• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Aldnoah Zero 2

I don't get it. What did Idaho's GO STOP GO thing even accomplish? Were they simply accelerating too quickly to make a turn? Was it a feint to get Commodore Bowlcut's mech to accidentally overtake the vehicle so that he couldn't grab it? How does that even make sense that
Bowlcut's mech would safely pass through the vehicle in light of the fact that Ida-bro got vaporized on contact with it instead of passing through it himself? Is there even any consistency in how the function Light of Aldnoah is depicted? Sometimes it passes through solid objects, sometimes it dematerializes them. And, furthermore, why is a mech capable of passing through matter foiled by an underground tunnel? I mean, we just saw it WALKING THROUGH A SKYSCRAPER not a minute prior, and suddenly, the van's in the tunnel and Bowlcut is ruing that the Mystery Machine has slipped through his fingers. Everything from SAVE THE CUTE GIRL AND HER DENIM CUTOFFS onward left me :kayos as hell.
I hope to god that we get some better antagonists at some point because with all of these cartoonish genocidal aristocrats, it's like mankind is fighting an army comprised completely of clones of the bad guy from NTHT.

If the OP footage is accurate and Princess Midriff's lady-in-waiting isn't lying, Urobuchi is a coward.
What was the whole point of the scene where the princess steps out of the limo moments before being incinerated, then, other than being a red herring? I thought it was a poignant little callback to her innocent anticipation of seeing the blue sky of Earth. She's resigned to being moments away from death, and her final thought is to fulfill her desire. And now it's none of that? Just her double desperately trying to escape?
While watching the first episode, it was obvious how it was going to play out, but it still worked as a succinct statement that the show was not going to pull punches. Backpedaling on that reduces my ability to be immersed in the narrative because I'll be more wary of accepting important events in the plot at face value.

Aldnoah Zero 2

I don't get it. What did Idaho's GO STOP GO thing even accomplish?

They explained it. They had too much weight so they slowed down to let the enemy dematerialize part of the mech that was attached to the vehicle so they can move at a higher speed. Also, they all saw how earlier that thing de-materialized the mech on the first encounter.

Mature

Lupin III vs. Detective Conan: The Movie
iLWafgFovW2Kd.png

I have so much to say about this, I think I'll wait and do a proper write up and see if I can get people to seek it out. So much fun.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Aldnoah Zero 2

I don't get it. What did Idaho's GO STOP GO thing even accomplish? Were they simply accelerating too quickly to make a turn?
It was to stop long enough for the mech they were dragging along to be partially eaten up by what they were being chased by so less of it was dragging on the ground. There are some conceptual problems to this as well because Idaho shouldn't know what the enemy mech's power really is...or have a vantage point to call the appropriate stop/go.

Midonin

Gundam Build Fighters 20-22

The conclusion of the Aila arc was enjoyable. She was never a bad person, and now that she's undeniably in Sei and Reiji's circle of friends, her future can only become brighter.
And the battle of Julian and Tatsuya was just as exciting. The show's been foreshadowing the battle of Tatsuya and Sei ever since the beginning, and to have it so close, is kinda exciting. Though I'm curious what exactly the show can do for a second season. This tournament provided a pretty solid backing, but it's a World Tournament. How much bigger can you go than the World?

Blusby

Akame ga Kill! 02: Enjoyed this episode, I'm glad that the pacing isn't too quick though they did pretty much cut out the whole second half of chapter 2, which had a skirmish. I have one real gripe with this episode though, the
Ogre fight looked pretty mediocre, I hope they do a better job with the upcoming fights though I did really like the crazy face stills.
I can't wait for next week's offering, it's Mein-time!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
They explained it. They had too much weight so they slowed down to let the enemy dematerialize part of the mech that was attached to the vehicle so they can move at a higher speed. Also, they all saw how earlier that thing de-materialized the mech on the first encounter.

It was to stop long enough for the mech they were dragging along to be partially eaten up by what they were being chased by so less of it was dragging on the ground. There are some conceptual problems to this as well because Idaho shouldn't know what the enemy mech's power really is...or have a vantage point to call the appropriate stop/go.

I see, thanks.

I suppose my problem with how the scene is constructed is that the Light of Aldnoah looks the same whether it's passing through an object or destroying it. We only get a brief glimpse of the moment that Bowlcut's mech makes contact with Idahoneesan's mech, and you really can't infer from the perspective whether the mech is being destroyed or overtaken:

0FNdq70l.jpg

And after that, the fact that the mech's legs are now gone is only visible in an equally-brief scene thanks to the really bizarre choice to depict the ensuing moments following contact between the two mechs from an upside-down perspective. You only see it as they're rounding the corner:

rJSK882l.jpg

now, addressing dimb specifically, I can't assume with certainty that Idaho wouldn't understand how the Light of Aldnoah functions given that it may have been widely observed during Heaven's Fall. His sister is in the military, enlistment is now mandatory in Japan upon graduation, and every aspect of youth education is likely saturated with information on the Vers invasion because it has fundamentally altered every aspect of human life. Even if not, if we as viewers can infer how it works without direct explanation (I can't believe I'm even able to say this in a conversation on an Urobuchi show), I would assume that actual people witnessing the technology in the flesh would more or less also be able to do the same in a short amount of time.

At the very least, Idaho was stupid to call for a hard brake rather than to temporarily decelerate because bringing the vehicle to a complete stop requires more time to re-accelerate. I can't wait to see how he becomes mankind's savior piloting a mech when he probably wouldn't pass Driver's Ed.

Midonin

Nozaki 02

So one new guy added to the cast, and one new girl. And she's a Miyukichi character, for everyone in this thread who's a fan of that sort of thing. Humor in anime is a tricky thing to get across the seas, but in general, American audiences respond well to anime that are more "American-like" in their humor. Though some Japanese elements are still in here, for example, Mikorin is as much a male version of gap moe as you could get. That he could be successfully transformed into a female character says enough, really. Seo has her own gap thing going on. The meta-manga humor continues to amuse me.

Akame ga Kill - E02

The mood whiplashes and cheapest kind of humor aren't my thing.

The first 20s seem to sum up this show quite well:

MC mourns his two dead friends near some makeshift memorials, thinking back about their pledge and start of the adventure.

-> Cue "lol boobs" humor

Girls und Panzer: Kore ga Hontou no Anzio-sen Desu!

Girls und Panzer will always have place in my heart as the anime that got me interested in anime. With the newly aired OVA we get to see the battle missed during the series. While we knew what the outcome of the battle would be it didn't make it any less entertaining. The tank battles were amazing to watch and the strategy and tactics displayed is on par with the series.

Anzio's team was great and they all had interesting names. Anchovy was a great character for the limited time we get to see her. With the Girls und Panzer movie announced I really hope to see more of her.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sabagebu! Episode 2:

Good to see that the Love Lab team is not only still getting work but also proving that Love Lab was not fluke. As other have said, this is the show C3-Bu: The Line should have been, but I am fine with us getting this show now since last summer we got Love Lab.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sabagebu! Episode 2:

Good to see that the Love Lab team is not only still getting work but also proving that Love Lab was not fluke. As other have said, this is the show C3-Bu: The Line should have been, but I am fine with us getting this show now since last summer we got Love Lab.
Why would Love Lab be seen as a fluke when it's from the same director as Mitsudomoe and YuruYuri?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
now, addressing dimb specifically, I can't assume with certainty that Idaho wouldn't understand how the Light of Aldnoah functions given that it may have been widely observed during Heaven's Fall. His sister is in the military, enlistment is now mandatory in Japan upon graduation, and every aspect of youth education is likely saturated with information on the Vers invasion because it has fundamentally altered every aspect of human life. Even if not, if we as viewers can infer how it works without direct explanation (I can't believe I'm even able to say this in a conversation on an Urobuchi show), I would assume that actual people witnessing the technology in the flesh would more or less also be able to do the same in a short amount of time.
It's not inconceivable that Idaho would have an understanding of how the Light of Aldnoah works, but how much has he really seen of it? He's been inside an armored vehicle and only saw a tiny one on one skirmish that lasted for all of a few seconds. Even within that time there was flying debris (also, literally why?) that wouldn't lend itself to concrete inferences about the abilities of the Martian mech. Idaho is making huge logical leaps and taking an unreasonable gamble by braking completely. What if the Light of Aldnoah can be turned on and off? What if it only works on specific parts of the body like the hands of the mech? Why is a mech with its knuckles nearly dragging along the ground seemingly unable to reach its feet?

Akame Ga Kill 2

This episode made this show rise in the ranks for me. Really enjoyed it a lot even though I thought episode 1 was meh. Liking the characters more already.

Precure All Stars New Stage 3: Precure Return to Dreamland

2149806bdf.jpg
baf63444a1.jpg

For a little girl, she sounds so fucking OLD. Good lord, miscast much?

And that will probably be the only group picture I post
because it's the only one that has Honey in it
. So yeah, all about Cure Dreams and Cure Dreams Accessories. It did make Nozomi look pretty boss because it showed she was the first one to realize that this was a load of shit. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

The story is about a son who was lonely, so his crazy mother decided to kidnap children and trap them in Dreamland to please him. A bit like the Pied Piper, but using bears to threaten them into staying.

So I finally get context to how Megumi was saved.
Mana was literally Goku, riding the Nimbus cloud. Jesus
. That being said, Megumi is in fact, dumb. The movie re-enforces that.

While the villains are finally something that looks tangible, we... probably could've done a bit better than stuffed bears. Animation wise, I think... we should not use the stock footage, if only because the art style differences are pretty jarring, and of course there's some QUALITY going on here
Poor Bunbee is only in QUALITY
. And of course, there's CG, mostly prominent in the final showdown. We get it Toei, you want Precure to be CG.

That doesn't mean there's no cool 2D action, because there totally is. But that's to be expected right.

Plotwise, we close the chapter on the overall New Stage Trilogy, and gave us a showcase of everyone's dreams, as well as how awesome they are. In Echo's case
I really wish she wasn't just.... waiting until like the last 10 minutes, to be a giant plot device. Should've had more involvement. In fact, Honey should've as well.

Anywho, doing a bit of a breakdown

Pros: All that Megumi and Hime action
Erika doing her Erika things
Nozomi being awesome
Moonlight and Ace being better at handswords than Sword. Eat your heart out
Another example of Black and White's ridiculous strength
THAT CALL BACK! Saki's dream is strong
Hi Waon!
Worthwhile 2D animation where it counts
Splash Stars getting voices

Cons

Random bouts of QUALITY, although nowhere near as bad as HapCha 10
Echo's low involvement
Honey's low involvement
THAT OLD VOICE FOR THE GIRL
Jarring artstyle transitions between stock footage (retroactively stapling that to older movies), granted, I'm glad they at least bothered to make a uniformed art style, which is more than what I could say about Playstation Allstars
Given the interactions between Yes! 5's and Smiles, not giving Reika or Akane a voice makes it rather jarring in the big showdown.

My personal verdict: Well I think this finally broke the trend of every other All Stars movie being terrible despite some issues I mentioned. Although it is pretty clear that we pretty much have too many Precures, which makes me wonder how this will be handled in the future.

While doing Previous Team+New Team would be possible (and kind of here already), given that new Cures join during the season, it would pretty much be unfair for them to get one chance to be voiced in an All Stars movie. In fact... Cure Muse is a testament to that because she only had one opportunity to be voiced in any of the All Stars films.

Oh well.
I pray for Honey and Fortune's future in All Stars movies.

JoeFu

Banned
Nozaki-kun is hilarious.

Glad this and Sabagebu! are stuff to watch this season.

Two different types of comedies. Sundays will be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom