• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
When I caught the early eps, I was surprised at how complex her costume design seemed to be and thought of how much of a pain in the ass it'd be to animate properly. Seemed like a lot of excess detail that'd look all sorts of wrong if perspective errors occurred.

Yeah. they did a great job all things considered. Would make a very fun figurine but so far only one is made and they sculpted her face wrong :(

mankoto

Yeah, you should skip the rest.
I really should. But I really hate dropping a series unless I can't find anything to like about it (and so far the only things I've dropped are Kiss x Sis, R-15 and possibly Sakura Trick. With this, it's only episode 1 and as long as the fan service doesn't get any worse (which I doubt) or the story becomes something of worth (which... I also doubt) I don't see why I should drop it so soon. For instance, I was able to read through Kodomo no Jikan because I honestly liked the story a lot despite how creepy it was. Truthfully, there are some parts of that manga I never want to read again in my life due to the content, but overall I thought it was a good read and worth the investment.

If anything, this will probably be at the very bottom of the list of my backlog.

Oh what a splendid day it is. I finished Hyouka and people are watching Chihayafuru

It makes the collective anime viewership happy. Now if only Madhouse would give us a season 3 instead of messing around with Hunter x Hunter and Onii-sama.

Yo brah don't diss my Hunter X Hunter because you know it's amazing. You don't want to make Gon rage now do you.

PwvrqZV.jpg

Also a little advice don't mess with Onii-sama.

Narag

I really should. But I really hate dropping a series unless I can't find anything to like about it (and so far the only things I've dropped are Kiss x Sis, R-15 and possibly Sakura Trick. With this, it's only episode 1 and as long as the fan service doesn't get any worse (which I doubt) or the story becomes something of worth (which... I also doubt) I don't see why I should drop it so soon. For instance, I was able to read through Kodomo no Jikan because I honestly liked the story a lot despite how creepy it was. Truthfully, there are some parts of that manga I never want to read again in my life due to the content, but overall I thought it was a good read and worth the investment.

If anything, this will probably be at the very bottom of the list of my backlog.

icvvY98tozhlL.gif

Clov

Its waaaaay out of print. might be very difficult to find.

That's true, but maybe I'll get lucky. In terms of rare releases, the rarest I have is probably Manga Entertainment's End of Eva DVD. I got it for $5 at a Blockbuster!

I'm stillupset about how terrible the video quality is.

Mushishi 2 8
A kind of sad story overall. A young man is starting to get his life in order and then the mushi ruin the ship he was on robbing him of his pay and followed him home and make his mother ill. And it was his fault even if it wasn't intentional. Got to feel for the guy

Jex

Terror in Resonance OP: analysis

The opening credits for this series have a lot of neat visuals, alongside a nice song, but more than that, I think there's a lot of meaning and subtext in the specific imagery chosen, so let's analyze that.
This is a pretty solid post on the symbolism in the OP sequence. I can't think of many things to add, except that your reading of the imagery is a little too specific at times considering the limited amount of information to analyse. Some of the images you discuss are open to many different interpretations. Most of it, however, seems very clear e.g. Lisa leaning on a support to demonstrate her weakness.
The shot of a young Twelve with the images of the gear/clock-like structures overlaid inside of him suggests a mechanical and calculating soul.
I'm not so sure about this one. The characters face in that image is highly obfuscated so I can't say for sure that it's a young Twelve. It would make more sense for it to be the third character in the show, Lisa, especially as the first two shots in the sequence show Nine and Twelve, why would the next shot then be of a young Twelve? Especially when the next shot isn't a young Nine? It would be odd.

While it is hard to tell, I think it's more likely to be Lisa, mainly because of the prominent eyelashes which seem to be given more often to females than males:

How is Casshern Sins anyway? I haven't heard much about it. Not familiar with the original, either.
It's alright, worth a watch. A few standout episodes.

Edit: Revisiting my impressions from back in 2012, I liked it a lot less than I had remembered.

Clov

It's alright, worth a watch. A few standout episodes.

Seems pretty interesting from what I've read about it. I think I'll give it a watch as soon as I finish with Gintama.

Speaking of which, I'm really enjoying it so far! Really funny stuff. Loved the episode following the Shinsengumi on a TV show.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

That duckroll future has never looked better. The mocap on the apes was amazing, every expression and movement was just freaking fantastic. The best movie I've seen this summer. 9/10.

http://i.minus.com/icvvY98tozhlL.gif[/IM][/QUOTE]

Who told you that you could use a dog gif? YOU MUST ASK ME FIRST. RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

Branduil

This is a pretty solid post on the symbolism in the OP sequence. I can't think of many things to add, except that your reading of the imagery is a little too specific at times considering the limited amount of information to analyse. Some of the images you discuss are open to many different interpretations. Most of it, however, seems very clear e.g. Lisa leaning on a support to demonstrate her weakness.

I'm not so sure about this one. The characters face in that image is highly obfuscated so I can't say for sure that it's a young Twelve. It would make more sense for it to be the third character in the show, Lisa, especially as the first two shots in the sequence show Nine and Twelve, why would the next shot then be of a young Twelve? Especially when the next shot isn't a young Nine? It would be odd.

While it is hard to tell, I think it's more likely to be Lisa, mainly because of the prominent eyelashes which seem to be given more often to females than males:

Yeah you might be right on that one. It's hard to tell sometimes when a character is covered in digital effects!

In that case, I would say that the clock/gear structures could represent Lisa becoming enmeshed in Twelve and Nine's plots.

Link Man

Banned
Huh, so Hulu does HD now (probably 720p, but my Internet probably couldn't do more than that anyway). That's nice.

Anyway, watched some more Ranma. Significant haircut and a pig. Really enjoying the show, but the first OP is really, really grating.

Turns out it isn't just Knight of Sidonia. I loaded up an episode of Fate/Zero and the subtitles are doing the same thing. -_- Something must have happened to my version of the app between the 10th when I finished Fate/Zero and today.

Tokyo Esp 1

Goddammit, I really do not like In Media Res. If I didn't read the manga, my inability to figure out what the hell is going on would have been a real turn-off just like it was in Shin Mazinger Z. Not like the series has a bad beginning either.

That being said, it's nice to see this animated, and this episode kind of confirms we'll get to the end of part 1.

Narag

Turns out it isn't just Knight of Sidonia. I loaded up an episode of Fate/Zero and the subtitles are doing the same thing. -_- Something must have happened to my version of the app between the 10th when I finished Fate/Zero and today.

Try deleting and reinstalling it?

Narag

Mazinger Z 5

man, I could swear I've seen this before. Maybe the same bike fight adapted in a different iteration or as one of those episodes masquerading as movies at festivals or whatnot.

surprisingly good episode given the shaky start though. Guess that's what happens when you up the stakes.

cajunator

Banned
Magipoka OVA 3

Well that's that. OVAs were a weaker finish than I cared for but it was still nice to get a little more of the cast.

Liru is love.

I haven't seen this series, but if I ever watch it in the future, my expectations will be very high. You just called it better than Satoshi Kon's entire output, after all.

Ok so it appears I need to go research what Madhouse has made because a lot of my favorite stuff is apparently made by them and I didnt know it. I retract that whole statement pending further investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom