• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Glasslip 2

I wanted a show about glass blowing. All I'm getting is dangly people and
the power to see into the future!
I didn't sign up for this!

fertygo

Tokyo Ghoul - 02

The OP was great, kinda surprised the OP not just consisting action spam.. and holy shit this show sure great looking, the fight bit in the end.. wow, .webm material there.. kinda wish I'm watching the uncencored version and funimation's video not such a fucking mess for the color hues, its fucking terrible.. why couldn't CR that pick this.

As someone who tries to avoid bad anime I thought I would change it up a bit this season. I've taken up the challenge to watch everything airing this season in hopes of discovering something I wouldn't normally watch and learn something about anime.

However, I won't be watching any sequel anime that I haven't seen the previous season of. Three episode rule applies, I don't think I have the endurance to do this the whole season. Even if this doesn't work out hopefully you guys will get a good laugh. Okay, let's get started...

Akame ga Kill! 01
uEx6SAb.png
A grim dark story with characters who act like they're in a moe comedy.

Ao Haru Ride 01
A rom com where they confess their love during the first episode? It's all in the past now though, dude has turned into a prick.

Bakumatsu Rock 01
We have a drag queen pizza parlour owner and a transformation sequence that strips the characters down to their bottoms when they play their instruments. This show is fabulous.

Barakamon 01
Pretentious artists moves to small island city to get some perspective while dealing with the cutest (and rather annoying) little girl.

DRAMAtical Murder 01
A gang war in virtual space between a bunch of pretty boys and your pet acts as your personal R2D2.

Locodol 01
Well that was a complete trainwreck.

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun 01
Love is a strange thing.

Glasslip 01
Less than a minute of glass making and half the episode about chickens. What am I watching?

I have to find a better order to watch these things other than alphabetical. Going from Akame ga Kill! to Ao Haru Ride was huge mood whiplash.

Standout so far is Nozaki-kun. It is genuinely funny and the character animation is great.

Zankyou no Terror - 01

Huge meh so far. The only positive I can say at this point are the animation, op and ed. They're gonna have to come up with a better story
than "The government was mean to me when I was kid so I'll kill everyone!" To make me feel sympathetic to a bunch of terrorists. And no some bullied high school girl falling in love with one of them isn't going to help.
As it stands I enjoyed Rail Wars! first episode more than this.

Zankyou no Terror - 01

Huge meh so far. The only positive I can say at this point are the animation, op and ed. They're gonna have to come up with a better story
than "The government was mean to me when I was kid so I'll kill everyone!" To make me feel sympathetic to a bunch of terrorists. And no some bullied high school girl falling in love with one of them isn't going to help.

Yeah, if that's really all it turns out to be, I'm going to be sorely disappointed.
I can already smell the angst from whichever guy isn't "chosen".

Mature

Zankyou no Terror - 01

Who says you're supposed to feel sympathetic?

TsuXna

They're beautiful.

Zankyou no Terror 01

Pretty good OP.
Good ED too.
Great OST so far.

Interesting first episode. Has a lot of potential, just hope it isn't squandered.
Is this 1 or 2 cour?

You dissin that money makin' Toriyama style?

I'm getting use too...pretty annoying still tho.
I can't understand why there's such a good drawing in the new Dragon Ball's opening and but anime itself looks old...
570b214b15ac0a8.jpg

yea, looks pretty much like a typical dead man.
I'm enjoying this :3

Terror in Resonance 1

I don't know who exactly wrote this, but he is a fucking hack.
I think I had a problem with the screenplay every 90 seconds, from start to end.
When the initial sequence of stealing in a nuclear plant finished, I thought "oh, I didn't know this was a fantasy anime. I suppose Chaika will appear soon". And it went on and on from there.
From the plainly unrealistic (not even military grade explosive can demolish that building) to the just contrived coincidences (of course the girl meets them in the building, and of course it happens to be saved by some trauma of the mc) and unexplained stuff (where do they get all that stuff? from the explosives to the bike. I hope it's explained) to the derivative (hi Nine and Twelve super-talented children escaped from some government secret facility now searching vengeance using the abilities gained while you were raised by them).
And the girl going SPLOOGE in the final moment instead of being afraid because some terrorists made me lol.

I still don't want to enter in details as maybe some stuff can be explained in the later episodes, but the first impression isn't good.

The direction was very decent, but nothing to shout "Watanabe-sama thanks for saving anime" or anything like that.

A bad start, once a work irks me with the lack of plausibility (in a series where the setting and tone indicates a more serious realism) I start seeing it negatively, which makes me notice even more faults.

edit: before anyone says "but.. but... Suspension of disbelief..." fuck suspension of disbelief, 90% of the times is used to accept bad writing.

Aren't those guys terrorists? Why would you feel sympathetic for them?

You want to watch piece of shit protagonists watch death note. Or Fargo. Also I have pretty high hopes for the show considering the pedigree.

When we boil down any show concepts to 3 sentences it makes anything sound stupid.

The way they're harping on the older one's dream, and that conversation where he states that
they couldn't save the others because they were weak, but they aren't weak now
would suggest that the writer does want to build sympathy in the viewer. Also the scene where the younger one
interferes with Lisa being bullied at the pool.

If we weren't supposed to feel sympathetic, there'd be no reason to show the terrorists in a positive light sometimes.

Jarmel

Banned

Episode 2 spoilers
You kinda are, which is a very big issue with me right now. That huge blast at the end of episode one doesn't kill anybody and it looks like the 2nd blast doesn't either. It seems like the terrorists are intentionally trying to avoid casualties.

Either that or they're ridiculously lucky/incompetent.

The way they're harping on the older one's dream, and that conversation where he states that
would suggest that the writer does want to build sympathy in the viewer. Also the scene where the younger one

If we weren't supposed to feel sympathetic, there'd be no reason to show the terrorists in a positive light sometimes.

You can show characters in sympathetic lights without wanting the audience as a whole to be sympathetic to the characters. I think two great cases are Walter White and Tony Soprano where both are shown multiple times in this manner but the audience isn't supposed to sympathize with them as a whole.

Soma

Terror in Resonance Ep 1

An alternate universe in which Smile and Peco (Ping Pong) decide to move to Tokyo, change their identities and become terrorists.

But yeah that was fantastic from a directional and animation perspective. Probably my favorite first episode from this season. Great atmosphere, pacing flowed very nicely and the music/sound direction was impressive. Still not 100% sold on the characters so far but they made a memorable impression on me. Really interested to see more from the two main guys and their motivations. Seems like it'll be a really interesting ride.

Another contender for OP/ED of the season.

Terror in Resonance 1

I think I had a problem with the screenplay every 90 seconds, from start to end.
When the initial sequence of stealing in a nuclear plant finished, I thought "oh, I didn't know this was a fantasy anime. I suppose Chaika will appear soon". And it went on and on from there.
From the plainly unrealistic (not even military grade explosive can demolish that building) to the just contrived coincidences (of course the girl meets them in the building, and of course it happens to be saved by some trauma of the mc) and unexplained stuff (where do they get all that stuff? from the explosives to the bike. I hope it's explained) to the derivative (hi Nine and Twelve super-talented children escaped from some government secret facility now searching vengeance using the abilities gained while you were raised by them).
And the girl going SPLOOGE in the final moment instead of being afragid because some terrorists made me lol.

I still don't want to enter in details as maybe some stuff can be explained in the later episodes, but the first impression isn't good.

The direction was very decent, but nothing to shout "Watanabe-sama thanks for saving anime" or anything like that.

A bad start, once a work irks me with the lack of plausibility (in a series where the setting and tone indicates a more serious realism) I start seeing it negatively, which makes me notice even more faults.
But those terrorists have such pretty eyes and smile tho! Lord I couldn't help but laugh at that shit.

fertygo

Ugh I'm really hesitant to watching something with funi's video again, the hue difference is unbearable, but do I have a choice >_>

Terror in Resonance Ep 1

An alternate universe in which Smile and Peco (Ping Pong) decide to move to Tokyo, change their identities and become terrorists.

Yes, I will accept this as canon.

On a Side note, is anyone who watched the original run of Psycho-Pass going to watch the re-air? I want to know if it will be a Persona 4 Golden kind of definitive edition thing, or just added scenes of Akane eating toast like others have said.

Episode 2 spoilers
You kinda are, which is a very big issue with me right now. That huge blast at the end of episode one doesn't kill anybody and it looks like the 2nd blast doesn't either. It seems like the terrorists are intentionally trying to avoid casualties.

You can show characters in sympathetic lights without wanting the audience as a whole to be sympathetic to the characters. I think two great cases are Walter White and Tony Soprano where both are shown multiple times in this manner but the audience isn't supposed to sympathize with them as a whole.

By the end of Breaking Bad, definitely. But the first and even second season, we were definitely still supposed to sympathize with the character as a whole.

I don't think we're at Breaking Bad finale levels yet with these two terrorists. We'll see though.

Jarmel

Banned
Terror in Resonance 1

And the girl going SPLOOGE in the final moment instead of being afragid because some terrorists made me lol.

The show
explains in excruciating detail how the bombs destroyed the building in episode 2. Much more detail than is necessary for a work like this. The girl was obviously following them that's how she met up with them in the building.

I also thought the show made it clear that both
guys were super geniuses, possibly a result from whatever happened when they're kids

Tokyo Ghoul 2

Dat censorship. Dat fight animation.

Was it implied in the manga
Hide was awake during the conversation, thus making it clear he knew Kaneki is a ghoul?
Don't remember and I'm too lazy to check right now.

Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin - 09

Mr unlikeable is still there and is actually broken as possible in term of specs

Ryuugajou%20Nanana%20no%20Maizoukin%20-%2009.jpg

except avoiding it and counter , something you just did

HUm the plot is messed up;.but the numbers of sub plots is not that big of a deal , it's just that Mr unlikeable is doing his job of being the final boss so much that it's becoming predictable.
I do like the reveal about yun, it added an intresting backstory let's see how it goes from there.

I also thought the show made it clear that both
guys were super geniuses, possibly a result from whatever happened when they're kids

Yeah, I also got that, they give you a clue (the smiling boy remembering the every student's name, and the tall one reminds him that's unnatural). Put that together they grew in some undisclosed facility and it's 2+2. I suppose they will say they used their super intelligence to put the bombs in specific areas which provoked a structural damage that in a chained reaction blah blah blah

Hugstable

Banned
Fate/Zero Season 2 Episode 2

Saber cements her how badass she is the second she gets her left arm back. I feel bad for Kariya
gets burnt like hell from Tokiomi's Fire Magic and ends up falling all the way below, only for Kirei to show up and do what seems like torturing him. Unless he's actually healing him and trying to form an alliance.
Must keep watching..

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah, I also got that, they give you a clue (the smiling boy remembering the every student's name, and the tall one reminds him that's unnatural). Put that together they grew in some undisclosed facility and it's 2+2. I suppose they will say they used their super intelligence to put the bombs in specific areas which provoked a structural damage that in a chained reaction blah blah blah

Episode 2 brief non-important spoilers
Well location yes but the bombs caused a thermite reaction and some other shit. The show spends like five minutes explaining it, really drags the 2nd episode's pacing to shit.

Mature

What? Of course there would be. If you didn't give a realistic approach to characters who have the central role of the show, they would be one dimensional and boorish. Just because they're not constantly rubbing their hands together deciding how they're going to wrong everyone they see doesn't make them any less evil or any easier to feel sympathy for. The dream sequence gives context to their actions— it doesn't justify it.

Episode 2 spoilers

Yeah, I don't buy it still. They're using violence to incite terror. They obviously didn't steal that weapon at the beginning not to use it. Honestly, we're pretty early on in the show, so it's hard to make conclusions either way. I just think it's silly to watch the first episode and say "They WANT me to feel sympathy for these awful people" when I think that's sort of missing the point. My shot in the dark prediction is that Nine will begin to lose his edge with Risa around which might make Twelve and Nine split paths.

AldNoah Zero

Ugh really don't like its similarities to Eva (did Eva start it off with its success?): kids piloting mechs to fight "aliens" but I guess when else are massive mechs required. Still don't understand why teenagers are piloting it.

Its pretty good. Nice first episode setting up the premise. 37 sounds like a lot of mechs to fight. Surely they will skip some.

Also, straight recognised Sawano's hand in the music. I finally understand why anime gaf doesn't like him and now I agree.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Tokyo Ghoul Episode 2:

I am getting the feeling that I would be better served in reading the manga, the shonen approach to things just isn't working here.

Terror:

I'm fully expecting it to devolve into a love triangle that causes strife between them all because why introduce bullied girl and have her getting all hot and bothered over them and joining them? Her purpose is to cause conflict between the two and even more conflict when she chooses smiling terrorist and cold terrorist becomes even more bitter.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Zankyou no Terror - 01

Sounds like you have a problem with humans being portrayed as human beings!

Terror:

I'm fully expecting it to devolve into a love triangle that causes strife between them all because why introduce bullied girl and have her getting all hot and bothered over them and joining them? Her purpose is to cause conflict between the two and even more conflict when she chooses smiling terrorist and cold terrorist becomes even more bitter.

Please no

What? Of course there would be. If you didn't give a realistic approach to characters who have the central role of the show, they would be one dimensional and boorish. Just because they're not constantly rubbing their hands together deciding how they're going to wrong everyone they see doesn't make them any less evil or any easier to feel sympathy for. The dream sequence gives context to their actions— it doesn't justify it.

I didn't say it justified anything. I still maintain that pretty much all villains who aren't one dimensional and boorish almost always have either redeeming qualities or extenuating circumstances (or both) that the viewers are meant to sympathize or identify with.

But I agree that it's way too early to draw conclusions here.

AldNoah Zero

Ugh really don't like its similarities to Eva (did Eva start it off with its success?): kids piloting mechs to fight "aliens" but I guess when else are massive mechs required. Still don't understand why teenagers are piloting it.

I'm not a mech expert, but I believe teenager mech pilots predate Evangelion by a good amount. Anyone can confirm?

Mature

Terror:

Just the thought of this hurts me. :(

Terror:

Yep, still what I'm expecting. Please make me wrong. Please.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Sort of see the girl in Terror as being a
catalyst for giving a more human and relatable perspective to the larger-than-life nature of the two main protagonists.. she is reflects the nature of the viewer more than anything else

Tokyo Ghoul EP2

This episode basically exacerbates the former episode's issues. It's just so god damn edgy. Like what is this shit at the beginning with the female ghoul hitting and kicking our MC. I just hate these kinds of "I'm just gonna try to violently beat sense into you!" scenarios. The melodramatic eating sessions also returned.

Overall I'm already completely fed up with the "I'm not a Ghoul/Human" and "I can't eat anything" problems. That's just 2 episodes and I imagine they'll want to keep those as central issues for the foreseeable future.

I'm not even necessarily opposed to those ideas, it's just they're pretty much screaming it in your face constantly.

The battles don't really grab me at all either, I just don't think the animation is all that great and with the large amount of censoring it just looks stupid.

Blusby

Tokyo Ghoul EP2

This episode basically exacerbates the former episode's issues. It's just so god damn edgy. Like what is this shit at the beginning with the female ghoul hitting and kicking our MC. I just hate these kinds of "I'm just gonna try to violently beat sense into you!" scenarios. The melodramatic eating sessions also returned.

She made it quite clear that she was angry because Kaneki was basically talking shit about her life as a ghoul but yeah I'm not even gonna defend how this adaption is being handled, it's pretty mediocre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom