• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Gyo: Tokyo Fish Attack

What the hell were they thinking? This was really fucking bad save for the animation. Also incredibly tasteless (read: sexist) at times.

Edit: The director of this did Magical Sisters Yoyo & Nene? Welp, there goes my interest in that. The writer also worked on Fate/Zero, now I know the questionable depiction of women in that isn't all on Urobuchi or Ei Aoki.

All the stupid decisions stem from the manga it adapts as it's virtually the same aside from swapping the male lead from the manga with the his partner in the OVA.

whoops, see I was beaten.

Kill la Kill 04

k4J3euD.jpg

Heh. Even getting to school is hard. And that use of Blue Danube. Haha. Wonder how many students didn't make it in the end though and how many no-stars actually got to school :p

Frog-fu

Banned
I do like Durarara! for how ambitious to tries to be with so many of the interconnecting lives and storylines, and I really enjoyed the character interaction between Shizou and Izaya, as well as Dota-chin haha. I just wish they tried to resolve more of the plotlines or given the show more episodes to truly tie everything together. I really really enjoy the first half alot.

It's not perfect but I really do enjoy the supernatural atmosphere in DRR. The second half wasn't as coherent perhaps but I still enjoyed it a lot. More of DRR and Bacanno! would be epic. We're already getting a new fate/stay night remake in the fall, so if we can DRR in early to mid 2015 and maybe Bacanno! in late 2015/early 2016, I'mma be happy.

Just watch Pupipo between those two.
That one seems interesting. I'm not actually interested in Robot Girls Z, just curious why they like it.
All the stupid decisions stem from the manga it adapts as it's virtually the same aside from swapping the male lead from the manga with the his partner in the OVA.

whoops, see I was beaten.
Eh? That's the not case from some of the reviews I have read. The two friends are not present in the manga for one.

Narag

Eh? That's the not case from the some of the reviews I have read.

Maybe I should have said most but I remember going through the manga directly after because I wanted to see why the anime was so bad and that's what obviously stood out the most.

edit: Oh yeah, I see now. The addition of the two girls was beyond strange and I guess an attempt to give it more of a horror vibe in the most terrible way possible.

duckroll

I don't think Gyo is sexist at all. I think it's fairly offensive in general, but that makes it a deliberate and effective adaptation of the spirit and tone of a Junji Ito story. It's not meant to be an empowering or enjoyable sort of story, and that's the entire point. My experience with his manga is that usually after reading it you feel kinda sick and fucked up, wondering why anyone would want to write something like that. Regardless of whether the characters are male or female, the intent is to shock, disgust, and have this dis-empowering effect on the audience where you just feel that maybe there's no hope and everything just sucks. In that sense Gyo was a good adaptation of the spirit of the work, even if the material has changed significantly. Not that I would recommend anyone to watch it or ever want to watch it again myself!

I don't think Gyo is sexist at all. I think it's fairly offensive in general, but that makes it a deliberate and effective adaptation of the spirit and tone of a Junji Ito story. It's not meant to be an empowering or enjoyable sort of story, and that's the entire point. My experience with his manga is that usually after reading it you feel kinda sick and fucked up, wondering why anyone would want to write something like that. Regardless of whether the characters are male or female, the intent is to shock, disgust, and have this dis-empowering effect on the audience where you just feel that maybe there's no hope and everything just sucks. In that sense Gyo was a good adaptation of the spirit of the work, even if the material has changed significantly. Not that I would recommend anyone to watch it or ever want to watch it again myself!
No, it is absolutely not equally offensive in how it treats men and women.

Edit: I don't mean to say that a work trying to offend has to have a 50/50 split, but there is a clear difference in how women are used and treated in the film.

Hugstable

Banned
Fate/Zero Season 2 Episode 9: Knight on Two Wheels

That plot twist right at the very end! HOLY SHIT!!! I can't wait to get to the end, what a ride this has been so far.

Blusby

I've started watching through what Anime Mirai had to offer over the years, figured that I'd start with 2013's selection considering that I watched LWA months ago, anyways the quality disparity was pretty high between the greats (Harmonie & LWA) and the not-so-greats (Arve Rezzle & Ryo).
Haromie > Little Witch Academia > Arve Rezzle > Ryo
Now gotta watch through the other years offerings so I can get on with depraved romcom haremshit.
Also finished ef A Tale of Memories, I seriously felt as if I was missing out on a sizable amount of character exploration but in the end I still really liked it, also still couldn't believe the director wasn't Shinbou, stuff looked as if the big S himself was runnin' the adaption.

mankoto

Barakamon 2
This episode was really fun. I hope it stays like this and doesn't turn into some melodrama once all of the characters have properly been introduced.

For some reason I feel the need to start Usagi Drop after watching this...

BluWacky

Just saw the Tokyo Ghoul OP and it made me want to watch the show.

Holy shit this season's OPs and EDs are godlike

The use of colour in particular in the Tokyo Ghoul OP is excellent. It may not be massively bombastic - in fact, it's very "slow" moving, in a sense - but it's fluid and dramatic, and the song is just the "right" side of scream Linkin Park-esque metal. It's very well put together in general and creates exactly the right tone - it's dark, it explores the duality of the human/Ghoul life the protagonist now leads (and how it is hidden beneath the surface of the lives of the other characters), and presents the usual cavalcade of characters.

I prefer the digital effects wizardry and music in the Terror in Resonance OP as my "favourite" thus far, but that's going for a very different tone. The Nozaki OP is okay but I haven't watched the show yet so I can't really judge how it fits the show it's attached to!

I was a bit disappointed by the Aldnoah Zero OP (which is, to be fair, pretty much the only part of the series I've watched so far). Musically it's Kajiura/Kalafina just doing the same old thing they always do, and there's little synergy between the music and the animation. Pretty much the only shot I really liked is one of the ones of th princess character lying on the ocean of clouds, but I've seen that before in something so it doesn't have that much of an effect.

Still working my way through most of the others (I might even get around to watching some of the episodes that follow them, as well...).

(potentially my favourite OP of the year, though, is that for Halt and Catch Fire. Another series I haven't watched yet, although apparently it's dreadful so maybe I shouldn't be rushing?)

The use of colour in particular in the Tokyo Ghoul OP is excellent. It may not be massively bombastic - in fact, it's very "slow" moving, in a sense - but it's fluid and dramatic, and the song is just the "right" side of scream Linkin Park-esque metal. It's very well put together in general and creates exactly the right tone - it's dark, it explores the duality of the human/Ghoul life the protagonist now leads (and how it is hidden beneath the surface of the lives of the other characters), and presents the usual cavalcade of characters.

I prefer the digital effects wizardry and music in the Terror in Resonance OP as my "favourite" thus far, but that's going for a very different tone. The Nozaki OP is okay but I haven't watched the show yet so I can't really judge how it fits the show it's attached to!

I was a bit disappointed by the Aldnoah Zero OP (which is, to be fair, pretty much the only part of the series I've watched so far). Musically it's Kajiura/Kalafina just doing the same old thing they always do, and there's little synergy between the music and the animation. Pretty much the only shot I really liked is one of the ones of th princess character lying on the ocean of clouds, but I've seen that before in something so it doesn't have that much of an effect.

Still working my way through most of the others (I might even get around to watching some of the episodes that follow them, as well...).

(potentially my favourite OP of the year, though, is that for Halt and Catch Fire. Another series I haven't watched yet, although apparently it's dreadful so maybe I shouldn't be rushing?)

I think Tokyo Ghoul, Nozaki-kun and Barakamon have my favourite OPs. And the Barakamon ED is so far ahead of all the others it's insane.

Tokyo Ghoul 2

yeah, that censorship suuuuuuuuuuuucks.

I'm enjoying this show more than I thought. Think I'll stick with it, which I honestly wasn't expecting to.

duckroll

No, it is absolutely not equally offensive in how it treats men and women.

Edit: I don't mean to say that a work trying to offend has to have a 50/50 split, but there is a clear difference in how women are used and treated in the film.

I don't think you understand quite what I'm saying. The presentation's objective is not about fair treatment or being equally offensive or whatever. It's intent is to present a scenario featuring a number of characters, and then extract maximum offense to the viewer using that scenario. In the case of the anime, the scenario is a girl away from her boyfriend spending the night with two friends. Changing the scenario to a female perspective is probably, as ironic as it sounds, meant to engage more female audiences to the work. As I've mentioned before Ufotable has a number of female staffers working there, and they also have a sizable built-in female fanbase.

I can't speak for the effectiveness of engaging such an audience only to try to offend them as much as possible because the entire logic behind such horror works is something I don't think I will ever get, but I certainly do believe that it's not done to undermine women in particular. I think of it as an offensive-for-everybody premise adapted with a feminine slant if that makes sense. It might not be the best idea to play with gender role reversal when something is basically going to offend anyway, but then again I don't see what people get out of Junji Ito stuff in the first place.

I've started watching through what Anime Mirai had to offer over the years, figured that I'd start with 2013's selection considering that I watched LWA months ago, anyways the quality disparity was pretty high between the greats (Harmonie & LWA) and the not-so-greats (Arve Rezzle & Ryo).
Now gotta watch through the other years offerings so I can get on with depraved romcom haremshit.
Also finished ef A Tale of Memories, I seriously felt as if I was missing out on a sizable amount of character exploration but in the end I still really liked it, also still couldn't believe the director wasn't Shinbou, stuff looked as if the big S himself was runnin' the adaption.
Did you watch ef A Tale of Melodies? That's has a massive part of the story as well.

duckroll

Errrrrr. Harmonie is Anime Mirai 2014. Sounds like you're missing Death Billards from 2013, which is one of my favorites! Harmonie is part of this year's offerings, along with Parol's Island, Chronos, and The Big First Year Student & The Small Second Year Student.

Narag

Errrrrr. Harmonie is Anime Mirai 2014. Sounds like you're missing Death Billards from 2013, which is one of my favorites! Harmonie is part of this year's offerings, along with Parol's Island, Chronos, and The Big First Year Student & The Small Second Year Student.

Still wish we'd gotten a short series based around the Death Billiards concept. rip anime twilight zone

Girls und Panzer - 09 through 12 (end)

That was a fantastic, feel-good series. I'm glad you guys talked so much about it yesterday that I got off my ass and tried it out. Would love more. I ended up liking pretty much every team by the last episode. That tactic to take out the Maus was so ridiculous I couldn't stop laughing.

Mahouka - 15
Seriously third high , i know you both are geniuses but you're both arrogant to the extreme.
It's not even planning , "it's nothing can ever happen to us, we're going to win" when a competition is always full of "unexpected" events.

Those 2 litterally have their guard dropped and tatsuya only has to collect the reward.
Mikihiko now is now without nerfing and full of confidence and leo is doing leo-things ...

Cool episode

Girls und Panzer - 09 through 12 (end)

That was a fantastic, feel-good series. I'm glad you guys talked so much about it yesterday that I got off my ass and tried it out. Would love more. I ended up liking pretty much every team by the last episode. That tactic to take out the Maus was so ridiculous I couldn't stop laughing.

Yeah, it's a really fun show. That last battle was really something.

duckroll

Still wish we'd gotten a short series based around the Death Billiards concept. rip anime twilight zone

I would like to see Tachikawa direct something original on his own one day. Maybe such a concept would even work for noitaminA. I'm holding out hope because Kotomi Deai was the assistant director for Kids on the Slope and later Silver Spoon S1, and then she got promoted to full director for Silver Spoon S2. One day after Terror in Resonance, Tachikawa might be able to direct a noitaminA series too!

Blusby

Did you watch ef A Tale of Melodies? That's has a massive part of the story as well.
Not yet, I'm gonna watch something a bit more light-hearted beforehand so I don't get ef'd out, was gonna check out Oretsuba's adaption.

Ahhh, right I knew I forgot something. I saw Death Billiards several weeks ago and loved it, had to show it to my animu-lovin' pals.

Kino no Tabi 08-END

Motherlovin' five stars yo. I have lowed every second of this journey even
right down to the gut punch at the end and Kino sees that country turned to ash and realizes the little girl knew she was going to die the entire time even when she says she doesn't want to be a travelers. Oh that broke my heart and it was great they showed Kino's reactions as well to show that "Hey some shit even gets to Kino as well."
What a great series. So glad I decided to finish it.

Kino no Tabi 08-END

Motherlovin' five stars yo. I have lowed every second of this journey even
right down to the gut punch at the end and Kino sees that country turned to ash and realizes the little girl knew she was going to die the entire time even when she says she doesn't want to be a travelers. Oh that broke my heart and it was great they showed Kino's reactions as well to show that "Hey some shit even gets to Kino as well."
What a great series. So glad I decided to finish it.

Now get on watching the OVAs. Holy shit they're good. Well, I loved Life Goes On and Byouki no Kuni, any way. Tou no Kuni was just alright.

Narag

Kick-Heart

Figured I'd eventually start working through Yuasa's stuff after Ping Pong

That said, I'll need to give this some thought and a rewatch down the line. Basically left feeling everything about the minimal plot was conveyed well but Yuasa seemed so unrestrained and I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. :lol

It's a weird piece that I probably would have saw on Liquid Television back in the day if this was made in the 90s, I guess.

Haikyuu!! Episode 15 - Revival

Second OP and Second ED will probably be the weakest parts of the series, neither song are exciting. Visuals are alright though.

Great episode spending much time on the prematch character interactions and such. Imaizumi Oikawa and some Kindachi stuff was awesome. I loved how Oikawa was during the match, looking pretty bored, but then when the combo came up he was all in front excited like.

Nishinoya and Tanaka are too hype though, that one moment made me laugh quite a bit.

And the lets go lets go dateko.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aria 02

Heh. That's just like me 2 1/2 weeks ago.

There's a scene that reminded me of one in Chobits, just with splish, splash instead of pantsu, Himeya seems like a big company and then a small rebellion, a little rivalry and lots of ara ara.

Really liking the mood, the soundtrack and the funny reaction faces.
You woke up to a flooded house? lol

Also, I noticed that Aria The Origination is now behind a paywall on youtube now. Seems like Starz is starting to charge for access to some shows?

Narag

I would like to see Tachikawa direct something original on his own one day. Maybe such a concept would even work for noitaminA. I'm holding out hope because Kotomi Deai was the assistant director for Kids on the Slope and later Silver Spoon S1, and then she got promoted to full director for Silver Spoon S2. One day after Terror in Resonance, Tachikawa might be able to direct a noitaminA series too!

I think I'd like that after glancing at a list of specific episodes he's worked on. Poor guy always stuck trying to polish a turd.

Narag

Stardust Crusaders hasn't been very good though.

It's like early adopting a console. Always a bunch of junk to start before the real goods come. Paying for possibility and all that.

Don't get me wrong though as I can totally see where you're coming from and agree to an extent, it's just the care that's been put in so far has me excited for the back half of things as I was afraid it'd be motion comic shit yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom