• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it's alright, I already like you as you :)
When I am someday create a harem I will ask you to fall for me.
Ahh.

j8GEaIY.png

ok

Of course, someone has to serve as a foil to blessed Yamakan:

Everyday I am able to watch anime I thank Yamakan. So many Fractales.

Clov

Is Akiyuki Shinbo even a real person?

I'm pretty sure at one point he was. After directing nearly every Shaft show for almost a decade, what's left of the studio now uses his body Weekend at Bernie's style to direct their productions.

I don't think he's directed anything on his own since at least Madoka. I do think he directed a few arcs of Monogatari Second Season, though. Shaft's actually been using directors other than him lately. For example, they got some guy called Yuki Yase to handle Mekakucity Actors.

You can still ship them. I can totally see something between Nozaki and Sensei.

Ok, that's sounding more positive than I thought. I guess I have to see it.
More Shinbou won't bother me. I even bought Shinbous hentai on DVD. He can't shock or bore me anymore.Yes, the soundtrack is pretty awesome. Good to hear, that it's actually a genre soundtrack.

Given that you're from brazil, how was the anime in terms of content to reality?

It was pretty good actually, lots of visuals nods(money, police cars, manhole covers, etc) I really liked the Sertão, where Hatchin lives at the beginning, in the first episodes and the cities(São Paraíso = São Paulo, Goinia = Goiania) are really well done.
The slums too, on episode 4, that end is pretty believable.
I expected it to continue beacuse of the "A Continuar", but they really just shoot their guns directly at her multiple times.
But there are no
bullfighting arenas, or need of a ID to go to another city and if I remember correctly there was still too much spanish.
. lol
The only thing lacking was politician corruption.

I watched it because I saw on the TV news that there was an anime based on Brazil.

Rhapsody

Banned
Oonoma emulates Shinbou's style a lot, but ef was still pretty good in terms of artistic direction.
I liked how he did Baka to Test though. Not really too overboard.

Although S2, there was an episode that pulled an ef.

Chariot

:3

It was pretty good actually, lots of visuals nods(money, police cars, manhole covers, etc) I really liked the Sertão, where Hatchin lives at the beginning, in the first episodes and the cities(São Paraíso = São Paulo, Goinia = Goiania) are really well done.
The slums too, on episode 4, that end is pretty believable.
I expected it to continue beacuse of the "A Continuar", but they really just shoot their guns directly at her multiple times.
But there are no
bullfighting arenas, or need of a ID to go to another city and if I remember correctly there was still too much spanish.
. lol
The only thing lacking was politician corruption.

I watched it because I saw on the TV news that there was an anime based on Brazil.
Thanks for sharing your impressions, it's very interesting to read about that by someone who knows the land.

Don't worry, I defend our honour.

Quasar

As good as an anime comedy could get it'll never reach western comedy levels such as arrested development. The funniest anime comedy that works for western fans that I've seen is DMC. But it's hard to not laugh when a metal singer makes the tokyo tower have an orgasm or he's raping a tambourine.

Bah. That was the about the unfunniest thing I ever saw. I never got what people saw in that show.

Personally for me the biggest barrier is that I'm reading subs which I think hurts my reaction to anime comedy. Thats not to say all comedy fails. I mean minami-ke, what I'd consider the closest to a western style family sitcom, works for me.

Narag

Haha! Anime streaming has come a long way, man. Every show I want to watch airing in Japan currently is on a legal streaming platform -- and it feels good! It wasn't long ago that anime fans who wanted to stay current didn't have a choice.

Yeah, still surprised we even ended up with JoJo of all things. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but the naming conventions made it seem like such a long shot.

Quasar

This is true for anime, not too sure about Manga though.

Pretty much the only current manga source is the handful of books crunchyroll does. Though obviously a tiny subset of manga does to get published in print eventually. Its even worse with light novels. Same is probably true of Japanese music, given how little has distribution in the west.

As is obvious there is demand there, but content owners are uninterested in letting people pay for it. So the internet finds a way.

Narag

Eh, that's more like general anime fans getting called out than this specific community. I'd wager that half those people don't even know this thread exists.

Doesn't really matter to most people as anyone that watches anime on the forum is usually conflated with the regulars here to form some nebulous AnimeGAF that threatens society.

Chariot

We get collectively called out all the time. Dat avatar judgement.
Yeah, it's sickening.
But then again, even some parts of animefans seem to have no idea what they're doing, why should outsiders.

Eh, that's more like general anime fans getting called out than this specific community. I'd wager that half those people don't even know this thread exists.
I think he just called out anime fans in general. It's just not a wide stretch to think or to know that Anime and MangaGAF exist.

Jarmel

Banned
Wow.
How much is actually true?

I can only remember how much Fractale killed my dreams.

He definitely wore a suit at the convention. All the guests were wearing Hawaiian shirts and casual clothes but he had a full blown suit on.
Well, if even mods write GuP OVA impressions several weeks before the release of the BDs. It's kind of obvious that piracy is a thing here.

It's all duckroll's fault.

Superflat

Well, if even mods write GuP OVA impressions several weeks before the release of the BDs. It's kind of obvious that piracy is a thing here.

Piracy will always be a thing with niche entertainment primarily made for consumers in a different country unfortunately (which is a whole other subtopic of endless grey discussion), because there are still small things that fall through the cracks, and people will want them even if the market at large "doesn't care".

But I would say the "need" to pirate anime is super low now; I would guess by like 80-90% (not scientific obviously) judging by how much gets licensed to stream.

Stahp. I didn't post that quote for us to go down this path. -_-

Can't stop the signal

We'll just have to settle for this. Reminds me I still haven't watched it.

What did I just watch

I am so behind on this thread and I've only been gone a few hours.

Yo Linkman. Nice impression of Clannad 21. Not really sure how you took the episode as a whole, but your almost out of the first season!!! I am sooo excited for you. Hopefully Episode 22 and 23 give you what you want before After Story.

And Akio is still the best yo!

Jintor

I've always viewed piracy as part of the the path of least resistance method of consumption. The trick is to make easier paths so desire can be channeled legitimately (and profitably)

Quasar

Piracy will always be a thing with niche entertainment made for consumers, unfortunately (which is a whole other subtopic of endless grey discussion) because there are still small things that fall through the cracks, and people will want them even if the market at large "doesn't care".

But I would say the "need" to pirate anime is super low now; I would guess by like 80-90% (not scientific obviously) judging by how much gets licensed to stream.

Seems like about the only things that falls through the cracks are ovas and specials that get bundled with light novels and such in japan.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I am so behind on this thread and I've only been gone a few hours.

Yo Linkman. Nice impression of Clannad 21. Not really sure how you took the episode as a whole, but your almost out of the first season!!! I am sooo excited for you. Hopefully Episode 22 and 23 give you what you want before After Story.

And Akio is still the best yo!

At a certain point you just have to let the pages of the past go or you will never be au currant.

Pretty much the only current manga source is the handful of books crunchyroll does. Though obviously a tiny subset of manga does to get published in print eventually. Its even worse with light novels. Same is probably true of Japanese music, given how little has distribution in the west.

As is obvious there is demand there, but content owners are uninterested in letting people pay for it. So the internet finds a way.

I see, so it's bad.

Can someone explain to me why the 9 High arc in Mahouka is so fucking long? Like... why?!

I thought it is long because it gives good amount of attention to other characters in the series to participate in events, showing off their magic and abilities, and keep it from being a Tatsuya do all type of affair. So many events animated and yet to be animated make it my favorite arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom