• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
So you're really trying to push the argument that because they knew it was coming that of course nobody in the general populace would panic? Their entire planet is about to get wrecked again why would you not panic regardless?

No, I'm saying the panic phase,especially where the core characters are, is probably close to being over. We know that there has been significant time lapses in the events of the show and that based on where the characters physically are, it makes sense that the people shown in the show wouldn't be losing their minds.

In short, far away from hot spots + time = people not acting like complete fools.

Quasar

Mahouka 15 - Highly amused seeing Miyuki accuse Erika of having a brother complex. And though it seems many people hate it, I've been enjoying the time taken showing off the magical competitions.

Mahouka Episode 15

I really liked this episode and the OST was so good during the Monolith competition. It was great seeing Leo, Mikihiko, and Tatsuya combining their efforts and beating ass. And Crimson Prince being OP, just walking down like a boss. It was nice seeing Erika say that Miyuki is a bro-con queen. Overall I thought this episode was good, can't wait for the Tatsuya vs Masaki showdown.

Narag

Nandaka Velonica 3

UniH1o1l.png

A disgusting propaganda piece meant to teach children the value of lab grown foodstuffs.

Midonin

Happiness Charge Precure! 24

Loved seeing the first full transformation and pose for the team as a whole. Iona had to be squeezed in there like Moonlight since hers requires different merch, but it looked very smooth overall. Her training was also kinda fun to watch. She's deadly serious about tambourine training. She can't simply smack it anywhere and expect it to work. Anmitsu Komachi is by far the most Japanese of all the forms, but like the other forms, I hope to see more of it outside of its one CGI attack.
And the end of the episode hints at a possible love triangle with Seiji, Hime(?), Megumi and Blue.
All because Iona sought to challenge the status quo on why love is forbidden.

But yuri never is!

Cure of the Week is Urara, but not the same Urara who's starring in Survival Game Club. That one is technically Muse.

Mahouka 15

Sounds like they are using some songs that arent on the first ost, though whenever the whistles start for code break, cant help but dance.

Monolith Code is what I have always been waiting for and they did a mighty good job with it, though one of them did feel like it was shortened extremely
one seemed like a close call even for Tatsuya's crew even
. Leo's moment and Mikihiko moments were the best
showing that it seemed odd for Mikihiko to have even been put in that class designation. and about that for Erika to be a higher up, and implicated with Mari Watanabe as well as Naotsugu too. It always did raise flags to me about the premise behind how the school put people into designations even if it gave that weird reason in the beginning the social status of characters ought to have given them leeway out of it

Hopefully next week I can see it when it airs, one of my favorite moments in the series for multiple characters.

jgminto

Aldnoah Zero 2

The "hero" sucks. It's hard to care about anything going on if he can't even do that. All I did was laugh when
his classmate was vaporised.
It doesn't have a shocking effect if the characters aren't worth caring about.

Andrew J.

[Aldnoah.Zero] - 2

Instead, I have to blame Sawano and Urobuchi. Even though Sawano and Urobuchi have very different roles (composer and writer, respectively) they both constantly commit the same sin - the sin of being obnoxiously over-the-top. Neither of them seem to understand the concept of subtly or restraint.

I can see how that would be off-putting to people who don't have a preference for aesthetic maximalism.

I'm not too thrilled with how everyone is reacting to the attack either. Most civilians seem completely unphased when their should be some serious panic, or at least some moaning and whaling. Instead everyone looks calm and board. The kids chat likes it's nothing even though a calamity is clearly occurring. Earth's greatest cities are being ruined, the end times are approaching etc. And yet everyone is calm and collected. This just doesn't ring true.

This is Japan we're looking at here. People are probably rioting like crazy in the US.

Syrinx

Happiness Charge Precure 23

Why the hell do they pray to the box full of evil shit?

Funny scene with Hime and Iona at the grocery store, with Iona being so intense about being economical and Hime so easily intimidated by her.

cajunator

Banned
Another 12

Yeah, ok.

Incredible boring and then the deaths isn't that interesting either. Not even so bad it's funny, just plain boring. It gave my sound-system something to do at certain points at least and it looks ok? Maybe it would have worked better as a short movie instead of a long TV series? I dunno.

1/10 I don't even care to make somethings.

wow. You know a show is hated when Mikey wont even make a cutie rating scale fof it.

This is one of my grips about SAO as well.

Log Horizon's random people were all mostly unique.

Log Horizon just had better ideas, characters, setting, story, art, basically everything. SAO might have been passable if it didnt exist to compare to.

Chaika 10

Good way to end it with Akari appearing as she did. Psycho kid was some laughable shit as was
making sure to explain what can kill a dragoon before Fredrica getting a chestful of sword later

That show is incredible mean to her :(

Happiness Charge Precure 23

Why the hell do they pray to the box full of evil shit?

Funny scene with Hime and Iona at the grocery store, with Iona being so intense about being economical and Hime so easily intimidated by her.

Cure Bloom is obviously Not-Nagisa

Dead

well not really...yet
I'm finishing up Sword Art Online so I can experience season 2 with the rest of the world.

Are they for real with the villain of the 2nd arc? Lmao.

Narag

I'm finishing up Sword Art Online so I can experience season 2 with the rest of the world.

Are they for real with the villain of the 2nd arc? Lmao.

The only thing better than that villain is how they resolve his and Kirito's in-game conflict. Groundbreaking stuff.

Why isn't Barakamon shown on the OT, I thought it was licensed by Funimation.

Probably because FUNimation still has not stated when their simulcast delaycast will be.

Barakamon - 2

SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI! SENSEI!

Ninomiya-kun?

mankoto

SAO II 2

That was really legit. If they can keep this up, at least with the gunplay parts, it won't be as much as a drag as the first season.

Narag

Chaika 11

Saboteur vs saboteur was some hotness.

Fucking dresden too, he put that starter pokemon thing in my head. Ilost it at "yellow Chaika" and "blue Chaika" because of it.

@cajun: laughed so hard at what happened to Fredrica as I didn't expect that. No one could expect that

Eureka Seven - 9

Damn, I certainly wasn't expecting Eureka's backstory to involve that
kind of scenario with the children. Poor kids don't even know it was her who probably killed their real parents.

I'm getting some Gundam 00 S2 vibes from the whole
"army massacring anti-government forces"
thing. Shouldn't be too much of a problem though as long as it doesn't go nuts like Gundam 00 S2 did.

All in all, good episode. I liked the music during that scene near the end with Eureka and Renton. I'm getting more and more interested in this show little by little now. Hope it keeps this up.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Girls und Panzer OVA was cute, even if everyone is named after Italian food for some reason. lol

And yeah, the reason why they weren't at the finals was hilarious. :p

cajunator

Banned
It's my (low) expectations of top XX lists on Internet, then :p. They are so universally horrible that if I see one with some decent titles (Mushishi, Logh, Ruroni Kenshin OVA, Wolf Children, Sen to Chihiro, Gurren Lagann, Stein's Gate) one starts thinking that it's somewhat good, but really the other half of it it's bad.

I never take popular lists too seriously. They never reflect actual quality just popularity so its really not worth getting all MGRGR over them.

Rail Wars 1 - 2

The male gaze is strong with this one.

Still, I like it. Anyone else watching this?

Also I dont like male gaze in anime. It always seems stupid to me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Or more because nobody wants it.
Actually not true. They talk about the azumith measurements in tactics in later episodes. The radars make it look that way, but they are much aware of the dimensionality of space.
Having a giant defensive ring around a planet seems silly when you could just approach from the poles or something though...

TUSR

Banned
SAO2 - 2

This show is actually good, what?

All episodes should be about Sinon, Kirito needs to not exist.

edit: Woah nevermind the tentacle monster is back lmao

Thoraxes

Having a giant defensive ring around a planet seems silly when you could just approach from the poles or something though...
The structure and systems for all that stuff get explained waaay better later on. It doesn't exactly work like that. I thought the same stuff at first too.

Mokoi

Banned
Revolutionary Girl Utena 3

I think I may say this every time, but the op song is so good. Gets me hyped up for the show. Anways red haired guy is still a creeper with a sister infected by the oni-sama love virus. Some of the school girls are bullies for stupid ass reasons. The rose bride seems to face a lot of abuse in her life, and kind of an annoying thing I've noticed in the show. Is that they really are going to be using that mouse as an comedy gag any chance they get. Not really too fond of that.

Now this shot right here! Is that supposed to be normal with old shows in how bad it is? I haven't watched an older anime in a long time, so I don't really remember if that's the norm.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The structure and systems for all that stuff get explained waaay better later on. It doesn't exactly work like that. I thought the same stuff at first too.
I'm hoping/expecting that basic tactics come into play beyond just having gigantic blobs of starships ramming into each other.

Midonin

Gundam Build Fighters 17-19

I like how all the battles - and the solutions to the battles - rely on the fact that these are just toys. And that almost all the characters are sympathetic. The Renato brothers were cheating and slimy, but in the case of, say, the Nils battle, both sides have a really good reason to fight. Sportsmanship wins in the end because this is an action show and the climaxes deal with battles as much as they do feelings, but this remains an element of the show that I really like. Plus, Nils meant the return of Caroline. And the Aila/Reiji and Misaki/Mao pairings are also shaping up, in different ways. Now this is how you do a tournament arc. Keep the stuff behind the scenes as important as what's going on on the field, but imbue both with a sense of personal stakes. And because of the two-cour length, it's not super dragged out either.

Superflat

Aldnoah Zero 2

Fantastic direction once again, taking off running now that they established most of the set up in ep 1.

They still find dumb ways to reiterate the same point multiple times just to make sure the viewer really understands what's going on, but that's a minor complaint when the execution of nearly everything else is done at a pretty high level. The protagonist is actually pretty interesting to me. He's not emotionless in the typical "male action anime protagonist" sort of way, he actually comes across as a pretty atypical personality for a lead.

Thoraxes

Rokujyoma no Shinryakusha!? - 01

Newcomer Maria Naganawa is the new tsundere challenger. Like god damn she's good. It's about time.

She's good. Maybe even kugyuu tier if she can keep it up.

Ace of Diamond Episode 39
BsYqx_QCAAAGZpE.png

The sound effect and Raichi's expression made this scene too funny. Great episode
though Tanba is my least favorite pitcher. That moment with Miyuki grabbing the ball with his right arm was unexpected and great too

Rokujyoma no Shinryakusha!? - 01

Newcomer Maria Naganawa is the new tsundere challenger. Like god damn she's good. It's about time.

She's good. Maybe even kugyuu tier if she can keep it up.
A Kugyuu of the generation akin to Saori Hayami being the new Noto Mamiko? I'm interested.

cajunator

Banned
Sword Art Online II 2

Watch a teenage girl get hit on by a grown man as the camera focuses on her tits. Great...and I bet they're never going to waste an opportunity to show her ass when she's sniping. The fight was pretty cool, definitely better than anything in the first season. I didn't like the tone though, it seemed too serious for something so dumb. What does "smiling on the battlefield" have to do with anything? It's a fucking videogame? Then we see the harem losers player their lame old mmo aaaaaand the loli gets tentacled again...haha just like old times NO FUCK YOU SAO. Tentacle rape can't be turned into some sort of dumb nostalgia trip. Will we reminisce about Asuna's tear licking next episode?

So it seems SAO 2 is picking up right where the first left off.
I dont drink but this might make me want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom