• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
YamiHat 10

Be5Rvuw.jpg

And now there's a tickling machine...

Lilith and evil ballet guy argues and then... then things get weird. There's doors out of nowhere and another foxlady. Looks like she got nine tails? And they're in some kind a building in space? And there's doors leading to random places? There's touching of private parts and suddenly a princess appears... And that's just the first half of the episode.

In the other half we're in a sci-fi book with Hazuki and Lilith and people are already dead. At least this part is uh... normal.

Hugstable

Banned
Baccano! 05

More weird magic and people want this guy's alchemy. I think the time skips explain how all the characters came to be on the Flying Pussyfoot and the story that is supposed to be the current event is the robbery on the Pussyfoot.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this anime. I think I like it? I do like the music.

Not really magic, it'll start to make more sense by episode 7.

I really enjoyed Log Horizon. It's a pretty clever show that does a lot with the politics, mechanics, and economics of being in an MMO instead of being mostly action, and Shiro is an awesome protagonist. Takes a little while to ramp up, though.

Hey I wanna ask, is Madeo (Hasegawa) from Gintama your favorite character since he's your avatar. He's a pretty great character though.

Gazoinks

Hey I wanna ask, is Madeo (Hasegawa) from Gintama your favorite character since he's your avatar. He's a pretty great character though.

He's one of my favorite Gintama characters, although I like Kondo, Gin, and Katsura more. I mostly just thought the picture was funny. :p

cajunator

Banned

FINALLY
Will watch ASAP. Going to a friends house tonight to watch anime stuff. I havent watched anything in over a week.

I listen to that song and Green Bird pretty much daily. Along side Attack on Titan and XLT from SnK soundtrack. I listen to a lot of anime music when I drive home. But to be fair I also listen to other shit like the Prodigy.

I listen to a lot of anime music in my car. A lot of it is Precure.

Oh, Male Nichijou was a fantastic comedy. The various gags were played out well, even though it was usually about something banal. That's just it. It uses everyday occurrences to create the gags, often purely because of boredom.

Nowadays you have comedy shows dictated by after school clubs to create the gags. Light music, swimming, soft tennis, the occult, people with no friends, female otaku, solving mysteries, finding extraterrestrials, WWII-era tanks, anthropomorphized guns, you name it. "Haha, it's so weird!"

I can't wait for the whole thing to die.

The whole -tan thing isnt going to die soon I dont think. Cute mascot girls doing cute mascot things is a popular idea.

That makes me so sad. No change to see it again the the near future? :(

The anime isn't bad. It has some horrible cg for big armies, which is at least somewhat understandable (while still horrible) and some cencoring, since the manga can get pretty graphic when armies clash or generals fighting each other. But that don't take that much from the enjoyment. The anime's biggest flaw comes from the manga itself. The first arc is just not very interesting, since it lacks a lot of the tactics and politics the later arcs have.

Yo, are you insulting my girl Suzuno?

idERXrk1XSq63.gif

I KNOW somebody did not just insult Suzuno :mad:

What's a "genre soundtrack"? Don't think I've heard the term before.

That said, Simoun's OST is amazing.

Some favorites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLyHmKEOMxQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_1escyKvsU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO5cjevq1CQ

Yes actually. simoun is an interesting show with wonderful music.

Nice, a fellow Ben-to fan. I went into that anime expecting to drop it in one episode based on the ridiculous premise, and it ended up having some of the best combat scenes of that season. Would beat people up at the supermarket for more.

Why they gotta dangle the disc release carrot? So upsetting.

Eureka Seven - 34

Uh-oh. Not exactly happy foreshadowing going on here.

So here's the Holland stuff that happens in this episode.

We get more exposition on why he was so intent on becoming Eureka's partner thus putting him in a better light than before.
Talho is now pregnant with his child.
And he just promised that he's not gonna die and he's not gonna let anyone die.

BONES plz.

Syrinx

Happiness Charge Precure 25

If Seiji hadn't rejected that girl and ruined her soul there at the end I would have thought this was about to turn into a harem anime.

Midonin

Gosick 09-11

I was surprised when the mystery was solved within two episodes, and with Victorique sick in bed at that. The Wiki entry said that 11 was also part of the novel this was adapting, and while 11 could've easily stood on its own, as an epilogue it did pry further into the questions that have been asked since the beginning of the series. Roscoe made another appearance, didn't do much so far. I'm liking a lot of what this series is doing, and even in 480p the scenes - such as the study in the library - look really pretty.

Gosick 12

A simple summer side story, but I was surprised at what it contributed to the narrative. I could lament about Victorique not getting to eat the orange cake, yet that was only secondary to what went on. The look into Kazuya's past was appreciated, and Victorique's joy over solving the brain teaser, even if it had to be Westernized in order for her to get the context, was a good note to end the episode on. Her pink house really does look like a dollhouse, surely a further part of the symbolism.

For those who want to watch the latest Sengoku Basara on Funi, they have an update on that too. But I'm not watching it, I just want followup on Jinsei.

Mokoi

Banned
The port town of Visby, to be exact... and we should be thankful that something of this worth came out from that trip other than the image-boards from the failed Pippi Longstocking's project (http://www.ghibliworld.com/images/Miyazaki_Pippi_imageboards_1b.jpg, http://www.ghibliworld.com/images/Miyazaki_Pippi_imageboards_2b.jpg & http://www.ghibliworld.com/images/Miyazaki_Pippi_imageboards_3b.jpg)...

Oh wow thanks. I now know there was going to be a Pippi Longstocking film or something like that.
Edit: Oh I see that Astrid Lindgren didn't approve of it.

Fucking idols...

Join the idol revolution!

Re: Hamatora 03

That picture! Also I have not seen this Hamatora, but that's how animu works man they just try out plans without even being positive it's going to work out.

Chariot

In a murderous sort of way, yea.
:3

FINALLY
Will watch ASAP. Going to a friends house tonight to watch anime stuff. I havent watched anything in over a week.
Have fun!

That picture! Also I have not seen this Hamatora, but that's how animu works man they just try out plans without even being positive it's going to work out.
Yes, but it still annoys me. We need more anime/mangos like Hunter x Hunter or Jojo where people (most of the time) try first to find out how the enemy and his or her abilities works.

Blusby

ef: A Tale of Melodies (End):

I loved this, the music and the message resonated with me a bit more than Memories, with a much more interesting core cast. If I had one real gripe I had with this series it was the over the top presentation in certain, what should have been chilling scenes, mostly regarding Sensei but it wasn't enough of a negative to make me think any less of the plight of the characters. ef's probably the most emotionally engaging of SHAFT's titles for me so far, though I still have several more to go through I doubt they'll trump this series as my favorite from the studio.

Jex

Not the ones from the disappointing The Collected Works of Director Hayao Miyazaki BD-BOX, that's for sure! The 'On Your Mark' MV wasn't the only thing stripped from it (as it was explained here; https://twitter.com/Lupinthe3rdcom/status/483849659929358337 and https://twitter.com/Lupinthe3rdcom/status/483853072423088128).

Aside from that every other release from the Ghibli Ga Ippai Collection is beautiful on their picture quality, as is their packaging on itself! Remember, multiple 'dubs' and 'subs' available on every release.

Wow that's kind of...awful.

Rhapsody

Banned

I loved this, the music and the message resonated with me a bit more than Memories, with a much more interesting core cast. If I had one real gripe I had with this series it was the over the top presentation in certain, what should have been chilling scenes, mostly regarding Sensei but it wasn't enough of a negative to make me think any less of the plight of the characters. ef's probably the most emotionally engaging of SHAFT's titles for me so far, though I still have several more to go through I doubt they'll trump this series as my favorite from the studio.

The real villain of ef
are those random bad drivers :(

Also, Shaft took some liberties I hear.
She didn't die by just reaching out for some random ball, she died by rescuing the little girl when she saw the car. I can't remember if she died right away in the anime, but in the VN, she crawls into the church and makes her wish before dying.

I don't know if you were watching the TV airing version of that, but they did something weird on that episode lol

And this is why series is my favorite romance series.

Chariot

And this is why series is my favorite romance series.
Is it better than memories? I loved memories and didn't watch melodies because I am scared that it's not as good.

Rhapsody

Banned
Is it better than memories? I loved memories and didn't watch melodies because I am scared that it's not as good.

It's definitely worth watching. I only rate it a little lower only because a lot of the unique presentation is kinda reused. Also episode number
could've been handled better in some ways (but still good)

Blusby

I may have been a bit generous with my rating of it, if not mostly because the director went overboard with his bs Shinbouisms as it occasionally clashed with the tone of the series. It came out great solely as I'd imagine because of the strength of its source material, I liked the storyline of Melodies more than Memories and kinda almost wish that the hack himself directed this instead of the hack of his hack.

Anyways, next up I have either GitS: SAC 2nd or Ano Natsu, I suppose I'll decide on which to check out first later.

Wait Baccano has like 21 vol and it's still ongoing. How come it hasn't been further adapted if it has that much material left. Were the sales terrible.

Sort of a tangent, but while everyone is talking about anime blu-rays, which would you guys say come with the most meaningful bonus features and/or packaging?

I'm sort of interested in starting a modest collection :U
Funi cares more about putting their own idiotic extras than licensing ones from Japan. I seriously listened to a commentary from a scriptwriter/director who had no idea what that particular episode of Ookami-san was about. Their packaging is a thick box w/stickers somewhat put on (lots stick). The Lain set had a good artbook and Psycho-Pass had the soundtrack CDs, but elsewise it's been bad.

Sentai's LE looks laughable with little to no on-disc extras (not surprising).

NISA includes an artbook that may have some interesting stuff or may not. Iroha's books contained most of the content from the Japanese side, which made it a great addition. Conversely, AnoHana had pages of Jintan's shirts. On-disc extras are somewhat lacking with only trailers/PVs for most. Toradora and Bunny Drop had their shorts included.

AoA is a mixed bag. Physical extras differ depending on how they feel it'll sell and what could be brought over from the JP side. Stuff like SAO/Fate/Zero/Madoka get soundtracks while Valvrave just got a box, booklet, and postcards/poster. On-disc extras depend on other things (Nise's commentaries got stripped due to seiyuu management not allowing it), but AoA does try to bring whatever they can. Honestly one of my favorite extras included on a NA set was the commentaries for SAO. It really added to my knowledge of productions.

Viz is new. They're fans of including thick boxes with booklets in them. If they have manga rights, you should expect to see something related to that in there.

Nozomi has good booklets/physical extras, but no Blu-rays.

Hope they include the Sae & Hiro Graduation Arc with S4 as well since it's been so long.
Likely a different license. They'll have to release it separately.

Hm... How come they're releasing a CE of this? Haven't they already released the whole series a long time ago? Is it that popular?
High School of the Dead is Sentai's best-selling property. This is a cheap way to re-package the discs together with the OVA and some trinkets to incentive people to buy a more profitable set.

Rhapsody

Banned
Actually, I got mixed up in which episode I said earlier. I think it was a different episode.

Going to have to rewatch this again sometime.

I loved Melodies a lot because it fills in holes in some holes memories story and I enjoyed the tone, the characters and their troubles of Melodies a lot more than Memories.

Plus Melodies was one of the few anime that broke my heart.

Rhapsody

Banned
Wait Baccano has like 21 vol and it's still ongoing. How come it hasn't been further adapted if it has that much material left. Were the sales terrible.

Because it was by Brains Base. Brains Base typically don't make 2 seasons of something that they've already done, usually.

For Durarara, we're getting a season 2 with some of the old staff leaving and forming their own studio.
Oregairu's getting a season 2, but they haven't revealed which studio is doing that from last I checked.

So what besides Champloo, FLCL and Bebop have some really good genre soundtracks?

Being from Brazil I can say how awesome the Michiko to Hatchin OST is, the best part about the anime(and the background art). I had to stop the episodes sometimes because I thought the neighbors were listening music out loudly.

So good!
This one too.
And this one.

This one looks like some of the things my neighbors would listen. lol
Oh god, this is the kind of funk they hear around here, the lyrics are so bad!

This is the perfect, "música de corno". lol

Chariot

It doesn't matter what genre you're in! Superhero? Mecha? Shounen battle? Male-on-Male subtext can and should appear everywhere!
You can still ship them. I can totally see something between Nozaki and Sensei.

It's definitely worth watching. I only rate it a little lower only because a lot of the unique presentation is kinda reused. Also episode number
could've been handled better in some ways (but still good)
I may have been a bit generous with my rating of it, if not mostly because the director went overboard with his bs Shinbouisms as it occasionally clashed with the tone of the series. It came out great solely as I'd imagine because of the strength of its source material, I liked the storyline of Melodies more than Memories and kinda almost wish that the hack himself directed this instead of the hack of his hack.
I loved Melodies a lot because it fills in holes in some holes memories story and I enjoyed the tone, the characters and their troubles of Melodies a lot more than Memories.

Plus Melodies was one of the few anime that broke my heart.
Ok, that's sounding more positive than I thought. I guess I have to see it.
More Shinbou won't bother me. I even bought Shinbous hentai on DVD. He can't shock or bore me anymore.
Being from Brazil I can say how awesome the Michiko to Hatchin OST is, the best part about the anime(and the background art). I had to stop the episodes sometimes because I thought the neighbors were listening music out loudly.

So good!
This one too.
And this one.

This one looks like some of the things my neighbors would listen. lol
Oh god, this is the kind of funk they hear around here, the lyrics are so bad!

This is the perfect, "música de corno". lol
Yes, the soundtrack is pretty awesome. Good to hear, that it's actually a genre soundtrack.

Given that you're from brazil, how was the anime in terms of content to reality?

Something that is somewhat odd about the last 1-2 episodes in Planetes:

After the terrorist attack on the Von Brown a whole 6 months pass by, yet Hachimaki doesn't know what actually happened to Tanabe (and Claire?)

I mean he was even on the Von Brown when the attack was over and may have been seen and talked to some of his acquaintances? That is, unless he was transported to a hospital due to injuries and the like. Yet, even then it just strikes me as extremely odd. Sure his former co-workers must have been trying really hard to tell him that Tanabe left for earth? Speaking of, they knew she did so for rehabilitation, right? Why not mention that to Hachimaki. [e: nvm, she resignation without giving reason] I can understand that Tanabe didn't reach out to him as she got depressed herself (love the whole last will aspect, excellently done). Overall though, that part of the story is a bit shaky to me. I think they wanted a more dramatic reveal of what happened with Tanabe but it felt kind of off. I mean I still worked for me emotionally, just the plot doesn't make much sense there. That's partially also because EP 24 ends on that cliffhanger. We're entering EP 25 and Hachimaki is depressed (due to Tanabe dying perhaps?), then we find out it's 6 months later already, Tanabe is alive (still no details) and on top of it Hachimaki doesn't have a clue either.

edit:
Oh and I got another question:

I was kinda surprised that Tanabe's lack of oxygen affected her motor functions like that but she didn't take away any real (other) mental damage? That seems a bit unlikely to me on first sight but I lack the knowledge in that regard, so I'm asking.

Blusby

More Shinbou won't bother me. I even bought Shinbous hentai on DVD.

Thing is it's not Shinbou but another guy named Oonuma, so instead of having a guy trying to be Anno (Shinbou) we have a guy trying to be Shinbou (Oonuma), it's almost horrifying.

Chariot

Thing is it's not Shinbou but another guy named Oonuma, so instead of having a guy trying to be Anno (Shinbou) we have a guy trying to be Shinbou (Oonuma), it's almost horrifying.
What? But MAL told me that Shinbou directed Unbalance. We're talking about Unbalance, right?

edit: Oh no, you're talking about memories. And here I thought every SHAFT project is directed by Shinbou.

Risette

A Good Citizen
What? But MAL told me that Shinbou directed Unbalance. We're talking about Unbalance, right?

edit: Oh no, you're talking about memories. And here I thought every SHAFT project is directed by Shinbou.
shinbo hasn't actually directed anything in like nearly a decade

he's just a glorified producer for his watered down clones

Midonin

It looks like CR's subs of Rurumo have been permanently moved to very late Friday (and with my sleep patterns, early Saturday), which is inconvenient, but workable.

Now I hope they can get the rest of Climb S2 out.

Likely a different license. They'll have to release it separately.

High School of the Dead is Sentai's best-selling property. This is a cheap way to re-package the discs together with the OVA and some trinkets to incentive people to buy a more profitable set.

I know it is a different license, but was hoping the delay from the originally planned 2013 release was so they could include it. Just a foolish hope :p

Ah. I see. Didn't know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom