• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

mankoto

Pri Para 3
Slightly annoyed that the preformance song has yet to change, but eh. I'm willing to bet that the headmistress was betrayed by her friend and it's PriPara related which is why it's banned... So she can "protect the students" from what she went through... Or something.

Other than that it still feels like this is an adaption of a social game, but it's not which is weird since it could totally be one.

Hugstable

Banned
Trully the most important thing in IS is not the MC , nor the mechas but the girls

Russia>france>germany>england>japan>china

The truth. Ichicka was eaily the worst part. I didn't like Japan or China girls either. Your top 3 is spot on though haha. Ichicka was headache inducing and a huge reason why I really did not like IS at all.

Chariot

Re: Hamatora 03

jbur7TrWosyHvU.png

This ability is stupid. Not because it's exists, there is no reason it couldn't but, more of how this guy is handled. The ability just calls for trouble, it's to simple to use and has to great immediate effect. This guy have to be immobilized permanently and manually fed. And even then I think he could make art by spitting on the ground or draw something with his tongue.

I also didn't like how Nice and co. handled the situation. It was a total guess on how that ability of this guy worked. And why did random people of the street and random guards appreciate the work and not Art and friends or Art (his name is art ffs). They did no research and assumed that it would work.

Didn't really like how it was played out.

Hugstable

Banned

This ability is stupid. Not because it's exists, there is no reason it couldn't but, more of how this guy is handled. The ability just calls for trouble, it's to simple to use and has to great immediate effect. This guy have to be immobilized permanently and manually fed. And even then I think he could make art by spitting on the ground or draw something with his tongue.

I also didn't like how Nice and co. handled the situation. It was a total guess on how that ability of this guy worked. And why did random people of the street and random guards appreciate the work and not Art and friends or Art (his name is art ffs). They did no research and assumed that it would work.

XD that picture

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
reminder how awesome oni sama is

probably from 4chan? said:
Store clerk: “3000 JPY pleas… What, you're giving me 10000 JPY!? Why?!“

Customer: “What, you don't know? I'll explain it. When paying at the cash register, when presented with a bill whose value is larger than the amount needed, the store side of the transaction needs to prepare the « difference » between that and the price of the merchandise I'm « Buying ». In technical jargon, this is called « change ».”

Back then when the earliest forms of trading surfaced, humanity solely relied on « barter » to exchange goods. With « barter », an individual possessing any surplus of value, such as a measure of grain or a quantity of livestock could directly exchange that for something perceived to have similar or greater value or utility, such as a clay pot or a tool. The capacity to carry out barter transactions is limited in that it depends on a coincidence of wants.

Nowadays people use « money » to perform the act of « buying ». This system proved to have invaluable advantages over the old « barter », most notably in that it doesn’t require a coincidence of wants and thus circumvents the incommodities that come with it, such as having to use an intermediate product when neither you nor your trade partner are interested in a direct swap. Another important advantage, one of high significance for this matter, is that it can always be divided freely; while goods like wheat already are freely apportionable, buying a single unit of merchandise can prove to be difficult if the goods you’re trying to barter for said merchandise don’t match the value of it. With « money » however trade partners should always be able to make their swap even in value, this system is called « change ».

“Normal students usually only use 1000 JPY or 5000 JPY bills, so it's pretty normal for you to be surprised if I present you with a 10000 JPY bill all of a sudden.”

Clerk: "I lost…"
Others: "He's a genius…", "Wonderful!"
Imouto: "NII-SAMA SUBARASHII~"

Maybe the organization(?) behind Art knew about the powers, since well that one cop did leak information and Art landed the information as well. I also dont think it ever said if a minimum holder was affected by this ability. It seemed you also would have needed to really look and be focused on the art at least in a way like the onlookers in the crowd.

Chariot

Maybe the organization(?) behind Art knew about the powers, since well that one cop did leak information and Art landed the information as well. I also dont think it ever said if a minimum holder was affected by this ability. It seemed you also would have needed to really look and be focused on the art at least in a way like the onlookers in the crowd.
It could be just throw away lines, but Nice said explicitly that he wasn't affected because he didn't "get" the picture. Apparently nobody even knew the details to the guys ability or that he wasn't actually blind. The whole explanation was that Nice deduced the details just by watching him slendering through the crowd.
And even if Minimum Holders weren't effected by default, Nice didn't knew that, right? He was just going to the guy and saying "He cool, just as thought, it don't work on me". I guess Murasaki was there as contingency, since he wasn't really looking at the guy and normally Nice would've be more than enough to take a physically weak old man on. But I still think that it's stupid.

jbug617

Banned
Sentai Releases for November
http://sentaifilmworks.tumblr.com/post/92555899638/official-sentai-filmworks-november-2014-release

High School of the Dead Collectors Edition (OVA included) Bluray/DVD Combo Set

Hidamari Sketch x Hoshimittsu Bluray

Jewel Bem Hunter Lime DVD

Natsuyuki Rendezvous Bluray

My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering With My School Romantic Comedy Bluray/DVD

Stella Women’s Academy Bluray

Tari Tari Bluray

I Couldn't Be a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to get a Job Bluray/DVD

Amigami SS Season 1 Bluray/DVD

Log Horizon Collection 1 Bluray/DVD

Bolded are Dubs

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Absolutely fantastic even if it's ba fanfic. Needless info dumps like that are the reason why I haven't been reading the novels as much as I want to

Yeah, too much infodump !

Oniisama suteki dawa~

Just watched 3 eps of gekkan shoujo. Haven't laughed this hard in a long time

Hey hey hey! Nozaki-kun!
i'm glad the studio that adapt it is competent in making 4koma adaptation

Which volume in the light novels does this occur?

it's a fanfic.

jbug617

Banned
I'm only buying I Couldn't Be a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to get a Job and maybe Log Horizon. Amigami and HOTD are also good but I already own.

jbug617

Banned
Apparently the MSRP for the High School of the Dead Collectors Edition is $149.99

Contents are:

Special Book(Illustrations/Short Novels)
Bandana
Parking Sticker
4 Postcards
OVA (Drifters of the Dead)
Clean Opening Animation Clean Closing Animation

Superflat

Sort of a tangent, but while everyone is talking about anime blu-rays, which would you guys say come with the most meaningful bonus features and/or packaging?

I'm sort of interested in starting a modest collection :U

Well I need an idol show of the season and Shounen Hollywood isn't making the cut

Locodol!

About time Hidamari Sketch season 3 came out on BD! Hopefully season 4 will come out a few months after.

Hope they include the Sae & Hiro Graduation Arc with S4 as well since it's been so long.

Apparently the MSRP for the High School of the Dead Collectors Edition is $149.99

Hm... How come they're releasing a CE of this? Haven't they already released the whole series a long time ago? Is it that popular?

jbug617

Banned
Sort of a tangent, but while everyone is talking about anime blu-rays, which would you guys say come with the most meaningful bonus features and/or packaging?

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia came with 2 CD Soundtrack and Japanese commentaries for all episodes

Infinite Stratos came with Soundtrack, Radio IS, Episode commentary with Japanese VA and interview with the Director

For packaging you can't go wrong with NISA Premium Editions (great packaging at affordable prices). Aniplex also has great packaging but very expensive.

Sort of a tangent, but while everyone is talking about anime blu-rays, which would you guys say come with the most meaningful bonus features and/or packaging?!

My favorite sets have been the Persona 3 Spring of Birth BD from Aniplex, Durarara BD with its lunchbox from aniplex, and BLue Exorcist movie BD and tv series BD from aniplex (the artbooks and musics). All nice packaging.

Natsume Book of Friends sets for all the packaging, as well as Anohaha and Daily Lives of High Schools boys from NISA, I like my stack of these six series.

I liked the behind the scenes stuff on bleach and naruto disc sets but they stopped doing tham instead giving production art on disc occasionally :(

Chariot

Hanayamata 01-02

Ponytail Sharky and you darn guys won me over. Time for some moe.

jjkNPqeeH7c4x.png

• Shock! For a moment I thought I am looking some of these YouTube videos that want to dodge the content check.
jIrbs5VpQWpiL.png

• Sharky does look very dazzling in this shot. As long as she don't open her mouth, yes.
jbiGqN29rgv16r.png

• Eh, I don't know about that.
  • Naru is kind of a dick for just let it go, let it go
jbdAzWSI5sMNBq.png

• Someone spoke today about transfer students, but I can actually buy this here. Foreign exchange students could arrive in the middle of the semester, I guess. A comrade of mine went to Japan for a few months as a student.
  • Nasu is kind of a dick for just running away. Sharky just did what she wished for and if she was too harassing in her actions, Nasu just could've said so earlier before she just snapped at poor Sharky.
jbmMG4eNbj6Cjw.png

• Naru is kind of a dick.
jcKghmKkkDFnO.png

• Greetings, Yayandere. I welcome thee.
  • "I have friends who play with me, but I want the one that is the maincharacter."
  • The amount of eyeshadow this girls use is disturbing. I don't think I am very prude, but I really think this is too much.
jqnlP67KEkd6H.png

• Sharky, you're a bro!
  • Although you're incorrect on the loneliness thing. read a bit less Batman and more Teen Titans or something like that
  • She is also freerunning? I want her in the next Mirrors Edge.
  • But that actually explains a bit how she can jump around so much without hurting herself
jb22DB8o1McMAE.png

• Excited Sharky is exciting to watch
jMHquPrA22ovX.png

• "..because I think it's a really difficult thing to do, if you have no legs. But don't worry, I will feed you and care for you~"
jbtJZwB2ac1OuO.png

• This character is dead to me.
I like Sharky's endless positive energy, but I don't think I like Naru and Jelly. Hope the last two get better.

Planetes - 26

And a wonderful ending to a great series. It's a slow burner but the hard sci-fi makes even the early episodes interesting enough and I grew really fond of most of the characters (albeit there are exceptions). Seriously though, the investment into a show with strong characters is just a beautiful thing.

I'm don't like attaching scores but this anime definitely gets my recommendation.

/XX/

Not the ones from the disappointing The Collected Works of Director Hayao Miyazaki BD-BOX, that's for sure! The 'On Your Mark' MV wasn't the only thing stripped from it (as it was explained here; https://twitter.com/Lupinthe3rdcom/status/483849659929358337 and https://twitter.com/Lupinthe3rdcom/status/483853072423088128).

Aside from that every other release from the Ghibli Ga Ippai Collection is beautiful on their picture quality, as is their packaging on itself! Remember, multiple 'dubs' and 'subs' available on every release.

Firemind

Not the ones from the disappointing 'The Collected Works of Director Hayao Miyazaki' BD-BOX, that's for sure! The On Your Mark MV wasn't the only thing stripped from it (as explained here https://twitter.com/Lupinthe3rdcom/status/483849659929358337 and here https://twitter.com/Lupinthe3rdcom/status/483853072423088128).

Aside from that every other release from the Ghibli Ga Ippai Collection is beautiful on their picture quality, as is their packaging on itself!

Good to know. Cheers, mate.

Link Man

Banned
Clannad 21

Damn moonspeak!

VHS? Can we use this to date the story?

I need a gif of that spit take. lol

ilJOgFZl5XMCC.jpg

She carries her music cd library with her at all times?

ibwYW7PSSOl5JS.jpg

Must...resist...

No. I am not going to post the Aliens guy. Bad Kotomi.

Oh goddammit, no.

Fuck.

:(

Stupid forced melodrama.

Clov

In terms of North American releases, the best packaging definitely comes from Aniplex and NISA. As I'm sure you've heard though, Aniplex isn't exactly affordable. If you're willing to pay their prices, you'll probably be satisfied with their releases. NISA is thankfully much more affordable. They have some pretty great stuff.

I have no clue. They released the show and OVA on Bluray (separate releases). Maybe a test to see how well a CE would sell.

I've heard that HotD sold very well for Sentai. They're probably doing this to see if they can milk the series a bit more.

Baccano! 05

More weird magic and people want this guy's alchemy. I think the time skips explain how all the characters came to be on the Flying Pussyfoot and the story that is supposed to be the current event is the robbery on the Pussyfoot.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this anime. I think I like it? I do like the music.

Chariot

Are Chaika and Log Horizon any good?
I liked Log Horizon very much. It has a slow beginning, but after a few episodes it becomes a fun ride. It really feels like a MMORPG, with every being bound by rules. The cast is likable and the maincharacter, Shiro is someone who isn't actually a warrior. He is playing mindgames and is a magnificent bastard with a good heart and a malicious smile.

jbmayBtW3lV81M.jpg

Beware the villain in glasses. (actually the hero)
It's less focused on action and more on economics, politics and building society.

Superflat

They're good b-tier shows. They were both "quiet" shows to me in that they're fun to follow on their own, but easily got lost in the season shuffle for whatever reason. That's how it was for me anyway.

Log Horizon has a lot of heart and great material but lacks compelling direction/art (it can be straight up bland at times, even if the content is good), and Chaika lacks a driving force with its meandering sub-adventures. But if you're able to find a aspect of the show to latch onto, you're in for a pretty good time.

Gazoinks

I really enjoyed Log Horizon. It's a pretty clever show that does a lot with the politics, mechanics, and economics of being in an MMO instead of being mostly action, and Shiro is an awesome protagonist. Takes a little while to ramp up, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom