• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

Persona 4 - The Golden Animation 01

jdHXhdxDvSdTC.png

"I can see the ending."
No, Yu! Stop Social Linking everyone!

I didn't see the first anime, so I may celebrate what has already been done. I really liked the opening scene, the music and the transition of days. Also Marie hnnng. I have to stay strong, I am the Chariot after all, Chie my only P4G queen, even when Rise and Marie are around.

Zankyou no Terror 01

The positive notions here on GAF did certainly not disappoint. A very strong first episode with nothing I could complain about.
I just have a question, what was the content of the messages of Lisa's mum? They were visible on screen, but sadly not translated. Did she worry about Lisa? Did she tell her what to do with her life?

Blusby

Zankyou no Terror 01

The positive notions here on GAF did certainly not disappoint. A very strong first episode with nothing I could complain about.
I just have a question, what was the content of the messages of Lisa's mum? They were visible on screen, but sadly not translated. Did she worry about Lisa? Did she tell her what to do with her life?

Posted by BeholdMyGlory on Reddit

10:21 http://i.imgur.com/9V3igWc.jpg
How is class?
How is class?
Soon time for lunch, right?
Are you getting along well with your friends?
Does the lunch taste good?
10:24 http://i.imgur.com/5zZDCgo.jpg (last message is the first message from the previous screenshot)
Why did you leave so early today?
It's important to eat your breakfast, you know.
Are you at school yet?
Are you at school yet?
13:13 http://i.imgur.com/0Bl49YG.jpg
Take care.
Be careful out there.
Did you eat your lunch?
Did it taste good?
Were you headed to the Tokyo Government Office today? (NB: Unsure about this one, not clear on what exactly a 都庁 is)
When will you be finished there?
13:15 http://i.imgur.com/59y0HSr.jpg (only the two bottom messages are new)
When are you coming home?
Will you be able to come home soon?

Dat overprotection.

Chariot

How is class?
How is class?
10:24 http://i.imgur.com/5zZDCgo.jpg (last message is the first message from the previous screenshot)
Are you at school yet?
Are you at school yet?
Take care.
Be careful out there.
Did you eat your lunch?
Did it taste good?
Were you headed to the Tokyo Government Office today? (NB: Unsure about this one, not clear on what exactly a 都庁 is)
Thank you, this is very helpful.[

edit: Thank you, too, duckroll.

duckroll

Zankyou no Terror 01

It's hard to tell what the context is for her annoyance at the messages, but they're basically and endless stream of "concern". Basically stuff like "How's school?", "How are your friends?", "Do you like your lunch?", "Isn't it tasty?" etc. Lisa definitely seems to have some psychological hang-ups about the relationship. Either she finds her mother too clingy, or maybe it's a step-mother trying to get closer to her and she doesn't like it? We'll see.

Hm... Only seen 3 Shaft shows so far. Pani Poni Dash!, Madoka and Hidamari. Really like 2 of those :p

Eh, I don't really use the 3 episode rule.

That's because I'm crazy and always finish every anime I start, regardless of how long it is.

Same here.

Not noticing any Ef: A tale of memories in those lists by the way. I can understand it not being a top 5 though. I think it could work on a top 10 for SHAFT though. I thought it was cute.

How many people here actually watched Ef anyway?

That's in my backlog. Same with a bunch of other Shaft shows.

I don't think there is any way Momo Kyun Sword or Rail Wars have any chance to redeem themselves after those awful first episodes. The rest of the lewd stuff I watched was pretty meh but may get better. (probably not) But I committed to the three episode rule when I said I was watching everything this season so I'll just have to endure.

Good luck. ;)

But NGNL is awesome and fun. Animegaf loves it.

A few of us didn't :p

Kanon 2

It's also interesting to see some comic timing being played out as well, specifically with the whole "jam" scene. It feels like a proto K-On or Nichijou scene.

Have to wonder if that one Nichijou scene was inspired by Kanon... And it's the Key+KyoAni show with the best comedy IMO.

Hm... I would have at least expected a "Cowboy Bebop" or "Steins;Gate" mention. Those are pretty universally liked.

Hm... How does the 3 episode rule work with Steins;Gate? Isn't there people who like the second half, but don't like the first half? I liked it all though.

BluWacky

Hm... How does the 3 episode rule work with Steins;Gate? Isn't there people who like the second half, but don't like the first half? I liked it all though.

It doesn't really work IMO. Still struggling to get past the episode with Feyris sodding NyanNyan. I know it's supposed to have an awesome plot eventually but I find Okabe obnoxious, the childhood friend borderline vegetative in her mental capacity, the fat nerd is a fat nerd etc. It is also, as is well documented by now, very unattractive to look at.

Sorry for the rant. It frustrates me that I don't like Steins;Gate when so many people rate it highly. I love time travel stories, but I just can't like this one.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Have we received any official wording from Funimation in regards to Evangelion's 3.33 Blu-ray release? It's taking forever ;.;

Furthermore, where is Code Geass and Escaflowne? :( I'm eagerly anticipating their release. It's been a year since the announcement, and yet I haven't heard anything.

Summer Anime 2014 Part 1
Summer Anime 2014 Part 2

I'll finish the day with some of the more interesting anime of this season.

Terror in Tokyo 01
An intriguing anime. Not much to say other than it has an interesting premise and could show promise in future episodes.
I fell asleep halfway through but I think that has more to do with me being dead tired than it being uninteresting.

Tokyo Ghoul 01
Tis a cruel fate of losing ones humanity and trying to retain it.
I have many questions that have yet to be answered.

jgminto

Terror in Resonance 1

Hmm, interesting. There's definitely enough mystery here to keep me watching for now. Either the girl or the ex-detective are going to have to be pretty strong characters to make this work though. I can't relate to or empathise with a pair of terrorists that don't have any real cause or driving reason, as of yet at least. Even with their mysterious back story I don't think they can sustain the whole show without some sort of adversary.

Hugstable

Banned
Summer Anime 2014 Part 1
Summer Anime 2014 Part 2

I'll finish the day with some of the more interesting anime of this season.

Terror in Tokyo 01

An intriguing anime. Not much to say other than it has an interesting premise and could show promise in future episodes.
I fell asleep halfway through but I think that has more to do with me being dead tired than it being uninteresting.

Tokyo Ghoul 01

Tis a cruel fate of losing ones humanity and trying to retain it.
I have many questions that have yet to be answered.

Damn you finished 16 different anime's episode 1 in one day? I don't think I'd be able to do that for all 3 week ahha. I'm sure you can already narrow a few off the watch list though.

Damn you finished 16 different anime's episode 1 in one day? I don't think I'd be able to do that for all 3 week ahha. I'm sure you can already narrow a few off the watch list though.

I may have gone a little overboard today. My brain feels like pudding. (especially after my second post) I think I still have 10 or so more anime to go through before I finish ep1 of everything this season has to offer. Hopefully my stamina will have regenerated by then.

Hugstable

Banned
I may have gone a little overboard today. My brain feels like pudding. (especially after my second post) I think I still have 10 or so more anime to go through before I finish ep1 of everything this season has to offer. Hopefully my stamina will have regenerated by then.

So much anime, so little time. My plan to watch list of previous shows has like 7 anime on it, and this isn't counting the new season shows (which I probably won't take on more than 3 or so this season.) Once I finish Fate/Zero it's on to Psycho-pass and Idolmaster

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Tokyo Ghoul 2

7h15iSf4K3.jpg
​

My favourite part was when
██████████████​███████████████████​███████████████████​███████████████████​███████████████████​███████████████████​█████
and then
█████████████████████████████████
. However, this is my most likely show to drop this season because when
███████████​███████████████████████████████
it makes you just think
████

Thoraxes

I'm currently on episode 42 of something I kind of started 1 day ago.

And it's just glorious.

Narag

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders 14

1tFfYDHl.png

mods plz use this image when locking this thread at 20k posts

I love that I can't tell if Joseph is just straight up bullshitting when talking about how well traveled he is. Uniform gag was pretty good too.

Otherwise, atmosphere was fab in this. Kinda got the same sort of vibe from the OVA adaptation of this part but it didn't make me feel nearly as uncomfortable as this did. Horror stuff in this first group of eps has been too fun.

Wow. You're not wrong too call elements of the story derivative and that the story features coincidences, but the same is true of just about everything ever. Calling the writer a "fucking hack" is going completely overboard, if I applied those some complaints to everything I watched I'd be unable to enjoy anything ever again.

Stories are built on confidences (these ones weren't even that egregious in the grand scheme of things) and we recycle ideas for stories all the time. It's not the recycling of concepts that the problem, but how they are used by the writer in the particular story that's being told.

The rest of your complaints centre around "they haven't explained this yet!" which is quite common in stories that don't want to be tied down by exposition in the middle of action sequences. You can't expect that stuff to be explained immediately, I imagine it will be covered next week.

Yeah yeah, all stories are derivative in some way as everything has been told already. Still, there are degrees of derivativeness and execution and presentation influences how samey or not can be something. But truly it's not my main complaint of the episode, my main complaint was the total suspension of disbelief that needed, starting with the assault at the nuclear processing plant, which in a way the first Die Hard movies had more verisimilitude. In addition to that, the concept presented for now doesn't seem very original, which solidified my negative impressions, because if at least it was something novel I could forgive the other flaws or look at the other side. It was just the cherry on top.

They are going to need to explain a lot of shit in the next episodes.

I suppose expectation play a role. I didn't know anything about the story, but I didn't expect it to be about super-criminals.

Tokyo Ghoul 2

7h15iSf4K3.jpg
​

My favourite part was when
██████████████​███████████████████​███████████████████​███████████████████​███████████████████​███████████████████​█████
and then
█████████████████████████████████
. However, this is my most likely show to drop this season because when
███████████​███████████████████████████████
it makes you just think
████
Hohohoh.

I get what you're doing here. I am impressed and amused.

duckroll

I suppose expectation play a role. I didn't know anything about the story, but I didn't expect it to be about super-criminals.

Watanabe cites 24 and Sherlock as some of the inspirations for the approach in the show. The assistant director Tachikawa previously helped Death Billiards for Anime Mirai. The show is about domestic terrorism in Japan. Sounds like you only have yourself to blame!

wonzo

Banned
Teekyuu - Best Selection OP

tkyuubsop.png

It might just be a clipshow opening for the clipshow version of the greatest short anime ever but by god is it undoubtedly the opening of the season!

Narag

Sengoku Basara Judge End 1

Ieyasu so badass. Lost it when he shounen upped there. Hanbei/Toyotomi stuff was pretty heavy given the show it's in but hey, whatever turns Mistunari up to 11 I'm fine with.

Otherwise, production values feel like a step down. I mostly recall the previous two shows looking great and really consistent at that, this is kinda all over the place but whatever, bring on the antics!

cajunator

Banned
Hyouka 19

I think it's quite a feat for a show to have an entire episode take place in one room and still be enjoyable to watch the entire time.

This mystery was actually really fun. The outcome at the end was hilarious. This episode really showed how this anime really centers around Oreki and Chitanda's relationship and their playfulness. Once again Chitanda was cute with the way she handled herself and it was fun to see Oreki be playful and have fun for once. This episode had a lot of good moments in it. I can tell this is going to leave The Void when I am done with it.

No "I'm curious" this episode. :,(

Shes trying to bite his face right there.

Other way around; Sentai is a subsidiary of Section23. The same company also owns the labels Maiden Japan (they also release anime, but less often than Sentai), Aesir Holdings (they re-released Princess Tutu with this label, I think) and ADV Films (which is barely used anymore. They did an Elfen Lied Blu-Ray using the ADV name, though).

I wouldn't want RightStuf to touch it anyway; Wandering Son is a fantastic series that deserves a Blu-Ray. Knowing RightStuf, it would be stuck on DVD forever. I don't think I could deal with that.

Its all so confusing >_< I still miss Geneon a lot though. Bandai not so much.

How is class?
How is class?
Are you at school yet?
Are you at school yet?
Take care.
Be careful out there.
Did you eat your lunch?
Did it taste good?
Were you headed to the Tokyo Government Office today? (NB: Unsure about this one, not clear on what exactly a &#37117;&#24193; is)

Dat overprotection.

My parents used to be like that. Now if I dont answer my phone for a few days they will drive to my house and knock on my window. I told them to quit THAT at least.

Dont overdo it. Take a break from everything. go outside. enjoy fresh air. Maybe go for a drive. People stay cooped up inside 100% of the time its not good for you or your mind.
A lot of people on twitter are like that. It bothers me. Im sure you arent but that much anime or anything else is gonna just exhaust you.

#18 is adorable :3
tumblr_mpl8xo6LEM1rlergfo1_250.png

she was one of my waifus at some point. Used to really like her.

Watanabe cites 24 and Sherlock as some of the inspirations for the approach in the show. The assistant director Tachikawa previously helped Death Billiards for Anime Mirai. The show is about domestic terrorism in Japan. Sounds like you only have yourself to blame!

Hmm, 24 and Sherlock? I didn't know that. Well yeah, I would have lesser or different expectations knowing that 24 was an influence! /nota24fan. and Sherlock is good but definitively larger-than-life and not very realistic. /blames himself

I hope ex-Detective-kun is entertaining as Sherlock. :p

Chariot

My parents used to be like that. Now if I dont answer my phone for a few days they will drive to my house and knock on my window. I told them to quit THAT at least.
This is terrible.
I could stop my parents by being super aggressive when they even starting to get annoying. Sure, parents worry about their kids, but there are limits.

Mokoi

Banned
Tokyo Ghoul 2

The OP was good, and I really like the song. Other than that it's shit. Was really looking forward to this adaptation too.

TsuXna

Chari dafuq is going on with your avatar everyday ?xDD
Meh they have turned World Martial Art Tournament into boring piece, i was waiting Vegeta's and Goku's match TˆT

Narag

Barakamon 1

Figured I'd give this a shot since it seems so well received in here. However the main character is apparently an adult and possibly not even in high school so I have some trepidation that this won't be very good.

Am just watching the first Psycho-Pass 'extended edition' episode and man... the fucking exposition is so ridiculous.

Akane, who has obviously been trained well about her fricking job I'd imagine, arrives at the crime scene and Ginoza tells her what Enforcers are and then a bit afterwards Ginoza's father even explains the Dominator again:

"You know how to use a Dominator, right?"

"I-I did receive training on it, more or less..."

Then an explanation follows. Seriously? "More or less?" Apparently so little that one of the Enforcers has to explain the entire concept again? Right...

cajunator

Banned
You're a pretty cool guy, who would not be clingy?

Eska is starring at everything!

Why thank you kindly ^o^

Am just watching the first Psycho-Pass 'extended edition' episode and man... the fucking exposition is so ridiculous.

Akane, who has obviously been trained well about her fricking job I'd imagine, arrives at the crime scene and Ginoza tells her what Enforcers are and then a bit afterwards Ginoza's father even explains the Dominator again:

"You know how to use a Dominator, right?"

"I-I did receive training on it, more or less..."

Then an explanation follows. Seriously? "More or less?" Apparently so little that one of the Enforcers has to explain the entire concept again? Right...

Its a bit of an odd setup because shes supposed to be trained how to use the hting but its a cool gadget and the audience DOESNT know so somehow that info has to be communicated. but it was a clumsy way of accomplishing that.

Quite frankly, I don't even think the concept of those Dominators is complicated enough to even require any on-the-nose exposition. Since there's a voice feedback on those things giving information about everything anyways, that would've been enough.

cajunator

Banned
Quite frankly, I don't even think the concept of those Dominators is complicated enough to even require any on-the-nose exposition. Since there's a voice feedback on those things giving information about everything anyways, that would've been enough.

Thats true. However I didnt mind that part.

Ai Mai Mi: Mousou Catastrophe 1

Welp, this is like… way more mentally deranged than I remember it being.

…

AND IT FUCKINS OWNS
bow2.gif

Whaaaaat the hell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom