• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link Man

Banned
Long post warning!

Clannad 23 |EXTRA|

This awkward romance is kind of adorable.

No one's around. Except maybe an accident-prone tsundere on her moped.

No Sunohara? Hopefully he makes an appearance.

Casual Fuko reference.

Oh, there he is.

Yep, saw that coming from a mile away.

Did Akio just go :cnet for a moment?

"How is it?"
"It looks yummy!"
lol

Jealousy?

Wow, Mei is a bit devious.

"You act like my bread never sells..."
"Sanae, I love you!"
"Thank you!"
lol, Akio da bes

lol Sunohara. NTR'd by his own sister.

I, uh, wow.

Mei is such a bad actor.

I've just realized it. Akio believes he's in a shonen. He's Wrong Genre Savvy.

Oh god, this is so bad (in a good way!).

ixT9o1XS6hmNP.jpg

Ah, that was really cute!
Except for the fact that they littered. :[

CorvoSol

Corvo here's the thing, most people don't care enough about the Gundam continuinity in order to suffer through a bad 50 episode show.

Any sort of general narrative stuff could easily be Wiki'd. One day I'll try to suffer through the show but in no way does a person missing ZZ affect their enjoyment of later Gundam shows.

But it isn't bad!

And you could wiki anything. And I disagree again that skipping the show doesn't effect things. There's no way you can possibly enjoy character x in Unicorn the same way as someone who gets what's going on there.

Imagine if someone just wiki'd the first Gundam. Would they really appreciate Char and Amuro's reunion in Zeta the same as someone who had watched the show and really got what was going on?

For what it's worth, though, I did specifically state in that post that it was written mainly for people who DO care about the series and its continuity.

Long post warning!

Clannad 23 |EXTRA|

This awkward romance is kind of adorable.

No one's around. Except maybe an accident-prone tsundere on her moped.

No Sunohara? Hopefully he makes an appearance.

Casual Fuko reference.

Oh, there he is.

Yep, saw that coming from a mile away.

Did Akio just go :cnet for a moment?

"How is it?"
"It looks yummy!"
lol

Jealousy?

Wow, Mei is a bit devious.

"You act like my bread never sells..."
"Sanae, I love you!"
"Thank you!"
lol, Akio da bes

lol Sunohara. NTR'd by his own sister.

I, uh, wow.

Mei is such a bad actor.

I've just realized it. Akio believes he's in a shonen. He's Wrong Genre Savvy.

Oh god, this is so bad (in a good way!).

ixT9o1XS6hmNP.jpg

Ah, that was really cute!
Except for the fact that they littered. :[

Lol. Glad you liked it! :3

Episode 23 is like the cherry that tops off Clannad S1 in the best ways.

Now the hard choice. OVA now or later?

Finalow

Dantalian no Shoka - END

uhm, the fuck did I watch? A prequel to the light novels or the manga? I mean, this show just went nowhere. almost no explanations, a lot of dumb stuff "let's read dah book and call it a day", especially the last episode was seriously bad.
I might have enjoyed a couple of fillers and episode 11, which was pretty ok and actually explained some stuff - but that's it.

not an awful show but yeah, that was pretty bad. Gainax pls

Link Man

Banned
Lol. Glad you liked it! :3

Episode 23 is like the cherry that tops off Clannad S1 in the best ways.

Now the hard choice. OVA now or later?

I actually enjoyed it more than episode 22. I think I prefer the show when it's light-hearted, rather than heavy drama that feels forced.

I think I'll save the OVA for last, per your suggestion.

Jarmel

Banned
But it isn't bad!

And you could wiki anything. And I disagree again that skipping the show doesn't effect things. There's no way you can possibly enjoy character x in Unicorn the same way as someone who gets what's going on there.

Imagine if someone just wiki'd the first Gundam. Would they really appreciate Char and Amuro's reunion in Zeta the same as someone who had watched the show and really got what was going on?

Or they could just watch the truncated movies. Also I know what you're referring to in Unicorn but it's really pretty minor in that I'm sure a person's enjoyment might be elevated due to prior knowledge but the story and characters in Unicorn have their own arcs and narratives there are complete inside the show.

Telling somebody to essentially suffer through roughly 20 hours just so they have background info on side characters isn't really realistic.

Now if as to the quality of the show, I'll eventually give it another whirl but Tomino sucks ass at doing goofy. He sucked at it in Overman, that was the worst elements in Turn A, and the handful I saw in ZZ were pretty bad. The comedic elements aren't really that funny or amusing and all you're left with is some stupid hijinks. Now I can't pass judgement on ZZ as a whole but from what I've seen, a high number of people have a high chance of not liking it.

Quasar

Finished my watch through of Moyashimon last night. Season two, or rather the back end, didn't do it for me as much, but I would have watched the teased third that I guess never happened. Guess I need to check the manga out.

Quasar

The tournament has been like ten days long already. Also, the first arc was long too.

And personally I've enjoyed the pace, but I know I'm an outlier in that regard.

Meanwhile I'm a bit annoyed its taken two episodes of Baby Steps to just get to the first set point of a three set game.

Narag

Now I can't pass judgement on ZZ as a whole but from what I've seen, a high number of people have a high chance of not liking it.

I intend to finally give ZZ a proper shot sometime but what initially turned me off to it was the tonal whiplash when coming directly off of Zeta. I've never really been certain if that's been fair on my part for being irritated at it not being what I wanted it to be.

fertygo

Great post corvo, but from what i'm seeing the don't watch ZZ camp has vastly reduced since unicorn got OVA, thanks to Marida Cruz.

Vylash

Happiness Charge Precure 23

itRdI290V012p.gif
ib0nUePif8DKS6.gif

Oh my god, that episode was fantastic. Hikawa being a super cheap shopper and Hime being a spoiled brat was ridiculously entertaining, they have much better chemistry than I was expecting. Some training camp next time which should be even better. Also this first gif is pretty much me whenever I get a good Kancolle ship so I expect to be using it forever.

Quasar

You forgot shonen jump, which is also available. Yen press is the only US publisher invested in light novels, but yeah. The large majority of things being discuses in the manga topic are not available legally in English, yet.

It is unfortunate. About the only morally good option is to import the japanese manga/magazine/light novels and then just read the pirated translations.

Mature

I think I have but it has been ages, the memories are very faded.
They're certainly worth a re-watch. I post this clip ad nauseam, but it's a perfect example of the intoxicating and brilliant atmosphere that the two films are wrapped in.

Time you earned your stripes, man. The ride from MSG to Unicorn at the very least.
But I got too much on my plate already!

Been thinking about it too. I was less interested due to it being a separate continuity from the movies and original OVA.
I wouldn't let that dissuade you at all. The continuity is sort of an after thought in Patlabor anyway. The TV series has some amazing gems in it, and the overarching story is entertaining too. There's some episodes in the show— namely ones with Oshii on screenplay— that no one should miss.

CorvoSol

Telling somebody to essentially suffer through roughly 20 hours just so they have background info on side characters isn't really realistic.

I think you've misunderstood the point of the post. I'm not really saying you can't enjoy Unicorn without having seen ZZ. I acknowledge that you can. I'm saying that if you're running planning to watch every other show in the UC Time Line, you should watch ZZ as well. The point is you shouldn't skip over a large section of the story, not that you can't survive if you do.

As to the comedy, I repeat what I said before, that the show gets much more serious around the time the second opening begins. People like to pretend like Zeta has no humor or that ZZ has no seriousness, but this isn't the case.

Take episode 25 of ZZ for instance. This episode is about a group of Zeon remnants who run out to fight the Gundam team as they're passing through. There's a battle and the remnants are wiped out. The episode ends with a featured soldier's wife just crying into the night at the grave marker for her husband. It's exactly the kind of stark, bleak, and serious thing that Gundam is known for. From there you have a woman who is insane and talking with her husband's helmet while trying to kill the Gundam team. In the end of her episode, she's been deprived of even the helmet and is stuck sitting alone in the dark. After that things get worse.

ZZ Gundam demonstrates the same sense of the harsh realities of war for which Mobile Suit Gundam and Zeta Gundam are known. The early episodes are almost misleading in their silliness because after a certain point the joke dies off and the show becomes every bit the grim war story that its predecessors are.

Where ZZ Gundam differs from Zeta Gundam is that at this time around the cast actually learns from its mistakes and grows.

But even if you don't need ZZ Gundam for the references, I remind you that Zeta Gundam ends on a massive cliffhanger. Skipping to Char's Counter Attack means skipping over what happens to the end of the Zeta storyline. Haman's still on the loose. The AEUG is crippled and the Earth is defenseless. Kamille's down and out and the Argama is all but unarmed. While later Gundam shows deal less directly with the events of Zeta in that sense, it should be a no-brainer that one big reason not to skip ZZ Gundam is simply to know how everything laid out in Zeta ends.

It's like reading up to the moment Bilbo finds the ring in Gollum's Lair and then skipping all the way to Fellowship of the Ring. Sure, you don't NEED to know what happened with the dragon and Thorin's quest, but wouldn't you like to know how the story you were reading ended?

Momo Kyun Sword 3
Didn't even seriously watch it. I just played it in the background while playing on my new 3DS XL. Still could tell there was numerous service shots as every time I would glance over, there would be one. Now there's a third faction too for some reason.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Momo Kyun Sword 3
Didn't even seriously watch it. I just played it in the background while playing on my new 3DS XL. Still could tell there was numerous service shots as every time I would glance over, there would be one. Now there's a third faction too for some reason.

I will credit Ikki Tousen for smartening up and ditching the pretense with Season 3 and actually providing nudity.

Jarmel

Banned
I intend to finally give ZZ a proper shot sometime but what initially turned me off to it was the tonal whiplash when coming directly off of Zeta. I've never really been certain if that's been fair on my part for being irritated at it not being what I wanted it to be.

Give it a whirl, some people here like OKG. I really don't like Tomino as a director and after Zeta and Turn-A, I've put in my dues.

I think you've missed the point of the post. I'm not really saying you can't enjoy Unicorn without having seen ZZ. I acknowledge that you can. I'm saying that if you're running planning to watch every other show in the UC Time Line, you should watch ZZ as well. The point is you shouldn't skip over a large section of the story, not that you can't survive if you do.

As to the comedy, I repeat what I said before, that the show gets much more serious around the time the second opening begins. People like to pretend like Zeta has no humor or that ZZ has no seriousness, but this isn't the case.

Take episode 25 of ZZ for instance. This episode is about a group of Zeon remnants who run out to fight the Gundam team as they're passing through. There's a battle and the remnants are wiped out. The episode ends with a featured soldier's wife just crying into the night at the grave marker for her husband. It's exactly the kind of stark, bleak, and serious thing that Gundam is known for. From there you have a woman who is insane and talking with her husband's helmet while trying to kill the Gundam team. In the end of her episode, she's been deprived of even the helmet and is stuck sitting alone in the dark. After that things get worse.

ZZ Gundam demonstrates the same sense of the harsh realities of war for which Mobile Suit Gundam and Zeta Gundam are known. The early episodes are almost misleading in their silliness because after a certain point the joke dies off and the show becomes every bit the grim war story that its predecessors are.

Where ZZ Gundam differs from Zeta Gundam is that at this time around the cast actually learns from its mistakes and grows.

But even if you don't need ZZ Gundam for the references, I remind you that Zeta Gundam ends on a massive cliffhanger. Skipping to Char's Counter Attack means skipping over what happens to the end of the Zeta storyline. Haman's still on the loose. The AEUG is crippled and the Earth is defenseless. Kamille's down and out and the Argama is all but unarmed. While later Gundam shows deal less directly with the events of Zeta in that sense, it should be a no-brainer that one big reason not to skip ZZ Gundam is simply to know how everything laid out in Zeta ends.

It's like reading up to the moment Bilbo finds the ring in Gollum's Lair and then skipping all the way to Fellowship of the Ring. Sure, you don't NEED to know what happened with the dragon and Thorin's quest, but wouldn't you like to know how the story you were reading ended?

I never really viewed the ending of Zeta as one big cliffhanger. Sure there were some threads left outstanding but the core story and most of the main cast had a pretty resolute ending.

Again my issues with ZZ have very little to do with the jokes or it being goofy but the fact that it was poorly done. Maybe the show does get better in the later episodes but the first few are unfunny, poorly directed, and overall flat out boring.

This is probably ideal:
TV Series -> New OVA Series -> OVA Series -> Movie 1 -> Movie 2

I did this a bit flipped. I watched the OVAs first as they work as pretty good character introductions. Then just did the TV timeline stuff.

CorvoSol

To be perfectly honest I hated ZZ at the start, too. 'Course, I also hated Zeta and CCA at that point.

I never really viewed the ending of Zeta as one big cliffhanger. Sure there were some threads left outstanding but the core story and most of the main cast had a pretty resolute ending.

Again my issues with ZZ have very little to do with the jokes or it being goofy but the fact that it was poorly done. Maybe the show does get better in the later episodes but the first few are unfunny, poorly directed, and overall flat out boring.

I disagree about Zeta being resolved in any way, but I will agree that some of the early episodes of ZZ, especially the first episode, are really rough. But I think to judge the entire series upon a rough beginning is a bad thing to do, and I really do think the show improves significantly over its run.

Eureka Seven - 35

What really struck me in this episode was that talk Renton had with Eureka when they were hiding. It really shows just how much he's matured from the past episodes.

Like, 14 episodes ago this guy ran away because he didn't want to kill any more people. In this episode, Renton's comforting Eureka on this very issue. It all feels right because he understands her pain, having experienced it himself when he ran away.

Also, wat? Holland and Dewey are bros?

Wrap it all up with a shining team-spirit filled moment, and another great episode of this show is finished.

Syrinx

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 1

If you're gonna start somewhere, why not with a poorly-made student film with a smarmy narrator?

Also does the cat really talk?

Andrew J.

“Why You Should Not Skip ZZ Gundam”

I'm not going to read all that.

I am going to watch ZZ Gundam later this year so I can fairly evaluate Unicorn in time for AOTY voting, assuming I can find the time. I've just watched a few minutes of the opening recap episode, and all I can say is that God the OP is obnoxious.

Mature

Is this a "save the best for last" type of deal?
Haha, got me. I mean, it's just the two continuities side by side. Doing the Original OVA/Movie Continuity -> TV Series/New OVA Continuity would also be fine but, I dunno, I just liked having a better picture in my mind of all the characters and their personalities before moving into the films. Either works!

I'm not going to read all that.

I am going to watch ZZ Gundam later this year so I can fairly evaluate Unicorn in time for AOTY voting, assuming I can find the time. I've just watched a few minutes of the opening recap episode, and all I can say is that God the OP is obnoxious.

You talkin' bad about ANIME JA NAI?

jgminto

Hunter x Hunter 139
zngkK4R.png

Awww! While Alluka's power is totally creepy, her relationship with her brother is so adorable. I hope we'll get a happy ending for both them and Gon, I'll be pretty devastated if something happens to her. Also cool to get more trans characters in anime, Togashi has done some cool stuff with gender with some of the characters.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Haha, got me. I mean, it's just the two continuities side by side. Doing the Original OVA/Movie Continuity -> TV Series/New OVA Continuity would also be fine but, I dunno, I just liked having a better picture in my mind of all the characters and their personalities before moving into the films. Either works!

Sounds like a tag team situation to me.

I actually enjoyed it more than episode 22. I think I prefer the show when it's light-hearted, rather than heavy drama that feels forced.

I think I'll save the OVA for last, per your suggestion.

I will concede that some S1's drama is a little forced. After Story does it a lot better.

I like when the show weaves back and forth between light hearted comedy and drama. That's when Clannad is at it's best.

I look forward to your After Story impressions. :)

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 1

If you're gonna start somewhere, why not with a poorly-made student film with a smarmy narrator?

Also does the cat really talk?

Watching it in airing order. Heh.

Do yourself a favor and skip Endless Eight. Don't be a sucker like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom