• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Majin Bone 16

Leo gets his battleizer and descends his Majin in the same episode? That's a crazy amount of power ups in one episode, and then he proceeds to show his awesomeness by making the two most powerful characters in the series retreat. This mean he's set up to be the jobber going forward.

Superflat

Looks I just missed the harem discussion.

PHEW!

I finally found some time to sit down and watch ep 2 of Sabagebu.

My rankings so far -

Love:

Nozaki-kun
Aldnoah.Zero
Zankyou no Terror
Yama no Susume 2
Sabagebu!

Like:

Free! 2
Glasslip
HaNaYaMaTa
Locodol
P4G Animation

Okay:

Sailor Moon Crystal
SAO 2

Hmmm:

Rail Wars!
Akame ga Kill

I can't lie to the good people, they may actually up and try it!

In that case just don't read her lines and you're fine.
But she has the second best lines after Saber. I mean she totally offers
to magic herself a penis to show her true love to you if you choose a female MC and admits she's not very strong.

I fully admit that Caster is hard as hell to use though if you haven't played through the game already.

Blusby

But she has the second best lines after Saber. I mean she totally offers
to magic herself a penis to show her true love to you if you choose a female MC and admits she's not very strong.

She's the perfect representation of Type-Moon, showing its properties for what they truly are I'll give you that!

cajunator

Banned
Now that's just completely false. Dude just has no game and all the game at the same time, as well as some emotional roadblocks stemming from an inferiority complex. He'd be open to a straight-up orgy if he got over his own insecurities.

yeah he even sings a song about his tingling nipples. Its on youtube if you wish to look.

Ken akamatsu gave me evangeline kitty Mc dowel and setsuna so i'll forgive him

Well the MC lead of ai yori aoshi goes for it at the end of S1.

But yeah many franchises don't show the deed because this stuff airs on TV.
And i believe that's the only reason why they don't show that

Ai Yori Aoshi was a bit clumsy but it did the two main characters right. The romantic scenes in the show are incredibly sweet and beautiful.

The only harem I'd like to see would involve a guy being friends with 4 or so girls and they all do cute things together. That's it.

No fanservice. No love triangles. No items. Fox only. Final destination.

You just described my life right there ^^

PHEW!

My rankings so far -

Love:

Nozaki-kun
Aldnoah.Zero
Zankyou no Terror
Yama no Susume 2
Sabagebu!

Like:

Free! 2
Glasslip
HaNaYaMaTa
Locodol
P4G Animation

Okay:

Sailor Moon Crystal
SAO 2

Hmmm:

Rail Wars!
Akame ga Kill

Have you seen Barakamon just saying.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Well that was unexpected.

Watched a bit of the first episode. Its very funny, I like the characters as well. There's nudity though. Its not an ecchi right? I'm okay with it every now and then but if its like TLR then ehhhhhhh
Standard Urusei Yatsura disclaimer:

The show doesn't start to come into its own until season 2 when the show format changes from split-episode to standard half-hour episodes 20 something eps in. Before then it can be OK, but afterward the writing gets significantly better. Also expect a very gradual improvement in art over the span of the show.

Ryuuroden

PHEW!

My rankings so far -

Love:

Nozaki-kun
Aldnoah.Zero
Zankyou no Terror
Yama no Susume 2
Sabagebu!

Like:

Free! 2
Glasslip
HaNaYaMaTa
Locodol
P4G Animation

Okay:

Sailor Moon Crystal
SAO 2

Hmmm:

Rail Wars!
Akame ga Kill

I am getting really bad guilty crown vibs from aldnoah so far which is not a good thing. Aldnoah has the same problem gc had with no likable characters, shitty personalities, etc. I really hope it gets better because I want to like it, its just not letting me. GC had me raging at my monitor and I don't want to go thru that again.

Andrew J.

High School DxD is better than most other harem comedies because 1) the male lead actually has some meaningful relationships with other male characters, 2) the girls don't fall completely into stock character archetypes, and 3) the girls are much more sexually aggressive than most female anime characters.

Hunter X Hunter Episode 138

Things are really getting interesting including the Pariston's true motives and the child Alluka. Man though Alluka's abilities are dangerous that lady had to offer her liver to pay the price of someone's deed. But I guess it's an eye for an eye. Can't wait for the next episode.

cajunator

Banned
Sabagebu 01-02

High school anime girls are usually so full of cloying niceness that it's refreshing to get some who are straight-up spiteful jerks. That's part of why I liked Binbougami-ga too, come to think of it.

yeah having a jerk main girl is fun if its done Right like this. They dont have to be angels.

-Hakuouki ( good )
-Staarry sky ( meh )
-Saiunkoku monogatari ( awesome greatly recommanded )
-Ouran Host club ( awesome must watch )
-Haruka naka toki no nakade ( horrible )

For more, ask DTL.

Story of Saiunkoku is reallllllly good. I recommend that one.

I thought his excuse was that he doesn't see the angel robots as humans or something? Either way, he willfully ignores the girls around him that would probably be more than happy to explore his sexual peculiarities with him.

I mean, they even help him crossdress!

I don't really remember that, but if he said it, it's not something he actually believes and is just an excuse he used with Hiyori or something.

Mature

Standard Urusei Yatsura disclaimer:

The show doesn't start to come into its own until season 2 when the show format changes from split-episode to standard half-hour episodes 20 something eps in. Before then it can be OK, but afterward the writing gets significantly better. Also expect a very gradual improvement in art over the span of the show.
I'm in the late 30's and i'm actually noticing this already, albeit only slightly.

Firemind

My favorite girl in harem show is always the childhood friend who will never win. I believe in you Manami.

tumblr_m5cz0sM1cB1r3b9oao1_500.gif

Manami
Rihoko
Kanna
Tina
Asuka

Is there an anime where the childhood friend isn't unbelievably screwed over? Figuratively speaking.

Love Hina doesn't count.

Vylash

Happiness Charge Precure Episode 07

iba196kB1g7d8V.gif
iqUal38ZVqmyU.gif

New team attack! The amount of Hime faces this week were off the charts. Lovely Punching Punch might be the best attack name I've ever heard.

Superflat

Have you seen Barakamon just saying.

It's on my to-watch list, alongside Prysma Illya and a couple other shows. Any show that's not on Crunchyroll takes extra effort. Man I'm lazy lol

I am getting really bad guilty crown vibs from aldnoah so far which is not a good thing. Aldnoah has the same problem gc had with no likable characters, shitty personalities, etc. I really hope it gets better because I want to like it, its just not letting me. GC had me raging at my monitor and I don't want to go thru that again.

I haven't seen Guilty Crown so I can't confirm or deny :U

But as far as characters go, I didn't think there were that many jerks so far. I'm pretty down with the Earthling cast so far, and I'm actually just fine with the way the lead protagonist is. I'm usually bored with typical stoic action hero leads, but he's unresponsive on a eccentric level. Usually those character types are relegated to be wacky side characters but I thought it was neat that someone like him was placed in the forefront.

cajunator

Banned
Lying awake in bed and I suddenly feel a disturbance in the fabric of the universe. Lo and behold, people are bad-mouthing Date A Live.

ijywboyAr6gNu.gif

Kurumi's inclusion alone makes it the greatest harem since the days of the Ottoman Empire, but it was actually one of those incredibly rare shows where I liked all the main girls, albeit to significantly differing degrees. Not going to quote all the above posts, but to cut a long story short - those who have acknowledged the goddess's greatness will be saved at the time of judgment. Everyone else, enjoy your spacequake.

Origami is an acceptable but ultimately false idol.

rankings?

Kurumi Touka Kotori Reine Yoshino Mana Origami

Season two girls not included

so what was the best harem not named love hina?

everything else. Absolutely everything.

I only counted it because of the way it ended

Loooool I know what you mean now. Greatest harem ending of all time.

Ai Yori Aoshi was a bit clumsy but it did the two main characters right. The romantic scenes in the show are incredibly sweet and beautiful.
Problem is that the only thing "meaningfull" ( for a lack of better term ) happenning in the show is about those 2 and aside from 2 eps about tina , the rest is "meaningless"

I think it's Negima considering it's a classroom full from what I hear. Otherwise for convenience sake, I'd say either Infinite Stratos or Maburaho.
Well no.
Negima has a pretty high count 30 student + 1 rival ( yes the rival is part of the harem ) + at least 2 extra and a CULT following in his wake, but

kenchi in isekai seikichi no monogatari ( tenchi muyo war on geminar ) has them all beat WITH a Entire elite school (+1000 students)
I cannot think of a higher number
High School DxD is better than most other harem comedies because 1) the male lead actually has some meaningful relationships with other male characters, 2) the girls don't fall completely into stock character archetypes, and 3) the girls are much more sexually aggressive than most female anime characters.

Listen to this MAN

Manami
Rihoko
Kanna
Tina
Asuka

Is there an anime where the childhood friend isn't unbelievably screwed over? Figuratively speaking.

Love Hina doesn't count.

Hum let me see

-Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate

HERE i found ONE ( don't ask for another )

Quasar

Problem is that the only thing "meaningfull" ( for a lack of better term ) happennig in the show is about those 2 and aside from 2 eps about tina , the rest is "meaningless"

That kind of was my problem, what I thought was a lack of balance between what I consider the main story and the comedy story about their friends.

I still liked the show and the manga though.

Problem is that the only thing "meaningfull" ( for a lack of better term ) happennig in the show is about those 2 and aside from 2 eps about tina , the rest is "meaningless"

Well no.
Negima has a pretty high count 30 student + 1 rival ( yes the rival is part of the harem ) + at least 2 extra and a CULT following in his wake, but

kenchi in isekai seikichi no monogatari ( tenchi muyo war on geminar ) has them all beat WITH a Entire elite school (+1000 students)
I cannot think of a higher number

Listen to this MAN

Can't wait for season 3 of High School DXD, which apparently is coming soon.

-Minsc-

NieA_7 - Ep 1-2

By a stroke of luck today I stumbled across a gem by the name of NieA_7.

From ANN:

In the 21st century, aliens have arrived on Earth and live among humans. In sleepy Enohana, the dirt-poor student Chigasaki Mayuko finds herself living together with NieA, a low-caste ("Under Seven") alien. While Mayuko struggles diligently to make ends meet, NieA seems to be totally unconcerned with the consequences of her actions. As the odd couple throws off the expected sparks, the wrecked alien mothership looms in the background...

Two episodes in and I'm enjoying what I see. It reminds me a bit of Genshiken, minus the Otaku-ness, add in a little sic-fi and aliens. Slice of life through and through.

NieA_7_000.png

NieA_7_001.png

NieA_7_002.png

NieA_7_003.png

Edit:

The lack of CGI busses, the olden days of early 2000's animation (2000 in this case).

NieA_7_004.png

Oh man... there is no way I am going to catch up with 40+ pages. You move too damn quick AnimeGAF!! :p

Less than 2 days and already behind again. LinkMan did you post anymore Clannad impressions? Don't want to miss those.

-Minsc-

Oh man... there is no way I am going to catch up with 40+ pages. You move too damn quick AnimeGAF!! :p

Less than 2 days and already behind again. LinkMan did you post anymore Clannad impressions? Don't want to miss those.

Now that I'm down to checking AnimeGAF every couple months I no longer have that problem. The backlog would be so large any thoughts of catching up quickly fly out the window.

Can't wait for season 3 of High School DXD, which apparently is coming soon.
ZOOM ZOOM IYAAAN

I know nobody will understand this reference unless.....

In what ways is it crazy, does it have to do with the plot.

Well season 3 of teh anime actually starts the "real" stuff , the big rating games, the big fights and you better get ready for some backstory time too.

In short, time to bring the squeletons out of the closet and go CRAZYY, saying anymore would be a waste.

cajunator

Banned

This thread is hauling butt even by my standard of being able to check every couple hours.

Now that I'm down to checking AnimeGAF every couple months I no longer have that problem. The backlog would be so large any thoughts of catching up quickly fly out the window.

I try too but once it hits over 30+ pages to get through I just go ahead and skip to the last page. Been visiting a whole bunch of college buddies and old roommate for last couple of days before starting my new job. My old roommate is also a fan of anime. Right now he's watching Hunter x Hunter. But when I was over we kicked it like the old days. So we ordered a pizza from Pizza Factory and he asked me over the course of an hour what we should watch. Ultimately he was going in between Toradora and Anohana. (He still says to this day that he got me into Baka & Test which is a big fat lie!)

Ultimately he said he wanted to go the "feels" way but not "fucking depressed for few days 'Clannad'" way and chose Anohana. Powered through that in a day. Easily the most enjoyable visit of this extended weekend. :p

Love:

Akame Ga Kill
Terror In Resonance
Jojo Stardust Crusaders
Space Dandy

Like:

Sailor Moon Crystal
Argvollen
Majin Bone
Yu Gi Oh Arc V

Okay:

Aldnoah Zero
Psycho Pass Re Edit

Why am I watching:

Onii Sama
Captain Earth
SAO s2

On hold until it airs uncensored:

Tokyo Ghoul

Still need to watch:

Tokyo ESP

Quasar

Normally I just jump to the last page and read back 3-4 pages till I find something of interest.

Link Man

Banned
So my PC failure last weekend was due to my HDD failing (as an aside, don't buy Seagate). Got a SSD, and I'm already seeing improvement, even with downloads. Hoping that means streaming will be even smoother for me.

Moral of the story: Get a SSD! Easy to install and immediate benefits. Only downside is storage space for the price (I got 250gigs for $130).

Midonin

Yumeria 01-03

Karin Ogino's performance captures the nature of a fangirl well, but she's clearly along for the ride while Mitsuki tells everyone how weird this is. Of course she's a fujioshi, but with all the subtext Sentai has had over the year-

Wrong Yumeria.

tWLCYGJ.png

The brain's recycling bin.

Part of the reason why I got so entrenched in my debate about harems this afternoon was because I knew I was starting one. This falls into the category of "tried to watch a few episodes of it when I was just starting, then forgot to finish it." Now that I'm far more deep into otaku culture, I see exactly where the show is coming from.

Tomokazu's a bit of a pervert, but not nearly as bad as his teacher. (Tetsu Inada as I have never heard him before). I'm largely in it for the quasi-magical girl dreamworld aspect. The transform sequence stock footage doesn't last that long, though it's clear the show's taking shortcuts. The OP is undeniably cutesy, and the color palette is bright and saturated, except for the weird greenish-yellow of the dream world. I knew exactly what I was getting into, and got what I know this genre can deliver.

Tomokazu's misfortune is a little over the top at times, and as far as the girls go, Kuyo and Mizuki are the top contenders for my favorites. And for anyone who had a problem with Chaika's speech patterns, she's still more eloquent than Mone, who can only say Mone. Yet everyone can understand her when she Hodors except for Tomokazu. I'm not sure if she's ever going to speak normally besides her sung lines in the OP/character songs.

IneQLZA.png

Mizuki's studying dates the show.

I won't call it a guilty pleasure because I don't believe in that concept, but it mixes its story elements in a way that I find to my liking. Such a sucker for anything magical girlish.

-Minsc-

This thread is hauling butt even by my standard of being able to check every couple hours.

If only I could go back to the simple days** where I could spend much of my days playing video games, watching anime and reading forum threads on said topics.

On second thought, no.

** Lets just forget how forum user bases have steadily grown each passing year.

cajunator

Banned
So my PC failure last weekend was due to my HDD failing (as an aside, don't buy Seagate). Got a SSD, and I'm already seeing improvement, even with downloads. Going that means streaming will be even smoother for me.

Moral of the story: Get a SSD! Easy to install and immediate benefits. Only downside is storage space for the price (I got 250gigs for $130).

SSDs are godlike. My PC can boot from comlletely off to windows in 8 seconds. Its stupid fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom