• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

BearPawB

Banned
Persona 4: The Golden Episode 1:

Found it super disappointing/rushed. There is a good anime trapped in the Persona games. But man do they struggle getting that out.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Haikyuu!! 15

Inter-high time! It'll be interesting to see how the pacing handles the tournament, it seems like it's always the make or break point for sports shows. The new OP and ED aren't very good. The first ED was so much better.
Really liked the ep. Just character interaction and faces are almost enough every week.

Frog-fu

Banned
Yea, this season is washing the shittaste that was Spring out of the palette.

Sure did. Last season I watched Knights of Sidonia (was OK) and dropped
Black Bullet (felt really meh and couldn't hold my attention)
Captain Earth (just didn't interest me much outside of nice animation)
Mahouka (weird ass twincest vibes made this a no go)

and a few others I dropped immediately after the first episode. The summer season is easily far superior with just half of the shows I'm watching now.

Of course I'm still watching Jojo but shouldn't surprise anyone.

You should add Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun to your list its worth your time trust me.

I'll keep that in mind for later. I'm still watching some other stuff on top of this season's but I've added your suggestion to my To Watch list. Much obliged.

Hugstable

Banned
I haven't fallen asleep for some reason at all, so screw it I'm about to try and finish off what I can of Fate/Zero. I'm on Season 2 Episode 8.

Kill la Kill 02

vTCs9rm.jpg

Quite weird family.

And weird society, weird clubs, weird teacher... Weird all around really. That Senketsu sure needs a lot of blood too.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Winter 2014 had:

Silver Spoon S2
Hajime no Ippo
Noragami
Gundam Build Fighters
Log Horizon
D-Frag

That's actually pretty good for a Winter season.
You didn't even list the true heroes: Pupipo and Robot Girls Z.

Girls und Panzer Kore ga Hontou no Anzio-sen Desu!

This was awesome. The 1v1 duel was great, and I just all around loved the Anzio girls' personalities.

Now onto Girls und Panzer - 08.

Edit: Err...whoops. The post credits of the OVA spoiled the outcome of the next match, lolololol. Oh well. It was funny.

Gyo: Tokyo Fish Attack

What the hell were they thinking? This was really fucking bad save for the animation. Also incredibly tasteless (read: sexist) at times.

Edit: The director of this did Magical Sisters Yoyo & Nene? Welp, there goes my interest in that. The writer also worked on Fate/Zero, now I know the questionable depiction of women in that isn't all on Urobuchi or Ei Aoki.

BluWacky

Gyo

What the hell were they thinking? This was really fucking bad save for the animation. Also incredibly tasteless (read: sexist) at times.

The OVA is an odd adaptation of the manga, with character traits swapped around (Tadashi and Kaori are essentially fulfilling each other's roles in the OVA) and many others added or changed. I'm not a big fan of the manga either - I much prefer Uzumaki out of Junji Ito's longer works - but the OVA is a bit of a botch job in many ways.

The OVA is an odd adaptation of the manga, with character traits swapped around (Tadashi and Kaori are essentially fulfilling each other's roles in the OVA) and many others added or changed. I'm not a big fan of the manga either - I much prefer Uzumaki out of Junji Ito's longer works - but the OVA is a bit of a botch job in many ways.
I read up on the manga. It's like they made Kaori the lead to make it less sexist but
then there was that tentacle scene and the obligatory shower scene.

Hugstable

Banned
Oh, we're hoping for sequels? Awesome.

FMP S3
Black Lagoon S3
Baccano! S2
Seirei no Morobito S2
Chihayafuru S3

Baccano! S2 would be by far the greatest thing ever. The story still had places to go since at the beginning of the first episode of Baccano we are given a look at the character having already been friends and discussed being
Immortals.
We don't see much of the story throughout the rest of the anime that deals with these future bits as the story covers 2 main events, the Flying Pussyfoot and the
stopping of Szilard Quates and the immortal mafia
There are just so many little side plots happening with many that never actually get resolved, and it makes me want that second season any more.

Girls und Panzer - 08

Oh noes, the big secret is out. Also warfare against Russians in a snowy environment? Nawww, couldn't possibly be that obvious, lololol.

And it seems the post credits of the Anzio OVA actually spoiled the finals. Ohhh well. Derp.

Chariot

Baccano! S2 would be by far the greatest thing ever. The story still had places to go since at the beginning of the first episode of Baccano we are given a look at the character having already been friends and discussed being
Immortals.
We don't see much of the story throughout the rest of the anime that deals with these future bits as the story covers 2 main events, the Flying Pussyfoot and the
There are just so many little side plots happening with many that never actually get resolved, and it makes me want that second season any more.
Yeah.
There are even bigger plots that are important, like
Huey, who is part of the Immortals, but whose plot seems disconnected from the other immortals. Also there was this woman with the spear in episode 1 that never appeared and the most important: more of Claire and Chane <3

Frog-fu

Banned
Immortals.

Would love a second season for Baccano! though I personally think Durarara!! is superior. Love both to bits though.

fertygo

Haikyuu - 15

Character interaction are so good in this show, even random scrub that just showed up can be likeable.

Btw not gonna lie I'm interested with female club sub-plot.
Both you and Wonzo like that. Is there more to it than fanservice and :SDBurton?

Just watch Pupipo between those two.

duckroll

Both you and Wonzo like that. Is there more to it than fanservice and :SDBurton?

Not really. It's entirely a fanservice show. And by fanservice here, I mean that the entire show is basically meant for people who already know what the parodies are about. It's basically a short gag series based on the premise of "what if we took all the Go Nagai classic robots and turned them into a series of cute girls doing cute things comedy skits while throwing tons of homages and throw backs in the gags, and having some panties here and there". That's literally what it is. Fwiw some of it was fairly funny!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Not really. It's entirely a fanservice show. And by fanservice here, I mean that the entire show is basically meant for people who already know what the parodies are about. It's basically a short gag series based on the premise of "what if we took all the Go Nagai classic robots and turned them into a series of cute girls doing cute things comedy skits while throwing tons of homages and throw backs in the gags, and having some panties here and there". That's literally what it is. Fwiw some of it was fairly funny!

Also what if they were lesbians for some reason.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I'll give it a go and see. I'm not into super horror violence or anything, so if it's a bit censored that's probably fine for me. If it's egregiously censored, then... :/

Yea, more the latter, I mean there was scene of the MC
eating human flesh that was completely blacked out and it ruined everything.

Hugstable

Banned
Yeah.
There are even bigger plots that are important, like
Huey, who is part of the Immortals, but whose plot seems disconnected from the other immortals. Also there was this woman with the spear in episode 1 that never appeared and the most important: more of Claire and Chane <3

That women with the spear portion was exactly what I was referring to as we never get to see beyond the part where everyone including the mafia and Issac/Miria. Huey was a strange character indeed, we aren't really seen much of what his true motives were I believe. I don't remember I need to watch again. And Claire really is the best, I really like Claire's roll in the anime, as little as it may be. I like the whole scene where she is scaling the train and she freaks out when she sees the rail tracer. Chane was also a great character with a good backstory that was also shrouded in mystery due to being a Homunculi of Huey's.
I always keep hope that someday we might get a good Baccano! continuation that doesn't ruin what was already set up in the original. I also went on to watch Durarara earlier this year after I found out the story was by the same guy, but the Anime just didn't live up to Baccano for me. I liked alot of what they built up, but at one point they just had too many plotlines running, and many ended up being forgotten about, never touched on again, or pushed to the side until way later. Still a decent show, but damn just hearing Baccano! makes me crave it again haha.

Would love a second season for Baccano! though I personally think Durarara!! is superior. Love both to bits though.

I do like Durarara! for how ambitious to tries to be with so many of the interconnecting lives and storylines, and I really enjoyed the character interaction between Shizou and Izaya, as well as Dota-chin haha. I just wish they tried to resolve more of the plotlines or given the show more episodes to truly tie everything together. I really really enjoy the first half alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom