• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

Pending how Sakura does with its PE (hint, really well thus far), I wouldn't be surprised to see NISA get them. Toradora was licensed from Starchild (who holds the rights to Nanoha TV/movies), so there's a previous connection. That's the best guess one could offer as Starchild has licensed to all the notable companies recently.

If you asked me a year ago I never would have said NISA, but with CCS I can easily see it happening now. They might be waiting for the BDs of the series to come out first, though; as I learned in this thread, they're getting the same kind of high quality upscale that Toradora got.

cajunator

Banned
I think the BDs for the movies in Japan have English subtitles, so import away!

I wouldn't be surprised to see a domestic release of the movies and a re-release of the series in the future. Not sure who would pick them up again, though.

I would get the movies. Already have the two series (thank god)

Syrinx

Ranma 1/2 26

I've kinda realized this before, but that scene with Akane telling Ranma not to worry about fighting for her and that it won't be an issue dealing with that guy even if he lost, only to have her whole family surround her and praise her for trying to take the pressure off of Ranma was the moment where Ranma's and Akane's relationship began to come into a lot clearer view for me, and frankly it's something I feel I should have realized long ago. Yes, their constant being tsundere for each other can get annoying and yes, they can be very stubborn. But I think that this comes from all the shit they have to deal with from other people (including each other, to an extent). Not even just the pimping and the deciding of their futures, but frankly just that nobody listens to a goddamn word they say or considers that they actually have their own motivations and desires and want to decide their futures for themselves and be who they want to be instead of every action they make trying to be wooing the other (or somebody else).

Ironically this seems to be the backbone of their relationship. Personally I feel the constant "I'm not doing this for you" and other such language they use with each other isn't just about being afraid of getting too close to the other, but rather a subtle understanding between the two that yeah, the other person does have their own goals and motivations and not everything they do is for their sake. And I think they've become as comfortable around each other as they have as a result of that, even if they both are stubborn and can be a pain to deal with.

cajunator

Banned
You're really lucky! Any other rare Geneon sets you managed to get your hands on before they went under?

Not sure which sets are rare but ROD TV with the artbox and the book dvd case (I wanted the Anita figure with the artbox) and the velvet Rozen Maiden artbox. Those are very nice.
Also Paranoia Agent artbox. Also the whole 18 disc CCS set from Pioneer for 70 bucks. that was my once in a lifetime purchase.

Clov

Not sure which sets are rare but ROD TV with the artbox and the book dvd case (I wanted the Anita figure with the artbox) and the velvet Rozen Maiden artbox. Those are very nice.
Also Paranoia Agent artbox. Also the whole 18 disc CCS set from Pioneer for 70 bucks. that was my once in a lifetime purchase.

Sounds very nice! I wasn't as into collecting anime back then, so the only Geneon releases I managed to grab were the six Higurashi volumes. Well, I also have three of their Haibane Renmei volumes too. I'm missing just one!

I'd love to grab all of their Paradise Kiss volumes, but they're pricey, and the complete collection is even pricier! Maybe one day...

Narag

basically a ghost girl, a magical girl, an underground priestess and a space princess all want the room this guy is living in. As far I can tell, its a harem show similar to Kore Zombie Desu ka?

Could this fill the Magipoka sized void left in my heart??

Midonin

PriPara 02

Now I remember another reason why I picked up this show - besides trying to spread the word of the most deliberately wacky of the idol shows on air (it can get to AKB0048 levels on a regular basis) - is because of the director. Makoto Moriwaki, the man responsible for the concentrated anarchy that was the first two seasons of Milky Holmes. I have so much respect for him.

So, onto the show. The second episode is best summarized as "You can't have your PriPara if you don't have your meat." Lala's desperate attempt to escape from school was fun to watch. And I realized that her little sister's VA is Hana in Hanayamata, that's neat. The concerts still aren't wowing me, but when the time comes for Lala to get her own song, the real game begins. The infighting among the mascots is entertaining, and the show managed to introduce a twist I genuinely didn't see coming, thanks to the Precure-style makeovers the cast gets.

Mirei is actually the disciplinary committee member who's been keeping an eye on Lala the whole time.
The signs were kind of there in their personality archetypes, but Serizawa's vocal performances were different enough that I didn't quite catch on.

And one huge plus compared to the Pretty Rhythm series. The Pretty Rhythm Club live action sequences have been done away with, leaving more time for gags and story. I was worried this wouldn't be able to keep up the momentum from Rainbow Live, but it's doing a pretty good job so far.

mankoto

Ro Kyu Bu 1
Was watching some videos of Degenki Bunko Fighting Climax and found Tomoka's moveset really cute. Decided to take a look at the anime and was utterly blown away as to how wrong I was in thinking how this would turn out.

Narag

Magipoka OVA 1

KlDeqa3l.png

I'd have probably appreciated this one more if I had any sort of passing knowledge of the Peach Taro story.

cajunator

Banned
Sounds very nice! I wasn't as into collecting anime back then, so the only Geneon releases I managed to grab were the six Higurashi volumes. Well, I also have three of their Haibane Renmei volumes too. I'm missing just one!

I'd love to grab all of their Paradise Kiss volumes, but they're pricey, and the complete collection is even pricier! Maybe one day...

I used to be a Geneon whore. I bought a bunch of series.
Of course the Haibane Renmei set. Thats priceless.
Also Strawberry Marshmallow artbox is kind of rare
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P6XPYW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Narag

Ro Kyu Bu 1
Was watching some videos of Degenki Bunko Fighting Climax and found Tomoka's moveset really cute. Decided to take a look at the anime and was utterly blown away as to how wrong I was in thinking how this would turn out.

Yeah, you should skip the rest.

Clov

I used to be a Geneon whore. I bought a bunch of series.
Of course the Haibane Renmei set. Thats priceless.
Also Strawberry Marshmallow artbox is kind of rare
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P6XPYW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Wow, lucky! I'd love to pick up Strawberry Marshmellow sometime. Series was SO cute. Outside of the newer OVAs, there's no BD release for the series in Japan, so I think I'd be okay with the DVDs. If I could find them!

Oh what a splendid day it is. I finished Hyouka and people are watching Chihayafuru. Couldn't get better!

Chihayafuru S2 1

Ahhh it's been too long! For some reason, I was thinking they were third years and a little bit sad going in because of that. Lol at Nikuman-kun's "buffet" shirt. Chihaya's plan is the best course of action, focus on everything! I really liked the first season OP, not really feeling the second one, though it will probably grow on me.

Exactly, so stay away Sumire! I do like her so far, despite her sneaky ways. Assuming she will join and that one guy as well. I think getting back to this show, along with watching Hanayamata will be a very nice visual treat, both so pretty @__@.

I liked the OP after a few episodes. It's just one of those shows where you loved the first so much that OP2 wouldn't compare. After a while you realize that OP2 is really good too. The addition of new characters when I watched the show I thought were just there for being there. After a while though they grew on me. Prepare for more Chihayafuru goodness!

More people watching Chihayafuru makes me so happy

It makes the collective anime viewership happy. Now if only Madhouse would give us a season 3 instead of messing around with Hunter x Hunter and Onii-sama.

I was mislead by a stupid amv on what Chihayafuru was about.

But the show is still glorious.

In a different timeline, Chihayafuru discards the karuta crap and becomes the romance manga it was always meant to be.

Sometimes I just don't get you Branduil. Chihaya's love for Karuta and goal to be the best is what makes the show so engaging.

Jex

[..]

Of all 23 productions that Kyoto Animation had produced the animation for, I ranked it 24th after the logo they produced for a TV news program. Not an animation, the logo. It was that bad. People complained about Kyoukai, but this was utterly worse from the same series composer.

That's some next level burn, damnnnn.

mankoto

How did it turn out?
I was expecting cute girls doing cute things with basketball. I got that for a couple minutes and that was it. I wasn't exactly expecting anything perverse regarding them. Maho reminded me of how Rin from Kodomo no Jikan started out minus the vulgarities, but is still not okay.

Ro Kyu Bu 1

I would have liked this show a lot more if it focused a lot more on the cute little innocent concept of a high-school kid teaching elementary schoolers how to play basketball.

But of course, the evil giant monster clown living in the writer's head just HAD to bash his rubber mallet all over the place and start shouting: "LOLI FANSERVICE! LOLI FANSERVICE!"

Whyyyyyy..... >_<

Narag

I would have liked this show a lot more if it focused a lot more on the cute little innocent concept of a high-school kid teaching elementary schoolers how to play basketball.

But of course, the evil giant monster clown living in the writer's head just HAD to bash his rubber mallet all over the place and start shouting: "LOLI FANSERVICE! LOLI FANSERVICE!"

Whyyyyyy..... >_<

all the way to the bank at that

Jex

I know it's a sea of stars, but outside of like ancient times, I don't know why anyone would have fleets of that size. :p
If nothing else it seems like a logistical nightmare, especially since everyone fights on a 2d plane!.

Space is pretty big!

The logistics of fleet movement and organisation actually play a role in the plot on numerous occasions, as you'd imagine with such large, unwieldy fleets.

cajunator

Banned
Wow, lucky! I'd love to pick up Strawberry Marshmellow sometime. Series was SO cute. Outside of the newer OVAs, there's no BD release for the series in Japan, so I think I'd be okay with the DVDs. If I could find them!

Best bet is one of those amazon used copies

Jex

Chaika 7

So this is the Valley of NTR that Dresden left in search of nearly a month ago. I hope he finds his starter Chaika.

Like to think Chaika's poncho was a result of animators tired of dealing with her regular costuming too.
Chaika's character design really isn't suited to animation. It's a good thing she never does much!

I certainly don't have many rare anime items other than maybe the Requiem from the Darkness digipak from Geneon/Pioneer, and 40+ OSTs from Geneon/Pioneer, ADV/Animetrax, and Bandai I got from Right Stuf's bargain bin. I have a compulsive habit of checking to see if a random OST was relisted on the site every night...

Narag

Chaika's character design really isn't suited to animation. It's a good thing she never does much!

When I caught the early eps, I was surprised at how complex her costume design seemed to be and thought of how much of a pain in the ass it'd be to animate properly. Seemed like a lot of excess detail that'd look all sorts of wrong if perspective errors occurred.

LN is still ongoing so it's a formula that's worked for him and remains worth his time, I'd imagine.

Ah, okay. That's what you meant.

It's a real shame, because the scenes where the guy's teaching the kids basketball I found to be genuinely touching and cute little moments.

But the gaps this show could have filled with interesting and actual thoughtful character development on the side it instead fills with, well, all that other stuff.

Such a waste.

Narag

Magipoka OVA 2

Kinda cheap and the humor wasn't up to the standard of the tv series proper. Doctor character isn't very interesting and having the main cast in "If <monster girl> was a doctor..." scenarios was really hit or miss.

Narag

Ah, okay. That's what you meant.

It's a real shame, because the scenes where the guy's teaching the kids basketball I found to be genuinely touching and cute little moments.

But the gaps this show could have filled with interesting and actual thoughtful character development on the side it instead fills with, well, all that other stuff.

Such a waste.

Yeah that was mostly my impression when I went through it. Luckily there's other sports anime to scratch that itch.

Dog Days' 04

All this heavy petting is starting to make this show feel lewd.

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren - Heated Table Series 03

Talking about romance that doesn't exist in this bad show.

Ai Mai Mi ~Mousou Catastrophe~ 01

I have no idea what happened and I thought it was awesome.

Sin Strange+ 01

Appreciate Fukuyama Jun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom