• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watch it for Miyukichi! I have watched numerous series just for the voice actor
and it's only burnt me once. I should have done a lot more research before buying Angel Sanctuary just to listen to Crispin Freeman.
I'm afraid I'm one of few who will watch shows just for my wife here! It's inevitable, just not now when I'm not watching so many long-running little girls shows.

Finalow

Terror in Resonance 2

I really like the opening and endings of this series.

Now.
Thermite
doesn't work that way! First I feel they would have needed 7-10 times the amount used to destroy a pillar, and second it would have melted the floor, like the blood in Alien, not destroyed the column from the side.
But don't worry people, I'm practically joking at this point :p, not really complaining. It's just a Hollywood level explanation (or even above Hollywood, which had hacking alien ships with a Mac), so whatever.

Where I can't say "whatever" is in the part where they announce they had 0 deaths and 0 heavy injured, after shown images like these, that seems taken from 9/11

I lol'ed in real life. Are they doing it because they still want to represent the MC as somewhat good guys? I dunno.

We also see how the poor girl not only have problems at school but also at home. Mom is kind of crazy.
And the not-serious guy (9? 12? can't remember) is potentially more a psychopath than the other one that seemed more cold and serious, a bit typical twist.

It's very VERY a genre work, like Jexhius said. That said, I'm less happy with it than him.
And usually, I am not like that type of critic that says the word "genre" like an insult, I find that silly. Genre is just a classification for fictional works, it doesn't say anything about quality. But this seem to be veering to second definition of the word, that represent something really derivative and clichéd of that genre.
In this case, we have the mastermind criminals challenging the security forces with internet videos and enigmas containing clues to their next hit, and the already semi-retired (or maybe exiled to an unimportant department because he botched a case or had problems with a superior) super detective returning back to his old department to stop them and save the day. And that leap of logic, lol. "they mentioned the police in the sentence, the bomb is clearly in a police station!".

It's still watchable, the direction, the character design and the animation are nice and elevates the work slightly, but I doubt it's going to be in my top 5 at the end of the year. Hell I would say not even in my top 10 but the level is so low in anime so who knows!
I think it's still very watchable for the reasons you mentioned but yeah, the writing in this episode was bad, I didn't expect the show to be this dumb. a lot of things felt really stupid, even those classic clichés didn't bother me too much but come on.

- the police. I mean
they went for the most abused riddle ever, "answer is clearly human!" even after seeing the video where the riddle was a different one.
that is unbelievably stupid. and why?
If they wanted an excuse to bring back the "super-detective" they could have done the same without the police going full retard but just with them having no idea of what's the answer.
the real riddle itself was pretty good, also the solution wasn't "they mentioned the police - the bomb is there", it was there because
the guy that got challenged by the sphinx (and he also is the answer to their riddle) represented the police, which got challenged by the 2 main characters.

- how they placed the bomb. "heey, I've got some noodles that no one ordered - meanwhile let me place some cams around the police station and drop the bomb in a random room that doesn't even have a fuckin door, k? Thx"

- and yes, don't show a fucking fallout nuclear bomb scene if then you're gonna call it the "miracle with no deaths".

also the first 3 minutes scene of the first episode, very dumb and hard to believe.
saying this now 'cause I rewatched it, the first time I didn't really pay much attention to what was happening 'cause it was pretty late plus that "whatever" feeling. the rest of episode was pretty good though.

Kansoku

- how they placed the bomb. "heey, I've got some noodles that no one ordered - meanwhile let me place some cams around the police station and drop the bomb in a random room that doesn't even have a fuckin door, k? Thx"

Just this one thing: they clearly showed that there were bowls in the cabinet and a microwave. It's obviously a small "kitchen", or at least a "please eat here" area.

Tokyo Ghoul 03

I just found out that this shit is made by studio Pierrot, and I was like "whaaa". I keep forgetting that they are capable of doing decent animation when they are not working on any Shounen "Epics". Ken gets antiquated with his new life on how to pass off as human. Also apparently his new employer is basically running the Bar from Casablanca but for super powered Cannibals, the good ones at least. And we more character introductions, with Stoic blonde guy (Yomo), a Hot Topic Cashier (Uta), and a guy who gets his jacket at the same place the Jojo characters shop (Shuu). We also met the "Imouto" of the series (Hinami). Pretty standard episode meant to build up what would be the overarching plot of the show. Nothing in the way of excitement but the characters don't make me reel into Cringe-ville, despite how stereotypical some of the characters are. Also, some pretty blatant censorship going on. In a series that's centered around cannibals I'm afraid it's only gonna get worse.

Elfen Lied 13

And it's over.

This series contains some pretty fucked up stuff. People getting sliced in half, kids getting shot, molestation (thankfully not shown in as much detail as the other stuff), animal abuse and what have you.

Yet it still manages to be uninteresting, predictable and plain boring at times. There's a few attempts at humor here and there, but it's more laughable than funny.

The main theme/OP is fitting and is used nicely at some points in the show, but the who the hell chose that ED? It doesn't fit the tone of the show at all.

There is an interesting story hidden in here somewhere, but there seems to be a few pieces that's missing. Some parts of the last episode was a bit sad, but no real feels moments here either.

Not really good, but not that bad either. All in all I give it 2.5/5 blood soaked puppies:
rdq9Z4R.png
rdq9Z4R.png
n4lfPVm.png
aeMuid4.png
aeMuid4.png

I'm so sorry. I have no idea how you can power through these anime so quickly. I think I've had enough School Days for the rest of this month and I'm only on ep 2. However, I will finish it just for you!

Syrinx

Aria: The Animation 11

This was a lovely episode with Akira. Alicia, and Athena reminiscing about their training days together. The scene with Athena singing was particularly well done. But after that was the important part, where they talk about how they don't get to really do that stuff anymore, and Alice realizes that that's going to happen to her, Akari, and Aika someday. To which the elder three deliver a message to not lose sight of how good your life is in the present because of nostalgia for the past.

Midonin

Fairy Tail 191

For the Miyukichi fans, Ultear has a small appearance near the end of this episode. Future!Rogue was almost too "edgy" with how needlessly he murders people, but it was all made up for with the scene of the various guilds agreeing to come together to fight the dragons. I have no idea what came over Lucy at the end of the episode, but this was overall pretty alright.

Tokyo Ghoul 03

I just found out that this shit is made by studio Pierrot, and I was like "whaaa". I keep forgetting that they are capable of doing decent animation when they are not working on any Shounen "Epics". Ken gets antiquated with his new life on how to pass off as human. Also apparently his new employer is basically running the Bar from Casablanca but for super powered Cannibals, the good ones at least. And we more character introductions, with Stoic blonde guy (Yomo), a Hot Topic Cashier (Uta), and a guy who gets his jacket at the same place the Jojo characters shop (Shuu). We also met the "Imouto" of the series (Hinami). Pretty standard episode meant to build up what would be the overarching plot of the show. Nothing in the way of excitement but the characters don't make me reel into Cringe-ville, despite how stereotypical some of the characters are. Also, some pretty blatant censorship going on. In a series that's centered around cannibals I'm afraid it's only gonna get worse.

Like someone said they probably censoring scenes in order to get more people to buy the uncensored BD release. It sucks and they got me sucked in too. So I'm most likely gonna buy the BD release.

Like someone said they probably censoring scenes in order to get more people to buy the uncensored BD release. It sucks and they got me sucked in too. So I'm most likely gonna buy the BD release.

Well thankfully it's being simulcasted by Funi which lessens the chance of it being picked up by Aniplex. Those BD prices man

Aria: The Animation 11

This was a lovely episode with Akira. Alicia, and Athena reminiscing about their training days together. The scene with Athena singing was particularly well done. But after that was the important part, where they talk about how they don't get to really do that stuff anymore, and Alice realizes that that's going to happen to her, Akari, and Aika someday. To which the elder three deliver a message to not lose sight of how good your life is in the present because of nostalgia for the past.

Athena's singing is quite nice and relaxing. Listening to Eri Kawai's tribute songtrack as I type this. It's a shame she and Tomoko Kawakami, Athena's singing voice and character seiyuu respectfully, both have past away.

Hattori

Banned
There's a reason why this community is the worst hell on earth... Hope. Every poster who has ventured here over the years has looked up to the wall of shame and imagined climbing to the top. So easy... So simple... And like shipwrecked men turning to sea water from uncontrollable thirst, many have died trying. I learned here that there can be no true despair without hope. So, as I terrorize AnimeGAF, I will feed its people hope to poison their souls. I will let them believe they can survive so that you can watch them clamoring over each other to "stay on the wall." You can watch me torture an entire thread and when you have truly understood the depth of your failure, we will fulfill Duckroll's destiny... We will destroy AnimeGAF and then, when it is done and AnimeGAF is ashes, then you have my permission to get banned.
yyaCgTL.png

Soma

I like both the visuals and song in TiR's OP ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But the ED is superior in both respects.

On the topic, I really shouldn't be surprised but the soundtrack to this show is fantastic. Listening to it on its own and I'm in love. Hearing a very strong post-rock influence in a lot of these tracks.

"von" in particular has a pretty obvious Sigur Ros feel to it especially with the vocals. Really beautiful song.

Finalow

Just this one thing: they clearly showed that there were bowls in the cabinet and a microwave. It's obviously a small "kitchen", or at least a "please eat here" area.
oh I didn't remember that, makes some more sense. in any case being able to go there and do whatever he wants remains dumb. and aren't they supposed to show a receipt or whatever when they deliver food? Don't you get paid? Don't they have security cams in the police station? How did they fake the order anyway?
I might be nitpicking here but that scene just felt really cheesy and poorly thought to me.

The OP and ED songs are the best parts of Terror so far.
booo

Quasar

invaders from the rokujyouma - 1

just stopped watching here, like two minutes in, because this show will never get better, can only go downhill:

they lived happily ever after. Amen.

It does seem like this seasons 'Flag Breaks', though with much less watchable characters. At least after episode 1. I like the setup though, so I'm in for at least another episode.

mankoto

Tokyo ESP 2
Got this weird vibe that this series is going to disappoint me somehow. It seems interesting though, so I hope it won't

Terror in Resonance 2
A very exciting episode though that riddle was fairly obvious. Getting a bit of Death Note vibes from this show except the protagonist isn't as bad. It's going to be interesting to see Lisa's role.

Narag

Sailor Stars 178

fuuuuuuuuck I think Hito told me about this ep but I totally blanked on it. It's the ep where Luna dies. :\ I didn't expect this shit to get so dark, thought we were back to the silliness.

1mhCTKOl.png

Started off goofy enough with a chameleon scaring Luna and her running off until...

t0DZ6hql.png

F72Cjrrl.png

Tragedy strikes.

EfcB7ASl.png

8ikUe3Kl.png

This shit kinda bothered me. Artemis is a bro and didn't need to go through that.

O4kpolkl.png

Minako the only one brave enough to collect Luna's corpse.

Don't even feel like watching anymore after this bullshit.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Yo, so I don't watch much modern anime, but I watched "Attack on Titan" because it was getting a lot of buzz outside anime fandom (and it was on netflix), ultimately I didn't like it, I think I made a post about it a couple months back.

I noticed on Netflix that they got this "Knights of Sidonia." I did a quick search of this thread and found generally negative response, but since Titan was so positive I figured maybe I'm just wired different so I went ahead with it. Also because I was curious about Netflix publishing Sidonia themselves.

Anyhow I ended up liking it decently enough.

Of course the main teen, special chosen one protagonist with a mysterious past, etc etc. was whiny, but he wasn't that whiny. They pulled the ole'
love interest dies but not really
trope, but at least they put a pretty pessimistic spin on it, so that's nice.

I just liked compared to Evangelion or Titan, while the characters were kinda spineless navel-gazers prone to sentimentality, the pilots in Sidonia were able to pull it together for the most part and get shit done.

So finally, a space sci-fi epic where the characters actually kick a little ass and can feel good about themselves after. Ironically, going old skool Macross is actually refreshing for me.

jgminto

Terror in Resonance 2
A very exciting episode though that riddle was fairly obvious. Getting a bit of Death Note vibes from this show except the protagonist isn't as bad. It's going to be interesting to see Lisa's role.
I don't think the Death Note comparisons really put the TiR protags in a good light. When you compare them to Kira they don't seem that smart outside of the technical stuff. Their plans are full of holes and the only reason they're getting the upper hand is because the rest of the cast is so stupid. Compare that to the battle of wits in Death Note and both sides seemed really intelligent. It was extremely tense because it felt like whoever made the first mistake would lose. Also, while Light wasn't a good person he at least had a clear motivation and goal. It made it easy to either side with him or the investigation team. Here we don't even know what the duo are doing other than random acts of terror. I assume that's meant to be a mystery though and we'll get an answer later.
RIP Humanity...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom