• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

I love that but a lot of the jokes don't work well in translation and some of the cultural stuff is pretty obscure. Like the shamisen joke.

The one translation of it out did their best, and I think it mostly worked. Kumeta's humor was simply not meant for the non-Japanese parts of the world.

Terror in Tokyo 2

Man just like with today's episode of The Strain, I gotta give props to a show that has me glued to the screen and I don't notice when it's over as the pacing is done really well. Cannot wait for the next episode, absolutely one of the highlights of the season.

Jintor

Gekkan Shoujo 3

Holy shit, these jokes really hit hard with the acting and animation. Hori snarling "KASHIMA" and then tossing her down the hall was amazing.

lol seo. Still best character even when she's in one gag in the whole episode

Oh man, Hori's voice is really cool in this. Kashima, also amazing, she can do a really natural voice and then also an amazing 'stupid idiot' voice. Amazing.

Holy shit the acting lol. Sogood. Even self-aware that Nozaki's script sucks lol

3581fdd043.png

hZjTjhhl.jpg

Jintor

Also Sailor Moon english has much funnier dialogue than I remembered, but it's really amplified by every shot having a completely different art style. Amazing.

He's right, Yuasa is a shit.
So mean.
Compare something like Ping Pong/The Tatami Galaxy to Kaiba/Kemonozume and the difference in overall quality and thematically consistent storytelling is virtually night and day. The dude needs to stick to shorts and adaptations.

I've seen all of those except for The Tatami Galaxy and enjoyed them, though Ping Pong most of all. Kaiba certainly has standalone episodes that work very well, and I'd say this latest episode of Space Dandy also refutes the idea that he's unable to make something that's both brief and fairly complex while being satisfying. That's not to say that I didn't feel a bit of whiplash at some points in the episode, but Dandy is all about letting animators run loose, and in this case I even found it charming. Regardless, I definitely thought this episode was more solid than the last, which was fairly similar in structure.

Also, Jexhius says that Yuasa's no good at short media, while you say he should stick to shorts. I'm pretty confused here.

i dont want to watch hyouka because i know there will never be more

From what I watched it was pretty conclusive. There's closure. It's just there are people that want more.

Till this day I still haven't seen Hyouka. And I want to know what's so great about it. Might give it a watch.

It's high school Sherlock Holems with a lot of "I'm curious". Some will find it boring but I found it quite engaging and a fun watch. Whenever they decide to bring it westward on Blu-ray I will definitely pick it up.

PK Gaming

So mean.

I've seen all of those except for The Tatami Galaxy and enjoyed them, though Ping Pong most of all. Kaiba certainly has standalone episodes that work very well, and I'd say this latest episode of Space Dandy also refutes the idea that he's unable to make something that's both brief and fairly complex while being satisfying. That's not to say that I didn't feel a bit of whiplash at some points in the episode, but Dandy is all about letting animators run loose, and in this case I even found it charming. Regardless, I definitely thought this episode was more solid than the last, which was fairly similar in structure.

Also, Jexhius says that Yuasa's no good at short media, while you say he should stick to shorts. I'm pretty confused here.

Dude, you gotta watch it when you have the time

The Tatami Galaxy is glorious

Akame ga Kill 3

I see they went back for proper character introductions.

And with that over, the rough parts of the series are pretty much done. Next week should be fun, and after that is JUSTICE, which will be really fun.

Dude, you gotta watch it when you have the time

The Tatami Galaxy is glorious

I actually started it years ago, but I remember being put off by the repetition of the early episodes. I'd like to say I'll give it another try soon, but I'm currently halfway through Breaking Bad and... damn, I have to catch up on Mushishi too. Too much goodness out there! I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Barack Obama 3

Even if not a hilarious episode, it seems like it'll go more into reassuring those struggling to not give up and keep trying. So a slice of life with a message and charm, not bad. Will keep watching.

jman2050

Sabagebu 3

Mokarin's assholishness is a thing of beauty. NO MERCY TO GRADE SCHOOLERS.

I don't even know what to say about next week's preview.

Nozaki-kun 3

Wait so Mikorin is best girl except Seo was best girl but now Kashima-kun is best boy and oh god why is every character in this show 100% gold? The entire script reading segment was the best part.

Also I initially thought that Nozaki was just really really tall but looking at it now, it's just that Sakura is downright tiny. We're talking Taiga-tiny here.

Link Man

Banned
Been busy today, time to catch up.

Akame ga Kill 3

Okay, aniki is pretty awesome so far.

This show doesn't hold back. That razor wire scene was pretty uncomfortable.

Well, DTL should be happy.

Welp, Christian groups will be up in arms.

Woah,
forcing your enemy to perform a blade grasp in order to disarm him
? Tatsumi's a clever swordsman.

This has become a very fun show to watch.

that's her triggerfingershape, you insensitive sod.
P0yrL71.png

that's my trigger!

Nozaki-kun 3

This continues to be the most well-written comedy of the season, and the characters are still amazing. I mean it's expected having read the manga. I hope this is in the top 10 of everybody's list by the end of the season.

Don't tell me you didn't find this funny

[IM]http://38.media.tumblr.com/006df5926c3a10db22f2cb0e303571bf/tumblr_n8zgznQ71E1r3rdh2o1_500.gif[/IMG]

or the Megane's over the top blown away reaction.

eh it was cute, but I feel that I can only laugh at the "doing the voice of the opposite sex" thing with few people, one of them being LittleKuriboh

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Rumors of my (anime) death have been nonexistent.

Acchi Kocchi 7

Cute as always but...IS THIS SOME CG JENGA ACTION

Space☆Dandy 15

Man, this story, this surfing, this music, these waves!

I love you Dandy.

Captain Earth 13

So singularities are
powers of the designer children or what?
Thanks for totally spelling that out and not just dropping it on us, BONES.

This some lazy ass mech battle animation.

Fuck you Bones.

Attack on Titan 7

This is both incredibly brutal and incredibly cheesy all at once.

ENOUGH FUCKING FLASHBACKS PLEASE YES WE ALREADY KNOW WHAT HAPPENED 5 MINUTES AGO

lol that's
totally Eren isn't it?

One Week Friends 1

My god. The art...the animation...the music...the OP...the ED...the feels...

This show is gonna wreck me. I can feel it already.

Yami 8

List time!

ERoBFTM.gif

Wait a fucking second: weren't you just running for your life a second ago?

I hate this fox

WOWZA dem female ninjas...BUT WHY ARE THEY CONSTANTLY GIGGLING FUCK

oh hey we finally caught up

lol nevermind

"Have you see this girl?" OMG THAT'S SATSUKI

They're in the trees BOOBS They're in the trees HIPS They're in the trees MORE BOOBS They're in the trees SEXY EYES

MAGIC COMBS

[GIGGLING INTENSIFIES]

School Days 7

*sigh*

I'd go the FUCK out of a zombie cafe.

Oh boy.

This little stone faced girl, Kiyoura. I like her. She's like the only rational player here. She doesn't take any of this shit.

lol here we go how long will she keep playing the denial game?

dude fuck no stop

YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO CALL ANYONE AN ASSHOLE, ASSHOLE

DRAMATIC PIANO

YOU'RE A MISERABLE PILE OF LIES

FUCK YOU ALL

KOTONOHA YOU JUST EVOLVED FROM AN INVERTEBRATE TO A VERTEBRATE CONGRATS seriously though fuck this

I need some liquor. See you next time.

1404166298600.jpg

cajunator

Banned
SN is a prequel to Zero right?

Other way. Fsn has an older Illya and Rin who are now mages and a different Berserker and Rider.

Someone a while back told me it was the other way, and that was the only reason I wanted to watch SN before Zero.

Now I can really put off SN.

Once I finally move and set up a TV at the end of the month im going to be burning through so much squee you are going to have to multiquote a whole page of my impressions.

I look forward to it!

Link Man

Banned
Nozaki-kun 3

All hail the prince.

Hmm, I recognize the voice.

I kind of feel like we're in a comedy episode of Dragon Ball.

Oh my god, Chiyo! lol

Had a good time with this episode, although Kashima's schtick got old pretty quick. And I still can't place where I've heard her voice before, it's bugging me.

cajunator

Banned
Sabagebu 3

Mokarin's assholishness is a thing of beauty. NO MERCY TO GRADE SCHOOLERS.

I don't even know what to say about next week's preview.

Nozaki-kun 3

Wait so Mikorin is best girl except Seo was best girl but now Kashima-kun is best boy and oh god why is every character in this show 100% gold? The entire script reading segment was the best part.

Also I initially thought that Nozaki was just really really tall but looking at it now, it's just that Sakura is downright tiny. We're talking Taiga-tiny here.

Sakura is just astoundingly precious.

CorvoSol

The Big O: Episode 13

Son, let me tell you about the Tomatoes. Maybe I'm one of them. Maybe you're one of them. Maybe they're a metaphor for insane experiments to implant memories into children. Maybe this entire show is a metaphor for a woman struggling with memories she doesn't want. I don't know. What I do know is that when a nightshade and a citrus love each other very much, they co-pollinate, and the angel sees it and tells the stork and the stork takes the diamond to the cabbage patch and fills out the necessary legal paperwork for this abominable sin against nature to be permitted.

And then the magic begins.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
The Big O: Episode 13

Son, let me tell you about the Oranges. Maybe I'm one of them. Maybe you're one of them. Maybe they're a metaphor for insane experiments to implant memories into children. Maybe this entire show is a metaphor for a woman struggling with memories she doesn't want. I don't know. What I do know is that when a lime and a tomato love each other very much, they co-pollinate, and the angel sees it and tells the stork and the stork takes the diamond to the cabbage patch and fills out the necessary legal paperwork for this abominable sin against nature to be permitted.

And then the magic begins.

FTFY

Jarmel

Banned
The Wind Rises-
So I've been meaning to watch this for the longest time, mainly because this is the sort of material I wished Ghibli handled more often. I'm glad that the studio animated this story as a I feel it's something worth telling. That said, I feel that the movie has a host of issues that really hold it back from being something truly great.
First thing's first, the sound effects were a dealbreaker for me. I had to pause the movie multiple times because I was laughing too hard due to the sound effects. I sort of understand why Miyazaki had humans do the sounds as he felt that it would make the planes, among other things, feel more organic. It's way too distracting though and poorly done as a whole. I don't care what his intent is if I can tell some human in a studio is making fart sounds. There were multiple sequences early on where I thought it was a dream due to the sound effects like the earthquake.
As to Jiro's tale, I'm really conflicted on this. While watching the movie, the whole thing with
his wife being that kid he helped in the earthquake
, I couldn't help but think how bullshit that was and lo and behold, all of Jiro's personal life in the movie is fictional. I like many of the themes presented in the film but I don't think it's handled in the best manner. I mean when the wife went for her 'walk' at the end of the film, it was very obvious what was going to happen as I've seen it a dozen times in a number of other films. I do think the romance itself was handled fine though, despite the sudden
'let's get engaged' scene and then the 'later lets get married' scene
Quite frankly I don't think Miyazaki is that great of a director. While I do think he's very good at creating simplistic children films, I feel that he's very limited at what he's capable of when he steps outside his box. The film in certain areas feels childish in tone despite handling rather mature/serious in nature. For example his portrayal of Jiro is somewhat flat and seems to mirror Miyazaki himself rather than the actual Jiro. Having read up on the real life Jiro, I feel like Miyazaki paid superficial attention to Jiro's emotions and instead of creating some sort of complex character, we're left with a workaholic. Miyazaki said that he wanted to do the film ever since he read the quote from Jiro saying "All I wanted to do was make something beautiful" and I don't think Miyazaki captures the tragedy,if you will, in that statement. I almost want to say Miyazaki falls into the biopic trap of glorifying their subjects but since so much of Jiro's personal life is fictional, I can't really say that.
I thought this was a really gorgeous film even by Ghibli standards. There were some really great animation cuts and I feel the background art did an amazing job helping the movie come to life. There is a strong emphasis on movement that really helped capture not just the planes but the characters as well. That said, I don't think Ghibli's character designs work in this type of film. I think Yoshifumi Kondô's designs would have been a bit better in this area.
I will admit that a number of my issues are with me wanting the film to be something it isn't trying to be but I feel that as it stands, the film's tone isn't that interesting (even if the themes behind it are) and that it feels too safe as a work. It seems like it glorified being a workaholic and didn't really portray the characters as actual humans. I also feel like the wife's drama stuff is superfluous,
partly as it's never clear whether she was terminal after she ran away from the sanatorium or if they just wanted to stay together even if it meant her dying
, and hurts the work as a whole.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Akame ga Kill! Episode 3:

Like with Aldnoah Zero this is improving by the episode, but so far, this is still a pretty vanilla experience. I did like the pairing of Tatsumi and Mine though as they worked well together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom