• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Mazinger Z 5

man, I could swear I've seen this before. Maybe the same bike fight adapted in a different iteration or as one of those episodes masquerading as movies at festivals or whatnot.

surprisingly good episode given the shaky start though. Guess that's what happens when you up the stakes.

Don't you read ANN? Why are you even watching that trash!

Branduil

If you only watch one anime film directed by Yasuhiro Yoshiura this year, watch Harmonie.

ipwg0dgRhzVEi.jpg

Jex

How is Casshern Sins anyway? I haven't heard much about it. Not familiar with the original, either.

Casshern Sins is a beautiful looking, well directed, but rather depressing and repetitive show. I liked it quite a bit but after about 5 episodes you've pretty much seen everything the show has to offer.

Narag

Glancing at the first ep of the second season of Sengoku Basara , I can readily see where some of the Judge End complaints come from. Characters don't look quite right and the color palette seems way off.

Takeda Shingen in particular looks way off due to the colors used in his costuming. Older series Takeda has something that looks like a coherent whole when it comes to what he's wearing, new one looks like he can't dress himself. Wish I could describe it better as it seems like everyone is color coded in general. Normally he's approaching a duller red throughout, new design is just a mess of garish red, orange, and yellow that looks bad.

Effects animation seems like a possible big downgrade too.

Tokyo ESP 1

Fuck me. This was so anime it made me cringe. Like I've seen this setting a thousands time before, just another attempt by a mangaka to copy fucking x-men. The whole "special people in Japan" thing has been done to death. I mean nothing much comes out Friday so I guess I'll keep watching until the cringing becomes unbearable.

edit: also what the fuck is it with stupid kids in anime and trucks? Jesus fucking christ anime, stop trying to make me care by hitting kids with trucks. It got old.

Narag

Toyotomi's show of force in the first episode of the second season of Sengoku Basara will never grow old. Dude punches a hole in the cloud cover so he can give a speech to his enemies bathed in sunlight.

Chariot

Toyotomi's show of force in the first episode of the second season of Sengoku Basara will never grow old. Dude punches a hole in the cloud cover so he can give a speech to his enemies bathed in sunlight.
Oh yes, I loved his over the top strengh. Like
defeating the pirates by PUNCHING THE FUCKING SEA AWAY.

Narag

Oh yes, I loved his over the top strengh. Like
defeating the pirates by PUNCHING THE FUCKING SEA AWAY.

Yessss. He's probably my favorite part about that season because they firmly define him as strongest and never back down from that. It's just rare to see an upper limit be put so firmly in place. Solved the typical power creep issue right fast.

gaming thread got me thinking so how many anime are there with lolis that are 1000s of years old?

I feel like most don't even bother with that bs and just putting grade school lolis in compromising positions.

Chariot

gaming thread got me thinking so how many anime are there with lolis that are 1000s of years old?

I feel like most don't even bother with that bs and just putting grade school lolis in compromising positions.
Anime including vampires (look out for the blonde vampire lolis that can turn into adult versions) and demons are a good starting point.

Dance in the Vampirebund, Bakemonogatari, Negima and Nanoha come spontanouesly to my mind.
Speaking of the transforming lolis, Neptunia could count too, yes?

rokujouma no shinryakusha

kinda boring... but oh, now its anime. finally!

poor mahou shoujo :(

ooh reminds me i should watch nanoha movies again. good times.

kuma.

Thoraxes

It hasn't been licensed because aniplex hasn't figured out a way to sell it to you for 1k.

Or more because nobody wants it.
I guess I can chalk it up to Star Trek: TOS syndrome where some dude just decided to have a Roman planet because he's an asshole who loves Rome. lol

I know it's a sea of stars, but outside of like ancient times, I don't know why anyone would have fleets of that size. :p
If nothing else it seems like a logistical nightmare, especially since everyone fights on a 2d plane!
Actually not true. They talk about the azumith measurements in tactics in later episodes. The radars make it look that way, but they are much aware of the dimensionality of space.

I feel like most don't even bother with that bs and just putting grade school lolis in compromising positions

That's what I always find funny about the argument. The "legal loli" stuff was never widespread. Anime/manga/LN industry doesn't give a shit about hiding that level of depravity with loopholes.

Mokoi

Banned
Revolutionary Girl Utena 1

I decided to watch this since I haven't seen it yet. Also don't know anything about it besides it's kind of a mahou shoujo show. The opening song was amazing, and got me excited to see the rest of the episode. Utena is pretty cool with how strong she is, and doesn't seem to back down from a fight.

This particular shot was really good. That rose looks amazing. I really enjoyed the music played when she started walking up the stairs after this. It did a great job of building up tension for the duel. I look forward to seeing this through, but dam 36 episodes is long. At least for me.

Gazoinks

I decided to watch this since I haven't seen it yet. Also don't know anything about it besides it's kind of a mahou shoujo show. The opening song was amazing, and got me excited to see the rest of the episode. Utena is pretty cool with how strong she is, and doesn't seem to back down from a fight.

This particular shot was really good. That rose looks amazing. I really enjoyed the music played when she started walking up the stairs after this. It did a great job of building up tension for the duel. I look forward to seeing this through, but dam 36 episodes is long. At least for me.
I'm glad I came back into this thread right as someone started watching Utena. I always love watching impressions of this show.

...It's actually 39 episodes. :p

Narag

Chaika 8

Some plot shit that's zzz. Chaika & saboteurs good, everyone else bad.

The implication that magic may be a non-renewable resource caught me off guard though, seems like something that would be great to be explored but likely won't be within the confines of the show. Wonder if that's the value of the remains of Emperor Gaz, possibly serving as far more efficient (or infinite!) sources of magic fuel.

I ended up chatting online with a Netflix rep about my subtitle problem. They are going to look into it and I don't think it was a false promise. They seem interested in the problem. Guess I won't be watching Knights of Sidonia until it is fixed. From what I could tell, the Netflix version might not have the Blu-ray changes. The locker scene (which is pointless fanservice) was still censored.

duckroll

I ended up chatting online with a Netflix rep about my subtitle problem. They are going to look into it. Guess I won't be watching Knights of Sidonia until it is fixed. From what I could tell, the Netflix version might not have the Blu-ray changes.

Don't worry too much about the blu-ray changes. There might be some general technical improvements but nothing substantial I think. The alternate angles you mentioned before are just extra outtake scenes on the BD, not part of the actual episodes. The important part is the director's cut of the final episode which is longer, which I think Netflix has.

Blusby

ef A Tale of Memories 07: Ohhh damn, this series sure has picked up. The final scene in this ep got me, shit was legit chilling:

Iyt3GjZ.gif

Vylash

Persona 4 The Animation 10

i1chWYZWeYKXR.gif

So many Rise gifs but I guess I'll be a wimp and go with a tame one. Somehow the strip club looks even more sleazy than it did in the game. Rise's shadow will never not creep me out, died when she used the stripper pole as a gun. Teddie going through his own event and development during the battle was a great touch

ef A Tale of Memories 07: Ohhh damn, this series sure has picked up. The final scene in this ep got me, shit was legit chilling:

Yup,many tears were shed at the end of that episode

Think I'll finish Chaika tomorrow, catch SAO II and Aldnoah Zero, and see what else strikes my fancy.

I just started Chaika, but I'm also trying to play catch-up with Fate/Kaleid and Hamatora as well. That's not even counting the new shows and and the continuing stuff from last season. Feels a bit overwhelming sometimes. I know the new season of Chaika isn't going to start until October, but it seems like a fun show so far.

Don't worry too much about the blu-ray changes. There might be some general technical improvements but nothing substantial I think. The alternate angles you mentioned before are just extra outtake scenes on the BD, not part of the actual episodes. The important part is the director's cut of the final episode which is longer, which I think Netflix has.
Ah, okay. Yeah, I saw someone online elsewhere mention that it has the longer version of the final episode.

Dynedom

Have been watching Utena and have never skipped even the OP once, let alone the stock footage!

:hardcore:

Revolution Girl Utena - 04-05

Backstory on the student council is welcome. I also know that the damn stopwatch is going to have some significance. That or is this an Ikuhara visual red herring?

Anthy continues to be a slap magnet. :(

The Nanami gags with
trying to embarass Anthy in front of Mik
were just awesome. The use of stock footage there was acceptable but it also makes me really appreciate a similar type of scene from Full Metal Panic Fumoffu (Sousuke vs The Karate Club) where stock footage was used but with slight variations to reflect the situation. Oh well.

I think this episode really shows how much of
a master manipulator Touga is and that he's going to be the character to watch as the show unfolds
. The ultimate revelation about
Miki's sister
I guess I should have seen coming. It was a somewhat simple twist but it never truly crossed my mind. I guess this means when the major twists happen, they're going to blow my mind.

I love the piano pieces in this show so having an entire 2-parter dedicated to them was a welcome surprise.

Narag

I just started Chaika, but I'm also trying to play catch-up with Fate/Kaleid and Hamatora as well. That's not even counting the new shows and and the continuing stuff from last season. Feels a bit overwhelming sometimes. I know the new season of Chaika isn't going to start until October, but it seems like a fun show so far.

Feeling the urge to anime this weekend means I need to get to this stuff while I can lest they fall into the not completed list again. It's actually felt nice to go through a bunch of stuff today (and hopefully tomorrow) as at one point I couldn't really concentrate on it.

Feeling the urge to anime this weekend means I need to get to this stuff while I can lest they fall into the not completed list again. It's actually felt nice to go through a bunch of stuff today (and hopefully tomorrow) as at one point I couldn't really concentrate on it.

I'll be happy once I get through Chaika and the first season of Hamatora, as then it'll just leave the current ongoing shows for this season. It feels like I've been watching a truckload of anime lately, but that's probably because I plowed through Gundam Build Fighters last weekend in addition to all the premieres. It seems like the vast majority of the things I like air on Saturday.

Jex

I'm glad you like that scene. You'll get to see it again.

cajunator

Banned

There arent really that many. usually they are vampires.

Have been watching Utena and have never skipped even the OP once, let alone the stock footage!

:hardcore:

Me neither. I loooove that OP. and also the stairs bit.

if u skip stuff in utena then diaf

What is diaf?

Dynedom

I always got pumped for the song. Enough that I memorized the lyrics and always sang along lol.

Yup. The dual arena entrance music is something I love watching over and over. No idea why. Hell even the original transformation sequences and Moon Tiara Magic sequences from Sailor Moon were fun to watch over and over. Must be the music that keeps me coming back.

Me neither. I loooove that OP. and also the stairs bit.

Delicious 90's music.

Narag

Stock footage is serious business.

Wish it'd be subverted more often. For all of its faults, GaoGaiGar managed to occasionally mix things up with additions to the stock footage in some eps that broke up the inherent monotony. Failed Final Fusion and Manual Final Fusion spring to mind and might be it or even the same thing but hey, at least it was memorable.

Dynedom

Late on most of my impressions so gotta catch up. I haven't watched all these episodes in one day (still maintaining my mantra of not marathoning this show):

Revolutionary Girl Utena - 06

Nanami episode? Nanami episode! The
big brother complex
never gets old. I should hate Nanami but she's too funny. WHY?! I mean, she even
admits to never getting her hands dirty directly to Miki and he laughs if off too!

Maybe I'm drawing too much from the shadow puppet scenes but they do seem to foreshadow things, right? I mean, if we go back and look at this one, it seems to imply
a cover-up. You look forward to camping because of the curry but it turns out bad and you switch your reasoning so as not to deflate the value of the camping.
Is this a parallel to
Nanami's relationship with the underclassman
?

Also:
Saionji out of nowhere!

The visual gags with Nanami steal the show in this episode. I mean,
that recording equipment!

Also: only curly parsley is a leftover!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom