• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my biggest things about a harem is the winner. And by winner I mean it not being totally and completely obvious that tsundere first girl MC meets is the preferred girl I like harems where I honestly cannot tell if any one girl is going to actually wins the guy's affections. If it is totally obvious that that one certain girl is clearly the only one that even matters, then the rest of the girls are background noise till MC and that girl confess.

Like The World God Only Knows.

On the subject of harem anime, I hate it. I really do. They are all nothing but mindless hijinks between one guy and 5 or more other girls. It starts with nothing and ends with nothing. There's NOTHING good coming from them except for the mindless fanservice they always go on about.

And their story descriptions almost ALWAYS start with: "X was an ordinary boy until event Y happened in his life and now girls surround him".

Harem anime should be more heartfelt. I'd be okay with a guy's circle of friends consisting nothing of women if they were actual characters rather than "waifu war" material. They don't have to be overly angsty or dramatic. Just make them calming and peaceful.

There should be a "Healing Harem" anime.

Oh on the story discussion , you're summarising too much , that's not a harem anime problem , just an anime problem

"Luffy was just a kid untill he almost got eaten by a giant monster"
"Gon was enjoying life in his forest until he met Kite"
"ichigo was a normal student until he met a shinigami"

and you can go on.

The "until" is a story subplot that is supposed to immerse the reader/viewer into the world by making you and the character discover it .It's necessary since you're changing the character POV so you can introduce and explain more stuff

"madoka was just a normal high school student untill she met that magical creature"
and i could go on and on ....

normal character ==> decisive set of event ==> start of the new journey, new experience often the start of the show itself.

Midonin

And their story descriptions almost ALWAYS start with: "X was an ordinary boy until event Y happened in his life and now girls surround him".
If you want to get that reductive, every genre can be reduced to a sentence describing the basic framework of said genre. It's what's in the details and the execution.

For as much as the "cute girls doing cute things" genre is equally a scapegoat, even among the various Kirara series, there's differences with everything. K-ON! and Yuyushiki have different types of humor, and GochiUsa doesn't attempt to evoke feelings in quite the same way as A Channel.

Certain genres get a bad rap that makes it so much harder for them to be "good". Like with that "Worthwhile Anime" image that keeps floating around, while I'm glad that Azumanga gives it some representation, I wonder why it's the only one on there while other genres get multiple representations. I know that the Western fanbase's tastes will never be the same as Japan, but it shouldn't write off whole genres either.

Ryuukan

Date A Live is ok, S2 was ehhhh, S1 ova is A++

Samurai Girls/Bride has an S-tier harem but the mc is so bland and passive, the show suffers

LIST OF GOOD HAREMS:

Date A Live

Samurai Girls

Samurai Bride

END OF LIST

I enjoy DATE A LIVE , i really do ..but even i cannot say it's a good harem.

Samurai girls and samurai bride have convulted stories , almost no character develloppement
Mineakira Did NOTHING in the entirety of S2, useless

It's a bad harem anime.

Midonin

but the mc is so bland and passive, the show suffers
But the character is that way because of the function of the story. Being a generally passive nice guy is (usually) one of the building blocks of the genre, and the attention is supposed to be on the girls. This is not a bad thing.

Chariot

Mhm, if I read the responses. I didn't like Date A Live or TWGOK, I finished the first season of both and decided to not look the sequels. I just find it irritating to watch guys move from one girl to anther. I know bot were basically parodying these things, but I didn't like it at all. My girl Origami had so much to suffer ;___;
Maybe I am just not cut out for Harem. Should stay with my sugarcoated shoujo.
Badass blonde twins and Kurumi make that show amazing, I will fight you
Kurumi was A-ok. In fact most characters were. But that's the problem with harem and girls.

Midonin

Its more story based and doesnt follow the usual formula. But in a way it is kind of still one so maybe its just changing the definition of one.
Or it's a broad definition that can cover all kinds of storytelling. Episodic, serialized, the whole gamut, since the definition is more about the relationships of the characters.

If "harem" stopped having this stigma of "inherently bad" attached to it, fandom discussion would be a lot easier. This is why I try to refer to them as romantic comedies, since at least people don't automatically pass value judgment on that.

Oh on the story discussion , you're summarising too much , that's not a harem anime problem , just an anime problem

"Luffy was just a kid untill he almost got eaten by a giant monster"
"Gon was enjoying life in his forest until he met Kite"
"ichigo was a normal student until he met a shinigami"

and you can go on.

The "until" is a story subplot that is supposed to immerse the reader/viewer into the world by making you and the character discover it .It's necessary since you're changing the character POV so you can introduce and explain more stuff

"madoka was just a normal high school student untill she met that magical creature"
and i could go on and on ....

normal character ==> decisive set of event ==> start of the new journey, new experience often the start of the show itself.

Well to be fair, good story descriptions only give you the bare minimum. Madoka tells you that she has a magical encounter and a new story of magical girls is starting. That's it.

Harem anime plot descriptions always tell you what to expect. Boy gets roped into world where he gets surrounded by girls who want him.

There's just barely any subtlety to them is what I was getting at.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Well that was unexpected.

Watched a bit of the first episode. Its very funny, I like the characters as well. There's nudity though. Its not an ecchi right? I'm okay with it every now and then but if its like TLR then ehhhhhhh

nudity isn't particularly prevalent, it's certainly nothing like TLR

The only good thing to come out of Date A live is Kurumi.

Excuse me?

509phdq.jpg

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V Episode 14
Bsnt1TWCAAAyDs0.png

Entermate Friendonkey was a good one as well as Entermate Spiked Eagle
and it became a phoenix, best moment in the series, best mythological creature ever

Alright duel I suppose the dancing moment with the duel monster's was funny for the comedy bit.

In terms of plot
I hope Sora comes back fast

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Yeah, it's not as good as the manga, and some CG scenes are bad, but in general the Berserk movies takes the core of what it made Berserk great well enough. They have my thumbs up.

So it's cruel to show them, because the end.

No no, all the CG is awful. Just awful. A disgrace.

I dunno. The Berserk movies were unnecessary at best. Part of the problem is, as a stand-alone viewing experience the movies fail to properly portray Griffith's story arc and the many themes behind it. You need build up for that. You need time... and you need to understand his history, motivations, and his ambitions, for his story to come to an impactful and meaningful end. Griffith is a pillar with a chip at the base. I knew nothing about Berserk going in when I watched it for the first time last year. It was marvelous... but you don't get there by condensing such a story to some three or four hours. As a companion piece to the series the movies add nothing, and expands on nothing that the series hadn't already covered. Let me subject myself to several hours of the same exact tale with with less feeling and incredulous pacing. Let's also make it CG, awkwardly animated, and give it an inferior score. Yeah no. But the close-ups of Griffith's beautiful face were super bishounen. So you know my significant other was begging to start the next movie... Jesus, if only I knew back then what I do now...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
He was in over his head though.
You could say that Sekai just couldn't make the cut.

That falls into the old trap of "If they actually acted like young people then it might as well be hentai."
Eh, having just watched an MTV teen show (not to mention shows like Skins), it's really on anime that's afraid of teen sex.

Easier for the audience to identify with.
I don't know if being a horny virgin is better than being an oblivious virgin though.

Because sex isn't everything in a relationship? In a story-driven eroge, the H-scenes rarely take up that much time. They can reaffirm the couples' relationship, but it's not the reason why they're together or even the end goal.
They can have sexual desires - real ones - without it being all about sex. Having a horndog protagonist who wants to peak at girls bathing at the onsen but can't move past holding hands with a girl doesn't really solve anything.

I mean, that robot angel harem show has the guy turn into water so he can grope girls in a swimming pool. He is unrepentantly male with his sexual desire. Yet he has a harem of robot angels that he never once considers having sex with, let alone his hapless childhood friend who is forever alone.

Exactly, why hagure yuusha owns
Googling it, I remember watching a few episodes. I can't remember it really doing anything different in the whole pervert protag genre.

I feel that if the MC is confident enough to keep going ( because that what he is , because he can do it or whatever ) That's much more intresting
The school day MC , was a dark horse that unleashed hell upon us BUT at least he kept goingt untill the endthere was no drama about what he needed to do .
The most horrible thing that can happen to an Harem lead is HESITATION.

He need to guts , the courage to say " i want them BOTH , i want them ALL , DEAL WITH IT" and go with it untill the end. IF a character can't do that he is just a Trash Key-like protagonist that need to die in a fire.
Well, consensual poly-amorous relationships apparently do work (beyond the whole "monogamish" concept that Dan Savage invented), but I don't think I've seen an anime go with the Mormon ending. lol

Outside of School Days, no other lead actually goes for it in that way though. All the others are just empty shirts pretending to be more than they are.

LIST OF GOOD HAREMS:

Date A Live

Samurai Girls

Samurai Bride

END OF LIST
These are harems alright. :p

Quasar

If "harem" stopped having this stigma of "inherently bad" attached to it, fandom discussion would be a lot easier. This is why I try to refer to them as romantic comedies, since at least people don't automatically pass value judgment on that.

Maybe for some. I certainly don't though. But then I like harem shows. Whereas tags like shounen has me passing negative value judgements.

Maybe I am just not cut out for Harem. Should stay with my sugarcoated shoujo.Kurumi was A-ok. In fact most characters were. But that's the problem with harem and girls.
It's a problem with show like date a live that are made only for the characters...
you don't enjoy the show for how good his story is ..

And besides DATE A LIVE was doomed to be on this disapointing route the moment where the girls were just conquests

Well to be fair, good story descriptions only give you the bare minimum. Madoka tells you that she has a magical encounter and a new story of magical girls is starting. That's it.

Harem anime plot descriptions always tell you what to expect. Boy gets roped into world where he gets surrounded by girls who want him.

There's just barely any subtlety to them is what I was getting at.

Not sure i agree on the hidden meaning.
I mean it's harem so by definition girls ( or boys ) are going to surrond the MC , it's part of the setup...The key point should be " why are they surronding the MC ? "
Some anime are better at this than others because you have to sell the premise and a good premise ( or a well executed premise ) can change one perception and enjoyment of a title.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Or it's a broad definition that can cover all kinds of storytelling. Episodic, serialized, the whole gamut, since the definition is more about the relationships of the characters.

That does a disservice to real romcoms though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom