• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top 3

Nozaki-kun
Sabagebu!
Barakamon

Pretty good

Space Dandy
Aldnoah Zero
Zankyou no Terror

It's Alright

Sailor Moon Crystal
Sword Art Online II
Akame ga Kill!
Tokyo ESP

Dropped

Glasslip
Tokyo Ghoul
Momo Kyun Sword
Rail Wars!
Jinsei
Argevollen
Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?

Spring Leftovers

Hunter x Hunter
Stardust Crusaders
Mahouka
Captain Earth

Shorts

Himegoto
Mobile Suit Gundam-san

Eureka Seven - 30

So Talho changes her personality by cutting her hair and throwing away all those fanservice clothes. Not how I feel about her new design.

Meanwhile, the Nirvash is getting an upgrade. Sweet. Hope the main design doesn't change TOO much though. I'm kind of worried about this if Super Robot Wars is any indication.

Jintor

Encouragement of Climb s2 - 1

Did the production values step up even more or was I just not good at noticing them back when I watched s1?

Adorably cute hand-holding and general shennanigans. Mom is way too protective but I guess she's scared of bears or some shiz. Mountaineering otaku are strange but it's a show about mountain climbing so I guess I signed on for this already.

Watching

Glasslip
Aldnoah.Zero
Nozaki Kun
Akame ga Kill!
Blue Spring Ride
HaNaYaMaTa
Encouragement of Climb S2
Sabagebu!
Barakamon
Gun Gale Online

Looking forward to every week:

Aldnoah.Zero
Glasslip
Nozaki Kun
Encouragement of Climb S2 (why does CR release this so slowly?)

Dropped

Rail Wars
Captain Earth
Argevollen

cajunator

Banned
Harem Wars #3

That is some quality art. The harem is ever expanding. Nice job, MC-kun!

Gun Therapist Online #3

Hm. Seems legit. On a more serious note, the contested scene in question wasn't that silly. The face rotation and finger zooming was a bit silly though, yeah, but the reaction triggered by the trauma seemed fine. Not sure how a violent game can cure the trauma, but I'm not a professional psychologist. Next week: aw yiss finally.

Barack Mandom #3

Yes. YES. ALL OF IT. INTO MY VEINS.

Whats wrong with the art? I dont see anything in particuar?

Narag

Gundam-san 3

oUmMiXTl.png
I feel bad for Haro's actor. Poor guy.

VRMN

Good

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2wei - Loli-bait makeouts aside, the lighthearted spin on the Fate universe has long appealed to me. Having read the manga, I know this is going to be something fantastic once again.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun - Has no business being as hilarious as it is. Chiyo is one of my favorite comedic protagonists in a long time and Nozaki just plays off her so well. Hopefully it keeps up at this pace.

Terror in Resonance - The whole 'no fatalities' thing is clearly an attempt to hold off or avoid the protagonists crossing the moral event horizon and becoming outright villains. It gives me some faint Death Note vibes aside from the hesitation to cause any deaths.

Captain Earth - As I was getting sick of Hana not really doing anything, finally she gets her character arc. I'll take it even if she revealed some massive plot armor in the process.

Barakamon - I think all of the villagers are more interesting than the protagonist, but I think that's part of the point. He's slowly loosening up and becoming more likable as it goes on. Naru is really endearing, too.

Okay

Sabagebu - Not stale yet, but it already needed to toss in some new characters to keep it from just being another "Momoka goes off on someone" bit...and it still more or less did that anyway. It's funny; it's just something I could see getting old relatively quick.

Space Dandy 2 - More Dandy, More Problems. I'm bracing myself for the inevitable bit near the end tying everything together, but it's still a generally enjoyable ride.

Akame ga Kill - Knowing how brutal the series gets in the not too distant future, I'm unable to decide if the moments of irreverence are trying to disarm the audience or if they're just going to be really off putting in retrospect.

Hanayamata - The requisite cute girls doing cute things show of the season, or at least the one I'm watching.

Aldnoah.Zero - You think they'll bother to explain the transformation device or why she had it? Points for tactical thinking rather than ancient superweapon or another way to beat an unbeatable opponent. Minus points for the "cadets are better than the soldiers who completed their training" cliche.

Tokyo Ghoul - Could be interesting. The censoring is annoying, though. Kind of in a holding pattern, but I doubt that's going to last long.

Meh

Dragonball Z Kai - Finally getting going, but damn, even with the filler taken out the Buu saga takes forever and a day to actually have anything of interest happen.

HappnessCharge PreCure - Is anyone surprised that the warnings about Precure not falling in love culminated in Lovely starting to fall in love? Anyone?

Persona 4 Golden the Animation - Basically an OVA series that's just showing the stuff new to the Golden version of the game. I don't hate Marie, but...it's hard to not be a little disappointed with what this is.

Sailor Moon Crystal - Bad production values, sloppy pacing, kind of awful initial design choices, and CG that makes Precure's look good. Come on Toei...I'm rewatching the original on Hulu. This is almost depressing by comparison.

Dropped

Rail Wars - Episode 2's stupidity killed it for me.

Glasslip - You'd think after NagiAsu I'd be more forgiving, but episode one did absolutely nothing for me. Hearing about the twist didn't help any.

The Irregular at Magic High School - I actually dropped this awhile ago, but had to see the battle I had suffered through the rest of the series for. I was mostly underwhelmed by a lot of stock footage and then the drama the episode did have being mostly erased fifteen seconds later. Boring hero, boring plot with no payoff.

Branduil

Mouryou no Hako 1

Ryosuke Nakamura sure loves his cherry blossoms, doesn't he? Just as in Nerawareta Gakuen, the opening scenes are infused with a surplus of cherry blossoms leisurely floating through the air. Here, the main purpose they serve is to give Yuzuki a mystical aura, which Yuzuki's mysterious ruminations on moonlight and reincarnation also add to.

I'm not really sure at this point where the story is going to go. The first episode presents a tale of a mysterious and vaguely sinister friendship that develops between two girls ending in tragedy which almost feels like it could be a short story in itself, if it weren't for the tantalizing prologue with its bizarre box. I have no idea now how that's going to tie in to everything else. The biggest takeaway is the strong sense of atmosphere, which is something that draws me into a work above anything else. The writing is rather dense, with literary references and metaphors galore, and I understand that this is a show which only fully comes together at the end, so I'll just enjoy the ride for now.

It's become an excessively overused term to describe any fictional story with surprising twists, but Mouryou no Hako is one show where the crude metaphor explicit in the word "mindfuck" is actually appropriate. It's likely to keep surprising you up until the very end.

I guess I'll give my tiers

Barakamon tier:

Barakamon

God tier:

Nozaki-kun

Fun viewing tier:

Akame ga KILL!
Glasslip
Tokyo Ghoul
Rail Wars
SAO 2

Closed to dropped tier:

Locodol
P4G

Blusby

I can only beg you guys to read the manga. It's way better in any aspect. The adaption sucks, it wants to be more mature and serious, but fails ultimately, because that's not what the series is.

It seems pretty campy so far, not seeing the complaints besides pretty meh animation. I'm really liking Rinka a lot, the rest of the cast seems pretty cool too (the dad's hilarious, Crow head's cool, I liked what I saw of Black Fist).
Now Hanyamata and Glasslip are the ones testing my patience, they're just so dull and yet I can't bring myself to drop them.

Baccano! 02

Well Isaac and Miria sure are characters. The Flying Pussyfoot has people from all walks of life on it. Time for a clash of clans on a train full of crazy people.

Watching the sub? Oh dear...

Baccano!'s dub is the definitive experience as it does a really good job with the various accents of the characters.

ef: A Tale of Memories 1

I will admit I was a bit apprehensive while watching this at the begining. School Days is still haunting me so it has deterred some of my usual enthusiasm for these type of shows. I came around to it mid way, though it's going pretty slow. Which is fine. The less this reminds me of SD the better.

Although I am a little puzzled about what is actually going on. Seems like 3-4 parallel stories going on with one of them maybe not really being real? I am not sure. We will see as we progress.

Narag

Baccano!'s dub is the definitive experience as it does a really good job with the various accents of the characters.

I've false started that three times via the dub and had to stop each time due to Firo reminding me too much of Yakko Warner.

Hugstable

Banned

Yeah I've seen it both ways and it's one of the few animes I can actually watched dubbed just because it makes sense in the world and the accents are terrifically done. Isaac and Miria are funny in both versions though.

ef: A Tale of Memories 1

I will admit I was a bit apprehensive while watching this at the begining. School Days is still haunting me so it has deterred some of my usual enthusiasm for these type of shows. I came around to it mid way, though it's going pretty slow. Which is fine. The less this reminds me of SD the better.

Although I am a little puzzled about what is actually going on. Seems like 3-4 parallel stories going on with one of them maybe not really being real? I am not sure. We will see as we progress.

Newton's Third Law states that every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

To me, Ef a tale of memories is the opposite reaction to School Days.

Eureka Seven - 31

The first half of this episode was pretty funny with all the character interactions.

But then...

tumblr_m97z6aLRpZ1r4sd0zo1_1280.jpg

Seriously though, what the hell are those things? Did Anti-Spiral go to an aquarium and redesign all the Mugann to look like those abominations?

Baccano! 03

Bringing a knife to a machine gun fight. I think it's time you step out.

So we have time skips going backwards and forwards in time, at least five different things happening at once and characters in two places at once? (or they're at different times, I can't tell any more) We also have regeneration alchemy and 3 different robberies happening in the same place at the same time. What is going on?

Akame Ga Kill Episode 3

Yeah it's really upping it's edginess meter. I really can't wait to see how fucked up this show can get. We already see how much of a piece of shit the minister is and that fuckin brat. I like Bulat and Mine a bit, but really my favorite character is Leone. Them cat ears though. Can't wait till next week.

jgminto

List time?

Great Tier
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - I love Stardust Crusaders. This is a perfect adaptation of Stardust Crusaders. I love this.
Space Dandy - Haven't seen the third episode yet but the first two have been great, hope it can keep up the quality.
Shounen Hollywood - I absolutely loved the last episode. If it can keep up that quality I'd love it, otherwise it'll be a fun slice of life idol show with really nice backgrounds.

Good Tier
Free! Eternal Summer - Surprisingly Kyoani hasn't fucked this up yet. I'm still expecting a dumb drama bomb but I'll enjoy the fun while I can.
Love Stage!! - I read through the entire thing after the second episode so I'm excited for where it's going more so than what we've seen so far. Shit is gonna get lewd.
Terror in Resonance - They've nailed the tone but I hope they can improve the scenarios. The police came off as really idiotic in the last episode and a show like this needs a good battle of wits, not mildly intelligent terrorists and an idiotic pursuer.
Bakumatsu Rock - A fun show, nothing amazing. The CG is pretty bad. Bathhouse episode coming up WOOOO!
DRAMAtical Murder - I really shouldn't be putting this so high. The animation is utter crap in multiple ways 90% of the time, the story isn't being told particularly well and mysteries are being hinted at way too early. But I love the source material so I just can't hate it. Now if they do a romanceless route...then I'll hate it.
Aldnoah Zero - The first two eps were pretty poor but the third was entertaining/not totally stupid. If it can keep up that it'll be an enjoyable show if nothing else.
Hunter X Hunter - Really refreshing being on a new arc, can't wait to see where it goes.
Haikyuu - It's been an exciting interhigh so far, loved the emotional moments from the other teams last episode.
Baby Steps - I was afraid this current match would drag on but the last episode was quite exciting. It's fun to see the other player try and counter Ei-chan's careful play.

Meh Tier
Sailor Moon: Crystal - I just want to watch the original. Bring on the blurays!
Ace of Diamond - Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacccccccccccccccccccciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg...I haven't watched the most recent ep but I swear to god if they haven't finish the game by the end of the episode I will freak the fuck out.

SHIT Tier
Sword Art Online II - Kirito has been a shit tier beater so far this season. Get your game on, dude! Meanwhile we've had the upcoming harem member's mental illness portrayed in the most ridiculous fashion possible and been introduced to her "I want to protect you" friend who's TOTALLY NOT DEATH GUN OR CONNECTED TO DEATH GUN IN ANY WAY. Don't be crazy, why would you even think that?

On Hold
Tokyo Ghoul - Will wait for uncensored version to decide whether or not I want to watch it.

Will Try
Barakamon - Fujoshi jokes put me off a bit but the rest of the show still seems good so I'll check it out eventually.

What a packed season. Oh I also started Akame ga Kill but I dropped it when I reached boob lady. Didn't think it was even long enough to bother putting it on my Hummingbird account.

Ace of Diamond - Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacccccccccccccccccccciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg...I haven't watched the most recent ep but I swear to god if they haven't finish the game by the end of the episode I will freak the fuck out.

They finish it, but the episode is still poorly paced.

e_i

Invaders in the Rokujouma episode 2

Give your characters EYES ANIMATORS. It's really creepy when all the girls in the class have no eyes. Silver Link, I expect better of you.

Narag

Sengoku Basara Judge End 3

HJNWYNFl.jpg

This flashback is more inline with the palette Production IG used and I joked on twitter that they muted it because the story is a little more muted too. Wondering if that's actually the case here given how so much shit in anime is intentional.

Twitter discussion has me realizing this is apparently going in a character development route at the moment, eschewing the usual action for a whole lot of politicking by Ieyasu and Mistunari. Guess it makes sense with the clear endpoint of Sekigihara coming to close it out. Perhaps I need to adjust my expectations accordingly.

Invaders in the Rokujouma episode 2

Give your characters EYES ANIMATORS. It's really creepy when all the girls in the class have no eyes. Silver Link, I expect better of you.

That's Silver Link's thing though. Minor characters or background characters get no eyes. That's their style.

Will Keep With It:
- Ai Mai Mi: Mousou Catastrophe
- Ao Haru Ride
- Bakumatsu Rock
- Barakamon
- DRAMAtical Murder
- Free!: Eternal Summer
- Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
- Himegoto
- Mobile Suit Gundam-san
- Re:␣Hamatora
- Sengoku Basara: Judge End