• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhapsody

Banned
I can't support the Monogatari releases any more since they didn't bother with the commentaries. I don't think I'll ever get over it. lol

Yeah, Taishou was a weird re-release.

And it HAS to be Utena... unless, and this is in my dreams, it is the the Aria BDs!

I definitely would've wanted to buy them if they translated the commentaries. It's kind of a big part when considering BD extras.

I haven't bought anime in awhile (since Shakugan no Shana BDs I think). Going to pick up the KLK BDs though.

Clov

And it HAS to be Utena... unless, and this is in my dreams, it is the the Aria BDs!

The Aria BDs will have to wait until they get released in Japan first! Probably will have a holdback period for those, too. If RightStuf started doing BDs, I'm sure they'd do those though!

Thoraxes

I can't support the Monogatari releases any more since they didn't bother with the commentaries. I don't think I'll ever get over it. lol

Yeah, Taishou was a weird re-release.

You were right about the commentaries. They are super rad. I was laughing so hard during them because they were so well done.

I still have to get Neko black and Nise though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I definitely would've wanted to buy them if they translated the commentaries. It's kind of a big part when considering BD extras.
I bought the overpriced Bakemono for the commentaries. I did the voting with my wallet thing, and it turns out that it doesn't matter. lol

Is there any place to even stream Yamato 2199? I've always been looking for it :(
Nope. I wonder if they're asking too much or if it's some weird Harmony Gold-esque situation with whomever owns Starblazers. They did dub the first episode into English and showed it at some convention ages ago, so maybe someone still thinks this will be on TV eventually.

Jex

[My Little 9/11 Terrorists Can't be This Hot - A Shoujo Tale] - 1

Not not bad, not bad at all.

You could even say good.

Perhaps even best first episode of the season?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You were right about the commentaries. They are super rad. I was laughing so hard during them because they were so well done.

I still have to get Neko black and anise though.
The internet subbing Nise commentaries, 6 months at a time. lol

The Aria BDs will have to wait until they get released in Japan first! Probably will have a holdback period for those, too. If RightStuf started doing BDs, I'm sure they'd do those though!
If Rightstuf could do that weird simul-release thing that they did with Fate Zero or that Read or Die set, then I'd be happy to pay 500 bucks to get the set from them. It'd be easier than importing from Japan at least.

duckroll

[My Little 9/11 Terrorists Can't be This Hot - A Shoujo Tale] - 1

Not not bad, not bad at all.

You could even say good.

Perhaps even best first episode of the season?

I dunno, I still like the tone and presentation of The Calligrapher and the Urchin better!

Clov

If Rightstuf could do that weird simul-release thing that they did with Fate Zero or that Read or Die set, then I'd be happy to pay 500 bucks to get the set from them. It'd be easier than importing from Japan at least.

Not certain about RoD, but the original Fate/Zero sets that came out were just imports from Japan. That's why they came out so close to the Japanese release date. Aniplex does the most import releases of any company, though Funimation is also selling imports of GitS Arise as they come out.

Thoraxes

He's mostly a PR rep for the CG overlords.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36248098&postcount=17500
Not certain about RoD, but the original Fate/Zero sets that came out were just imports from Japan. That's why they came out so close to the Japanese release date. Aniplex does the most import releases of any company, though Funimation is also selling imports of GitS Arise as they come out.
I should get the F/Z release one day, too.

cajunator

Banned
Pricing still seems fair to me. I used to gladly spend 30 for 4 episodes and that was when I was making much less money than now. But aside from that, the whole anime simulcasting on streaming sites is a dream. Yall dont know how amazing this is. appreciate it because we didnt used to see shows for YEARS after japanese release. Had to wait at least several months from a license announcement to the first volume and barely any of a new show to come out. then wait every one to two months afterwards to get the next part. I used to just spend a year buying up shows then binge watching when I finished getting a series. It was the only legal way.

Although I asked on the podcast I do, I almost wanted to check out the dub to see if they did anything with the whole "third gender" character and "her" casting. I know a woman plays the character, but I wonder if they at least tried to do something with the voice in the dub.

That's true. I have a DVD sub-only copy of AnoNatsu sitting here.
Also HidaSketch as well.

ANN had a girl who worked at TAN on their show once, but they've been silent ever since. People keep joking that Sentai is just a money laundering scheme or something. :p

Im not sure what Sentai does but it seems shady.

Thanks for understanding guys. I was afraid it would come off a little whiny. The whole point of Crunchyroll is to stream current airing anime. It's not like they have the wealth of stuff that Netflix or Hulu has to sort, license and deal with. Their whole service hinges on the idea that they bring you the shows currently airing. So...

This is silly. Not even close. Analogy sort of falls flat. Your comparing two production companies in your "analogy". I am simply asking why a subscription service is fighting to get current streaming anime when a production publisher locks it to their site.

A better analogy on your part would have been saying Time Warner Cable/Dish not getting HBO/Showtime content because HBO wants you to watch it on their site and not through TWC or Dish. One is a service while the other is an added package.

This is a very small slice of the TV industry. If netflix only focused on movies wouldn't you be pissed if you paid for a service who's sole purpose is to provide movies only to find out they don't offer you to see Gravity or whatever because the publishing house wanted you to watch it on their own crappy site? And also want you to pay more than what you pay your current subscription service just to watch this one thing?

You act like its something I shouldn't be a little irritated by? It's inconvenient. I don't think most people are paying for two subscriptions to watch anime. Funi wants $8 for 1 exclusive show a season. Crunchy wants $7 a month and they get most of the shows.

I cancelled Netflix because they didnt offer what I wanted to watch. A lot of big movies and shows were just left off the list.
Couldnt even watch something old and fun like Twister.

You know what pisses me off is Sentai putting shows out on DVD at first and then a couple of months later they put it on Bluray. They don't even give you a warning or anything.

This. Oh god this.
Pisses me off soooooo much.
Im holding off on Tamako, Chuuni, a whole lot of shows this year because theyre DVd only. no fuck you industry Im waiting until blurays are out.

Superflat

Alright, watched all of Yama no Susume season 1 and started watching the first ep of Season 2.

THIRTEEN MINUTE EPISODES? WOOOHOOOOOO

B1X29QZ.gif

Clov

I should get the F/Z release one day, too.

The re-release was cheaper than the import, thankfully! I have the second set of the re-release, it's very nice. Still saving up for the first though. If you love Fate/Zero, it's a pretty great set to have.

Jex

I dunno, I still like the tone and presentation of The Calligrapher and the Urchin better!

That was really good as well, but it wasn't full of cheap hooks designed to make me care about 'the greater mystery' like Hot Terrorists in Summer was, so how could I enjoy it as much? Plus, action sequences!
Terror in Resonance 1

I don't know who exactly wrote this, but he is a fucking hack.

[Lengthy post, with details]

Wow. You're not wrong too call elements of the story derivative and that the story features coincidences, but the same is true of just about everything ever. Calling the writer a "fucking hack" is going completely overboard, if I applied those some complaints to everything I watched I'd be unable to enjoy anything ever again.

Stories are built on confidences (these ones weren't even that egregious in the grand scheme of things) and we recycle ideas for stories all the time. It's not the recycling of concepts that the problem, but how they are used by the writer in the particular story that's being told.

The rest of your complaints centre around "they haven't explained this yet!" which is quite common in stories that don't want to be tied down by exposition in the middle of action sequences. You can't expect that stuff to be explained immediately, I imagine it will be covered next week.

Thoraxes

The re-release was cheaper than the import, thankfully! I have the second set of the re-release, it's very nice. Still saving up for the first though. If you love Fate/Zero, it's a pretty great set to have.

That was what I was looking at. It's a little much for my affinity in the series, but it still seems good. I still want to get Arawaka too though, and with the extra 10% off I may go for those first.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, I'd be okay if Japanese release just put subs on the BD and then shipped some over to be sold at the same price here.

I mean, it took like 2 years for Toradora BD to get released here? I'd rather not wait that long.

Pricing still seems fair to me. I used to gladly spend 30 for 4 episodes and that was when I was making much less money than now. But aside from that, the whole anime simulcasting on streaming sites is a dream. Yall dont know how amazing this is. appreciate it because we didnt used to see shows for YEARS after japanese release. Had to wait at least several months from a license announcement to the first volume and barely any of a new show to come out. then wait every one to two months afterwards to get the next part. I used to just spend a year buying up shows then binge watching when I finished getting a series. It was the only legal way.
It's better only because the market crashed. They seemed to have found a happy medium, although the lack of extras and the new OVA pricing structure is really annoying.

Im not sure what Sentai does but it seems shady.
Who knows if they're even a real company. lol

I know I have stated this before, but I believe the only reason the Bakemonogatari set from Aniplex USA even had the character commentaries was probably because it matched the Japanese BD-box. The rest of the Monogatari series don't have a BD-box in Japan. Probably the same reason why the Oreimo BDs had the character commentaries...it was an import.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I know I have stated this before, but I believe the only reason the Bakemonogatari set from Aniplex USA even had the character commentaries was probably because it matched the Japanese BD-box. The rest of the Monogatari series don't have a BD-box in Japan. Probably the same reason why the Oreimo BDs had the character commentaries...it was an import.
I'd be willing to pay the JP prices for the commentaries subbed though, if it came to that. I'm pretty much all or nothing on it, since I don't know if I have a reason to buy them otherwise.

The weird thing is that with Nise they just stripped the commentaries out entirely - perhaps to avoid reverse-importation - but it was the extra middle finger that made that set a no buy for me.

Not nearly enough, one day I'll get on your level!
Use the market place to buy the cards!

Jex

They really should have just gone all the way and named the kids in Terror in Resonance Nine and Eleven to get it over with.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hrm, I forgot to check out the Rightstuf announcements:
Several new anime licenses were announced by Shawne Kleckner, President of anime producer and distributor Right Stuf, Inc., during his panel at Anime Expo 2014 in Los Angeles, California. Yakitate!! Japan is the newest title to join the company’s Nozomi Entertainment label. Coming soon to the Lucky Penny Entertainment label will be Space Pirate Mito, Fantastic Detective Labyrinth and Yondesmasu Yo, Azazel-san. Details were provided on the impending Lucky Penny Entertainment release of Sengoku Collection, as well as the final installment of the Sunrise/Right Stuf release of Mobile Suit Gundam UC series this October.

Wandering Son forever dead. Although it looks like they are giving up on "prestige" releases now entirely?

Hyouka 19

I think it's quite a feat for a show to have an entire episode take place in one room and still be enjoyable to watch the entire time.

This mystery was actually really fun. The outcome at the end was hilarious. This episode really showed how this anime really centers around Oreki and Chitanda's relationship and their playfulness. Once again Chitanda was cute with the way she handled herself and it was fun to see Oreki be playful and have fun for once. This episode had a lot of good moments in it. I can tell this is going to leave The Void when I am done with it.

No "I'm curious" this episode. :,(

Defuser

Terror in resonance episode 1
Better first person snowmobile chase sequence than modern warfare 2.

I got nothing else to say because everything in this episode is good in terms of production and execution.

Clov

Wandering Son forever dead. Although it looks like they are giving up on "prestige" releases now entirely?

I wouldn't expect RightStuf to pick that up. Personally I think it would suit NISA well; they did release another great drama anime with Bunny Drop, after all. They also released House of Five Leaves, so they're not afraid to release more "artsy" work.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, I'd be okay if Japanese release just put subs on the BD and then shipped some over to be sold at the same price here.

I mean, it took like 2 years for Toradora BD to get released here? I'd rather not wait that long.

It's better only because the market crashed. They seemed to have found a happy medium, although the lack of extras and the new OVA pricing structure is really annoying.

Who knows if they're even a real company. lol

Who knows really? Isnt Section 23 also a subsidiary of Sentai? I dont see how ADV was broken up only to go back to doing the exact same thing as before.

The project that was in reference to is still not out. But it does have a trailer.
ibsFjlwolaoEbc.gif

That CG mecha action. But those character designs.

Nice character design. a cutie.

Hyouka 19

I think it's quite a feat for a show to have an entire episode take place in one room and still be enjoyable to watch the entire time.

This mystery was actually really fun. The outcome at the end was hilarious. This episode really showed how this anime really centers around Oreki and Chitanda's relationship and their playfulness. Once again Chitanda was cute with the way she handled herself and it was fun to see Oreki be playful and have fun for once. This episode had a lot of good moments in it. I can tell this is going to leave The Void when I am done with it.

No "I'm curious" this episode. :,(

Android Announcer Maico basically takes place in a radio room.

I'd be willing to pay the JP prices for the commentaries subbed though, if it came to that. I'm pretty much all or nothing on it, since I don't know if I have a reason to buy them otherwise.

The weird thing is that with Nise they just stripped the commentaries out entirely - perhaps to avoid reverse-importation - but it was the extra middle finger that made that set a no buy for me.

AoA may have released Nise as a complete boxset, but Japan never did. I don't see why Bake only having the commentaries is weird since it's the only one with a Japanese BD-box to mirror. AoA's releases for Neko Black, Neko White, Kabuki, etc don't have the commentaries since there isn't a Japanese BD-box to match.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wouldn't expect RightStuf to pick that up. Personally I think it would suit NISA well; they did release another great drama anime with Bunny Drop, after all. They also released House of Five Leaves, so they're not afraid to release more "artsy" work.
My Aoi Hana set feels lonely. lol

Who knows really? Isnt Section 23 also a subsidiary of Sentai? I dont see how ADV was broken up only to go back to doing the exact same thing as before.
If nothing else, I like the chaos it causes for Funimation.

Shergal

Terror 1
I liked the directing. Very cinematic and atmospheric, with standout lighting of the scenes that felt more in line with live action lighting than animation. The OP looked like a 1.30 Tumblr gif though.

Despite how mysterious they wanted to be about everything, what was presented in the episode was fairly straightforward and direct, there's not much to say about it. I didn't expect it to be so shoujo!

Clov

Other way around; Sentai is a subsidiary of Section23. The same company also owns the labels Maiden Japan (they also release anime, but less often than Sentai), Aesir Holdings (they re-released Princess Tutu with this label, I think) and ADV Films (which is barely used anymore. They did an Elfen Lied Blu-Ray using the ADV name, though).

My Aoi Hana set feels lonely. lol

I wouldn't want RightStuf to touch it anyway; Wandering Son is a fantastic series that deserves a Blu-Ray. Knowing RightStuf, it would be stuck on DVD forever. I don't think I could deal with that.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Persona 4 Golden:a.k.a Narukami Desu ga?
Well, he is not Sakamoto, but this'll have to do. This is new game+ material here, Yu being mr perfect and having Izanagi that can do Ziodyne and Megidolaon(?)

fertygo

What! Even the characters are CG. They're doing it wrong. Only the mechs/monster are supposed to be that way.
Nah, its not looked bad after awhile.
Terror 1
I liked the directing. Very cinematic and atmospheric, with standout lighting of the scenes that felt more in line with live action lighting than animation. The OP looked like a 1.30 Tumblr gif though.

Yeah that's why I thought the OP aren't good, despite the metaphor talk and that, its not an good looking OP and rather pretentious.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wouldn't want RightStuf to touch it anyway; Wandering Son is a fantastic series that deserves a Blu-Ray. Knowing RightStuf, it would be stuck on DVD forever. I don't think I could deal with that.
Better than no release at all though!

What makes this worse is that it got skipped over when Funimation and Sentai picked up all those old Bandai/Sunrise licenses.
They should get Cuaron to record a commentary or something and release it as a "Gravity inspired anime" show. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom