• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Persona 4 - The Golden Animation - 2

Japanese voiced Chie almost makes me understand why people like the character. But this is a bizarre comedy show that just skips around everywhere. I'm not really sure what to make of this.

Chariot

Persona 4 - The Golden Animation - 2

Japanese voiced Chie almost makes me understand why people like the character. But this is a bizarre comedy show that just skips around everywhere. I'm not really sure what to make of this.
You should really played the game for that. It essentially just goes through all the scenes that were added in the Golden, without giving much further context. I love how this episodes just skipped a whole months without even mentioning what happened in between and adding people to the cast.

You should really played the game for that. It essentially just goes through all the scenes that were added in the Golden, without giving much further context. I love how this episodes just skipped a whole months without even mentioning what happened in between and adding people to the cast.

I've played the game, both the original and Golden, so I understand what's happening. It just doesn't make this adaptation any less bizarre.

cajunator

Banned
First (?) Episode of Hitsugi no Chaika, she tries to make bread, it explodes everywhere, the scene is designed to look vaguely like bukkake for smutty humour purposes.

I dont remember this scene or thinking it was dirty.

Summer Wars

Finally got around to watching Summer wars it sure was a lot of fun even if the story got a tad silly
Still I really enjoyed the family aspect of the movie probably more so than the stuff set in OZ and the animation/artsyle sure was nice and fluid especially in the OZ world as it definitely looked gorgeous
Now time to finally getting around to watching Wolf Children

Yes Wolf Children is amazing. Adventures of the super mom.

damn it, beaten.

running late for work too getting caught up on the drama too.

damn you, animegaf!!!!

you better have toast!

heh, I knew you guys were pulling my leg.

Anyway, does anyone know of some great anime movies like Summer Wars. Not too serious, funny, just a chill movie.

Well, reactions to my impression of E7 26 went better than I thought last night! Now lets see what's going on toda-

The truth.

E7 26 is definitely the best TV anime episode of all time. Some people know what's up, some just don't.

Well this makes me sad. What exactly was so amazing about that episode?
The Renton and Eureka reunion scene? The Nirvash's not-Seven Swell attack? The fact that Renton could successfully tell Holland off this time?

They were all good moments, and I enjoyed them a lot. It had great animation and the music was good. But I could name like, five different scenes in TTGL that were better than the entirety of Eureka Seven episode 26. To me, anyway.

I'm not saying I didn't like the episode. I was just...underwhelmed by it.

I wonder how is anime for somebody looking for strong female protagonists? I mean sure there are shows but it seems like a grand majority wouldn't have a strong lead. I mean anime probably has more female protagonists than say western media, but so many of them are there for the sake of male viewers.

Chariot

I wonder how is anime for somebody looking for strong female protagonists? I mean sure there are shows but it seems like a grand majority wouldn't have a strong lead. I mean anime probably has more female protagonists than say western media, but so many of them are there for the sake of male viewers.
Yes, its terriyfing. Even characters who are introduced strong and independent often end up as jelly as soon as they discover the glorious penis.

Black Lagoon has remarkably strong female characters in my opinion. They are strong, because there is no place for any weak male or female in Ruanapur and at the same time don't give up that they're female. Revys and Rocks relationship is very subtile and while liking him very much she don't get degraded in her badassery. Hell, even those who are not badass fighters like that Yakuza girl are strong in their determination.

I do love black lagoon and I love its characters but many would argue that those aren't strong female protagonists since for example revy is a badass but she wears the gratuitous outfits. Basically that "strong female protagonists" Web comic. Balalaika maybe though I do love her.

And after they discover the glorious penis lol. #asuna

jgminto

I can't really remember the last anime I watched with a strong female protagonist. Little Witch Academia maybe? I thought Akko was super cool.

Chariot

I do love black lagoon and I love its characters but many would argue that those aren't strong female protagonists since for example revy is a badass but she wears the gratuitous outfits. Balalaika maybe though I do love her.

I don't think her outfit has much to do with it. Mind you, Ruanapur is in the southasian sea, it's pretty hot there and Revy tends to move around a lot while shooting, so I think her clothes are practical. When they travelled to the colder Japan, Revy wear different, less revealing clothes. In contrast to this idiot shows that lets women keep their skimpy clothes even on in the middle of an ice age.

Plus, a woman can wear a skimpy outfit without giving up her own being. It just often makes no sense.

Jintor

Unfortunately almost every character in Black Lagoon is a sociopath in some form or the other so they're not really great role models

When you say 'strong female protagonist' do you mean in attitude or literally in some kind of combative role? I thought Taiga from Toradora and Shizuka from Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, for example, are pretty great female leads (although Shizuka does have a few moments where Haru kinda scares the shit outta her)

of course, they're all one half of a pair (well... I'd say Tonari is more about Shizuka than it is about Haru, at least in terms of viewpoint)

Strong female anime protagonists you say?

Erza from Fairy Tail is super badass.

Not to mention there's also Nanoha.

Ooh, and one can most definitely cannot forget about Noriko from Gunbuster.

I do love black lagoon and I love its characters but many would argue that those aren't strong female protagonists since for example revy is a badass but she wears the gratuitous outfits. Basically that "strong female protagonists" Web comic. Balalaika maybe though I do love her.

I need to rewatch it if only for Balalaika.

Chariot

Unfortunately almost every character in Black Lagoon is a sociopath in some form or the other so they're not really great role models
Yes. But the show does not make any difference between men or women. There are weak men, weak women, badass men, badass women. This is in contrast to a lot of anime where strong woman and girls often get devalued by stronger men and boys or the fact that they are nothing without them and just exists for their happiness.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Wearing sexy outfits is not an automatic disqualification for being a strong female character, Revy's outfits are very much in keeping with her character. Indeed, the way people dress seems to be an important par of Black Lagoon overall.

I don't think her outfit has much to do with it. Mind you, Ruanapur is in the southasian sea, it's pretty hot there and Revy tends to move around a lot while shooting, so I think her clothes are practical. When they travelled to the colder Japan, Revy wear different, less revealing clothes. In contrast to this idiot shows that lets women keep their skimpy clothes even on in the middle of an ice age.

Plus, a woman can wear a skimpy outfit without giving up her own being. It just often makes no sense.
You make a good point. Unfortunately I can't do proper analysis of what traits audiences who want a strong female lead want. My biggest experiences are with stuff like Alien and the Wool novel series. Maybe Beyond Good and Evil. Do they want a character that can stand on her own? Would FMA count since it's done by a female mangaka and indeed has (at least to me) strong female protagonists such as Hawkeye and Armstrong sister?

Are we talking about the short shorts, because I see loads of girls wearing them.

I think Asuka was a pretty great female character though like a lot of characters in Eva she has issues.

I'm going to pretend that Homura is the main character for Madoka and say she is a decent, if not good, lead. At least how I remember her.
Pffffft, Balalaika is a great role model.

Jintor

FMA has a great cast in general really, in terms of diversity and just straight-up being awesome.

Hmmm, what of Ryuko and Satsuki from Kill la Kill? How would they be quantified?

The costumes, man, the costumes. Removing them from the equation, Satsuki has the advantage over Ryuko mainly because Ryuko spends most of the series not really doing anything but yelling defiance while Satsuki is doing al the hard work

After looking at some examples here, so a flat action movie hero from the 80s is the definition of a strong female character?

I like the Hidamari cast. All independent young women who working hard to fulfil their dreams. Though they don't kick asses of bad boys.

After looking at some examples here, so a flat action movie hero from the 80s is the definition of a strong female character?

I like the Hidamari cast. All independent young women who working hard to fulfil their dreams. Though they don't kick asses of bad boys.
In the perfect world of wide, no bad boys need to have their ass kicked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom