• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
10497960_759840080740890_5950388465926648961_o.jpg

Many of you check out the show, yet? I think it's pretty cool so far.

Quasar

So apparently the Crunchyroll Android App doesn't stream in HD?

the fuck is this. lol?

I noticed that with Chromecast, where if I used Chromecast from my iPad it would look much better than if I did from my Nexus.

I'm guessing its a DRM issue, which android not support the DRM that iOS does.

Dead

well not really...yet
I noticed that with Chromecast, where if I used Chromecast from my iPad it would look much better than if I did from my Nexus.

I'm guessing its a DRM issue, which android not support the DRM that iOS does.
I tried out kill la kill, looked like poo. Then I wondered if it was because the device I was playing it on had stupid high resolution and was doing a bad job of scaling it. But then tried it on Netflix and it looked terrific.

kinda shocked its 2014 and the an-fuck-droid app is still in SD

Quasar

I tried out kill la kill, looked like poo. Then I wondered if it was because the device I was playing it on had stupid high resolution and was doing a bad job of scaling it. But then tried it on Netflix and it looked terrific.

Yeah. Well I assume netflix uses their own DRM rather than some off the shelf thing that CR probably uses which doesn't have Android support.

cajunator

Banned

Its 2014 and neither android nor ios are worth much of a shit.

Link Man

Banned
My Cute Little Witch Can't be This Sisterly 2

AKA
Magimoji Rurumo

Well, this just got...huh.

Could be fun, could be monumentally stupid. Only time will tell.

Branduil

Terror in Resonance 2

ieVWAfH0pILnB.jpg

Zero deaths is pretty unbelievable even if they did evacuate the building.

LOL at the police chief's "I need you here" moment with Shibasaki. So cliched but so good. The music was outstanding again in this episode. Top-tier editing too. Looking forward to the cat-and-mouse game starting next episode.

Berserk Golden Age Arc III - Advent

Finally got around to watching this one. Kinda wish I didn't. Not that it was bad or anything, but I really hate "that scene." Though I was happy to see they expanded a little further on the aftermath than the TV series did. Some of the CG was pretty atrocious, though.

Manga is still king, though. Now Miura just needs to finish it.

Berserk Golden Age Arc III - Advent

Finally got around to watching this one. Kinda wish I didn't. Not that it was bad or anything, but I really hate "that scene." Though I was happy to see they expanded a little further on the aftermath than the TV series did. Some of the CG was pretty atrocious, though.

Manga is still king, though. Now Miura just needs to finish it.

to be fair 'that' scene (light rest of manga spoilers)
is as fucked up as it gets

On different note finished Wire season 1 with my bud. Absolutely great. Feel bad show of the year for me lol

Blablurn

Watched all 15 episodes of Haikyuu!! this week. Man, it's pretty good. Didn't expect that. I will definitely continue to watch it. Almost every episode had 1 or 2 scenes which made me actually laugh.

Dresden

ald noah - 2

This really is Independence Day. I just hope Kira is tolerable - or dies - clearing the way for Slaine to do tragic hero things.

I enjoyed DON'T LOSE YOUR WAYYYYYYY as much as anyone in KLK, but it at least fit the cheesy over-the-top nature of that show there. Nuke imagery accompanied by some shitty animu rock making a mockery out of intended tragedy, or UH UH UH UH as some dudes get massacred. It's so bad.

Inko is so dead. RIP. Best girls never live long.

wonzo

Banned
tokyo 9/11 2

the exposition dump was pretty well handled but the notion that there was no-one on the police force that could work out the riddle in time seems really unlikely. but then again so is a buncha terrorist teenagers from something that sounds like that facility in 7 seeds.

whatevs, will for that ballin detective and the utterly perfect op & ed

Vylash

Okay I'm gonna give this a shot but I don't expect much.

I'm looking for something like Allison & Lillia/ The Pilot's Love Song/ The Princess And The Pilot, stuff that have a heavy focus on airplanes + the sea + exploration, is there anything else like that?

Link Man

Banned

I'm looking for something like Allison & Lillia/ The Pilot's Love Song/ The Princess And The Pilot, stuff that have a heavy focus on airplanes + the sea + exploration, is there anything else like that?

Porco Rosso?

Ever watch Last Exile?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The more I think about ald.noah the more I dislike it. Help.

It's a bad show Dresden.
Aldnoah Zero: Pretty bad. Exposition dump and nonsensical background. At least it's pretty to look at, thanks to Shimura's god-tier design work.

Sailor Moon Crystal: Better than I expected. Except for the CG and Luna coming straight out of Precure.

Sword Art Online II: God help me I'm actually looking forward to episode 2.

Had a long post written up but GAF ate it.

TL;DR: Aldnoah sucks.

Quasar

The Invaders 2 - this continues to amuse me somehow. Yes its just an elaborate scheme to enable a unwanted harem, but I'm amused nonetheless. Lets see if it gets as weird as 'If her flag breaks'.

Tokyo ESP 2 - liked it. Makes wonder if its going to be all flashback now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I wouldn't trust a post that says the new Sailor Moon is okay either.

Relative to the rest of the season it's fine. I'm treating it as its own thing, not demanding that it fill the original's shoes.

Hugstable

Banned
So I just made an watch bet with Phoenix as he wanted to get me to watch Girls und Panzar, and I honestly haven't heard anything about it so I didn't know whether it was good or bad. I ended giving him Baccano! an obviously great anime. Did I just screw myself over AnimeGAF? Phoenix I swear if this is bad I got something truly horrible up my sleeve for the next one.

Branduil

It's a bad show Dresden.

He can read my long post instead.

Aldnoah Zero 1

As we all know, Aldnoah Zero is an anime that is being made by A-1 Pictures and directed by Ei Aoki, the director responsible for the animated television series Fate/Zero. The writer for Fate/Zero was Gen Urobuchi. He is also the writer for Aldnoah Zero. This is the reason that a lot of AnimeGAF(the term we affectionately use for ourselves) was excited for this show. Because we liked Fate/Zero. We liked it a lot. The composer for the series is Hiroyuki Sawano. He did the music for Attack on Titan and Kill la Kill. These are popular anime shows. People were not as excited about this. That's because they think his music is not very good.

Aldnoah Zero is a show set in an alternate future where 2001: A Space Odyssey happened. Except with giant robots. Giant robots, also known as mecha, are a popular genre in Japan. Giant robots used to be animated by hand, but now they are done with CGI. We call this duckroll's anime future, referring to an AnimeGAF in-joke about anime turning into CGI. We call it that because duckroll is known for defending the use of CGI in anime. By the way, CGI stands for computer generated imagery. People with robots blew up the moon 15 years ago, because of reasons.

Aldnoah Zero's first episode has a lot in common with the first episode of Fate/Zero. This is because both episodes have a lot of scenes of people talking about obvious information they would already know. This is a well-known writing technique called "As You Know." There is an extensive page on the website TVTropes explaining this. If it's overused it can be a very annoying form of exposition, because it requires characters to speak in unnatural ways, and it's boring. It is commonly thought better to explain things visually than with lots and lots of words. At least Aldnoah Zero's first episode is only half as long as Fate/Zero's.

In the last few minutes of the episode there are lots of explosions and people dying. This is good because it distracts us from the fact that nothing happened in the first three fourths of the episode. It would not even matter if the explosions are good because we are eager for anything to happen at that point. But they are pretty good explosions.

The important themes of Aldnoah Zero are racism and war. We know this because one characters beats up a boy, just because the boy is a different race. Racists are jerks. Why did he beat up that boy.

The racists also decide to blow up the Earth, because some people
blew up their princess.
Wow, that's a bit extreme, isn't it. Racists are jerks.

In conclusion, Aldnoah Zero episode 1 is an episode of anime where people talk about a lot of things. They talk about these things because it's a fictional world where we, the viewer of the anime, don't know what is going on. But it doesn't really seem like they would be talking about these things, realistically. It would be like someone from AnimeGAF explaining very basic things about anime that everybody in this thread already knows. That would be silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom