• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zankyou No Terror 1

I don't know if I'm really in the mood for villain protagonists right now. Might watch one or two more episodes to see how the opposing side gets fleshed out

Mokoi

Banned
Terror in Tokyo 1

I have to say this has to be one of the best 1st episode of the season for me besides Barakamon's. I enjoyed everything about it so far.

14438100888_7fc1b79f34_o.jpg

It really seems like the opening heist was way to easy to pull off, and I assume we shall be getting more messages like this. I always find it kind of dumb to leave a calling card, but I get that they are trying draw attention it seems. The animation of the show is certainly top notch especially the little details. Not the best I've seen, but definitely really good.

The relationship between the two MCs really is simliar to Smile&Peco from ping pong. You have the more serious character with the playful partner to balance each others personalities out. I just really hope the girl was not added just to end up driving a wedge between both of them. That would be shitty writing to me because it happens way too often as a plot device.

Now onto their motives behind the terrorist attacks.
It is hinted that they were abused/manipulated at a early age, and in the attempt to escape from the institution they were being held at ended up losing others in the process. That seems to have really affected 9.
Obviously it seems like the audience is supposed to feel sympathetic towards their actions. Which are not justified even if no casualties result from them. However, it does make sense why are doing their little thing. More exposition is going to be needed which I'm sure will come later.

Overall this episode was really good. The music,pacing, and animation were just superb.

Jarmel

Banned
See I don't judge studios only on their best work either. Hence why fuck Trigger until they make a good show.

And no Inferno Cop does not count that had no animation and was like minutes per episode of pure Robot Chicken. While I'm on that, I don't see the love for Shaft either.

See I love Robot Chicken to death but I find Inferno Cop unfunny for the most part.

I was disappointed with her character at first, but by the end of the game she's aiite. Best valentine gift.

"If you don't eat it, it'll melt. If it melts, it'll run away."

I wish they added a bit more personality to her, other than ihateyouihateyoushutupshutup type of tsundere deal. Just seemed like she was added for no ideal reason.

mankoto

Tokyo Ghoul 2
And so the manga to anime differences continue. Slowly but surely. Nitpicks aside, it seemed pretty alright. That censor in the begining is hilarious though. They might as well have skipped it entirely and just added it in in the BD/DVD release

Watch Barakamon I bet it would please you.
I'll probably add it to my list if the good impressions continue. I don't really watch shows as they air. I prefer to marathon series, so in effect every anime season is a backlog season for me. (When I actually watch anime.) Fate/Zero was the first series I have completed in two years or so.

Mokoi

Banned
Appears that NISA is doing a Love Live! (S1) bundle with OST at their online store. I know they have released OSTs with their games that have limited editions, so I hope more of the anime titles will receive the OST treatment in the future with their premium sets.

To quote myself from a previous post about Notes of School idols days. Also that's nice that they are bundling it.

Some hidden gems on there. Like this song. Reminds me of Eureka sevens and Ao ost

Superflat

It's so hard to keep up with :(

I come into this thread every day but I only post in concentrated bursts while I have a few hours to keep up with the discussion. This is one of the only topics aside from hype threads where 5 pages can just appear when I come back from lunch.

See I love Robot Chicken to death but I find Inferno Cop unfunny for the most part.

I found Inferno Cop fascinating and funny in its own way. Not really by the actual material, but seeing what the studio's interpretation and take-away from shows with that style of comedy are. I was thoroughly humored with the first couple episodes, but the shine went away soon after that.

Midonin

Gyo

I wanted to watch all three of these works, since they were grouped together. Plus I got back from the Sharknado Rifftrax tonight, so I was in the mood for more "killer sea creatures." This is going to give me nightmares. I didn't realize until halfway into the movie "Oh, yeah, this is by Junji Ito." It was undoubtedly scary for what it was, but it may be quite some time before I venture out of my comfort zone again. Because I just feel so unsettled right now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kanon 2
cTfunIZl.jpg

Auuuu~~~~~~. No one told me there was a second sound!
I still have no idea what this show is about, but I suppose they're still introducing people.

The weirdest thing to me is just how there's this weird KyoAni but not KyoAni look to everything. I guess this thing is 8 years old now, so of course things have changed since then, but comparing this to Free is very strange. It's also interesting to see some comic timing being played out as well, specifically with the whole "jam" scene. It feels like a proto K-On or Nichijou scene.

---

LOGH5
So now we have the intro out of the way, I guess we can see why these guys are awesome. I know people hate Tytania, but this reminds me of how that show started except the situations were reversed - here Sieg has to break the blockade instead of defend against a fleet like Tytania guy.

I think I'm still... confused? Put off? I'm not sure what word I would use to describe it, but I find the designs odd.
Like was the whole Roman gimmick that they used:
uSKYtnbl.png

Only to set up the Caesar thing?
frLaWSEl.png

Because otherwise the universe is pretty nonsensical in terms of the designs. But I guess Tytania was like that as well, where it felt very deliberately mishmashy.

Also, the scale is still stupid. :p
f9bGwwwl.png

When 2000 and 3000 ship fleets are considered small, I really don't understand the numbers.

And maybe this is only my dreams, but I almost wish that these guys were the real main characters and this actually turned out to be a Rosencrantz and Guildenstern science fiction story.
3TI9B1Vl.png

Y2UrL1ul.png

Probably not though. lol

----

Utena 15
YBFkXRtl.jpg

Ah yes, I remember the twincesty episode. Not much to say here, but I did notice something that I didn't remember from whenever I watched the episode:
d4WP3SJl.jpg

The whole "train" sequence was about being pressured into succumbing to desire. Which of course perfectly sets up the premise of the Black Rose episodes. Neat.

----

It feels weird not watching new anime. I mean, I am watching new anime, but I probably would have watched most of the new shows the last two weeks otherwise. Oh well. lol

Ugh. Why didn't Crunchyroll pick up Terror in Tokyo? Did SAOII suck up all of their licensing budget? That was the anime I have been most excited to watch for the last few months. Now I can't watch because Funi wants a subscription too for their stuff. I already subscribe to Crunchy. We don't need so many streaming services for just one segment of TV. /rant

Sorry I just really want to watch this and it's behind a paywall for a service I don't have (this is why I sub to Crunchyroll but it seems they're slipping). I don't want to have 12 different subscriptions just so I can watch a show I want to see for any given season.

Geez.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ugh. Why didn't Crunchyroll pick up Terror in Tokyo? Did SAOII suck up all of their licensing budget? That was the anime I have been most excited to watch for the last few months. Now I can't watch because Funi wants a subscription too for their stuff. I already subscribe to Crunchy. We don't need so many streaming services for just one segment of TV. /rant

Sorry I just really want to watch this and it's behind a paywall for a service I don't have (this is why I sub to Crunchyroll but it seems they're slipping). I don't want to have 12 different subscriptions just so I can watch a show I want to see for any given season.

Geez.

This seems to be the way it's going, since Funimation is trying to stay in business. Outside of the big shows which are given to everyone, it seems like most shows are going to be split between Funi and CR with Sentai picking up one or two random shows.

Vylash

Geez.

Funi is kind of the dirt worst, there's no excuse for their site being such a pile of garbage, nobody comes close to doing things as well as CR so i don't know why they can't just stick to home video stuff

Midonin

This seems to be the way it's going, since Funimation is trying to stay in business. Outside of the big shows which are given to everyone, it seems like most shows are going to be split between Funi and CR with Sentai picking up one or two random shows.
Most shows Sentai licenses do air on CR.

Which means that Invaders is almost certainly going to be announced tomorrow.

Superflat

Geez.

Yeah, it's hard for me to justify paying for both. CR has the better perceived selection so I go with them, but FUNI always has a couple each season that I wish CR got, at least in the NA. Noragami, Ping Pong, WIXOSS, and Terror stand out in my mind.

cajunator

Banned
Hehe yeah it is. I missed out on the whole madoka discussion. Also gotta go fast.

Its passing quickly. I read all of it still so its a lot of reading and refreshing >_<

Hanakana is everybody's waifu.

She is. Oh my god. Angelic voice.

Appears that NISA is doing a Love Live! (S1) bundle with OST at their online store. I know they have released OSTs with their games that have limited editions, so I hope more of the anime titles will receive the OST treatment in the future with their premium sets.

Oooh. might have to buy from them in this case instead of the usual.

I haven't watched Cowboy Bebop in a long time, was waiting for the Blu-ray release. I've stayed away from Steins;Gate because I think I'll just play the VN.

Okay. Steins;Gate turned out to be one of my favorites, though. I'd definitely recommend it. How about Kino's Journey or Soro no woto (Sound of the Sky)? I'm pretty sure it's impossible to dislike either of those.

duckroll

Geez.

Ught. Why didn't HBO produce Penny Dreadful? Did True Detective suck up all of their production budget? That was the show I have been most excited to watch for the last few months (*). Now I can't watch because Showtime wants a subscription too for their stuff. I already subscribe to HBO. We don't need so many cable channels for just one segment of TV. /rant

(*) - Not really, horror sucks.

cajunator

Banned
I would just use my phone every now and again to go through the thread, so when I get home, I only have to deal with the last page :D

When I am on mobile this thread presents a very big challenge. the limited space and inability to quote very long posts makes it tough to read everything and respond efficiently.

Okay. Steins;Gate turned out to be one of my favorites, though. I'd definitely recommend it. How about Kino's Journey or Soro no woto (Sound of the Sky)? I'm pretty sure it's impossible to dislike either of those.

It is pretty much impossible.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Most shows Sentai licenses do air on CR.

Which means that Invaders is almost certainly going to be announced tomorrow.
Yeah, this season they only seem to have Sabagebu, which is also on CR. The last exclusive that I remember was Tamako Market, but they seem to be a place to put up Sentai's English dubs more than anything now.

Then again, no one knows how Sentai makes money. Apparently it's a big mystery to everyone who works in the R1/A anime business. lol

Ught. Why didn't HBO produce Penny Dreadful? Did True Detective suck up all of their production budget? That was the show I have been most excited to watch for the last few months (*). Now I can't watch because Showtime wants a subscription too for their stuff. I already subscribe to HBO. We don't need so many cable channels for just one segment of TV. /rant

(*) - Not really, horror sucks.
That's different though. I think the anime simulcast split is more like HD-DVD vs Bluray than say, PS4 vs Xbox.

Now if you brought up Funimation's BioWare animes or dubs being exclusive to their own site, then that would be true...

Knights of Sidonia- Full

This isn't the Muse song I was looking for.
But actually I really liked it.

I first started watching the show when it aired in Japan, but dropped it after episode two because I found the animation a bit jarring and was already too busy and had too many shows going.

Fast forward to two days ago, I'm bored and want to get into something, and get on Netflix, and low and behold they've fully dubbed the entire thing themselves and are promoting it as a "Netflix Original Series". Obviously it wasn't a fully original series on their part, but the fact that they would go to the trouble of fully dubbing it and getting exclusivity for it kinda excited me. I was on board for the premise (hell yeah, space mechs!), liked the mech combat scenes, and had come to appreciate the animation style a little more (It seems to me it was a 3D CG piece styled up to be more like the 2D way of doing coloration, mouth animation, and general movement as opposed to imitating Final Fantasy or Disney CG) so with the promise of a professional dub pushing me over the fence it felt a little like getting a fresh new exciting anime to be able to binge on, even after having already seen the first two episodes before.

The dub was pretty great in my opinion (Bosch is one of my favorite VOs and I think he carried it well) and helped me connect with the story a lot more than I felt I had watching it subbed for the first time. The animation style also grew on me, and I realized that, while some character scenes were at a few points choppy, it actually pulled off the look of a 2D animation a fair amount while being fully CG, and I could really dig that. Also, the mech scenes were freakn' sublime.

Story wise I also thought the show did a great job. It's a dark damn show though. With that one scene in episode two where
the gauna eats the pilot and then takes her mutilated form to taunt the others
I knew it wasn't going to go easy on that stuff, but they really didn't let up.
The expert pilot squad that gets completely killed off. The brutality of the scenes when they have to shift Sidonia really fast and kill hundreds of people in the process. Hoshijiro being killed, absorbed, and weaponized by the gauna.
The show definitely went to some dark places, and I was actually really happy to see it go there. It dealt with the concept of hopelessness in the face of an alien creature that simply cannot seem to understand or communicate with you, the downsides of seeking immortality or having it thrust upon you, and the difficult question of what a seemingly-absolute copy of someone you loved and lost is and could be and it can ever truly be a replacement.

The world design was also really fascinating, just because they didn't seem afraid to go off in some new directions of sci fi. The bi-gender characters, photosynthesis in humans, the immortal council. Bear women. BEAR WOMEN. It has a lot of cool ideas and it puts them all to use in interesting ways.

The drawbacks would be mostly the choppiness of some of the animation (mostly with the character scenes) which I really didn't mind after initially noticing it a bit, and also the fact that I think they pushed the whole jealous love triangle thing a bit too much early on with Nagate, Hoshijiro, and Izana. Also, Kunato was an interesting character but was left out in the cold in the latter half of the series.

Overall I thought it was a really awesome show with some badass action scenes, well done characters, a creative sci-fi setup, unapologetically dark themes, and just a nice arc and progression for most characters, all tied up in a well done dub. It felt like going on a strange and unique and compelling journey, which is what I think the best of anime excels at more than other media forms.

Looking forward to season 2!

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, this season they only seem to have Sabagebu, which is also on CR. The last exclusive that I remember was Tamako Market, but they seem to be a place to put up Sentai's English dubs more than anything now.

Then again, no one knows how Sentai makes money. Apparently it's a big mystery to everyone who works in the R1/A anime business. lol

That's different though. I think the anime simulcast split is more like HD-DVD vs Bluray than say, PS4 vs Xbox.

Now if you brought up Funimation's BioWare animes or dubs being exclusive to their own site, then that would be true...

I have no idea how they do it. Even when they were ADV they would just bleed money.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Knights of Sidonia- Full

The dub was pretty great in my opinion (Bosch is one of my favorite VOs and I think he carried it well) and helped me connect with the story a lot more than I felt I had watching it subbed for the first time.

Although I asked on the podcast I do, I almost wanted to check out the dub to see if they did anything with the whole "third gender" character and "her" casting. I know a woman plays the character, but I wonder if they at least tried to do something with the voice in the dub.

With Sentai you can always count on a disc, but not always on a dub. They've done quite a few sub-only Blu-Rays, actually.
That's true. I have a DVD sub-only copy of AnoNatsu sitting here.
Also HidaSketch as well.

I have no idea how they do it. Even when they were ADV they would just bleed money.
ANN had a girl who worked at TAN on their show once, but they've been silent ever since. People keep joking that Sentai is just a money laundering scheme or something. :p

Midonin

I'm just glad Funi has Barakamon and Tokyo ESP(?) even if none of them are up on the website yet. They just didn't pick up many of the kinds of shows I like to watch this time around.

Though there's still like three or so (non-kids') shows I want to watch that nobody's picked up. These uncertain times.

Although I asked on the podcast I do, I almost wanted to check out the dub to see if they did anything with the whole "third gender" character and "her" casting. I know a woman plays the character, but I wonder if they at least tried to do something with the voice in the dub.

Disappointingly, Izana's voice is clearly female. It really didn't sound as if they tried to make it more vague or ambiguous, leaving most of the bi-gender references to the script itself. Luckily the script brings it up enough to continually remind you that Izana is not a girl, but I do kind of wish they had played with the voice direction for him/her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom