• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heck I'd rather have a Kirito/Onii-Sama/gary stu copy cat for the main character, even if there character is just being perfect and having everyone love them unconditionally that's still more of a character then our supposed lead of Aldnoah Zero. I get that some people are horribly beaten down with an infinite number of shinji clones and Inaho is a breath of fresh air compared to them... but he's honestly worse and unless they do some really cool stuff with him and his character the only good thing he can do is sacrifice himself and hope his no personality rubs off on the martians and they stop giving a crap and just leave Earth.

Shouldnt we wait and see how he develops over the course of the anime instead of calling him worst than those characters in just the second episode. We havent even seen any glimpse of what role he will play in the larger story at hand.

Narag

Shouldnt we wait and see how he develops over the course of the anime instead of calling him worst than those characters in just the second episode. We havent even seen any glimpse of what role he will play in the larger story at hand.

Seriously, guy hasn't even had a chance to actually do anything so far since they jammed so many characters into the first two eps.

Perhaps I would feel more confident if I wasn't sure the big twist for Inaho is that he's going to be a martian who's been living on Earth this whole time.

Frog-fu

Banned
This season turned out better than expected. I'm currently watching:
Akagame ga Kill
Aldnoah.Zero
Barakamon
Re: Hamatora
Space Dandy S2
Sword Art Online II
Tokyo ESP
Tokyo Ghoul
Zankyō no Terror

and I'm enjoying every each of them thus far, evening SAO to some degree.

Linkark07

Banned
Aldonah.Zero - 2

Well, fell in love with the opening and the OST. No surprise though, since Kalafina sang the opening and the composer of the OST is the same one who did Shingeki no Kyojin, Kill la Kill and Guilty Crown.

Overall, I'm liking it. But my main concern is 12 episodes. Really feel this need more than 12 or 13 episodes else it might feel rushed.

Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen - 2

Another one I'm really liking. At least this one is a 2 cour series so plenty of time to develop the characters and the plot.

Not going to see anything if in the US as CR doesn't have US streaming rights for it.

Sorry, bad wording. Do those viewers in the regions of Europe (excluding UK and Ireland), the Middle East, and North Africa able to watch the first two episodes of Barakamon on Crunchyroll?

Aldonah.Zero - 2

Well, fell in love with the opening and the OST. No surprise though, since Kalafina sang the opening and the composer of the OST is the same one who did Shingeki no Kyojin, Kill la Kill and Guilty Crown.

Overall, I'm liking it. But my main concern is 12 episodes. Really feel this need more than 12 or 13 episodes else it might feel rushed.

Aldonah is split-cour; 24 episodes in total.

aldnoah zero 2

alternate world where every airforce in the world has F-22's.

So... i guess we should happy that project of sending people to NASA is currently on hold?

Is there a reason why the mechs look so much like the stuff in FMP?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Akagame ga Kill
Aldnoah.Zero
Barakamon
Space Dandy S2
Sword Art Online II
Tokyo ESP
Tokyo Ghoul
Zankyō no Terror

Yea, this season is washing the shittaste that was Spring out of the palette.

Vylash

Happiness Charge Precure 05

jMfi9dC1BgNiU.jpg

Megumi's mom is best mom, Hime's faces are best faces

Akagame ga Kill
Aldnoah.Zero
Barakamon
Space Dandy S2
Sword Art Online II
Tokyo ESP
Tokyo Ghoul
Zankyō no Terror

You should add Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun to your list its worth your time trust me.

mankoto

Captain Earth 15
It's been a while since it felt like the plot actually moved forward and man did it move.
I honestly didn't think Puck would take over his body. I was under the impression it was going to kill him outright. And it was a matter of time before Hana got a livelaster (thanks new OP).Speaking of Hana, is she now officially the strongest party member?

So I'm back in the US and I start my return with my reactions to SAO2, oh joy! Code Geass reviews will come soon-ish.

Sword Art Online II - 01

Bland intro episode, nothing really happened. I have to say the main villain's intro was pretty hilarious instead of threatening.

Sword Art Online II - 02

This episode was much better as it focused mainly on our new protag Shinon in addition with focusing mainly on the action. I'm probably overthinking this but I do hope Shinon doesn't turn into a generic trope of being physically crippled in the real world leading into why she's (so far) bad ass in the virtual world.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sword Art Online 2

STRONG
6QhlFEpl.png

FEMALE
JOyXzPrl.png

PROTAGONISTS
61Vr7Erl.png

Watching this episode after the GuP OVA is almost unfair. But you can already see how Sinon will fall in love with Kirito... which I guess is the only real reason this episode is needed.

Midonin

Rail Wars 02

This is a small but significant part of why I'm enjoying the series. The other is because I'm on Team Haruka for a bunch of what amounts to personal biases. I thought the bomb heist was pulled off pretty well. The solution was connected to earlier in the plot, it gave some bonding moments with Aoi, and I never found the fanservice too intrusive. The show still has train security as its main deal, just mixed with a bit of a romantic comedy. And romantic comedy is a pretty broad formula that can be blended into lots of things. It's not always blended well, but I'm not seeing any problems here. If their being on the job allows the team to come closer together, then it'll feel like it belongs there. Plus, like Toqger, the train trivia in the preview is very similar to that show's "Everyone's Train Corner." Just without merchandise/movie promotions it needs to sneak in.

There are animation errors aplenty, but those can be fixed on the home video release. I think something about watching anime late at night puts my mind in a much calmer state compared to morning and afternoon. I had the same kind of mellowness in regards to Kawaisou.

Though I'd like it if CR could air both TBS shows on the same day.

Crocodile

Sword Art Online II 2

Watch a teenage girl get hit on by a grown man as the camera focuses on her tits. Great...and I bet they're never going to waste an opportunity to show her ass when she's sniping. The fight was pretty cool, definitely better than anything in the first season. I didn't like the tone though, it seemed too serious for something so dumb. What does "smiling on the battlefield" have to do with anything? It's a fucking videogame? Then we see the harem losers player their lame old mmo aaaaaand the loli gets tentacled again...haha just like old times NO FUCK YOU SAO. Tentacle rape can't be turned into some sort of dumb nostalgia trip. Will we reminisce about Asuna's tear licking next episode?

YES YES, this post amuses me. Suffer so I don't have to!

:) :p

I do think the compressed timetable really screws up the 'logicality' of the show. If it had been 200 years or so since Heaven's Fall then that would explain why human civilization was close to normal, instead of being a complete mess like it should be, and also would emphasize the gap between the Human and Martian technology in a more believable way.

It would also help explain the Martian side a bit better(that's assuming there isn't time travel/dilation already in the story, which is very possible. Something like Heaven's Gate was a wormhole and when it was destroyed, time sped up for the Martians while Terrans progressed like normal).

I've only seen the first episode but yeah that was a big issue for me as well. I don't completely understand how you have Earth vs Martin factions develop over the course of 40+ years. The "Martians" are basically regular people who got there hands on the secret tech found on the Moon right?

Also, LOL as if I'd believe the Earth would be in as good condition as it seems to be if the Moon blew up 15 years ago :p

mankoto

This episode was much better as it focused mainly on our new protag Shinon in addition with focusing mainly on the action. I'm probably overthinking this but I do hope Shinon doesn't turn into a generic trope of being physically crippled in the real world leading into why she's (so far) bad ass in the virtual world.
Well unless the OP is lying to me, you can see her moving her legs on the swing for a bit. So I doubt she's crippled. That being said, I hope that she doesn't pull an Asuna in that she starts off a strong female protag - hinted at being stronger than Kirito at some points, only for her to feel like she can't do anything without him later on.

Midonin

I realize I've been encountering Dogakobo long before this. They also animated Myself;Yourself (nothing special, but it was one of the first anime I watched when I joined the late night anime culture.), the Koihime Musou trilogy, a wonderful example of how to do a VN adaptation, and 11eyes, the only anime I've played the VN for before it was animated. But I was still satisfied with the animated version.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Aldnoah Zero 02
They're invading a planet with a population that numbers in the billions, but I have to watch some overblown characterization of evil physically run down a single man parachuting and this is somehow supposed to carry weight after we watched an entire city get blown up.

This is kind of a weird complaint but the armaments on the mechs bugs me. One of the few combat advantages a mech would have over something like a tank would be its effectiveness inside an extremely close range. Earth's mechs our outfitted with...boxcutters though. Conceptually the Martian mechs are maybe even worse, with the one most prominently featured lacking almost any weaponization so it can...slowly stomp around.

The whole chase/battle scene near the end all felt nonsensical. If the area is mostly evacuated what purpose could possibly exist for a small contigent of Earth mechs to make a stand here? What a pointless waste of resources.

Narag

Chaika 12

This was a nice ending to this cour. What started out as super average fantasy animu about Arthur MacGazffin's remains turned into something really great about a displaced military during a time of peace, a discussion of them as tools vs individuals, and how playing the role of hero can be a real shit deal in the end. Looking forward to the next cour to see where this goes now.

Aldnoah Zero 02

This is kind of a weird complaint but the armaments on the mechs bugs me. One of the few combat advantages a mech would have over something like a tank would be its effectiveness inside an extremely close range. Earth's mechs our outfitted with...boxcutters though.

I think it was just to highlight how technologically advanced the martians are by comparison. The Earth mechs are relatively simple by comparison, and the ones the Martians use, while still machines, have a much more organic design. Like something out of Heroic Age (shut up, I love that show).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Maybe she'll fall in love with girl Kirito, find out it's actually a dude, then get turned straight because of him.

It fits in with SAO's style perfectly.
Kirito is so good he transcends sexuality and gender after all!

Maybe Kirito could fall in love with her instead?!
To nail the Asuna onahole ending completely?

So she can get a reverse harem of her own and have her squad and Kirito's and his groupies duke it out for an unexplainable reason. The plan is set in motion too. She has that older guy hitting on her already.
What if her harem starts hitting on Kirito instead and she gets psychotically jealous to the point where she turns into Death Gun?

No Game No Life - 12

Well that's an interesting way to end a first season, this damn show better have a second season in the works. Episode was fairly entertaining concluding the game and establishing an alliance between the two nations. Question is, who/what the fuck is Old Deus?

jgminto

Ace of the Diamond 39

Oh my god, this fucking pacing. I didn't think it was possible to extend the game another episode. We already know who's going to win at this point so it's ridiculous that they've stretched it out this much. The pacing has been pretty bad for most of the series. It was bad in the training and it was bad in these last few games, especially this one. Only the first few games of the tournament had decent pacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom