• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, I don't really use the 3 episode rule.

That's because I'm crazy and always finish every anime I start, regardless of how long it is.

You crazy man. ;)

Madoka is nominally their best show.
SZS is their actual best show.
Soredomo is best show for contrarians (what I've seen of it is pretty baller though)
Monogatari exists as some sort of strange omnipresent entity that is both amazing and incoherent, sometimes both at once.
Hidamari Sketch is their cult classic of sorts.
Denpa Onna is their underrated guilty pleasure (totally not biased at all, nope)
Vampire Bund doesn't exist.

Everything else runs the usual gamut of being pretty good to being pretty bad.

That made me laugh. I can't believe I watched all of that show. I haven't watched an anime about vampires since.

I'm starting to distrust the 3 episode rule after seeing some of the shit I've watched today. Ugh...

People always distrust the three episode rule at some point. But we haven't reach episode 3 with any of the summer shows yet. First two episodes of any show are usually set up and fumble around. 3rd episode is usually when they find their footing.

The point of the rule is to basically say you gave an anime a chance to move past set up and hook you. The rule is sound.

Except for when the first episode of something is so bad that you'll have a preeeeeeetty good idea what the rest of the show will be like even if there's some CRAZY event later on or whatever.

No exceptions.

There has been too many shows I needed that third episode to sell me on the show. Spice & Wolf, Chihayafuru, Gurren Lagaan are just some off the top of my head. And this show. (Not really I just wanted an excuse to play a funny scene from Baka & Test)

Mission accomplished :)

You guys knew this would happen didn't you?

cajunator

Banned
Shaft gonna shaft.

It's a nice deconstruction of the magical girl genre, but I couldn't take it seriously. Probably.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Honestly youre missing a very intriguing series. Up to even episode three doesnt even begin to unravel whats going on. Theres a whole lot more to it. Its not your typical monster of the day sort of thing.

cajunator

Banned
You crazy man. ;)

That made me laugh. I can't believe I watched all of that show. I haven't watched an anime about vampires since.

People always distrust the three episode rule at some point. But we haven't reach episode 3 with any of the summer shows yet. First two episodes of any show are usually set up and fumble around. 3rd episode is usually when they find their footing.

The point of the rule is to basically say you gave an anime a chance to move past set up and hook you. The rule is sound.

No exceptions.

There has been too many shows I needed that third episode to sell me on the show. Spice & Wolf, Chihayafuru, Gurren Lagaan are just some off the top of my head. And this show. (Not really I just wanted an excuse to play a funny scene from Baka & Test)

You guys knew this would happen didn't you?

The only community better than this one at enabling people is Figuregaf.

Also Shaft's show moonphase is much more enjoyable than Vampire bund. Though Shaft obviously has a thing for loli vampires.

Rhapsody

Banned
Speaking of Shaft, I just remembered I need to get started on Arakawa Under the Bridge S2.

That series had a slow start, but it was pretty good.

I don't have any sort of rule for watching anime. I just watch it and hope to be entertained going in. I'm lazy like that :p

It's why I have this bad habit of watching a show's first episode then forgetting that I ever did.

I should probably make more watchbets with people. Because if I started Baccano! on my own volition that show probably would have met the same fate as many others I've "started".

Not noticing any Ef: A tale of memories in those lists by the way. I can understand it not being a top 5 though. I think it could work on a top 10 for SHAFT though. I thought it was cute.

How many people here actually watched Ef anyway?
I read the VN. There's little reason to watch it, it's not like Shaft is going to bring much in the way of animation to the table.

Superflat

Shaft gonna shaft.

It's a nice deconstruction of the magical girl genre, but I couldn't take it seriously. Probably.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

It also shifts and fuses genres in a pretty interesting way throughout. There's a lot of interesting concepts going on in Madoka, and it's one of the rare "lightning in a bottle" anime.

I just wish the ending(s) were better.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
It also shifts and fuses genres in a pretty interesting way too throughout. There's a lot of interesting concepts going on in Madoka, and it's one of the rare "lightning in a bottle" anime.

I wonder how it would have turned out if Shaft wasn't reeling in Urobuchi to make it happier.

My rule for anime is to not be a harem.

Other than that more shit came in the mail in an aggregated and tomboyish fashion

BsJWdPZCUAA2zSy.jpg
BsOg6cdCYAA1QQx.jpg

It also shifts and fuses genres in a pretty interesting way throughout. There's a lot of interesting concepts going on in Madoka, and it's one of the rare "lightning in a bottle" anime.

I feel the ending to Madoka was good in that
it's the right way to do an open ended ending. A few things are left open at the end, but they are mostly okay enough for the viewer to draw their own conclusions. The overall story was finished.

The ending to Madoka Rebellion however, was NOT.

I've never had any find of rule for watching anime. I've dropped shows on episode 11 and not felt and once of regret at not seeing it through all the way.

I don't think there is any way Momo Kyun Sword or Rail Wars have any chance to redeem themselves after those awful first episodes. The rest of the lewd stuff I watched was pretty meh but may get better. (probably not) But I committed to the three episode rule when I said I was watching everything this season so I'll just have to endure.

I feel the ending to Madoka was good in that
it's the right way to do an open ended ending. A few things are left open at the end, but they are mostly okay enough for the viewer to draw their own conclusions. The overall story was finished.

The ending to Madoka Rebellion however, was NOT.
I'm the reverse I disliked the way the series end but loved the way Rebellion ended.
Because it proved once and for all Homura is worst girl.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No red hair?! The one in the back looks the best. Once I finally score a new computer (please amzn vine), then I will hopefully look into it.
So many bishies for you!

How many badges have you crafted??

You now have my attention. Those husbandos....
So many to contain!

Female protag? Ehhhhhhhhhhh...also $30 jeez
Female protag is the best. Besides, Aksys charges full price for Hakuouki. lol

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm mixed on Madoka's ending. The TV ending felt like it didn't have enough tension as I would've liked.

I like how the movie ended, but I also didn't like it at the same time in a way lol

I remember that being said in regards to the original anime so no clue about the movies. (I haven't seen them yet.)

Ah. I actually didn't know about that. Had no clue after Shaft having input on the TV ending. That's kinda interesting.

Superflat

Any big Figma collectors out there? Do they all come with the same number of joints/turning points? I feel like some torsos look like they can bend, and others not.

I've been interested in getting one, mainly for simple posing reference for drawing, so I'm looking for a simple model that isn't super decked out in crazy clothes/hair.

Syrinx

There really is no rhyme or reason to watching what I watch. Nor is there really any for when I do and don't continue on. One thing I will say is that while I try not to base my habits too much on what others say, I tend to be susceptible to the phrase "If you don't like it now, you're probably not going to". Possibly overly so.

Clov

This is the end of me.

Admittedly I've only taken one course that dealt with Derrida and deconstruction (it was just a general literary theory course, so it didn't go too deep), but doesn't Madoka have some deconstructive elements? If I'm remembering right, deconstruction reverses the importance of or disrupts a hierarchy within a text. Within most magical anime, the decision to become a magical girl happens within the first episode; it comes quickly, on impulse. It's something that's naturally assumed to just "happen". By focusing on that decision to become a magical girl, Madoka explores what it actually means to make it. Is that not deconstructive?

I'm honestly curious here. Since I haven't studied deconstruction as much as other subjects, my understanding of it may be flawed. Is there something I've missed?

cajunator

Banned
I don't have any sort of rule for watching anime. I just watch it and hope to be entertained going in. I'm lazy like that :p

It's why I have this bad habit of watching a show's first episode then forgetting that I ever did.

I should probably make more watchbets with people. Because if I started Baccano! on my own volition that show probably would have met the same fate as many others I've "started".

My rule for anime is to not be a harem.

Other than that more shit came in the mail in an aggregated and tomboyish fashion

I have no anime rule. Either I like something enough to finish it, I like something and dont finish it for a long time because Im ADD, or I hate it and finish it anyway, or I hate it and never speak of it again unless its to establish how much it sucks.

All of the above applies and theres no real rhyme or reason to any of it.

Also I must say you have become quite a collector and its all over for your wallet.

I'm the reverse I disliked the way the series end but loved the way Rebellion ended.
Because it proved once and for all Homura is worst girl.

Homura WAS best girl until all that crap in Rebellion happened!

Rebellion turned the show into Code Geass. It's Homulouch V.S. Sayazaku.

When I watched Madoka Magica's ending, I saw the words "The End".

When I watched Madoka Rebellion's ending, I saw the words "To be Continued"

Superflat

There really is no rhyme or reason to watching what I watch. Nor is there really any for when I do and don't continue on. One thing I will say is that while I try not to base my habits too much on what others say, I tend to be susceptible to the phrase "If you don't like it now, you're probably not going to". Possibly overly so.

An important criteria for me is basically "does this show feel like it's made by people who like what they're making". It usually shows through in either VA, animation, writing, or all three. If I can feel the enthusiasm by the studio making it in the product, they can sell me on almost any type of show.

jman2050

Wuh. But I don't... why would you... how is it possible...

Why?

Also people who hate Rebellion obviously hate life as well. (spoilers)
Homura did nothing wrong

Rhapsody

Banned
Would everyone would've liked Rebellion if the last part never happened?

Felt like they really tried to go for an EoE ending or something weird like that, so I'm not surprised people hate it.

I'm neutral to it.
Like I am to most controversial stuff

cajunator

Banned
Any big Figma collectors out there? Do they all come with the same number of joints/turning points? I feel like some torsos look like they can bend, and others not.

I've been interested in getting one, mainly for simple posing reference for drawing, so I'm looking for a simple model that isn't super decked out in crazy clothes/hair.

I only have one and its Kuroyukihime. shes built a bit differently in that she has an enormous dress and wings that restrict much of her poseability but you can take most of that stuff off and shes basically the same design as the rest under it. Her torso does bend. Even her hair has joints which is kind of odd.

So I'm not the only one that hated that fucking movie? (Rebellion)

A lot of people hated it. I liked the twist ending though. Im probably just weird.

Homura WAS best girl until all that crap in Rebellion happened!

Rebellion turned the show into Code Geass. It's Homulouch V.S. Sayazaku.

When I watched Madoka Magica's ending, I saw the words "The End".

When I watched Madoka Rebellion's ending, I saw the words "To be Continued"
You must also remember my view of Rebellion is colored by the fact I adore Mami. Rebellion was a great movie for all the Mami fans.

I do give the movie props though, I actually felt awful for Homura when you realize how fucking broken she is when she turns into a witch and how deep, and creepy, her love of Madoka is. Too bad that didn't last very long.

I

Also I must say you have become quite a collector and its all over for your wallet.

It really is. Sunshine wrecked my wallet pretty hard. It was 40 bucks, but I underestimated the shipping cost, mainly because I was thinking about the shipping costs of my other figures (namely Excellent Model Cure Blossom). Mandarake gave it a big ass box, and the shipping ended up nearly doubling the price (only being off by 3 bucks). If I was capable of changing my shipping at the payment area like with AmiAmi, I would've low balled it instead.

Because of Sunshine though, I had to low ball the shipping for Cure Beauty. So she probably won't be here for quite some time.

Risette

A Good Citizen
There's a MAL list export link at the bottom of the page after going to account settings. You have to upload a .xml file that you get from MAL it seems.

Click on your user portrait in the top right. Go to "Account Settings".

You have to export your MAL these days instead of just copy/pasting the link.
got it.

now that I did it I kinda regret it looking at all 49 of my unfinished series. should've just started anew and added completed stuff manually

No you are not! Come and join us in our little circle of "those who wait until a sequel movie comes along and fixes this mess."

My issue with the movie was that it was just a marketing tool to continue the series. I thought episode 12 was the perfect ending to Madoka. And if you're going to continue a series, don't make it so weird. I understand what happened and why, but they don't exactly make this stuff obvious to the viewer. I had to watch it again to really figure everything out.

mankoto

Eh, I don't really use the 3 episode rule.

That's because I'm crazy and always finish every anime I start, regardless of how long it is.
Touché. Wish I had that level of tenacity though. I've probably finished only half the anime I've ever started, and I can count the number of drops on one hand.

I remember the time when Fractle was airing and I only had to watch the last episode... For some reason I didn't watch that episode until a year later. I think I did the same with the first Infinite Stratos.

The show ended up being around a 7/10 for me, I really did like it. But I can't even remember many of the characters names. I honestly do hope it gets picked up for a S2 because I see potential in the show.
I feel the same. I saw the potential and i want more of this show.

--------------------
Fate kalied 2wei - 01

God bless silver link that got MORE MONEY and used it well to make more detailled backgrounds , more CGs and more useless complex animation for the side characters !

If it starts this good i guess i can look forward to see the BIG battles of this season properly animated and that's a WIn in my book.
Now i only wish to see the extra chapter and the fillers stuff but they already talked about "the beach" so i guess that one is going to be a given.

Great first ep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom