• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Uh oh...

Hyouka is so good but is sooooo catered to a very specific taste. I loved it. I hope TUSR agrees.

Yeah. Waiting personally for the ufotable version of F/SN. It's totally fine to not recommend AB to him. It is kind of a hit/miss series with people. The people who hate it, loath it and the people who love it, love the crap out of it. I really think it depends on how you go into the show. It's a pretty fast paced show too. But I love it. May seem irrational but I do.

It's not bad I promise. I just don't think certain things will be as impactful if you watch one before the other. That's my personal opinion. Mike may disagree.

Hyouka is alright. Overrated but I can see its appeal to some. I still say certain parts of it are dull as dishwater and character development does NOT excuse such lazy uneventful writing, but the latter half redeems that anyway.

before i forget:

Z9Jor85.gif

0LeeOBJ.gif

This sort of character always puts a smile on my face.

That was genuine concern. Read the article. They are literally arresting people on suspicion of possible future actions. Also the UK sees 2D and 3D as the same.

This I just do not understand and it kind of really disturbs me, because its basically like Minority Report and impinging directly on the rights and lives of people if it also includes 2d imagery. Fantasy is not reality and many people can make the distinction.

I also don't think a mask would do you much good in the middle of the Question Time audience. I just thought the idea of the QT guests having to discuss 2D art was amusing. But yeah, I don't see many if anyone in this thread really defending the 2D side, but rather they think the law seeing them as equal does a disservice to the victims of actual child abuse.

But basically
2D: Puts you off your tea and biscuits but you can still chuckle and say "Who was the cheeky so and so who drew this?" before bleaching your eyes.
3D: Weep for humanity.

Both bad, but the real stuff can be so so so so so so horrific that comparing it to a silly drawing can be described as demeaning. But yeah, I think that's all that needs to be said. It's a dodgy subject.

I suspected as much, but I just thought I'd clarify that I did put a bit of thought into the comparison.

I hate child abuse more than pretty much anyone. It makes me seethe. Even joking about it puts me on edge. But I still dont equate fictional characters with real life anything. This could spread to anything bad that happens to fictional characters and suddenly anyone indulging in violence or drugs depicted in media may be suspected/charged of "potential" crimes. Its a slippery slope that is really getting out of hand.

Now that I finally have a reason to turn on my Wii U, I added all those people who tried to add me before. Can't wait till Smash comes out to play with you guys!

I cant wait for it either! Just hoping they iron out the netcode issues. Mario Kart seems to work alright but has occasional times where it just disconnects or refuses to connect entirely. but when it works its really great.

mankoto

Re:Hamatora 2
Whatever Art's problem is, it has to be directly related to whatever Moral told him.
As for his Minimum, I knew it.

cajunator

Banned
You of all people not recognizing the adorable destructive devil that is CHEEEEEEEEN pains me! To me, the best thing about Tōhō... except for the Anime Tenchō × Tōhō Project animation work by ufotable we will probably never see a release of.
Not even 'Die Hollen Polizei'? It was requested a lot at the time.
Sadly, at the end there was no '/a/ sings' for it. :-(

Why Branduil didn't take the opportunity here of posting THAT Imperium "Ultra" Class Star Destroyer image? :p

Regarding the touhou character depicted I knew who THAT was but I was talking about the original character (Reset) who I later found out thanks to someone pointing out the source. Im not a fan of Rance games but I liked that character design and in particular that gif when I first found it years ago, but I literally didnt know it was from Rance nor did I realize that was Reset for whatever reason. Im pretty well versed in the cuties of touhou though and can recognize the vast majority of them in fanart.

do we have a gimmick member here that only watches ops and eds and doesn't actually bother watching the shows?

well i mean obviously we don't because gaf isn't big on gimmick members, but still

That would be an odd gimmick but really I dont think the people in here well known for a particular interest (including myself) do so as a "gimmick" but because they genuinely have an intense focus on a particular sort of thing. For example I am referred to by friends in real life as "a happy squee thing" specifically because of my infatuation with all things cute and huggable. Its not just an interest that defines me on Gaf its what I am as an actual person and my philosophy about life.

The CG overlords have won.

I have no idea if this site is SFW so Ill just say it could potentially have NSFW just to be safe, but
http://www.crank-in.net/game_animation/news/31861
according to that Frozen is the top selling bluray in Japan, eclipsing sales of Eva. CG has truly won.

Here's an apparently complete listing of Funimation's October releases: http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?33502-FUNimation-October-2014-Solicitations&p=255648&viewfull=1#post255648

Princess Jellyfish is being added to the SAVE line, only on DVD. Seems that Baka and Test might just have been the first of a trend. Makes me glad that I managed to grab Princess Jellyfish on Blu-Ray before it went out of print.

Same. Picked that up years ago in the pretty artbox. No regrets! Even Fractale's artbox is really pretty. I think I just have a thing for artboxes.

Got this today:

Ordered from Amazon third party seller, and then it came from RightStuf. Was $10 cheaper on Amazon than buying from RightStuf directly. Weird.

Oh neat. I bought that too but I havent even watched Sola yet. It seemed like a pleasant series and it was cheap.

Well that is disappointing. Would have appreciated having a regular edition of Baka and Test season 2 so I could at least have the complete series on Blu-ray.

Although I don't plan on picking up Black Butler, why is season 2 getting Anime Classics before season 1? It's like how Full Metal Panic: TSR is on Anime Classics while the first season and FUMOFFU are not.

I literally justp icked up Baka and Test S2 blurays the other day so Im glad I was able to nab that one since its OOP.
As far as I know Fumoffu doesnt have a bluray version correct? I do have original FMP and TSR.

cajunator

Banned
The Koimonogatari OP is quite good, but it's pretty much the first good Shaft OP since 2010, when Arakawa Under the Bridge S2 and Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru aired.

What exactly determines a good OP for you? I like a whole lot of Shaft OP/EDs (which isnt surprising)

there are a few GAF members that have the BD already. Mine should be here this week, but i doubt they remove the purple lights

I ordered it yesterday but my PC messed up and I ordered two. Luckily rightstuf has REALLY good customer support and I cancelled one immediately.

There's a Blu-ray for FUMOFFU. Don't know how the remastering is.

I dont know how this escaped my knowing, but its time to double dip. Its been a decade lol.

The Yama no Susume S2 OP is super-creative and attractive, thanks to Masashi Ishihama, creator of such classic OPs as Welcome to the NHK's and Kamichu's. Like those, it has clever integration of credits into the visual package, which is something I always enjoy seeing. This is the sort of OP that a Shaft show would have had back in the days when Shaft made good OPs.

Dang, this is really good. It makes me want to get around to watching the first season sooner.

Jex

Sort of list to watch:

Date a Live
Fate/Stay + Fate/Zero
GTO
Haganai
Hyouka
Noragami
AnoHana
Escha & Logy no Atelier: Tasogare no Sora no Renkinjutsushi
Magical Suite Prism Nana
Aikatsu!
Shakugan no Shana
zetsuen no tempest
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
Angel Beats
Clannad
jinrui
from the new world
tsuritama, mushishi s2
non non biyori
steins;gate
chaika
madoka
Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA ILLYA
love live!
ano natsu de matteru
sengoku collection
kokoro connect
recently, my sister is unusual
white album s2
samurai flamenco
love chunbiyo&other delusions
idol master
log horizon

And a few others

I wish my list was this short.

Superflat

Lol, I see it's highly recommended. I'll give it a chance when I get back home. I think the next episode of Prisma Illya S2 airs today anyway, so I might as well watch both.

Granted, every anime I watched with 3-minute episodes were mediocre at best till Yama no Susume, which stood out significantly from the rest with its much improved pacing and charm.

Soma

The Yama no Susume S2 OP is super-creative and attractive, thanks to Masashi Ishihama, creator of such classic OPs as Welcome to the NHK's and Kamichu's. Like those, it has clever integration of credits into the visual package, which is something I always enjoy seeing. This is the sort of OP that a Shaft show would have had back in the days when Shaft made good OPs.

Damn.

That might've just surpassed Nozaki-kun's OP for me (visually at the very least).

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Free! S2 03
This is kind of following the pattern of the first season where a few episodes in the early section of the show were just fun. There are loads of great visual touches that tie long running themes and elements together, but imagery is actually used in this episode to hint at the answers to simple mysteries being set up. I felt like it paid off to be an attentive viewer because there were more jokes and story elements to be uncovered. Like, there's gads more effort put into this dumb episode about funning around in a pool than any other show I've watched this season. The situations being set up here continue to be amusing, and I'm less worried about the dramatic elements being overbearing this season because it's coming from a more genuine and tangible place than someone's dead dad decaying in the ocean.

OceanBlue

Not seen it either. Hope it's good :p

Lol, actually it's pretty forgettable if I remember correctly. It tried to have a dramatic fantasy story, but the execution wasn't very good. I think it counts as a harem too. :D

Granted, every anime I watched with 3-minute episodes were mediocre at best till Yama no Susume, which stood out significantly from the rest with its much improved pacing and charm.

I don't usually give 3-minute-episode anime a chance, so this is my first.

santeesioux

Nobunaga Concerto 1
How many shows have there been about time traveling Nobunagas? Well now you get to experience it in through the wonders of CG and rotoscoping. Maybe I've just become numb to the future, because I didn't mind the visual style. At least it gives something unique to a show that'd otherwise be completely without interest.

So many Nobunaga shows, when will it be Ryuzoji Takanobu's chance to shine?

Mokoi

Banned
Got this today:

Ordered from Amazon third party seller, and then it came from RightStuf. Was $10 cheaper on Amazon than buying from RightStuf directly. Weird.

This show has always been on my to watch list. Never did get around to it. Perhaps I'll start this weekend.

I was lost for a second because I forgot what Frozen was. Also had no idea that the pirates were so popular. I found that movie to be shit.

Final When Marnie Was There trailer.

I'm sure this won't be the last work Ghibli puts out, but I got this weird feeling of finality watching the trailer. I'm sure it's just a combination of their past two films plus this and that Ghibli documentary all releasing in a close time frame though.

At 1:40, may that be the protagonist as old lady? I'm weak against large time skips where people are suddenly at an old age. Thinking about mortality and the like can produce some tears of mine rather quickly.

cajunator

Banned
This show has always been on my to watch list. Never did get around to it. Perhaps I'll start this weekend.

I was lost for a second because I forgot what Frozen was. Also had no idea that the pirates were so popular. I found that movie to be shit.

Ive never seen a Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

Seitokai Yakuindomo is great though!

Eh, the humour in that show just wasn't doing it for me. I wasn't really looking for something super-funny anyway.

just the usual

Huh, so this show's where that picture came from.

I hope you're not being sarcastic. I really did like GJ-bu. My normal anime discussion group didn't like it much.

No sarcasm here. I'm legitimately enjoying it.

Hope you like it more than I did :p

If it keeps up the current style it's going in, I probably will.

Mokoi

Banned
Animu backlogs are no prob. However, them video games backlogs are the devil, and people wonder why I don't have a wishlist. Ain't nobody got the time to play soo many games.

cajunator

Banned
Eh, the humour in that show just wasn't doing it for me. I wasn't really looking for something super-funny anyway.

Huh, so this show's where that picture came from.

No sarcasm here. I'm legitimately enjoying it.

If it keeps up the current style it's going in, I probably will.

Yeeeup. GJBu is a joy of life.
Mori twirls and thus the earth stays happy.

The writer for Kanon? She's actually why I watched the anime as well. It might be better than I remember, so don't take my word for it. It's hard to remember much about it since I saw it 7 years ago.

Yup. That's it. I hoping for the best, but prepared for disappointment.

Midonin

Prisma Illya 2wei 02

Much more action-heavy than the season premiere, but no less heavy on the yuri level. The way the bog from the previous episode came back into play was a good use of foreshadowing. Chiwa Saito's great in pretty much every role she plays, and having her as Kuroe is a real treat. That battle with all its dynamic angles and such was pretty fun, and it's also pleasant to see Kerry and Iri in a situation where things aren't Urobuchi'd to hell. I like the OP for the first season a little better, but this one's not bad.

If metal gear solid had an anime it wouldn't be sexist to always zoom in on the girls ass in sao2 since solid buns snake would have the same done to him on prone position.

Crunchyroll has watermarks?

Edit: Oh it's probably just there for free/guest viewers or something. Also I always end up with unused guest passes. Should start giving those out.

There are watermarks that appear every 10 seconds or so on-and-off for guests and free members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom