• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mokoi

Banned
http://i.minus.com/ijxqISuzH4IjZ.gif
iZfWc3pEb4feE.gif

Bonus:

Drew some KLK nonsense today
Yes I prop my small monitor up with an empty cardboard box.

Really nice art! Also perhaps you should set up a charity fund. I'll donate 50 cents max though.

Midonin

PriPara 03

This show continues to have an unusual but pleasing mix of anti-authority (or at least one cartoonish authority. This isn't AKB0048, but it's the closest thing I've found to it), hijinks and idol culture, with some of Moriwaki's weird humor coming into play. Like how Mirei bootcamps Lala into handshake practice. With a giant mechanical octopus that shoots ink at you if you fail. It's not that kind of anime.

The scenes with Gloria stroking her vaccuum are also being played the same way a hunter would fondle his gun. From the looks of things, not even a complicated series of charts and graphs by Mirei can break her shell just yet. The charts noticeably had no legible text on them. Is this because there's some co-production going on here? If Meganee is who she acts just like she is, we have an interdimensional wardrober instructing young girls to join the independent state of idoldom. I'm not sure if it's just Lala's school that's like this, and going by Sofie's performance on TV, the first non-OP song played, they're as popular as anyone in the Aikatsu universe. Not a bad song. All these brand names for the clothes make me think they're really trying to compete with Aikatsu.

Sofie herself
is a bit of a slob in her home life, apparently. Lala's the only one who doesn't fundamentally change inside idol world, at least from what the show's shown so far.

Now I'm glad we're getting somewhere into what this franchise does best. Ridiculous finishing moves. Or Making Drama as they're called here. Lala's giant pizza box was quirky, but not "I am figuratively reshaping the universe" level just yet. So I continue to sing the praises of Pretty Rhythm. The only show this season where a girl has promised to go "Screw you, principal" and aims to be a God-level idol, and then acts like a goat and eats pages of her own notebook out of fear.

It really is surreal seeing how much of this thread has changed one year after I became a regular. So many people have left and so many new faces have joined in since then.

I remember when Regulus was a regular here. Oh, the memories...

cajunator

Banned
That should be your new avatar.

nah. Im good

Sailor Stars 178

fuuuuuuuuck I think Hito told me about this ep but I totally blanked on it. It's the ep where Luna dies. : I didn't expect this shit to get so dark, thought we were back to the silliness.

Don't even feel like watching anymore after this bullshit.

that painting mistake on the tail

If you drew less anime and did more pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps, you wouldn't need to use a cardboard box as a prop for your monitor.

do you even american dream, brothren?

I prop up my keyboard on tea boxes so I have room to sketch.

hiroshawn

Banned
Can someone recommend me an anime movie. I like oldschool shit like Akira, Venus wars, Ninja scrolls. Maybe something with mechs. There was a scene where a smaller mech blew a guys head clean off, I can't remember the film though.

cajunator

Banned
We have a title and key visual for KinMosa season 2.

This one is titled Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic. No airdate has been given yet. Can't wait. I love that we get new anime based on these kinds of shows almost every season - even if it's only one show - and it's even better that both this and Non Non Biyori got sequels.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
*hugs it
can somebody grab that background image? I neeeeeed it

Just turf wars. At least you're not all shifty like K-ON gaf.

Whaaaaat? Im not shifty :(

I don't think the Death Note comparisons really put the TiR protags in a good light. When you compare them to Kira they don't seem that smart outside of the technical stuff. Their plans are full of holes and the only reason they're getting the upper hand is because the rest of the cast is so stupid. Compare that to the battle of wits in Death Note and both sides seemed really intelligent. It was extremely tense because it felt like whoever made the first mistake would lose. Also, while Light wasn't a good person he at least had a clear motivation and goal. It made it easy to either side with him or the investigation team. Here we don't even know what the duo are doing other than random acts of terror. I assume that's meant to be a mystery though and we'll get an answer later.
To be fair, the death note was a far cleaner method than whatever terrorists get their hands on. It's pretty easy for your plans to have few holes when your way of terrorism only requires you to describe when and how the death will occur. Though I guess TiR is more of a game than Death Note was. The TiR protagonist's goal is pretty clear that they want to topple the government with the warnings to diminish the death, but just challenging enough that the bomb goes off before they can stop it. Also, it's not like the police are brilliant in either show. In Death Note, L did the main thinking. In this show, it seems the half-retired cop will be the main thinker.

Narag

Can someone recommend me an anime movie. I like oldschool shit like Akira, Venus wars, Ninja scrolls. Maybe something with mechs. There was a scene where a smaller mech blew a guys head clean off, I can't remember the film though.

Sword of the Stranger
Five Star Stories

Tokyo ESP 2
The concept of how they get their powers is interesting though I think that qualifies the powers as magic or Superpowers over ESP. In terms of plot, it is sort of interesting but probably not the summer's greatest

Hattori

Banned
Urusei Yatsura 8
YKPbvWg.gif

Very fun episode xD

I just came to a realization that Kintaro is voiced by kid Goku's VA. I don't know why it took me this long,
I knew he sounded familiar when he was introduced but I couldn't figure it out.

Blood: The Last Vampire
Sword of the Stranger
Redline

I think those would suit your needs. Did you ever see Ghost in the Shell?

Mokoi

Banned

Yeah I'm going to also recommend Redline. I haven't seen too many old school movies, so can't really give you any suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom