• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Rokujouma no shinryakusha - 01
About the picture above:
I really wish some studio would find some créative use for this. A light beam ? here ?at NIGHT ? in a room with a lightbulb ? How the hell is that possible ?

"Beam of light that blocks out faces in a photo" has to be one of the most overused anime tropes of all time by now.

Rhapsody

Banned
Tomoyo OVA is the only one of the two worth watching.

Kyou OVA had too much Ryou and not enough Kyou...

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 1

If you're gonna start somewhere, why not with a poorly-made student film with a smarmy narrator?

Also does the cat really talk?

Airing order's pretty good. Some people will disagree, but I like the TV airing order first time through.

Tomoyo and Kyou OVAs should be watched now instead of later because they're the best girls of Clannad.

Sure....

Tomoyo OVA is the only one of the two worth watching. Kyou is good, but her arc is terrible and the episode reflects this.

I agree that the Tomoyo one is certainly better than the Kyou one.

------------------------

I also didn't realize this. Don't know how I missed it....

Clannad Wiki said:
In his spare time, Akio plays baseball with children in the small park next to the bakery, and (spoiler?)
indulges in the Gundam fandom.

jgminto

I'm really excited for that new Ghibli movie, it looks really heart warming and I'm glad that they're doing their brand of friendship and romance with two characters of the same gender for once.

mhs004

So the Hunter x Hunter episode basically confirms that Alluka is a calamity from the dark continent right?

Not alluka per say but the "something" that has taken over alluka most likely is. They say that something is from somewhere else and the only exotic location so far in the HxH universe is the dark continent. I think Alluka herself is just a normal human but has been invaded by something. Maybe a nen parasite of some sort? Whatever it is they have hinted multiple times that there are two beings sharing alluka's body; alluka and something.

Rhapsody

Banned
CErBU8e.png

The thing is Tomoyo and Kyou are
strong independent girls. They don't need Tomoya to make them better. Nagisa and Tomoya make each other stronger and better as cheesy as that sounds it's true
. The best choice was chosen.

The real way.

I watched it in chronological order all the way through and watched the first 12 episodes in broadcast order. I liked the chronological order better.

Link Man

Banned
Mononoke 1

Quite unlike anything I've seen. This episode uses lowered framerates and confusing layouts to great effect, disorienting the viewer and giving the whole experience a surreal aura. Effectively creepy.

Mature

Urusei Yatsura - 41
NKgKHYS.png

"The Loan... the Loan! I'm the Loan Ranger!" I laughed out loud...

This episode managed to be pretty interesting despite it's pretty simple premise. Lum and Ten are excited about a typhoon and proceed to muck things up. There was a couple of cute moments that were very "oshii". Specifically when the background went away and there was just the droplets floating in the room with the reflection of the candle. Ataru trying to save Lum to the point of drowning was pretty telling of his character, but it's sort of expected at this point.

Urusei Yatsura - 42
Lum and Ten get drunk off of... pickled plums. The animation in this episode seemed a lot of different. The character acting was notably more vibrant, crazy, and better animated. Maybe it's the specific sakkan? Anyway, this is more proof of concept with the whole episode taking place in the school and the gags just being centered around a simple premise. The music video sequence in the middle of the episode was unexpected and well animated. I hope we get to see drunk Lum again— I thought the voice actress did a great job with it.

CorvoSol

Why is her face all in the bottom 1/3 of her head?

I have a theory that in Clannad the mouth and nose are all one chasm with two small openings. This accounts for the high pitched squeals that all girls make. The eyes clearly take up the majority of the skull, which explains the lack of brainpower that any given character will exhibit.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I have a theory that in Clannad the mouth and nose are all one chasm with two small openings. This accounts for the high pitched squeals that all girls make. The eyes clearly take up the majority of the skull, which explains the lack of brainpower that any given character will exhibit.
Just a bit of video editing and this would be something hilarious to watch.

Haha, got me. I mean, it's just the two continuities side by side. Doing the Original OVA/Movie Continuity -> TV Series/New OVA Continuity would also be fine but, I dunno, I just liked having a better picture in my mind of all the characters and their personalities before moving into the films. Either works!
You probably don't remember but I already watched the original OVA and the first movie back in 2012. Guess I should watch the TV series and then do the second movie.

fertygo

Happiness Charge Precure - 25

9VsTtPQ.jpg

Shining Fingasssssssss!

The love subplot turning out more fun than I expected, must because that Seiji is actually likeable for boy character in kiddie show, and Hikawa also surprisingly good addition for party member after act like a pain before this, love her bro moment with Seiji in this episode.. YuuYuu still the best tho

LrfC7JI.jpg

Dat smug face.

Having said tho this subplot still can goes south fast with Hime now directly involved >_>

Pocket Monsters X/Y 35

h5bV5WMl.jpg

He doesn't really need such an entrance but why the hell not.

Ace of Diamond 40

With how long this match has been, this felt like a great series finale episode.

Shounen Hollywood 03

It's not so bad, yet barely interesting. I could end up dropping this and not even notice.

Tokyo ESP 02

It was pretty boring at the start but I did start enjoying it once the powers started taking a central role again.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC V 14

Oh good, we're already done with I'm not a special snowflake anymore. Now can the side characters stop being so annoying.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Urusei Yatsura - 41
NKgKHYS.png

"The Loan... the Loan! I'm the Loan Ranger!" I laughed out loud...

This episode managed to be pretty interesting despite it's pretty simple premise. Lum and Ten are excited about a typhoon and proceed to muck things up. There was a couple of cute moments that were very "oshii". Specifically when the background went away and there was just the droplets floating in the room with the reflection of the candle. Ataru trying to save Lum to the point of drowning was pretty telling of his character, but it's sort of expected at this point.

Urusei Yatsura - 42
Lum and Ten get drunk off of... pickled plums. The animation in this episode seemed a lot of different. The character acting was notably more vibrant, crazy, and better animated. Maybe it's the specific sakkan? Anyway, this is more proof of concept with the whole episode taking place in the school and the gags just being centered around a simple premise. The music video sequence in the middle of the episode was unexpected and well animated. I hope we get to see drunk Lum again— I thought the voice actress did a great job with it.
Both of these episodes had sequences where it decided to just hit pause and do something neat, actually.

Soma

Sabagebu! 1-2

It's fun. I like that everyone in this show is at least a little bit insane especially the main character. I dunno, not really in love with it though. It's funny but it's not really something that's making me want more. At least it's quite a bit better than C³-bu despite being a much wackier take on the whole airsoft club thing (C³-bu did have a pretty sweet OST though). Probably just gonna put this on hold for the time being.

Happiness Charge Precure - 24

The love subplot turning out more fun than I expected, must because that Seiji is actually likeable for boy character in kiddie show, and Hikawa also surprisingly good addition for party member after act like a pain before this, love her bro moment with Seiji in this episode.. YuuYuu still the best tho

Having said tho this subplot still can goes south fast with Hime now directly involved >_>

Well there won't be any kissing, that'll be for the movies, in which won't happen because this isn't a movie filled with pent up love desires like GoGo's movie.

Mature

Urusei Yatsura - 43
eV2sHRu.png

Why do most of the cats have eyepatches..?

While I was watching this I thought it was a reference to Bagi, the Monster of Mighty Nature (though I've never seen it), but looking it up it seems to predate Bagi. Even an uncultured pleb like me could tell that the boxing match was a Ashita no Joe parody though. There was some really humorous imagery in this episode. Specifically all the drawings of the cats running by the hundreds.

Jex

Corvo here's the thing, most people don't care enough about the Gundam continuinity in order to suffer through a bad 50 episode show.

Any sort of general narrative stuff could easily be Wiki'd. One day I'll try to suffer through the show but in no way does a person missing ZZ affect their enjoyment of later Gundam shows.

I mean, I don't endorse or condone WIkipeding shows, at all, but I really didn't care for anything I saw in the first few episodes. It left me feeling cold, so I just read up on the show. One day I might go back and check the series out, but it's a huge time commitment that I'm not prepared to make for something I didn't care for.

Of course, I'm not really a core UC lover either, after sitting through all of Zeta I'd recommend people skip that as well as ZZ.

Link Man

Banned
Mononoke 2

This OP is really good, as is most of the sound and music.

Well, if I described the last episode as surreal and disorienting, then I'd have to describe this episode as holy hell batshit coocoo for cocoa puffs, with a side of what the fuck. And I mean that in the best way possible. I welcome the weirdness, and this was amazing.

CorvoSol

Of course, I'm not really a core UC lover either, after sitting through all of Zeta I'd recommend people skip that as well as ZZ.

Well, I mean, I did specify that I was aiming at people who were specifically interested in getting to know UC Gundam. I attempted to make my target audience clear.

Code Geass R2 - 25

Well, at least everything went according to plan. I don't know why I stopped at episode 18 or 19, but at least I have finished now. To whoever said it was like Death Note, yes it was, even the ending. Why does every show with a plot like this end with
the guy with all the power planning to change the world dying? I wish there was an anime that had them live.
Don't recommend one to me, or else the ending will be spoiled :p

So now I don't know what to watch. Madoka Magica movie? Ghost in the Shell? Something on my dropped/watching but not caught up/on hold list? Something else?

My list is here: List

Superflat

Code Geass R2 - 25

Well, at least everything went according to plan. I don't know why I stopped at episode 18 or 19, but at least I have finished now. To whoever said it was like Death Note, yes it was, even the ending. Why does every show with a plot like this end with
the guy with all the power planning to change the world dying? I wish there was an anime that had them live.
Don't recommend one to me, or else the ending will be spoiled :p

So now I don't know what to watch. Madoka Magica movie? Ghost in the Shell? Something on my dropped/watching but not caught up/on hold list? Something else?

My list is here: List

Seems like you enjoy action adventure titles. I would say Gurren Lagann would be fine series to get watching if you haven't seen it yet.

If you haven't seen Madoka Magica yet I would recommend the series instead of the recap movies. I prefer the breaks and pacing of the series, and the total run time isn't going to be that much longer.

the "cute girls" genre doesn't seem to be anything you're into but I'd say Girls und Panzer is a "cute girl" anime with great action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom