• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuukan

My current favorite in the harem/romcom genre is probably Outbreak Company.

second best show of 2013, good love triangle

6fKLX2a.jpg

Hanayamata 2

Still dont like the eye designs at all...it makes them look like bugs. BUT that was a cute episode.

Hana Fountainstand...I always crack up at that name. I like how she took up free running because she wanted to be a Ninja. Oh God that was 12 year old me :X

firehawk12

Subete no aware
La corda d'oro la blue sky anime didnt feel like one.
They all wanted her. They just weren't together all that much.

And I quite enjoyed Oda Nobunas Ambition (probably the only Oda show I've liked enough to see more than one ep of). Still have the book series on my todo list as it ended prematurely.
Did the books end as well? I just wonder if they say it's all a dream or something.

Does it have no items, Fox only, and Final Destination? :p

All kidding aside, this might be what I was looking for when it comes to the genre looking at the show's plot description. I'll take a look at the first episode and see what it's like.

But what other ones are out there?
Arguably, Seitokai Yakuindomo. Seitokai no Ichizon... Ebiten. Umm... there must be more that I can't think of.

A harem with mecha? Why was I not informed of this sooner.
Believe in Team Germany.

(Until Putin appears)

Jintor

Seitokai isn't a harem so much as it is the MC just happens to be surrounded by girls, really. Wait, is it a requirement of the harem that the MC has to be on the lookout for a relationship? I guess there's a bit of 'huh maybe I'm in love with MC' with multiple characters in Seitokai, but since he doesn't appear to give a damn about relationships at all really and the gags take priority, it all comes out moot.

Shino will win anyway

...damnit, I guess if you can talk about 'winning' it's a harem

mankoto

The hell? Okay next question. What is the biggest harem in anime? I don't even think I could keep track of 4 characters let alone 14.

I think it's Negima considering it's a classroom full from what I hear. Otherwise for convenience sake, I'd say either Infinite Stratos or Maburaho.

Kill la Kill - 16

Back to Kill la Kill to try and finish it this week. A funny "recap" intro with a pretty hefty info-dump to follow. Overall a good change of pace that actually sheds some light on the questions I had earlier in the series.

Arguably, Seitokai Yakuindomo. Seitokai no Ichizon... Ebiten. Umm... there must be more that I can't think of.

I saw a bit of the first one and bailed out.

I heard of the second and third ones, but I haven't looked much into them yet.

Halfway through GJ episode 1 right now. It's pretty cute and relaxing so far.

A harem with mecha? Why was I not informed of this sooner.

I watched one episode of that and bailed out.

According to most people here, I made the right decision.

Narag

Tonari no Seki-kun 12

Inclusion of bureaucracy in this and the mail episode were just the right kind of extra step to sell the humor. He's not just screwing around but totally lost in his little world.

Jarmel

Banned
Majokko Shimai no Yoyo to Nene-
I enjoyed this much more than a number of Ghibli's works. The reason I bring Ghibli up is that the movie heavily reminded me of Ghibli and times and not so much in other segments. Ghibli films are pretty localized in terms of the scope of their narratives and this was much more 'blockbuster' in that saving the world was involved. I'm a pretty big fan of Ufotable after their Type-Moon works so I was curious to see how they handled a very different type of work. I'm not familiar with the manga so I can't say how accurate the movie is to the manga, in terms of characters and tone, but I thought this worked as a fantastic stand-alone movie.
Yea the title is misleading as fuck as the story really focuses on Yoyo and her interactions with
our world
. Honestly I'm fine with this as it doesn't look like the sister was going to bring anything interesting to the table anyway. If I got upset any time a title was misleading, my hair would be falling out. Yoyo is the star of the show and she really carries the movie on her shoulders. She's a vibrant character but I never felt like she overwhelmed the movie. I thought Spiky Hair was obnoxious as fuck early on especially in the middle with the summer festival thing. That said, he turns around and I thought some of the later scenes with him were pretty touching. The thing that surprised me was how well they fleshed out some of the side-characters, who I thought were really minor, in interesting ways that tied into the climax. It felt like a decent roster of characters and while the Magic Kingdom side did seem to be ignored, I'm pretty ambivalent to that.
So the major thing that struck me about the movie was the art direction. It's really colorful in a 'pop' sort of way and the art direction really helped the magic come alive in the film. The film has a really vibrant color palette that utilizes CGI, bravo for whoever thought to use purple for the broomstreaks, in a great way to make the magic distinctive. The movie also does a great job visually of combining the
two worlds
, in that you can see in the night shots how the stars from the Magical Kingdom are replacing
our own
. The cartoony flair overlayed against
the normal world's
more serious/realistic tone, really worked out well. There's also some really good background art, especially in the library and the apartment. I'm a huge fan of the character design work and I especially liked Yoyo's and Ms.Hardass's designs.
http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/d479281fe75bba5867c023d5e7364bb1.webm
Holy fuck at this animation. The camera is really dynamic in the action sequences, there's a lot of motion towards and away from the camera, and they're super well animated on a fluidity level. The animation is everything I would expect from a movie production by Ufotable. So many good smoke effects, in that they swirl, and the splash effects for the magic do wonders. Weirdly enough, the magic is a bit more cartoony than Little Witch Academia in the flair but also less so at the same time. That's because Yoyo to Nene feels like the older idea of magic but the production doesn't feel as 'stretchy' as LWA. I think I saw one bit of clipping with Spiky Kid's hair but the rest was really stellar. Super-hyped to see what they do with Fate/Stay Night. Yoyo's despair face was especially delicious, looking forward to many from Sakura.
The end of the film definitely feels 'blockbuster' but I think the movie does a good job of still keeping that human element present and since it revolves around the side-characters, the movie never felt like it was trying to go for broke with special effects. Felt like a solid story, not exceptional but I'll take what I can get nowadays, with some really amazing visuals. The 'wish climax' was really powerful, despite the potential to be annoyingly cheesy, mainly because it seemed earned in that situation. Excellent watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom