 11:00 am
CR - Blue Spring Ride 11:30 am

Tuesday
CR - Sabagebu! - Survival Game Club! 8:00 am

Wednesday
CR - Free! Eternal Summer 8:30 am
FN - Free! Eternal Summer 11:30 am
CR - Samurai Jam-Bakumatsu Rock 9:00 am
CR - Love Stage! 10:45 am
CR - Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA ILLYA 2wei! 11:15 am
CR - Momo Kyun Sword 11:30 am

Thursday
CR - Glasslip 8:00 am
CR - ARGEVOLLEN 8:30 am
CR- Locodol 12:00 pm
CR/DS - Persona 4 Golden: The Animation 12:00 pm, ??? DS
FN - Tokyo Ghoul 12:00 pm
FN - Terror in Resonance 12:50 pm
FN/DS - Black Butler Book of Circus 3:20 pm FN, ??? Daisuki

Saturday
CR/HL - Sailor Moon Crystal 3:00 am CR, ??? HL (bi weekly airing)
CR/DS - Sword Art Online II 9:30 am CR, ??? Daisuki
CR/DS - Aldnoah Zero 10:00 am CR, ??? DS
CR - Rail Wars! 8:00 pm

Legend:
CR = Crunchyroll
FN = Funimation
HL = Hulu
DS = Daisuki

Is this final? Are the times right or are they still mixed up? Lemme know if it's vetted and accurate, so I can put it into the OP.

Is this final? Are the times right or are they still mixed up? Lemme know if it's vetted and accurate, so I can put it into the OP.

CR - Free! Eternal Summer 8:30 am
FN - Free! Eternal Summer 11:30 am

Thats confusing..

That needs to be fixed to CR/FN - Free! Eternal Summer 8:30 AM (PST)

The ??? need to be removed from all the DS/HL as their all the same time (except for black butler, 1wk delay (north america).

Crocodile

Again, I think you're missing the point. Of course it's possible to discuss things from an academic standpoint in theory and of course personal biases can be pushed aside. I'm maintaining that I've yet to see it happen on a message board regarding media.

When I finally see it happen, I'll gladly concede. Until I see such a discussion firsthand, everything you've said just sounds like idealism

If this sounds defeatist, it's because while I'm not cynical about the media being discussed, I am cynical of the discussions.

Edit: Didn't read the last part of your post since it didn't seem addressed to me.

I'm not trying to "sweep aside" anything. Refer back to my original post. I was just explaining why I stay out of discussions. If you find value in those types of discussions, cool. I don't.

I'm confused. How is that even possible? Those sorts of discussion come up pretty regularly everywhere online, even on GAF (though you often have to wade through nonsense to see them). If we want to use Psycho-Pass as an example, a few people in the last few pages have already provided breakdowns of problems with the show. If those posts were pressed, it would be possible (time willing) to elaborate upon them and a longer, more complex conversation could follow (but a lot of us are at work right now so doing the "research" required in a fuller conversation is though).

As for the last bit, I didn't mean to try to implicate you or anyone specifically of anything, sorry. I just felt a bit confused as to the origin of this line of thought?

Midonin

Glasslip 02

When a series chooses to add a slight supernatural wrinkle to things, that's a way to ensure my interest. In this case, the revelation that Touko can see the future under certain circumstances. So far, it's fuzzy and doesn't last for long enough that it hints towards any kind of certainty, but that's going to do a lot as far as potential couples in this show go.

As for the last bit, I didn't mean to try to implicate you or anyone specifically of anything, sorry. I just felt a bit confused as to the origin of this line of thought?

Responded in a PM.

Glasslip 02

When a series chooses to add a slight supernatural wrinkle to things, that's a way to ensure my interest. In this case, the revelation that Touko can see the future under certain circumstances. So far, it's fuzzy and doesn't last for long enough that it hints towards any kind of certainty, but that's going to do a lot as far as potential couples in this show go.

In this case, the supernatural stuff just turns me off. I suppose I should've looked into the series more before picking it up, but this is not what I was expecting at all.

Glasslip 2

Yeah, I don't think I can do this. I'm out.

Me too.

Chariot

Glasslip 02

I generally hate people with abilies that watch randomly in the future, it's just to convinient everytime.

Midonin

I suppose I should've looked into the series more before picking it up, but this is not what I was expecting at all.
There wasn't much you could look into. It's an anime original, and this twist was only just revealed a few minutes ago.

My taste is that elements like this are part of the anime feel that I want anime to have, and can often serve some sort of metaphorical purpose as well. Realism has its merits, but it's never been something I felt anime absoloutely has to do.

I generally hate people with abilies that watch randomly in the future, it's just to convinient everytime.
Lots of things are convenient in fiction.

Jex

Free! Eternal Summer 02

This was actually maybe the best episode Free! has ever had. The more enthusiastic and vibrant Rin gives a really likable character for the show to follow. The new character that's been introduced offers a good dynamic that opens up a serious side that's still interesting to follow without feeling overbearingly melodramatic. The pacing here all felt very deliberate with the right rises and falls that led up to a low stakes action scene that was fun to watch, in part because of the incredible animation.

I can't handle positive things being said about Free Deux: Free-er. My mind has been blown.

Chariot

Of course, but e.g. a random encounter with an important person is - for me at least- more believable as this selective future viewing. That don't work at some moments and conviently showing the right place, time while deviating between rules. Its rare to see someone who sees e.g. exactly what happens in 5 days in the place they're standing right now. But they often see completely different visions from different places, in totally diffent times. So it's most likely totally random what they see, and yet they always see relevant stuff.

There wasn't much you could look into. It's an anime original, and this twist was only just revealed a few minutes ago.

My taste is that elements like this are part of the anime feel that I want anime to have, and can often serve some sort of metaphorical purpose as well. Realism has its merits, but it's never been something I felt anime absoloutely has to do.

I've got no issues with lack of realism generally. Hell, I got blindsided by the supernatural stuff in Natsuiro Kiseki and still somewhat enjoyed it.

I just hate "David" and his forced melodrama. That in conjunction with the supernatural element just make this anime feel like a chore to watch, so I'm done.

Midonin

So it's most likely totally random what they see, and yet they always see relevant stuff.
That could be attempted to be weaseled away by saying it has something to do with their current mental state, but ultimately it's because there wouldn't be a story.

I just hate "David" and his forced melodrama. That in conjunction with the supernatural element just make this anime feel like a chore to watch, so I'm done.
Fair enough.

Blusby

I finished up Fate/Zero. Overall, the second season is a grade above the first season. I'm tempted to play Fate/stay night now but I'm probably better off waiting for the new anime.
Don't, the translation is terrible, just wait for the adaption this Fall. Also considering your criticisms of Zero you'd absolutely despise the Fate route of the VN.

Once a show becomes a chore to watch drop it. I did that with Majin bone. And one week friends. And white album 2. And many others. Brynhildr would've been a chore to watch but then glorious second op happened and saved anime. Also the awesome writing.

Jex

Cowboy the Bebop 15 - "My Funny Valentine"

Faye development episode. Flows well, and Spike and Faye bickering is amusing. I think they do a really good job of showing proto-Faye before she became the femme fatale bounty hunter, but you can still see the seeds of that personality below the delicate surface. All that said though, this has never really been one of my fave episodes apart from the Faye/Spike dogfight and little conversation at the end.

What a missed opportunity to use the term "fayvourite".

Chariot

That could be attempted to be weaseled away by saying it has something to do with their current mental state, but ultimately it's because there wouldn't be a story.
I just say, I don't like how this ability is excecuted in a lot of storys and is just lazily implemented. There are ways how you could make something like this work.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Inevitable F/SN thread should use that as its subtitle.

Fate/Stay Night TV Anime (2014) |OT| A bad story

I still prefer "Fate/Stay In the Kitchen", courtesy of IRC.

Link Man

Banned
It's not even the supernatural elements in Glasslip, it's the forced melodrama that this love...web is going to inevitably introduce into the plot. Not the kind of show I want to invest my time in.

Crocodile

Is there really no hope that ufotable's version of FS/N might be enjoyable to someone who liked FS/Z? I want to go into FS/N hype (since I know nothing about it but thought FS/Z was great) but its hard to have a hype boner when everybody says expect it to be super shit :(

There's slight hope but not really. Unless ufotable rewrites Shirou and drops the harem and light hearted comedy scenes I doubt it. And the pv already showed taiga. All hope is lost.
There was pages and pages of criticism back when it aired, and just a couple of days ago when someone asked I wrote a whole post on the subject citing multiple other posts on this very subject
I wasnt here when it aired. But I'll take a look at your post when I get back from work.

Jarmel

Banned
Best OT title,

Fate/Stay Night OT: Sequel to Fate/Zero

There's slight hope but not really. Unless ufotable rewrites Shirou and drops the harem and light hearted comedy scenes I doubt it. And the pv already showed taiga. All hope is lost.

Taiga is by far the best girl in the entire franchise.

Blusby

Is there really no hope that ufotable's version of FS/N might be enjoyable to someone who liked FS/Z? I want to go into FS/N hype (since I know nothing about it but thought FS/Z was great) but its hard to have a hype boner when everybody says expect it to be super shit :(

Well, the thing is the only hold Zero has over Stay Night is that overall plot progression is better, becuase I found its characters to be a lot weaker for the most part. By this I mean its original characters mind you, so I'll discount Kirei, Saber, and Gil which Nasu had pretty much already written for Gen. In the end of Zero the only original characters I can say I even liked were Rider and Kerry because everyone else was so bland or just underdeveloped unlike in Stay Night where most of the cast get much more exploration, but that's to be expected with Zero where characters just existed to fulfill the ideology quota. The comments about it being a harem is wrong too, cause it really isn't, it just shifts from light hearted tone during the day to grimdark at night because none of the masters would dare to operate during the day. It's not so bad as it's just different, though if they choose to go a Heavens Feel-themed route you can expect a similar atmosphere to Zero but with as I'd say, the stakes being much higher for the cast compared to Zero as the whole Holy Grail War
being shown as the sham it is
and being turned on its head. From what I've read on here it sounds like most people have either watched the DEEN adaption only or have heard random spoilers, because their comments simply don't match up with what I've read especially regarding Shirou's character.
#SNIsGood

Tokyo Ghoul account uploaded their OP and ED. (no credit versions)
BsMfFpuCYAA_sWJ.jpg:large

Syrinx

Ranma 1/2 16

I think this style of comedy is a lot more my preference than stuff like Nichijou and Nichibros. In most other types of shows I'd probably find Azusa very annoying, but here she's hilarious. Bringing how Ranma's dad and calling him Oscar was going to happen at some point but it was still great.

Best OT title,

Fate/Stay Night OT: Sequel to Fate/Zero

Taiga is by far the best girl in the entire franchise.
That's like saying "he's the smartest kid in the short bus". Plus I couldn't stand how positive she is. And also the beating up people and screaming. What is this the 1940s? Do I need to bring out curly and moe?

Edit: to clarify I'm fucking around. No need to write angry response.

Jarmel

Banned
That's like saying "he's the smartest kid in the short bus". Plus I couldn't stand how positive she is. And also the beating up people and screaming. What is this the 1940s? Do I need to bring out curly and moe?

Physical comedy is 1940s? Didn't know Home Alone was that old.

Also lol if you think this was an angry response.

Midonin

Now we're talking. Every show that debuts today is already being simulcast, so CR can add a few shows it might have missed.

I'm still waiting on possible simulcast announcements for Himegoto, Jinsei and Rurumo too.

Physical comedy is 1940s? Didn't know Home Alone was that old.
Lol I mean the three stooges are the staple not sure when they're from I just took an uneducated guess. Tom and Jerry as well. As a whole the west seems to have drifted away from physical comedy for a while now. Those that still do it are looked down upon as plebeians.

Anime on the other hand still finds that shit hilarious.

Glasslip 02

I do not care enough about these character and this horrible drama for them to go full stupid this early in the show. Dropped until further notice.

fertygo

Its fine, Jarmel, me and June will staying with the hype.

FS/N is flawed as hell but still one of the most fun chunibyou story arpund , there's reason why the VN are so iconic.

And with high production value, show will not fail at entertainment value.

Its fine, Jarmel, me and June will staying with the hype.

FS/N is flawed as hell but still one of the most fun chunibyou story arpund , there's reason why the VN are so iconic.

And with high production value, show will not fail at entertainment value.
I love how people complain about Shirou being a terrible character as though they are being willfully ignorant of what the story saying in relation to Archer. I am going to enjoy the hell out of this and sing its praises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom