• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must also remember my view of Rebellion is colored by the fact I adore Mami. Rebellion was a great movie for all the Mami fans.

I do give the movie props though, I actually felt awful for Homura when you realize how fucking broken she is when she turns into a witch and how deep, and creepy, her love of Madoka is. Too bad that didn't last very long.

I feel the same way (though I'm not as big of a fan of Mami as you are) :p

I felt bad enough for Homura long before Rebellion and seeing all that pain, misery, and despair that girl is going through is just heartbreaking to watch!

And the final ending twist is what makes the entire movie one-giant sucker-punch! You want this character to be happy. You want to see this sadness end! And it does. Are we happy? NO BECAUSE NOW SHE'S A FREAKING VILLAIN. I guess in hindsight that's pretty damn clever and what makes a good movie.

But the fact remains is that Madoka Magica already had a decent ending that was the closest thing people could get to a happy ending given the circumstances. And making an unnecessary sequel that ends on a huge cliffhanger and throws all that away feels like one big gut punch to all those who loved it! It's just damn infuriating and unnecessary!

Syrinx

An important criteria for me is basically "does this show feel like it's made by people who like what they're making". It usually shows through in either VA, animation, writing, or all three. If I can feel the enthusiasm by the studio making it in the product, they can sell me on almost any type of show.

Eh, I'm really not sure I'd be able to adequately qualify this to the point where I'd use it as a criteria for watching something.

That said, part of the reason I hated Infinite Stratos so much was because it felt so cynically phoned in by everybody involved in it. So I guess it is a part of my criteria.

Wuh. But I don't... why would you... how is it possible...

Why?

I don't understand it myself. Looking back I don't know how I did it. I clearly didn't like it.

I was on an anime splurge that month and was going through all the anime on Netflix. I think I watched about 15-20 anime that month. Trust me Dance in the Vampire Bund wasn't the only bad show I watched all the way through that month. The Sacred Blacksmith was another. But a character in that show shared my last name so that's probably why I watched it all the way through. Started and dropped Excel Saga that month too.

It wasn't all bad though. I watched Ga-Rei Zero and Kaze no Stigma that month too. Those shows also made me sad that there were no second season for either.

I feel the same. I saw the potential and i want more of this show.

--------------------
Fate kalied 2wei - 01

God bless silver link that got MORE MONEY and used it well to make more detailled backgrounds , more CGs and more useless complex animation for the side characters !

If it starts this good i guess i can look forward to see the BIG battles of this season properly animated and that's a WIn in my book.
Now i only wish to see the extra chapter and the fillers stuff but they already talked about "the beach" so i guess that one is going to be a given.

Great first ep

I am not a magic girl show fan but it was made by Silver Link? Might have to watch it since they made my favorite comedy anime Baka & Test.

I feel the same way (though I'm not as big of a fan of Mami as you are) :p

I felt bad enough for Homura long before Rebellion and seeing all that pain, misery, and despair that girl is going through is just heartbreaking to watch!

And the final ending twist is what makes the entire movie one-giant sucker-punch! You want this character to be happy. You want to see this sadness end! And it does. Are we happy? NO BECAUSE NOW SHE'S A FREAKING VILLAIN. I guess in hindsight that's pretty damn clever and what makes a good movie.

But the fact remains is that Madoka Magica already had a decent ending that was the closest thing people could get to a happy ending given the circumstances. And making an unnecessary sequel that ends on a huge cliffhanger and throws all that away feels like one big gut punch to all those who loved it! It's just damn infuriating and unnecessary!
I would have liked it to end with Homura being taken to Magical Girl Heaven but eh, I certainly look forward to what they're going to do with the story now.

Jarmel

Banned
ilya 2wei 1

that budget lol. rip rest of the show. And so much high budget lewdness....

And another???

Will keep watching for now.

The first episode wasn't even that lewd though. There were a couple of male gaze shots with the sister waking up on the couch but that's it.

On the plus side, I did see One Piece movie 6 again.

Which is always entertaining.

Are you a masochist, by chance?

No :(

I watched Strong World and Film Z and the Bleach movie where Ichigo goes to hell

For some reason I find the Dragonball movies far more entertaining

SW and Z are good and that Bleach movie was so-so except for those berserk Ichigo moments.

DBZ movies are a big hit or miss though.

um...well...at least One Piece movie 12 and 13 were good...

There's a 13?

I would have liked it to end with Homura being taken to Magical Girl Heaven but eh, I certainly look forward to what they're going to do with the story now.

Well, I have to admit. The idea of
Homura becoming an opposite entity to Madoka
sounds cool in theory, but it was really something that I'd rather not see hit the big production stage if
you have no sequel planned yet!
That's the real big gut-punch for me!

But on another Madoka-related subject, I'm replaying Xenoblade and it has given me this weird idea on how the series could possibly continue and given what happened in Rebellion, I could actually see happening.

P4GA 1

that max social link swag. Seems like the characters are more on model than the other show. the cg... that... fight animation....

marie <3

wonder how many more animated projects there will be for P4. how much more can you milk?

Soma

Tokyo Ghoul Ep. 2

Yeah thinking about dropping this. Fight scene was nice but brief.

Been reading the manga and it's actually pretty decent. I've got about 20 chapters into it but I'm enjoying this much more than the anime. The story really benefits from better structuring of events and some really striking artwork.

Branduil

Terror in Resonance OP: analysis

The opening credits for this series have a lot of neat visuals, alongside a nice song, but more than that, I think there's a lot of meaning and subtext in the specific imagery chosen, so let's analyze that.

isNLHo0UxvM96.jpg
ibeBdmOEYZrxwE.jpg

They begin with an explosion of some kind, followed by quick, eerie shots of the two leads. The entire opening is overlaid with a variety of digital overlays and graphics, a fairly common effect used in credit sequences. It can suggest multilayered stories, hidden structures, a fake world, or it can be used just to look cool. I would theorize, for now, that the first two are the most likely meanings.

We move on to establishing the setting, Tokyo. The shots chosen create an image of a sprawling, interconnected and modern city. The shot of a spiral staircase, with digital distortion, foreshadows something disturbing the order of the city, something spiraling out of control.

The shot of a young Twelve with the images of the gear/clock-like structures overlaid inside of him suggests a mechanical and calculating soul. We then see what appears to be Twelve and Nine calmly watching a nuclear blast, a disturbing incongruity which speaks to both their abnormal character and implies they might have played a hand in it happening.

Next come two of the more potent symbols in the show. We see a young Twelve and Nine standing behind a fence and watching three birds, two black and one white, fly away over a twilit Tokyo. Metaphors using birds are extremely common; they can generically symbolize freedom; black birds, such as crows and ravens, commonly symbolize tricksters or ill omens. A white bird can symbolize innocence or peace. In this case, the two black birds are obviously representations of Twelve and Nine, with the white bird representing the other child no longer with them(and whom Twelve wants to use Lisa as a substitute for).

We then see a fence the camera is rapidly pushing towards, implying a first-person shot of running. The fence stands for both boundaries, separating two worlds from each, and entrapment, a device used to cage things and deny them their freedom.

We return to the gear/clock devices. Twelve and Nine stand in complementary poses, showing their unity of mind and the calculating, patient nature of their plans. Nine stands in a confident and glowering posture, hiding his eyes and thus his thoughts behind his glasses.

We first see Lisa leaning on a metal beam for support. She appears both weak and weary. The fence returns, a visualization of how Lisa feels trapped in her world. The camera reverses to her POV, viewing Twelve and Nine on the other side of the fence. She wishes to cross the "forbidden" boundary and escape to the "freedom" they seem to promise her.

Of course, the scene then transitions to one of the more disquieting sequences in the OP. A cheerful Twelve gives way to a malicious, cold grin. The multiple frames suggest duplicity and omniscience. The clear implication is that Twelve is not to be trusted.

Tokyo dissolves into pixelated virtual structure, possibly representing the hidden infrastructure of the city, as well as the cold, mechanical way the protagonists analyze the city. We zoom in to Shibasaki, showing him as part of the city, but also possibly special in some way, as he alone is able to gaze back at the camera.

The initial shot of Five, focusing on her chest, can obviously function as fanservice/male gaze, but we quickly pan up to her face, where the ambiguous backdrop, harsh lighting, and the scissors she holds in her hands suggest we shouldn't judge her by our initial "lustful" impression; she's a dangerous woman, and possibly a serious wildcard in the story.

Lisa runs as the background and people behind her increasingly blur into abstract streaks. The farther she runs from her problems, the more she will lose her connection to humanity and civilization; yet she feels naked and vulnerable, so she will keep running, seeing our two leads and their dangerous plots as her only future.

Nine stands atop a skyscraper overlooking all of Tokyo, like a strategist looking down on a map. The lack of glasses implies this is his true self. He blindly leaps backwards amidst gravity-defying glass shards in a seemingly suicidal plunge, but the smile on his face suggests it's all part of his plan; he's not afraid to cross the line of no return. Besides being a self-homage to Cowboy Bebop, the "bang" sign with his hand shows a certain playful disdain and condescension towards his enemies.

The final shot shows Twelve and Nine looking at Tokyo with a fence inbetween them. The fence could represent a Tokyo that's been caged by the two masterminds, but its shape is ambiguous; it could also represent a Twelve and Nine that have been caged by the city and those the city symbolizes. We see the white feather from the bird again, and they stand in a field of grass, an ironically peaceful image since that's the last thing they plan to bring to Tokyo.

Clov

I keep seeing boxset for S2 at the mall for months. nobodys buying it so I might just go nab it tomorrow (watch somebody bought it tonight)

This reminds me; for three years, my local HMV had a single volume of Shuffle in stock. This was after companies had switched to doing complete collections or half collections, and there was just this volume of Shuffle sitting all alone. Full priced. I wonder if someone bought it or if an employee just took it home out of pity.

cajunator

Banned
This reminds me; for three years, my local HMV had a single volume of Shuffle in stock. This was after companies had switched to doing complete collections or half collections, and there was just this volume of Shuffle sitting all alone. Full priced. I wonder if someone bought it or if an employee just took it home out of pity.

There is so much full priced single volume stuff at FYE. they will never ever sell that stuff unless they slash prices. Some of it is really nostalgic.
FYE has the best selection of new anime though. Its actually not bad overall.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Admittedly I've only taken one course that dealt with Derrida and deconstruction (it was just a general literary theory course, so it didn't go too deep), but doesn't Madoka have some deconstructive elements? If I'm remembering right, deconstruction reverses the importance of or disrupts a hierarchy within a text. Within most magical anime, the decision to become a magical girl happens within the first episode; it comes quickly, on impulse. It's something that's naturally assumed to just "happen". By focusing on that decision to become a magical girl, Madoka explores what it actually means to make it. Is that not deconstructive?

I'm honestly curious here. Since I haven't studied deconstruction as much as other subjects, my understanding of it may be flawed. Is there something I've missed?
Subversion is not deconstruction. Deconstruction has nothing to do with disrupting some kind of hierarchy. It's a methodology of interpreting creative works outside the bounds of authorial intent. I don't feel like going into it that much but this is at least a basic definition of it: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/deconstruction?q=deconstruction

Clov

There is so much full priced single volume stuff at FYE. they will never ever sell that stuff unless they slash prices. Some of it is really nostalgic.
FYE has the best selection of new anime though. Its actually not bad overall.

I've been to that store when I visited the States. They had a good selection! I remember I picked up my Ghost in the Shell DVD there! Thankfully I'll be able to replace that soon.

I keep seeing boxset for S2 at the mall for months. nobodys buying it so I might just go nab it tomorrow (watch somebody bought it tonight)

I have the box set. It's really nice. And it has a whole load of original Baka & Test specials in it. All of them gold.

This really needs a S3. The LN's all done even.

I hear ya. Someone get in contact with Silver Link and get them to give us the 3rd and FINAL season. I need closure.

Persona - The golden animation - 01

LoooooooooooooooL

This isn't just some new game plus narukami yu

This is some new game plus plus plus plus plus plus plus plus plus stuff.

All the swag is at max level, all the stats are at 5..this is going to be some superb stuff.
I think the original animation did a good job with the source material and while they took some HUGE liberties it doesn't feel like they are doing anything wrong with the source material.

ARGEVOLLEN 2

You know, for a fairly average mecha anime with solid animation, I'm being quite entertained by this so far. I maintain the belief that watching giant robot fights is one of life's simple pleasures.

Hattori

Banned
That show looks great can't wait to watch it over the weekend. Terror in Resonance + Barakamon = &#12372;&#12367;&#12425;&#12367;&#12289;&#12372;&#12367;&#12425;&#12367; &#12541;(^&#12290;^)&#20031;

Branduil

Deconstruction as a term used by airmchair anime analysts has generally come to mean a show that takes silly anime tropes and then examines them seriously, especially in regards to examining the logical consequences of a trope. Hence Evangelion is a "deconstruction" of mecha anime where a kid has to pilot a robot made by his previously absent father in order to save the world.

Doesn't really have anything to do with the original use of the word, but whatever.

Clov

Subversion is not deconstruction. Deconstruction has nothing to do with disrupting some kind of hierarchy. It's a methodology of interpreting creative works outside the bounds of authorial intent. I don't feel like going into it that much but this is at least a basic definition of it: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/deconstruction?q=deconstruction

Reminds me a lot of what I studied of Barthes. Hopefully I can learn more about this during the coursework I'll be doing for my master's degree (though there's no guarantee I'll end up dealing with Derrida at all).

Deconstruction as a term used by airmchair anime analysts has generally come to mean a show that takes silly anime tropes and then examines them seriously, especially in regards to examining the logical consequences of a trope. Hence Evangelion is a "deconstruction" of mecha anime where a kid has to pilot a robot made by his previously absent father in order to save the world.

Doesn't really have anything to do with the original use of the word, but whatever.

I know for certain that that is not deconstruction, at the very least! It's more involved than that, but at the same time it's also not what I had thought it was.

In its original context, it was used to critique language, wasn't it? Or am I off the mark on this one as well?

cajunator

Banned
I have the box set. It's really nice. And it has a whole load of original Baka & Test specials in it. All of them gold.

I hear ya. Someone get in contact with Silver Link and get them to give us the 3rd and FINAL season. I need closure.

YEah I might get it tomorrow for the hell of it. I have S1.

That cutscene that should have been Kugyuu singing was like a bunch of knives in my ears.

Why no dual audio you fuckers.

I hate that. Sometimes I want to hear the squee japanese voices. Is that so much to ask?

StormKing

ARGEVOLLEN 2

You know, for a fairly average mecha anime with solid animation, I'm being quite entertained by this so far. I maintain the belief that watching giant robot fights is one of life's simple pleasures.

Same here. My expectations for this show are not high, so it's surprisingly enjoyable thus far.

Jarmel

Banned
Super good post. I'll add some of my opinions in there.
Terror in Resonance OP: analysis

We move on to establishing the setting, Tokyo. The shots chosen create an image of a sprawling, interconnected and modern city. The shot of a spiral staircase, with digital distortion, foreshadows something disturbing the order of the city, something spiraling out of control.

You could also tie the idea of interconnection with communication. Text messages were pretty pivotal in the first episode, not only in how Nine contacts Twelve but also Lisa's mother, not to mention that cell phones were being used to set off the bombs. The digital effects could tie into this aspect as well.

The shot of a young Twelve with the images of the gear/clock-like structures overlaid inside of him suggests a mechanical and calculating soul. We then see what appears to be Twelve and Nine calmly watching a nuclear blast, a disturbing incongruity which speaks to both their abnormal character and implies they might have played a hand in it happening.

It might also be foreshadowing in that they set a bomb off. Either way it mixes the idea of innocence overlapping with the idea of some horrific event. Children are usually associated with innocence and naivety while nukes are the epitome of death.

We return to the gear/clock devices. Twelve and Nine stand in complementary poses, showing their unity of mind and the calculating, patient nature of their plans. Nine stands in a confident and glowering posture, hiding his eyes and thus his thoughts behind his glasses.

You could also add stuff about how glasses can be used to represent the separation of the person from reality in that the glasses can either as act as a filter for a person or a barrier. In Nine's case I would say a barrier works fairly well in that he blocks outsiders out. You could add though that he sees the world around him analytically through his glasses.

Nine and Twelve being back to back could also be foreshadowing in that they might go their own ways at one point in the story.
Tokyo dissolves into pixelated virtual structure, possibly representing the hidden infrastructure of the city, as well as the cold, mechanical way the protagonists analyze the city. We zoom in to Shibasaki, showing him as part of the city, but also possibly special in some way, as he alone is able to gaze back at the camera.

Shibasaki's stuff looks mechanical ( like someone used a protractor) so it might be a look into his mindset. Also if we're going with the camera being the perspective of the protagonists then Shibasaki staring back would imply that not only he's being watched but also by whom, so Shibasaki is the one tracking the protagonists essentially.

Nine stands atop a skyscraper overlooking all of Tokyo, like a strategist looking down on a map. The lack of glasses implies this is his true self. He blindly leaps backwards amidst gravity-defying glass shards in a seemingly suicidal plunge, but the smile on his face suggests it's all part of his plan; he's not afraid to cross the line of no return. Besides being a self-homage to Cowboy Bebop, the "bang" sign with his hand shows a certain playful disdain and condescension towards his enemies.

As to the lack of glasses, this was seen in the first episode after he wakes up from the dream and it's the audience's first time seeing him react in an atypical fashion(for himself anyway). In the night sequence, he's visibly shaken.

Edit:lol last post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom