• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Is there a list or anything of good shows and visual novels with Yandere as the main theme?
I am up for anything no matter how dark it is.

Narag

Aura Battler Dunbine 10

lLpVhaNl.png

Bern is a real mean sumbitch in this one. Poor Keen.

Nice. I missed my chance to get Season 2 since there was only a limited edition release. Still don't understand why FUNimation is doing a DVD-only S.A.V.E. release. I hope the lack of Blu-rays isn't going to be a new trend for S.A.V.E. editions.

If you have 122 bucks ready to burn there's one up on EBay.

cajunator

Banned
Welcome to NHK is one of my top favorites. Its so good.

It really is. That show was pretty special. It was unexpectedly depressing too.

That's some seriously interesting stuff! I ought to look more deeply into things like this. I wonder why it's rare for Pony to have rights, though. Is it because they're primarily a music company?

Man that stuff is so confusing >_<

Hyouka 22 [END]

That was quite the ending. I will admit I did a little "what the crap" moment at the end there but I think it ended on a nice note. No need for a second season but if they ever did another one I wouldn't mind. The bait and switch at the end there might throw some people off and even make some people upset but as a whole the end did what it needed to do. Oreki is no longer
bound by his own motto "Don't do anything you don't have to and if you have to, do it quickly".
I think that's the point they wanted to get across.

This was a very fun watch and I throughly enjoyed watching every episode. I will do a more full review later but I just wanted to get across that this was a wonderfully animated show with great music and characters.

Glad you enjoyed it. I will always feel the first half is really weak and boring compared to the second but it has its moments. Overall I dont really mind the show, just I feel that its not worth the high praise it seems to get because of the inconsistency of episodes. Also Mayaka is shit and will always be a bitch. I hate her so much.

The design for her is actually great in that there are some really subtle but noticeable details. By beaver I mean her big ol tooth:

And lets not forget that she has a "tail" of sorts:

Awww thats precious. I cant wait to see this.

Apologies if already posted, and thanks to my Twitter timeline for the info, but there will be a Masaaki Yuasa artbook released in Japan on the 9th August. You can see some of the sketches on Cartoon Brew's website - they're mostly watercolours, it seems, and I'm particularly fond of this one from Kaiba:

Yuasa <3

Sakura Trick 2
So there's a second secret(?) gay couple(?) doing the exact same thing they're doing more or less? Okay.

I have no idea how SDBurton survived this show I really dont.

Another was a fine comedy. I dont think it intended to be but it was so ridiculous I couldnt take it seriously.

Jinrui wa Suitaishimashita - 09 through 12

I'd had this series on hold for a long time because I didn't want it to end. Well, I got suddenly motivated today and finished it. Interesting last couple episodes but it only left me wanting more. Nakahara Mai should voice more deadpan characters. She's fucking brilliant as Watashi.

Overall I give it a Would-kill-many-people-for-more/10.

This is one of my recent favorites. Its extremely unique and memorable. And occasionally bizarre. Better time loop episode than most movies can achieve.

Kanna was pretty funny. Liked Tamako too though. Just too bad there's that bird :p

Yeah. Don't think that was actually the reason for them making it about girls of course, but at least it does have some points like that.

era just sucks. Almost ruined my enjoyment of the show but characters like Kanna and Choi restored my faith in it. It also got me hooked on mochi. again.

Only Hyouka is worth watching.

And apparently an episode of Tamako Market.

Not true! Chuuni and Tamako are worth a view.

mankoto

So what happened to her glove and trigger discipline? Man this episode had a lot more mistakes than I intially realized. Considering this is episode 2, I'm honestly scared as to how this will continue to go down the line.

MhSVCvy.jpg

I have no idea how SDBurton survived this show I really dont.
I'd like to know how as well. This was the first time where I had to stop marathoning a series because I couldn't handle its contents. I'll try again tomorrow because dropping series isn't my thing.

Narag

So what happened to her glove and trigger discipline? Man this episode had a lot more mistakes than I intially realized. Considering this is episode 2, I'm honestly scared as to how this will continue to go down the line.

Different animators doing different cuts, I'd imagine.

Haven't had great experiences with eBay. I only do domestic purchases Right Stuf and their Amazon storefront (shawnek). Sure I am disappointed that I missed the Blu-rays, at least Season 2 seeing as Season 1 and the OVAs are not OOP yet, but at least I am only paying about $40 for the entire series.

Kansoku

Guys stop badmouthing KyoAni stuff okay? Have you ever thought about if they never existed, how life would be? Show some appreciation.

I'm only half serious.

This thought just crossed my mind: do CG series get fixed up for home video as well? I imagine correction/changes would be more subtle than with 2D series.

mankoto

Literal trainwreck.
Maybe the BD/DVD release will put it back on track.

Different animators doing different cuts, I'd imagine.
I suppose. But there was an instance in the episode where 2 character's mouths didn't move at all for at least 10 seconds. I just don't understand how there is little communication/quality checking between staff so early on. I'd understand if there was no budget to fix it, but I don't know. I don't know how it really works so I shouldn't be complaining so much.

Guys stop badmouthing KyoAni stuff okay? Have you ever thought about if they never existed, how life would be? Show some appreciation.

I'm only half serious.
I successfully imagined a world without K-ON once. It was pretty good.

Narag

I suppose. But there was an instance in the episode where 2 character's mouths didn't move at all for at least 10 seconds. I just don't understand how there is little communication/quality checking between staff so early on. I'd understand if there was no budget to fix it, but I don't know. I don't know how it really works so I shouldn't be complaining so much.

Actually wonder if the storyboards were fucked up or something if there's multiple errors throughout. Or the production is a mess and they have no time to fix anything.

mankoto

Actually wonder if the storyboards were fucked up or something if there's multiple errors throughout. Or the production is a mess and they have no time to fix anything.
I suppose that could also be true. I hope everything goes smoothly from here on out.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

http://i.imgur.com/MhSVCvy.jpg[img]

I'd like to know how as well. This was the first time where I had to stop marathoning a series because I couldn't handle its contents. I'll try again tomorrow because dropping series isn't my thing.[/QUOTE]

Episode 1 already have a lot of QUALITY, i'm sure it's all downhill from here.

[quote="Branduil, post: 120602611"]Literal trainwreck.[/QUOTE]
^
I want to type this :(

[quote="Femmeworth, post: 120603604"]This thought just crossed my mind: do CG series get fixed up for home video as well? I imagine correction/changes would be more subtle than with 2D series.[/QUOTE]

Well, there's Sidonia removing censor in BD (no pic, because it's NSFW)

Futurecard Buddyfight Episode 27

Personally not my favorite buddyfighters but
Ryouga inspiring Kimora to fight was surprising. They make him so self centered sometimes that one would have thought he doesnt care for anyone else. In any event, I smiled from it, he can truly be a team player and at least have some honour for how to win a game fairly

Narag

Strike Witches OVA

Surprisingly (thankfully) light on the lewd, more concentrating of the general concept of the show in the first half.

This was the highlight though as its effectively a Strike Witches version of Gunbuster Science Lessons complete with Sakamoto as Coach! Consequently, I learned a little more about the world via the production sketches and chibi cast dialogue.

Wouldn't call this essential viewing but it's not entirely without merit.

Nafe

http://i.imgur.com/MhSVCvy.jpg

I haven't seen the second episode yet and I'm not sure if it was mentioned but in the first episode when they are at the firing range they all are initially wearing the noise suppressing earmuffs. In a close up shot they suddenly aren't wearing them anymore and you can see their ears. Suddenly in the next shot everyone is wearing them again.

Hunter X Hunter - 137

Finally
Hisoka is back. Did this guy really have to make himself absent during the Chimera Ant arc? Dude would have made the thing much more bearable to sit through for many. people.

mankoto

Episode 1 already have a lot of QUALITY, i'm sure it's all downhill from hill.

I haven't seen the second episode yet and I'm not sure if it was mentioned but in the first episode when they are at the firing range they all are initially wearing the noise suppressing earmuffs. In a close up shot they suddenly aren't wearing them anymore and you can see their ears. Suddenly in the next shot everyone is wearing them again.

Maybe it's one guy just messing everything up.

cajunator

Banned
Just drop EVO. Watching how good they are is just depressing for me.

I play fighters for the cuties and to have something online to play with friends.

There's supposed to be a KanColle show coming out right?

Certainly. I hope my favorite ones are in it!

Crunchyroll got Magimoji Rurumo streaming in 15minutes.

Yesssss

Magimoji Rurumo 01

I didn't watch Yowapeda, but this work by the same author seems more like what I'm looking for. The show's decision to make Mimorin the star with her singing the OP and voicing the main heroine, I'm okay with. The more success any member of Milky Holmes gets, the better with me. Based on the first episode, I'm getting vibes of Heaven's Lost Property filtered through Witchcraft Works. Perverted humor all around - but even lowbrow comedy still has an art to it. And Rurumo's pretty cute. I'm used to energetic Mimorin, so deadpan Mimorin is an interesting casting decision.

Looks so adorable. Like that other silly short magic show with a female with. Kuromajo or something.

Nice. I missed my chance to get Season 2 since there was only a limited edition release. Still don't understand why FUNimation is doing a DVD-only S.A.V.E. release. I hope the lack of Blu-rays isn't going to be a new trend for S.A.V.E. editions.

Yeah thats why I jumped on it when I found it. Might not get the opportunity again.

Hah. I paid 65$ for it :D
It was worth the cost since its hard to find otherwise.

Invaders of the not-Nanana 1

Lewd but fun. Has :cajun written all over it.

Whats this?

Link Man

Banned
I play fighters for the cuties and to have something online to play with friends.

Certainly. I hope my favorite ones are in it!

Yesssss

Looks so adorable. Like that other silly short magic show with a female with. Kuromajo or something.

Yeah thats why I jumped on it when I found it. Might not get the opportunity again.

Hah. I paid 65$ for it :D
It was worth the cost since its hard to find otherwise.

Whats this?
INVADERS of the ROKUJYOMA?!

Watching The Loli Witch and the Hentai (aka Magimoji Rurumo) now, and it's reaching dangerous levels of lewd.

Clov

Though I'd prefer the movies, those prices :(.

I think the BDs for the movies in Japan have English subtitles, so import away!

I wouldn't be surprised to see a domestic release of the movies and a re-release of the series in the future. Not sure who would pick them up again, though.

I think the BDs for the movies in Japan have English subtitles, so import away!

I wouldn't be surprised to see a domestic release of the movies and a re-release of the series in the future. Not sure who would pick them up again, though.
Pending how Sakura does with its PE (hint, really well thus far), I wouldn't be surprised to see NISA get them. Toradora was licensed from Starchild (who holds the rights to Nanoha TV/movies), so there's a previous connection. That's the best guess one could offer as Starchild has licensed to all the notable companies recently.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders 15

Polnareff's such a dick to the right people. But I think Enya's enraged face was better in the manga.

And I had forgotten that the way Justice is defeated is
STAR PLATINUM JUST SUCKS IT UP, damn that's pretty OP
. Also nice to see
the hero, Polnareff tell the villain, Hol Horse to go screw himself when Hol Horse asks Polnareff to save him. Because really, why would he.

Huge horror movie vibes this episode, but it was a budget episode, I can deal with it as long as the last two fights are godly. Next episode should be great. STEELY DAN YEAAAAH

Tokyo ESP 01

That OP reminds me of the Mirai Nikki OP.
Bloodier then I thought it would be. Good OST so far.
Lots of MC fakeouts. I don't even know who the MC is. I would assume the "White Haired Girl" but I dunno.
Actually a pretty good first episode, interesting to see what's next. Has potential but could just go to shit instantly, but that's kind of redundant because every good first episode is like that. But shit those goons with guns were really fuckin dumb about that
damage reflection D4C Love Train thing. How many times do you need to see it before you realize the shot just goes to someone else? Shit guys.

Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!? 01

bbee10e574.jpg

What this show will most assuredly turn into

Generic OP.
This is like if someone played Megaman and got to the boss rush on the last stage of Wily's Castle then made a harem out of it, Jesus.
Does every girl have an ahoge in this? Like, every single one? Are there plot reasons for this like it's Medaka Box or something.
But I guess I'll keep watching this. For "reasons". It'll probably be better then Nanana anyway.
Speaking of "reasons"...

Rail Wars! 2
WOW the quality really went to shit this episode. But the parts that matter were still good.
The trains, I mean. This is a show about trains.
It didn't take long for the man hater redhead to fall for the MC. Gonna jump the gun and say best girl anyway.
This shows alright when it comes to doing it's thing, certainly more then Momo Kyun Whatever but I feel like Himegoto will be more interesting. No I mean it. Interesting.
I still like that ED.

Link Man

Banned
Magimoji Rurumo 1

Witch with a giant hat? Familiar with a Kansai accent? Dangerously lewd? We're one lesbian incest away from Yamibou, folks!

Midonin

Gundam Build Fighters 13-16

Great batch of episodes. Gundam baseball, Gundam Mario Kart, a really intense battle with Ricardo and a lighthearted, entertaining and surprisingly informative episode. Most of the figures I (want to) buy are pre-assembled and pre-painted, but the enthusiasm with which the mysterious bearded man doing the Cutey Honey deal talked about building Gunpla may have sparked my interest. It's the same appeal as Lego. People just have a natural attraction to things they build themselves.

And the baseball and racing episodes interested me because they provided satisfactory answers to a question I've been thinking. "Why can't giant robots be used for things other than war?" So many mecha series take place during a war or have a war break out during them, and while there are variations like making the war over something absurd (Daimidaler) or giving it a local flavor and making it about talking your problems out (Rinne no Lagrange), giant robots should have quite a few other uses. And in a world where things are only limited by your imagination, having Gundam mini games like that - and in the case of Aila and Caroline's mechs, that takes on a new meaning - speaks to the possibility of something more.

It's an ode to creativity, not in spite of, but because it's speaking on behalf of Bandai's merchandising department. I'm hyped for the second season and I'm not even done with the first yet.

Narag

Chaika 7

So this is the Valley of NTR that Dresden left in search of nearly a month ago. I hope he finds his starter Chaika.

Like to think Chaika's poncho was a result of animators tired of dealing with her regular costuming too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom