• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Terror in Resonance 01

ibvOWdXvYog8aV.jpg
iGVODjRsA7BzC.jpg

Really strong first episode. The opening heist sequence feels reminiscent of the bomb search scene in the Cowboy Bebop film. Prime example of great editing and intercutting to create a rising sense of action; Watanabe is a master at this.

Speaking of Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heaven's Door, I'm getting a lot of similar vibes from TiR, thematically. Both dealt with the idea of terrorists created as a result of evil government plots(at least, that's what I'm assuming TiR is going for right now). It will be interesting to see where they go with this.

The animation and art direction were pretty much flawless as well, the sort of sickly and green-tinted high-contrast lighting create a feeling of unease and something that's not quite right. The background art also does a good job of establishing each location as a believable and real place; you certainly feel like you're in the middle of a large and sprawling metropolis during the episode. And Kanno's soundtrack is great as always.

The Koike ED looks really great, and the OP is one of the best I've seen in a while, especially in terms of its layers of symbolism and meaning; it's not just random sequences they thought would look cool. I might write more on this later.

I must not have been paying attention. I'm currently working from home at the moment so I'm kind of splitting my attention between this and work.

Ah, understandable. Well
he shows that ability for the first time when Kagetora is chasing him on some rooftops. I forgot what episode but it was at least 3 (probably more) before the end.

TUSR

Banned
Not gone , on hold. i can actually accept only this amount of information since it's enough for now. We have a valid justification for the MC habilities.

It was an alright setup as to why our MC ended up on the island, but in the first couple of episode there was exposition on the Matsuri organization and then we just stopped hearing about them. Full stop.

I disagree.
He was unlikeable but certainly not boring. in fact he had presence made people scared , angry or made them feel powerless.. he was actually doing a great job as a vilain.

The villian, he was stereotypical, too cool for school kind of attitude. He was imposing on the other characters but other than that he didn't do much for me.

Witch one ? the sister-like ninja that teached him all he knows or the bookworm that is his classmate ?
Regardless , things were actually adressed with ninja girl so again it's a case for more episode.

I forgot about the bookworm one completely, the ninja one. Was she the one with the large Suguhas?

I agree.
There are too many sub plot with so many characters that exist for only 1 scene or a couple of them. 2 cour should have been better for such material.

This is another show that would have benefited so much from a full order. There was just too much and not enough time. The show had a lot of potential, but the 1 cour order was a shot in the foot.

According to many anime , it's not a problem.
However i don't think it's love, more friendship

I want him to resurrect Nanan and live happily ever after, but whatever.

Probably covered later. Disapointed we don't have an answer but understandable.
Mayve if we had a 12th episode they could have put something in that fit this agenda.
Why 11 eps anyway ?

They said she was used for testing the treasure room, then she showed up strangely in the epilogue. Kind of wish they didn't do it how they did and just gave us a 12th episode for setup.

WHAT OF THE OTHER GREAT 7 ?
Dammit ;-;

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The show ended up being around a 7/10 for me, I really did like it. But I can't even remember many of the characters names. I honestly do hope it gets picked up for a S2 because I see potential in the show.

Soma

Reminder that Sakamoto desu ga? needs an anime adaption so people can recognize the true master of swag.

kA4SNUt.jpg

Narukami ain't got shit on him.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Terror in Resonance Episode 1:

Well then, this series leaves me conflicted, but not in the way I think it intended. I am trying to decide if the first episode I watched was good and right now I am leaning towards no. I am finding myself in agreement that the execution of this series feels off from some indeterminable reason. Well, maybe not wholly as I can tell you right now that having the terrorists motivations and intent being muddled was a huge mistake. I can clearly see they are building towards deep mysterious experiment and the terrorists are probably the "good" guys. I will have to wait before I can ponder this too much further since the layers need to unravel themselves. To put it in basic terms, I should not be asking why terrorist are trying to inflict terror among the populace, usually that bit is very up front.
Also, no, just no, you don't get to sell me on such blatant 9/11 imagery cooked up from two school kids especially in a post 9-11 world. No bloody way is that building that fucking lacking in security.

Glasslip 2

I really liked this episode. It was much better paced than the last episode, animation is still top notch and was able to get to it's main premise quickly.
It seems they can only "hear" or "see" the future if it only pertains to themselves.
The group dynamics were better fleshed out and it now feels like a real group of friends all with unique personalities. Despite everything they all seem very close and play off each other well. They are all really likable characters. This episode wasn't boring or oddly paced like the last episode. It moved quickly but it wasn't badly paced. It's also interesting to see how protective the group of friends are with one another.

Music for the show is still quite something. It's really, really well done. It really sets the mood in each scene well. The OP is still one of the best of this summer season of anime so far and the ED is still... decent. The middle card and how it transitions in the middle is a cool direction.

I am now looking forward to seeing the rest of this show. First episode didn't leave the best first impression but on it's second chance it did a really great job.

Well, once Tokyo ESP starts in about 20 hours, Summer 2014 will be in full swing for me. Ended up with the following:

Akame, Barakamon, Hanayamata, Persona 4 Golden, Hamatora, Sabagebu, Sword Art, Zankyou no Terror, Rail Wars!, Nozaki.

Less than I'd initially planned. I dropped Glasslip, Tokyo Ghoul, and Jinsei, but I added Nozaki, which I'd previously written off.

How'd everyone else's first week go? Anything you guys are still waiting on?

Edit: I realize now that I forgot I also have Yama no Susume season 2, as well as Sailor Moon. So I actually ended up with exactly the number I thought I'd have; just not exactly the right shows.

Still waiting on Tokyo ESP and that Ghost magical girl show, Rokojouma something something

Pretty good first week, picked up more then I bargained for. Will probably drop half of it like always

Saturday is stacked compared to every other day. 6 shows, but at least Sailor Moon Crystal is bi weekly

Chariot

Well, once Tokyo ESP starts in about 20 hours, Summer 2014 will be in full swing for me. Ended up with the following:

Akame, Barakamon, Hanayamata, Persona 4 Golden, Hamatora, Sabagebu, Sword Art, Zankyou no Terror, Rail Wars!, Nozaki.

Less than I'd initially planned. I dropped Glasslip, Tokyo Ghoul, and Jinsei, but I added Nozaki, which I'd previously written off.

jb0OICQFLV2b0R.png

I will look at Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus, because that was my favorite arc in Black Butler and I was so sad that it wasn't in the show, I will have at least a short look at P4G, Tokyo ESP is awesome, I've read the manga and will enjoy it animated, Tankyou no Terror of course and Psycho-Pass New Edit.

That's already more than I wanted to watch @.@

Jarmel

Banned
Terror in Resonance 01
The Koike ED looks really great, and the OP is one of the best I've seen in a while, especially in terms of its layers of symbolism and meaning; it's not just random sequences they thought would look cool. I might write more on this later.

Please do as I can't make heads or tails out of the OP other than some obvious symbolism like the fence stuff.

Terror in Resonance 1
From the plainly unrealistic (not even military grade explosive can demolish that building) to the just contrived coincidences (of course the girl meets them in the building, and of course it happens to be saved by some trauma of the mc) and unexplained stuff (where do they get all that stuff?

So rewatching the first episode and turns out there was a school trip to the Tokyo Metropolitan building. She either was following or happened to run into them. It's not a stretch at all.

Then later, the elevators are shut down and 9/12 are both running from floor to floor so they have to use the emergency stairs, same as her.

Still waiting on Tokyo ESP and that Ghost magical girl show, Rokojouma something something

Pretty good first week, picked up more then I bargained for. Will probably drop half of it like always

Saturday is stacked compared to every other day. 6 shows, but at least Sailor Moon Crystal is bi weekly

I've read the sources on Akame and SAO, so those won't get dropped. Persona, Rail Wars!, Nozaki, and Sabagebu are silly fun, so those are probably safe, too. Hanayamata, Yama no Susume, and Barakamon are my Iyashikei and/or cute girls doing cute things for the season so those are safe as well.

Pretty much only Hamatora, ESP (though I pretty much know nothing about it), and Zankyou no Terror can be dropped at this point. Gonna be a packed season for me, haha.

OMG New season of Encouragement of Climb? And the episodes are longer? And 24 episodes?

Thank you lord ;_;

This was my exact reaction. You and I are friends now.

Soma

First episode rankings for me is looking like:

Terror in Resonance > Barakamon > Space Dandy S2 > Nozaki-kun > Yama no Susume > Aldnaoh.Zero (everything past here looking likely to drop) > Tokyo Ghoul > Persona 4 Golden > Akame ga Kill

firehawk12

Subete no aware
rofl everyones seen schooldays or at least i presume i remember when i was in high school and that last episode happened i think i never laughed so hard at the level of comeuppens for a main character in my life (i really hated makoto and sekai)

i saw ano natsu :D i really enjoyed it

hmm what about romantic anime films? anyone got any suggestions on that front? ive been trying to find some good ones but the selection seems kinda lack luster :T
Films are harder. Maybe From up on Poppy Hill?

I'll give you a nuggie.
Kanna tears delicious!

---
Yama no Susume is back!!!
awVFwgGl.png

Tokyo Esp manga is legit. The quality gap between that and the author's previous work (Ga-Rei) is proof that people can improve DRAMATICALLY at everything they do.

Can't speak for the anime yet of course. Hoping it's good.

StormKing

Watching Mahouka, Aldnoah, Akame, Nozaki, SAO2, Glasslip and Argevollen.

Zankyou no Terror had impressive animations but I didn't really feel connected to any of the characters. I'm not sure what they aimed to accomplish through the heist and the bombings. They seemed like random acts of terrorism.

Vylash

Persona 4: The Golden Animation 01

i5zKt3ohP0kix.gif

Well that was fine, a bit rushed but Marie is the only one that matters and they probably didn't wanna do a cold open with just her social link, but apparently Kanji is next episode? Get rekt, Priestess Arcana.

Can't wait to see your impressions of ep3. Beware of umbrellas.

DO NOT READ THIS if you're currently watching Another.
Fucking seriously though, do umbrellas (outside purposeful weapon hybrids) with tips that sharp actually exist? In any time period? I mean, I loved Another, but the entire time I saw that death unfolding I was like "No, really? Like, is that...no way...YES, YES IT REALLY IS. AHAHAHA"

Funny, I just asked. Mockingbird is going to ask the dude about the progress sometime next week.

Awesome, thanks. I'll let Umbra know as well.

Tokyo Esp manga is legit. The quality gap between that and the author's previous work (Ga-Rei) is proof that people can improve DRAMATICALLY at everything they do.

I didn't realize it was the same author. I enjoyed Ga-Rei, so if this is better, I'll have fun with this, too.

Blusby

Pretty good season, ended up picking up 19 series (that includes shorts like Gundam-san, Himegoto, Yami Shibai II).

Glasslip 02: This is not only boring but also stupid to boot! I'm only gonna stick around for the cute tsundere's suffering.

Persona 4 Golden the Animation 01: Alright, this seems like it's gonna be fun to watch. It seems like it's made for fans of the series as they're cutting through rather quick and Yu has become one swagalicious beast.

As for first episode rankings:
Zankyou no Terror = Aldnoah.Zero > Akame ga Kill! > Barakamon > Nozaki-kun > I can't care to sort out the rest

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
My watch list for the season is far from finalized since I give certain shows 4 episodes at most to prove to me that they are worth watching or they get dropped.

Chariot

I dunno, I liked Ga-Rei. Especially the mafia arc was fun. The only thing that bothered me was the anticlimatic ending.

Watching Mahouka, Aldnoah, Akame, Nozaki, SAO2, Glasslip and Argevollen.

Zankyou no Terror had impressive animations but I didn't really feel connected to any of the characters. I'm not sure what they aimed to accomplish through the heist and the bombings. They seemed like random acts of terrorism.

Hey you should add Barakamon to your list its great.

Narag

Converted the times provided by CureVylash.

Times are UTC/EST/PST

Monday
CR - HaNaYaMaTa - 19:00/14:00/11:00
CR - Blue Spring Ride - 19:30/14:30/11:30

Tuesday
CR - Sabagebu! - Survival Game Club! - 16:00/11:00/08:00

Wednesday
CR/FN - Free! Eternal Summer - 16:30/11:30/08:30
CR - Samurai Jam-Bakumatsu Rock - 17:00/12:00/09:00
CR - Love Stage! - 18:45/13:45/10:45
CR - Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA ILLYA 2wei! - 19:15/14:15/11:15
CR - Momo Kyun Sword - 19:30/14:30/11:30

Thursday
CR - Glasslip - 16:00/11:00/08:00
CR - ARGEVOLLEN - 16:30/11:30/08:30
CR- Locodol - 20:00/15:00/12:00
CR/DS - Persona 4 Golden: The Animation - 20:00/15:00/12:00
FN - Tokyo Ghoul - 17:00/12:00/09:00
FN - Terror in Resonance - 17:50/12:50/09:50
FN/DS - Black Butler Book of Circus - 20:20/15:20/12:20

Saturday
CR/HL - Sailor Moon Crystal - 11:00/06:00/03:00
CR/DS - Sword Art Online II - 17:30/12:30/09:30
CR/DS - Aldnoah Zero - 18:00/13:00/10:00
CR - Rail Wars! - 4:00(Sun)/23:00/20:00

Sunday
CR - Akame Ga Kill - 17:00/12:00/09:00
CR - DRAMAtical Murder - 19:00/14:00/11:00
CR - Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories 2 - 19:30/14:30/11:30
CR - Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun - 20:05/15:05/12:05
FN - Space☆Dandy 2nd Season - 15:30/10:30/07:30

Legend:
CR = Crunchyroll
FN = Funimation
HL = Hulu
DS = Daisuki

The B in BGBW stands for best.

So what is more SyFy bullshit of the new noitaminA block, Psychopass or Terror in Tokyo?

Right now? Psycho-Pass. I haven't really seen anything inherently sci-fi about Zankyou no Terror.
Well, I guess the whole government facility resulting in genius children thing that they've implied is kinda sci-fi

DO NOT READ THIS if you're currently watching Another.
Fucking seriously though, do umbrellas (outside purposeful weapon hybrids) with tips that sharp actually exist? In any time period? I mean, I loved Another, but the entire time I saw that death unfolding I was like "No, really? Like, is that...no way...YES, YES IT REALLY IS. AHAHAHA"

I have an umbrella similar to the one in the anime with a long pointed metal tip. While not very sharp I could see it doing some damage if you fell on it with enough force. I don't know if it would happen like in the anime. I don't use that umbrella any more.

I have an umbrella similar to the one in the anime with a long pointed metal tip. While not very sharp I could see it doing some damage if you fell on it with enough force. I don't know if it would happen like in the anime. I don't use that umbrella any more.

Huh. The more you know. Scary, scary world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom