• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

I am forced by K-ON GAF to watch Hidamari sketch. And by forced I mean MikeHattsu crashed through my window wielding a double chainsaw-grenadelauncher, screaming: "WA-HA-HA! YUNOCHI!".

Hidamari Sketch 01

I love it when a show almost immediately yells that it made by SHAFT. Really, I love the random artsyness of SHAFT shows (which is partly why I always capslock the name). The Opening actually disturbed me, since I have Black and Yellow Sketch in my playlist. The Opening just don't work without Wiz Khalifa :/
I enjoyed the characters, it was nice that they just threw us in with everyone. Miya is very cute, no wonder the most gifs and pictures are about her. Hiro is very nice, too. Not feeling Sae tho, she tries too hard to be intelligent.

I am forced by K-ON GAF to watch Hidamari sketch. And by forced I mean MikeHattsu crashed through my window wielding a double chainsaw-grenadelauncher, screaming: "WA-HA-HA! YUNOCHI!".

Hidamari Sketch 01

I love it when a show almost immediately yells that it made by SHAFT. Really, I love the random artsyness of SHAFT shows (which is partly why I always capslock the name). The Opening actually disturbed me, since I have Black and Yellow Sketch in my playlist. The Opening just don't work without Wiz Khalifa :/
I enjoyed the characters, it was nice that they just threw us in with everyone. Miya is very cute, no wonder the most gifs and pictures are about her. Hiro is very nice, too. Not feeling Sae tho, she tries too hard to be intelligent.
That's because Sae never stops being the least Hidamari.

I say least because there are no bad or worst Hidamari girls.

Hidamari Sketch 01

Miyako is an incarnation of Buddha. I have extensive proof of this. I worship her and she brings me peace.

Enjoy!

GfnmP.png

NeonZ

My personal verdict: Well I think this finally broke the trend of every other All Stars movie being terrible despite some issues I mentioned. Although it is pretty clear that we pretty much have too many Precures, which makes me wonder how this will be handled in the future.

They really shouldn't have had all these movie-only non-antagonist characters in the New Stage trilogy. They still had enough space to handle the various Cures if it weren't for the need each movie had to focus on a new character introduced and developed exclusively in the movie itself.

I really hope they continue the All Star team ups, but dump the "original movie star" concept, although I guess it might be too late for that starting with the next one, and even stopping with movie originals there might be problem giving focus to the past Cures. Also, I wonder if Happiness Charge's international Cures will get background cameos in the next one?

Link Man

Banned
Akame ga Kill 2

Episode 2, and we already have a swimsuit episode. Interesting pacing, I must say.

Well, I think we might have a Gary Stu on our hands.

And now Akame is stripping him to his skivvies.

Akame ga Kill 2

Episode 2, and we already have a swimsuit episode. Interesting pacing, I must say.

Well, I think we might have a Gary Stu on our hands.

And now Akame is stripping him to his skivvies.
You truly do not understand how impossibly wrong you are. But you'll see.

Chariot

That's because Sae never stops being the least Hidamari.

I say least because there are no bad or worst Hidamari girls.

Miyako is an incarnation of Buddha. I have extensive proof of this. I worship her and she brings me peace.

It's like all of you are avoiding the fact that Yunocchi is the most perfect being in the universe.
My~ I didn't know Hidamari Sketch was so popular.

I can never get enough of these wide faces.

You truly do not understand how impossibly wrong you are. But you'll see.

Since everyone's so adamant about this show having lots of kills and being so grimdark and... it being called Akame ga Kill and doesn't have the MC's name anywhere instead, I guess he'll just get killed off at some point?

Jex

I see, thanks.

[...]

now, addressing dimb specifically, I can't assume with certainty that Idaho wouldn't understand how the Light of Aldnoah functions given that it may have been widely observed during Heaven's Fall. His sister is in the military, enlistment is now mandatory in Japan upon graduation, and every aspect of youth education is likely saturated with information on the Vers invasion because it has fundamentally altered every aspect of human life. Even if not, if we as viewers can infer how it works without direct explanation (I can't believe I'm even able to say this in a conversation on an Urobuchi show), I would assume that actual people witnessing the technology in the flesh would more or less also be able to do the same in a short amount of time.
You'd think all this would be true but the military clearly have no clue that he Vers even have this ability as every single person who encounters it appears befuddled by it.

Since everyone's so adamant about this show having lots of kills and being so grimdark and... it being called Akame ga Kill and doesn't have the MC's name anywhere instead, I guess he'll just get killed off at some point?
I'm not saying that, its simply the people he has killed some far are the smallest of smallest of small fry in context of this story.

jgminto

DRAMAtical Murder 2

Yay, Clear has appeared! He's so precious. I felt like the adaptation was weird this episode. They're hinting at stuff far too early, especially
the one with the Chairman
. Though maybe it doesn't feel like that to those that haven't played the VN. Also since
Ryuuhou appeared, the guy with the magatama, that might mean they're going with Koujaku since that's the only route he appears in iirc. I'd be kinda disappointed if they did because it's not the best route. I would definitely prefer Clear, Noiz and the True good endings over that.

DRAMAtical Murder Episode 2 – Crack

Aoba's lime green/yellow socks is even more distracting, who chose that colour.

His shoes and jacket have the same colour, that's probably why.

I love to pretend to know things and so I left no oppurtunity out to tell people that I knew that Madoka got the characterdesigner of Hidamari Sketch. And those people where all like "the fuck is a Hidamari Sketch?"
Those people should be on your ignore list now.

jman2050

Sabagebu! 1

This show is unbelievably stupid. I love it.

Kind of reminds me of Binbougami Ga where the MC is not-so-secretly a total asshole.

Pooya

You'd think all this would be true but the military clearly have no clue that he Vers even have this ability as every single person who encounters it appears befuddled by it.

terrans know about it but it's hinted that it's top secret info only the 'I've seen shit guy' knows about and not the rest of the scrubs. you probably don't want to tell your army everything we have is useless against the enemy yet, it will just cause chaos. the weird thing is that very few recall 15 years ago. maybe because everybody got wiped out and new soldiers are/were too young to have seen anything. how the war ended exactly is another ?

JoeFu

Banned
Just remembered I bought the season 1 BD of Hidamari Sketch, probably going to watch on my flight to Taiwan on Tuesday.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It's not inconceivable that Idaho would have an understanding of how the Light of Aldnoah works, but how much has he really seen of it? He's been inside an armored vehicle and only saw a tiny one on one skirmish that lasted for all of a few seconds. Even within that time there was flying debris (also, literally why?) that wouldn't lend itself to concrete inferences about the abilities of the Martian mech. Idaho is making huge logical leaps and taking an unreasonable gamble by braking completely. What if the Light of Aldnoah can be turned on and off? What if it only works on specific parts of the body like the hands of the mech? Why is a mech with its knuckles nearly dragging along the ground seemingly unable to reach its feet?

I'm not disagreeing that Idaho is still largely an idiot, just that he behaved in the scene like someone who had a passing, observational, but inexpert and unscientific knowledge of the Light of Aldnoah. Everyone was going to die anyway if Bowlcut caught up with the vehicle, so he formulated the best plan that he could with only a few seconds to spare and limited knowledge.

The thing is, we'll probably only be able to really understand whether the way that Idaho behaved is believable in retrospect because, as of yet, there's no indication in the show of the extent of human knowledge of the Light of Aldnoah. Human awareness of it already feels a bit contradictory to me--the Martian sleeper cell that
Bowlcut slaughters
recognizes the technology, which (presumably) means that it was technology that existed in the 1999 war. In spite of this, every Earth force that engages Bowlcut attacks him with conventional weaponry and is shocked when it is rendered ineffective, as if the entire military is unfamiliar with the existence of the technology. A hypothetical reconciliation of this could be that the Light was developed by the Orbital Knights between the first and second invasions and that the sleeper cell was only sent to Earth after the development of the technology, but it makes little sense that a military detachment with limited access to scientists, raw materials, manufacturing infrastructure, etc. would suddenly make a technological advancement that their parent society could not.

Considering it, I have no idea how humanity managed to survive the first invasion if the Light of Aldnoah was used against them because, even if the portal to Mars was destroyed, the tech is still impervious to conventional weaponry and remnants of the Vers military could have easily destroyed the combined armed forces of Earth rather than retreating to the debris belt. I don't see how humanity survives past the next episode without some of the Orbital Knights going rogue or the good old "we captured one of the enemy's mechs in 1999 and reproduced their technology in secret" plot being sprung on Idaho. :lol

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I realized this inconsistency right after I made my last post and just decided to address it in my next response to dimb. At first I wrote it off as common, lazy "fighter jets jobbing to establish the strength of the enemy" shorthand, but on second consideration, it really doesn't gel with the fact that mankind even exists at all after the first war.

Jarmel

Banned
There are some conceptual problems to this as well because Idaho shouldn't know what the enemy mech's power really is...or have a vantage point to call the appropriate stop/go.

I see, thanks.

I suppose my problem with how the scene is constructed is that the Light of Aldnoah looks the same whether it's passing through an object or destroying it. We only get a brief glimpse of the moment that Bowlcut's mech makes contact with Idahoneesan's mech, and you really can't infer from the perspective whether the mech is being destroyed or overtaken:

0FNdq70l.jpg

And after that, the fact that the mech's legs are now gone is only visible in an equally-brief scene thanks to the really bizarre choice to depict the ensuing moments following contact between the two mechs from an upside-down perspective. You only see it as they're rounding the corner:

rJSK882l.jpg

now, addressing dimb specifically, I can't assume with certainty that Idaho wouldn't understand how the Light of Aldnoah functions given that it may have been widely observed during Heaven's Fall. His sister is in the military, enlistment is now mandatory in Japan upon graduation, and every aspect of youth education is likely saturated with information on the Vers invasion because it has fundamentally altered every aspect of human life. Even if not, if we as viewers can infer how it works without direct explanation (I can't believe I'm even able to say this in a conversation on an Urobuchi show), I would assume that actual people witnessing the technology in the flesh would more or less also be able to do the same in a short amount of time.

At the very least, Idaho was stupid to call for a hard brake rather than to temporarily decelerate because bringing the vehicle to a complete stop requires more time to re-accelerate. I can't wait to see how he becomes mankind's savior piloting a mech when he probably wouldn't pass Driver's Ed.

Inaho looks back outside the window and sees the shield eat up the lightposts.

He makes a guess that whatever the shield is, it's eats up matter. Also the mech doesn't pass through anything, it eats whatever is in its way.

It's time for my yearly rewatch of every episode of Hidamari.

Ah fuck, who'm I kidding. This'll be like the fourth time this year. Sometimes I just need to know that in some reality, the world is an okay place.

And people's faces are impossibly wide in that reality.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Inaho looks back outside the window and sees the shield eat up the lightposts.
How would he see what's behind the mech to know what happened to any objects that passed through it. Also, what is perspective?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom