• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

I feel like people typically judge me a lot. Don't know why.

I totally do and will never change.
It's ok Derpy, I like you.

The thing is Tomoyo and Kyou are
strong independent girls. They don't need Tomoya to make them better. Nagisa and Tomoya make each other stronger and better as cheesy as that sounds it's true
. The best choice was chosen.
That's not how relationships work. You can be a strong independent woman and still love somebody and go in the relationship with somebody. It doesen't need to improve you. You only need happyness and maybe recreation.
Although I have to say that Kyou was maybe a bit too submissive in her OVA, but I do love the Tomoyo (best gurl) one.

smh So much Clannad hate.
Every time. Clannad is like the anime of anime.

Tomoyo is pretty cool

I maintain that the best possible ending to Clannad AS was
Ushio surviving and Kyou getting Tomoya on the rebound

Kyou OVA/route was ruined by far too much Ryou.
Interesting thought, the story writes itself. I wasn't a fan on how it was solved at the end, your idea would've been probably way better.

That's like the worst "cute" character design ever.
I dunno, I hate some shoujo design way more. Granted, the one I refer to are only in manga as far as I know. I can't name one right now, but I mean the category of mangaka that thinks Tanemura's eyes are too small and lack glitter.

Ah I see. Guess there's nothin to lose by going straight into the movie then! Everyone chooses a side eventually.

Whoops, I forgot to add Madoka to my list when I added Code Geass. But yeah, I went through the series yesterday. It is almost 3 a.m. so I probably shouldn't get into a movie.

You're right, I am not really into "cute girl" anime. I see Gurren Lagann has mechas, which I don't think too fondly of, but previous shows have surprised me (Code Geass, Valvrave). I will try it out, thanks.

Vylash

Happiness Charge Precure 24

Hikawa shooting down that stupid "Precure can't fall in love" rule was so amazing, I never liked the idea of that being taken away from them, especially with them risking their lives to save the world and all. This weird love triangle thing that's building is actually being done very well, I don't know if I really want it butI'm at least interested in it. Also the Precure were kinda jerks this time, the bad guys weren't even doing anything wrong and they just went and beat them up, sickening. Next time is Blue x Megumi and Seiji x Hime plus some random girl who looks like she's confessing to him, w e l p.

Rhapsody

Banned
Interesting thought, the story writes itself. I wasn't a fan on how it was solved at the end, your idea would've been probably way better.

What didn't you like about it?
Or did you prefer it didn't have any super natural events happen I'm guessing?

Chariot

Guess I do have a problem....bought myself a .moe domain.
My judgement of you depends on how you will use it.
What didn't you like about it?
Or did you prefer it didn't have any super natural events happen I'm guessing?
Yes,
I am not a great fan of the supernatural turn. While I am glad for the family, I think it would be more powerful if they would played it straight from there with Tomoya being a single widow and raise Ushio himself with underlining, that this is family too.

jmans idea is even better. Kyou already has some kind of relationship with Ushio and was the girl where it was the most shown in the television show that she loved Tomoyo. So it would defnitly a nice topic to have a stepmom.

Happiness Charge Precure 24

Hikawa shooting down that stupid "Precure can't fall in love" rule was so amazing, I never liked the idea of that being taken away from them, especially with them risking their lives to save the world and all. This weird love triangle thing that's building is actually being done very well, I don't know if I really want it butI'm at least interested in it. Also the Precure were kinda jerks this time, the bad guys weren't even doing anything wrong and they just went and beat them up, sickening. Next time is Blue x Megumi and Seiji x Hime plus some random girl who looks like she's confessing to him, w e l p.

That's nothing compared to the GoGo team beating the shit out of Bunbee because they thought he stole their cake.

Anywho, random girl isn't random! She's one of Meg's friends, who initially said she liked someone (like ep 8 or 9)

Vylash

That's nothing compared to the GoGo team beating the shit out of Bunbee because they thought he stole their cake.

Anywho, random girl isn't random! She's one of Meg's friends, who initially said she liked someone (like ep 8 or 9)

Oh yeah...Megumi has friends! I totally forgot about them

Rhapsody

Banned
Yes,
I am not a great fan of the supernatural turn. While I am glad for the family, I think it would be more powerful if they would played it straight from there with Tomoya being a single widow and raise Ushio himself with underlining, that this is family too.

jmans idea is even better. Kyou already has some kind of relationship with Ushio and was the girl where it was the most shown in the television show that she loved Tomoyo. So it would defnitly a nice topic to have a stepmom.

Ah, well I guess since it's Key, it's basically guaranteed to
have supernatural stuff happen.

I think their only work that didn't was Tomoyo After, but I don't really recommend reading that...

Chariot

Ah, well I guess since it's Key, it's basically guaranteed to
have supernatural stuff happen.

I think their only work that didn't was Tomoyo After, but I don't really recommend reading that...
Yeah, but I just wanna say, that this story didn't needed that, really. It worked in Kanon and Air wouldn't even work without it, but Clannad's were kinda unnessary.

Tomoyo After... is it smut?

Chariot

For the past couple of weeks, it has been strongly rumored that Toshio Suzuki, Ghibli's producer and co-founder, is now seriously considering the closure of the anime production division of the internationally acclaimed studio, after the retirement of his long-time colleague Hayao Miyazaki. In the
latest episode of his "Ghibli Asemamire" podcast posted on June 27 before the release of the film, he
actually said that the future of Ghibli depended on the results (both box office and critics) of When Marnie
Was There.
Urgh. Are ghibli's finances so bad?

Rhapsody

Banned
Oh well :(
Could you give me a summary of the ending?

Major spoilers of Tomoyo After:

Basically he gets into an accident that affects his memories causing them to relapse. So he forgets almost everything along with Tomoyo. She does her best to make him remember but eventually he'll forget everything again. Tomoyo decides to undergo surgery because he wants to remember who Tomoyo is. After the operation,he finally remembers her. What happens is it wasn't a complete success and they know he's going to die soon. So Tomoya and Tomoyo get married before that happens.

After Tomoya dies, Tomoyo says she'll love him forever.

Basically Tomoyo After was a story with nothing happy happening at the end. Maeda went for an ending where things don't work out.

Edit: Basically due to the reception, supposedly in the PS2 version
Tomoya doesn't die, and it was just another coma. And then he wakes up

Chariot

I have no idea, but I wouldn't think so. If anything I imagine that would be a decision made based on the fear/realisation that non Hayao Ghibli films don't sell.
I hope they make another that doesn't fail. Hayao was great, but there has to be another with a vision. It would sad if the studio would end with him.

Major spoilers of Tomoyo After:

Basically he gets into an accident that affects his memories causing them to relapse. So he forgets almost everything along with Tomoyo. She does her best to make him remember but eventually he'll forget everything again. Tomoyo decides to undergo surgery because he wants to remember who Tomoyo is. After the operation,he finally remembers her. What happens is it wasn't a complete success and they know he's going to die soon. So Tomoya and Tomoyo get married before that happens.

After Tomoya dies, Tomoyo says she'll love him forever.

Basically Tomoyo After was a story with nothing happy happening at the end.
Oh wow.
So this is Key's answer to the supernatural thing, yes?
"You guys don't want magic? FINE! Here, no magic, now Tomoya is dead. Are you happy now, ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?!"

Mokoi

Banned
Oh wow.
So this is Key's answer to the supernatural thing, yes?
"You guys don't want magic? FINE! Here, no magic, now Tomoya is dead. Are you happy now, ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?!"

Yes I'm quite happy with that outcome :p Supernatural stuff was unnecessary.

Chariot

There's this thread where the current situation was discussed:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=859255

Doesn't look too good :p
Ah man.
But then again, the experienced employes won't just vanish with the studio. Maybe some studio takes it guts together and hire all the veterans and we something new out of it, something that fills the gap and is equally good or even better.
The sad part for me is what it means for the future of 'traditional' animation. Disney abandoned it for CG/3D so beyond anything else Ghibli is like the gold standard for that.
Well, maybe it's just time to let it go and embrace the new age. CG made huge steps in the last years and I am confident that it won't stop. People in the thread also cited Paperman, which was already pretty great. Give it a few years and we will have CG movies that look like traditional animation.

Jintor

I'm pretty sure if Ghibli closes all the employees are unsummoned and disperse back to the realm of pure animation where they come from. That's how Japanese companies work, right

Gurren Lagaan - 1

Simon can drill pretty fast. The joke about him drilling a hole into the 3 girls was supposed to be sexual, right? Yoko not even caring that Simon is buried in her breasts and even seeming happy is a twist from the norm.

I will probably watch an episode of Ghost in the Shell and see which one I will watch through first.

Chariot

Gurren Lagaan - 1

Simon can drill pretty fast. The joke about him drilling a hole into the 3 girls was supposed to be sexual, right? Yoko not even caring that Simon is buried in her breasts and even seeming happy is a twist from the norm.

I will probably watch an episode of Ghost in the Shell and see which one I will watch through first.
I think everything in Gurren Lagann is supposed to be sexual. Everything.

Studio Ghibli's spirit 1985 - 2014
Ah man.
But then again, the experienced employes won't just vanish with the studio. Maybe some studio takes it guts together and hire all the veterans and we something new out of it, something that fills the gap and is equally good or even better.Well, maybe it's just time to let it go and embrace the new age. CG made huge steps in the last years and I am confident that it won't stop. People in the thread also cited Paperman, which was already pretty great. Give it a few years and we will have CG movies that look like traditional animation.
Paperman is a blend of 2D and 3D, though mostly the latter. Disney fired their 2D people.

CorvoSol

I think everything in Gurren Lagann is supposed to be sexual. Everything.

Their first major ship has a giant bladed dick for its main weapon.

This is how Super Robots roll, tho. Mazinger fired a missile from its crotch, and let's not forget Aphrodite A's breast missiles. This is why you don't get to question when Star Driver starts powering its mecha with Libidos.

Hunter x Hunter 139

Translating Nanika to "Something"? That's not going to be distracting at all >_>

I thought it was a proper name but maybe it's a name with a double meaning? Does "Nanika" also means something like "something"? I suppose they didn't want to lost that, but yeah, saying "something!" isn't cool, less for Killua who wouldn't objectify his sister.

Link could be NSFW: Yeah, Gurren Lagann was always very subtle about the innuendos.

UJUD8Ap.jpg

Very NSFW.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! 15

So this is like my fifth or something time through the series and as I'm older I can see some areas of the show more clearly than I did as a wide eyed teen when I first fell in love with the show. The Gonzo animation isn't so hot (but still better than any other Gonzo show I've sat through), and the first two major story arcs (the Khanka and Behemoth) are a bit rough compared to later ones in the story. It's not that any of it is bad, its just that, like many mecha shows, it takes awhile for it to really find its footing.

That said, this arc, which was made up for the anime, is the first of the show I ever saw, and I see now why I fell back then for it so completely. There are no high school hijinks or egregious upskirts, there's just this story about Sousuke and a really screwed up team on a mission in a desert to first, kill Gauron and second, get out with their lives.

As I watch this now, I can't help but wonder if the whole damn mission wasn't a set up. The squad, unlike Sousuke's much smaller squad, is far less tight knit. Andy and Jackson don't get along well with Grace at all, and Bill is a pretty apathetic leader, willing to let all manner of shit slide without comment. In spite of this, the team falls into shambles quickly without him. More to the point, though, the whole team meets on the airplane (as in there is no briefing, nor even a moment of official introduction. I get that this is a rush job, but that Sousuke is just tossed onto the plane without any real introduction by anyone is still sloppy.) and most of them flippantly disbelieve the information they have going into this. When Grace points out that, if all that information the report gave them is true, they're underequipped, the team just seems to laugh it off.

And so I just sort of wonder, you know, because they are. M9s are state of the art mecha that even super powers like the Soviets and the Americans don't have easy access to, yeah, but against units equipped with the Lambda Driver that doesn't mean much. The tech is still sort of unknown at this point in the story, but then there's the fact that the team has no back up, and no contingency plans. When things go south, they're stranded a long way from anywhere, no means of calling home, and utterly reliant on Sousuke's memories of his childhood to get them through it. To me, at least, the whole thing smells fishy.

duckroll

Paperman is a blend of 2D and 3D, though mostly the latter. Disney fired their 2D people.

I don't think it was a blend at all. Wasn't it just using CG techniques to replicate some 2D style aesthetics? Pretty sure the entire thing was CG in terms of actual animation.

I don't think it was a blend at all. Wasn't it just using CG techniques to replicate some 2D style aesthetics? Pretty sure the entire thing was CG in terms of actual animation.

Yep. And while it does look good I certainly wouldn't confuse it with actual 2D animation. It's far from really. But still, the more steps we get in that direction the better.

cajunator

Banned
Ume is the 2nd best girl after oh wait, I only remember one name in Ben-to.

ICE QUEEN! Sen!

Sweetness. will watch soon.

Trully the most important thing in IS is not the MC , nor the mechas but the girls

Russia>france>germany>england>japan>china

This is acceptable.

Mhm.

France=Germany>Russia>England>China>Japan for me.

Japan annoys me, worst personality. China is cheerful at times and I like her theme.

Much better!

Hidamari Sketch x Hoshimittsu Bluray

Natsuyuki Rendezvous Bluray

My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering With My School Romantic Comedy Bluray/DVD

Tari Tari Bluray

I Couldn't Be a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to get a Job Bluray/DVD

Log Horizon Collection 1 Bluray/DVD

Sentai owns me again. Damn they get everything.
I already have Tari Tari on DVD but Ive watched it a few times so I wont count that as getting burned.

Sort of a tangent, but while everyone is talking about anime blu-rays, which would you guys say come with the most meaningful bonus features and/or packaging?

I'm sort of interested in starting a modest collection :U

Locodol!

NISA is excellent. Also the LAIN set is amazing. Some Aniplex sets have nice goodies. NISA is your best bet for nice artbooks and good packaging without blasting your budget.

Planetes - 26

And a wonderful ending to a great series. It's a slow burner but the hard sci-fi makes even the early episodes interesting enough and I grew really fond of most of the characters (albeit there are exceptions). Seriously though, the investment into a show with strong characters is just a beautiful thing.

I'm don't like attaching scores but this anime definitely gets my recommendation.

Excellent ending for an overall excellent series that went rather unexpected directions.

Are Chaika and Log Horizon any good?

Yes! Chaika cute! Fun show. Bones do good work. Chaika happy!
Log Horizon is way better than SAO for a myriad of reasons.

YamiHat 10

And now there's a tickling machine...

Lilith and evil ballet guy argues and then... then things get weird. There's doors out of nowhere and another foxlady. Looks like she got nine tails? And they're in some kind a building in space? And there's doors leading to random places? There's touching of private parts and suddenly a princess appears... And that's just the first half of the episode.

In the other half we're in a sci-fi book with Hazuki and Lilith and people are already dead. At least this part is uh... normal.

Wait, NOW things get weird? as opposed to from the very first few minutes of the show? XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom