• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mushishi 2 10
So the mountain lord actually used him instead him helping people used by Mushi. I felt this was kind of weaker than the previous season for the most part. Most of the stories didn't feel as serious as many of the first series.

Yeah I know there are plenty of shows that have done well with 12/13 episodes, just me exaggerating. Either way they did do 3 chapters for the second episode and I hope they go at a steady pace for this show. And from people who have read the manga have said the source material is strong. So i hope they do it justice and if they don't I'll just read the manga, but I'll still buy the BD when it comes out.

Man just finished watching the Hedero family bathhouse episode from Gintama. I couldn't breathe from all the laughter especially the scene with Kondo.

What. Infinite Stratos is satire by accident at best. It's just straight-up bad and tries to to somehow not collapsing.

This is exactly what I thought watching Onii-chan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!!. At first I thought: "Man, this is like a parody of anime like OreImo, awesome" but after two episodes I realized: "Shit, this is a parody of anime like OreImo."

Yup.

Infinite stratos is just straight up bad. The harem genre needs to die....there are so so so so so few in the genre that are actually good unfortunately. Though apparently it sells (or some of them do) so its going to stay.

cajunator

Banned
but people here just recommend school days lol

School days is a very calculated recommendation. We dont suggest it lightly. There are responsibilities based on those decisions.

Never seen this gif before, but reminds me of Mashiro from Engaged to the Unidentified.

ibe26fqYoc3EPv.gif

Mashiro is superior. I just liked that gif or Reset when I first saw it.

Kotaku are just trolling us now. And Kotaku is a website with actual reach, too, you think they'd be more responsible.

I honestly dont visit Kotaku very often at all anymore.

Sabagebu ep 2
Mikorin might be the character of the season for a comedy show. She's a two face petty revengeful brutal sadistic main character ever.

She might be as great as Sakura in Binbougami Ga. Sakura was such a lovable bitch.

Chariot

Yup.

Infinite stratos is just straight up bad. The harem genre needs to die....there are so so so so so few in the genre that are actually good unfortunately. Though apparently it sells (or some of them do) so its going to stay.
Yeah, there are better possibilies to have waifus for everyone than to throw them all at the same dense guy. I was filled with bliss after realizing that GBP had so much OTPs.

Yeah, there are better possibilies to have waifus for everyone than to throw them all at the same dense guy. I was filled with bliss after realizing that GBP had so much OTPs.

I don't mind harem show as long as the Guy ( or the girl ) has a legitimate reason for his harem..he has to earn it, the moment this condition fail is where most harem show fail , but some actually manage to do this properly.

Chariot

I don't mind harem show as long as the Guy ( or the girl ) has a legitimate reason for his harem..he has to earn it, the moment this condition fail is where most harem show fail , but some actually manage to do this properly.
I dunno about that. I actually like self aware harem protagonists and I enjoyed some harem shows, but I don't like the concept of harem shows, since they rely on the protagonist to not choose anybody and yet keep the girls hope high. I always feel sorry for most of the girls at the end of such shows.
What good harems could you name? Serious question.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Indeed, but if the cg animation industry were to expand in Japan it could give rise to increasingly creative work in that field as well.
Yeah. I mean, at the moment it still looks like crap for the most part - the Love Live/Precure/Aikatsu CG parts. I guess Black Rock Shooter looked fine though.

Oh I know, but for a release from AOA I expect more for the price I pay. I would've paid more for the blurays if they brought them out or put some postcards in the DVD release or something.
Heh, now they know that people will buy anything from them, they don't have to bother.

"biting satire" lol KLK praising level of lies

Also, idols produce the best anime/manga adaptions. Matsujun stars in the top 3 greatest adaptions ever
I have no idea who any of the idols are, but if I wanted to watch twenty somethings act like teenagers, I'd watch more Disney Channel shows. :p

What. Infinite Stratos is satire by accident at best. It's just straight-up bad and tries to to somehow not collapsing.

This is exactly what I thought watching Onii-chan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!!. At first I thought: "Man, this is like a parody of anime like OreImo, awesome" but after two episodes I realized: "Shit, this is a parody of anime like OreImo."
As I've said many times, all you have to do is compare Infinite Stratos S1 to S2 and you can see what a smart, clever director can do with a shitty script and premise. IS S1 manages to faithfully adapt the light novels while also taking the piss out of the entire premise of the series.

And while I like the dub, I think it pushes the show a bit too far and turns it into camp. IS S1 is just on the razor's edge when it comes to reveling in its own self-awareness.

I dunno about that. I actually like self aware harem protagonists and I enjoyed some harem shows, but I don't like the concept of harem shows, since they rely on the protagonist to not choose anybody and yet keep the girls hope high. I always feel sorry for most of the girls at the end of such shows.

tumblr_llu9gjPcrz1qdz3ppo1_500.gif

Only one I can think of

Ping Pong : 9-11
A fitting end to a series that will probably be end up being my anime of the year. The Peco and Kazuma match in particular will definitely stand out as one of the show's highlights for me.

A Certain Magical Index : 1-3

Picked this series up on a whim but its first 3 episodes haven't made me think that the series will be anything more than a generic battle shounen anime. Down on his luck Protagonist A has fated meeting with Protagonist B and is thrust into a world he never knew existed. And while I don't really have anything against a by the books intro I think Yozakura Quartet and Noragami have conditioned me in the last year to really expect more from the character interactions and world these shows create. As of this point I'm sort of at a loss as to the tangible difference between "Espers" and "Magicians" as we've been treated to two sides of the world's supernatural and there's seemingly not much to differentiate the two. One person shoots lightning and it's just another aspect of school life, another person shoots fire and suddenly I'm to believe that the world is now a completely different place?

And the characters ... well the antagonists are more interesting to me at this point and they've had all of like 3 lines of dialogue outside of battle.

Clov

Heh, now they know that people will buy anything from them, they don't have to bother.

I'd never buy a DVD from Aniplex, honestly. They seem to focus most of their efforts on BDs. It doesn't seem like they care about their DVDs at all.

All that Berserk talk before makes me wonder why we don't have the BDs for the TV series over here yet. I've seen screencaps of the BD version, and it looks fantastic! Media Blasters thankfully no longer has the license, so hopefully Viz or someone else grabs them soon.

CorvoSol

Layzner 4

So they finally left the base after four eps and the bit with Anna looking back at the Layzner was straight out of the ending of the Road Warrior. Convinced it did influence this now, especially since stealing fuel was a big part of the second half.

You know all the words to make me want to start this show right the fuck now.

jbug617

Banned
Oh I know, but for a release from AOA I expect more for the price I pay. I would've paid more for the blurays if they brought them out or put some postcards in the DVD release or something.

The release is really bare bones. I would of accepted it being DVD only if they did something like they did with Magi and Blast of Tempest which had decent packaging for just being DVD only.

Ryuukan

Hagure Yuusha no Aesthetica

Greatest harem mc ever

cajunator

Banned
Is it Kyoani's pride? Is it Kyoani's pride?!

KyoAni's pride doesnt pay the bills though.
Lots of studios ran pride right into unemployment and failure.

The only option is an AnimeGAF website. With popular features such as "Is Hyouka Shit?", "Why Utena is Still the Best Anime", "DTL's Weekly Free! Fan Spotlight", "Duckroll's bones Hype Corner" etc.

Still a better source of opinion than many others.

Hanamayata episode 2

Blondie still freaks me the fuck out with her face.

Timid main girl gives me C3Bu protagonist flashbacks, but it's done better.

Characters are done well so far and I like the pacing. When the characters' faces aren't freaky, it's a very good looking show.

BLondie will never be comfortable to look at but the show is so otherwise gorgeous that its a moot point. This show just brings it with the eye candy and emotion.

Studio 4oC aren't really filled to the brim with talented action animators like, say, BONES, so doing big action scenes with dozens of fighters isn't really their forte. Instead they do a ton of smaller, more interesting stuff like music videos etc. Quite how they ended up with the contract to Berserk is something I don't know.

Studio 4C has always been one of my favorites just for those really quirky animations they always have done that lead to stuff like Mindgame and Tweeny witches, and Animatrix. Theyve always had a really clever and creative approach to animation and I think CG was just another creative tool for them as opposed to any sort of shortcut or laziness.

Ichiban Ushiro no Dai Maō and Hagure Yuusha no Estetica.

Tenchi muyo
At the end of the day tenchi has 3 wives (ryoko, ayeka , noike ) and the rest are concubines
Tenchi muyo war on geminar
What to say , 4 official wives + 2 mistresses ( maybe i counted wrong ? )
Highschool dxd
Again no need to keep the hopes up since the order is set : 2 wives , 1 mistress , rest are concubines

Campione
Disclaimer : the anime adaptation was a real mess, better read the books , but here again , the 4 girls are wives with equal standing , no nonsense of keeping one ahead of the other

"Ichiban Ushiro no Dai Maō" is another good example, however "Hagure Yuusha no Estetica." is NOT

not that Hagure Yuusha no Estetica MC is bad or doesn't earn it , it's just that he will probably choose.

jbug617

Banned
Tenchi muyo
At the end of the day tenchi has 3 wives (ryoko, ayeka , noike ) and the rest are concubines
Highschool dxd
Again no need to keep the hopes up since the order is set : 2 wives , 1 mistress , rest are concubines

Campione
Disclaimer : the anime adaptation was a real mess, better read the books , but here again , the 4 girls are wives with equal standing , no nonsense of keeping one ahead of the other

Who are the 2 wives in High School DxD? Is it
Rias and Asia
?

Ryuukan

Tenchi muyo
Highschool dxd

Campione

Tenchi is pretty awful aside from the movies
DxD has second worst harem mc ever, after maken ki loserbag
Campione was ok

Chariot

As I've said many times, all you have to do is compare Infinite Stratos S1 to S2 and you can see what a smart, clever director can do with a shitty script and premise. IS S1 manages to faithfully adapt the light novels while also taking the piss out of the entire premise of the series.

And while I like the dub, I think it pushes the show a bit too far and turns it into camp. IS S1 is just on the razor's edge when it comes to reveling in its own self-awareness.
Not really feeling the parody there, aside from "Hey, look it's my OTHER tsundere child hood friend."

Only one I can think of
This is a show I never watched and never had a urge to watch, as often as people it may recommend. Something just holds me back there.

Hagure Yuusha no Aesthetica

Greatest harem mc ever
I just looked it up on MAL and the first lines from the first review already had me cracking
After slapping the Demon King's shit around and stealing his daughter, our beloved hero Akatsuki returns from fantasy-land as an overpowered motherfucker. He rides lightning-charged motorcycles, gets bitches, makes em' piss, and crushes others using only his testosterone.
Ok, I'm sold. This is gonna be on my list.

KyoAni's pride doesnt pay the bills though.
Lots of studios ran pride right into unemployment and failure.
True enough. I'm still sad.
Tenchi muyo
Highschool dxd

Campione
Why the hell did I seem to have dodged every single good harem show, but somehow ended up watching Infinite Stratos and Date A Live. Something went wrong with my life.

Firemind

tumblr_llu9gjPcrz1qdz3ppo1_500.gif

Only one I can think of

Can't you just type the name of the show instead of being a smartass and post a one second long GIF? I mean what is that? Golden Boy? Some of us don't have encyclopedic knowledge of everything that encompasses anime, nor have the long term memory of shows that aired in the past century.

Ryuukan

Akatsuki is the harem god

making 3 girls wet themselves simultaneously to punish them

also the queen's blade crossover short ep is amazing

punching sigui in the crotch to seal her powers

Caesnd

I don't know, CG in Japan doesn't look like it's improved at all in the last decade.

I haven't seen the movie, but parts of the trailer for the new Saint Seiya movie looked quite good. I liked how they handled the pan of the camera. Lots of depth motion, which makes things dynamic. Even the character animation was alright at times.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not really feeling the parody there, aside from "Hey, look it's my OTHER tsundere child hood friend."
Defending IS is almost like defending Endless Eight where I kind of don't want to do it. But you look at S2 where all the guy does is fall into the crotches of girls and gets slapped by them while being called a baka and you can see that the first season showed a lot of restraint in the right places (and by the same token, excess in also the right places).

I think if the guy who directed S1 had a chance to direct S2 and got to work with the Putin character, the series would have been sublime in the tension between trying to create something self-aware while also satisfying to the people who buy figures and dakimuras.

Hagure Yuusha no Estetica MC is great because rather than avoid doing lewd things he does the lewd things as he pleases but never goes too far.

Who are the 2 wives in High School DxD? Is it
Rias and Asia
?
Well,

Rias is official and first wife, Asia is second wife , Akeno didn't want third wife and choose to be a mistress "for the thrill" , others are concubines even if they for the most part have told the mc what they wanted

Tenchi is pretty awful aside from the movies
DxD has second worst harem mc ever, after maken ki loserbag
Campione was ok
Tenchi muyo , i'm counting ONLY the ryo-ohki timeline.
As far as i'm concerned , nothing else exist. ( except pretty sammy that was fun )
Dxd MC will earn his keep i assure you, the anime is just too far behind but what you got animated was just a prologue.
At least , for being what he is , he doesn't bullsh*t the girls or keep them in limbo or doesn't suffer for stupid anime tropes or misunderstanding EVERYWHERE like ichika from IS. Issei is very good as a character despite his extreme perversion.

Midonin

What's a "good" harem anyway? lol
This is actually a question I've been wanting to discuss, because certain genres - harem (romantic comedy), slice of life/moe (daily life) and ecchi/fanservice - are often assumed to be inherently bad in discussion, giving them a handicap to overcome that doesn't seem to be imposed on other genres. I wonder if it's a coincidence that all of them involve heavy amounts of female characters.

Which is one of the things that annoys me. The focus in these series is supposed to be on the girls, and that's not a bad thing. But people get preoccupied with the main/male lead, and usually how he's not confident or "badass" enough. Which I find, to be blunt, stupid. To bring up a point of comparison, both my favorite and my least favorite character for examples are played by the same guy.

Acchi Kocchi's Io is a good example of what a character should be like. He's confident and sure, a little dense, but his biggest trait is his kind heart. Hagure Yuusha's Akatsuki is actually the first character in a harem/fantasy anime I can remember actively disliking. That harassment scene at the start of episode 2 - which, by the method of not being an accident was genuinely off-putting - was something that my impression of him never recovered from. He doesn't look like a "badass", he looks like a creep.

I get that people want girls to be stronger characters, but if we're really going to go that route, than more people should be okay with guys being weaker characters as well. Those who help people in anime don't have always have an ulterior motive, and if they do, it can be a flaw used for interesting storytelling. Even if it's an action series, a character should be defined by how they are off the battlefield, not on it.

Mostly I just want the genres I like, and the ones that I feel represent anime to me, should get a little more respect and not have this "guilty until proven innocent" stigma. Something shouldn't be good in spite of being a harem series, it should be good because it's a harem series. Even last season's Gaworare managed to take that familiarity and play with it in an interesting way.

I get why things like sci-fi and action and whatnot have their appeal in the Western fandom, but separating everything that's not those into a sort of second class that has an artificially higher hurdle to clear in order to be considered "good" or "legit good", however subjective those are, isn't exactly fair.

Akatsuki is the harem god

Hagure Yuusha no Estetica MC is great because rather than avoid doing lewd things he does the lewd things as he pleases but never goes too far.
He's actually the one protagonist I really, really dislike.

cajunator

Banned
Indeed, but if the cg animation industry were to expand in Japan it could give rise to increasingly creative work in that field as well.

As more and more CG work is undertaken with well financed projects I think the overall quality of CG animation in Japan will rise as the talent pool improves. however, keeping anime CG distinctive from other CG will be the main challenge. Anime has a "look" that sets it apart.

I just remembered that Cardcaptor Sakura BD releases in three weeks. Woo.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
And I never forgot!

Yup.

I disagree. Harem has its place when its smartly written and funny. Unfortunately thats a rarity but it can happen. Harems are generally good for selling merchandise and making money so they will be around a long time.

I honestly really enjoyed Ai yori aoshi. It was at times a beautiful series. but harem wasnt the real focus and more of a side distraction, as realistically, no girl had a chance other than Aoi herself.

Can't you just type the name of the show instead of being a smartass and post a one second long GIF? I mean what is that? Golden Boy? Some of us don't have encyclopedic knowledge of everything that encompasses anime, nor have the long term memory of shows that aired in the past century.

Honestly that is one of the most iconic shows in anime and very very easy to identify but I do agree people should label shows. In the case of Goldenboy though it kind of identifies itself just by the style and look of Kintaro.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
School Days!
Well, by that token, I would say Cross Days is the best harem VN ever made. lol

But is it possible to have a text that is purely about wishfulfillment be unironically "good"? Like is that simply a measure of the number of perfect waifus at that point?

cajunator

Banned
School Days!

This is hilarious yet true.

This is actually a question I've been wanting to discuss, because certain genres - harem (romantic comedy), slice of life/moe (daily life) and ecchi/fanservice - are often assumed to be inherently bad in discussion, giving them a handicap to overcome that doesn't seem to be imposed on other genres. I wonder if it's a coincidence that all of them involve heavy amounts of female characters.

Which is one of the things that annoys me. The focus in these series is supposed to be on the girls, and that's not a bad thing. But people get preoccupied with the main/male lead, and usually how he's not confident or "badass" enough. Which I find, to be blunt, stupid. To bring up a point of comparison, both my favorite and my least favorite character for examples are played by the same guy.

Acchi Kocchi's Io is a good example of what a character should be like. He's confident and sure, a little dense, but his biggest trait is his kind heart. Hagure Yuusha's Akatsuki is actually the first character in a harem/fantasy anime I can remember actively disliking. That harassment scene at the start of episode 2 - which, by the method of not being an accident was genuinely off-putting - was something that my impression of him never recovered from. He doesn't look like a "badass", he looks like a creep.

I get that people want girls to be stronger characters, but if we're really going to go that route, than more people should be okay with guys being weaker characters as well. Those who help people in anime don't have always have an ulterior motive, and if they do, it can be a flaw used for interesting storytelling. Even if it's an action series, a character should be defined by how they are off the battlefield, not on it.

Mostly I just want the genres I like, and the ones that I feel represent anime to me, should get a little more respect and not have this "guilty until proven innocent" stigma. Something shouldn't be good in spite of being a harem series, it should be good because it's a harem series. Even last season's Gaworare managed to take that familiarity and play with it in an interesting way.

I get why things like sci-fi and action and whatnot have their appeal in the Western fandom, but separating everything that's not those into a sort of second class that has an artificially higher hurdle to clear in order to be considered "good" or "legit good", however subjective those are, isn't exactly fair.

He's actually the one protagonist I really, really dislike.

One of my favorite harem protags is Tomoki from Sora No Otoshimono. While it is still a fanservice filled "trashy" harem show, this one is pretty self aware, and Tomoki is actually a likable lecher as opposed to a dumb chick magnet. He has a fun personality and knows what he wants, but still has a kind heart and cares for people. I love that kind of harem show and protagonist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom