• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been meaning to see the Phoenix Wright movie one day, but what bothers me is how... dark it seems to be.

Don't get me wrong, I know the Ace Attorney series had its fair share of dark moments, but there was at least a decent balance between the jokey lighthearted humor with all the side characters. From what I've seen of the movie, it seems like there's less of that.

I think Ace Attorney would work better as an anime rather than a movie. Because a lot of the in-game gags would translate well to animation rather than live-action.

I watched the movie it with a friend who worships at the altar of Ace and well, I'm wasn't all that impressed.

Course I never played the games either.

zulux21

I've been meaning to see the Phoenix Wright movie one day, but what bothers me is how... dark it seems to be.

Don't get me wrong, I know the Ace Attorney series had its fair share of dark moments, but there was at least a decent balance between the jokey lighthearted humor with all the side characters. From what I've seen of the movie, it seems like there's less of that.

I think Ace Attorney would work better as an anime rather than a movie. Because a lot of the in-game gags would translate well to animation rather than live-action.
the movie was focusing mostly on the last case from the first game, a case that in general is dark and doesn't have many laughs in it because it's to serious to be putting jokes in...

I mean you are trying to save your boyfriend damn it :p
I watched the movie it with a friend who worships at the altar of Ace and well, I'm wasn't all that impressed.

Course I never played the games either.

i've only seen the first 20 min or so of the movie, but it felt nearly unwatchable if you haven't played the games... there is so much jumping around and it's hard to follow unless you know the events that went down that they are skipping around.

phaze

Gankutsuo 22-24 END

gankutsuohkk26.png

Gankutsuo
didn't amount to much did he ? No anime character can withstand the power of love apparently. At least he will always the best recap narrator ever. (and I was so sure it was Bertucci)
I'm happy they didn't go overboard with the whole “revenge will bring you nothing but emptiness”. Albert and Haidee were laying it thick at the end but the thankfully the count didn't suddenly have some life changing revelation about how forgiveness brings happiness and all that shtick. I really liked the epilogue and the closure it gave to all the main and side characters. (Peppo!)

The story was well paced aside from the short patch in the beginning when the show was still introducing and establishing its large cast. If you have any idea about what Count Monte Cristo is about, there probably won't be much in terms of twists that will surprise you. The story goes largely where you expect it to go especially in the first half but the side stories to the revenge plot are enough to captivate you by themselves. When the show ups the tempo in ep 15/16 it doesn't let go till the end.

As for the characters Albert was an annoying and naive dipshit most of the time but I suppose that was the point of his arc. His growth felt earned and it was good to see what man has he become in the last episode. The three villains weren't the most nuanced characters ever and some of their actions, Eugenie's fathers especially, felt dumb and done for plot convenience only but they were memorable and seeing the Count play with them was immensely satisfying. I suppose I was expecting Morcerf to have more of a presence but he played an important role in only like 3 episodes. Albert's friends were a well done bunch. Franz and Eugenie have grown to be, along with the count, my favourite characters in the series. D'Epinay was just the broest of bros and it's a shame Albert didn't listen to him till it was too late. Eugenie's arc was one of the stronger points of the show. The realisation of her feelings, the gradual breakdown of her engagement, the whole forced marriage to Benedetto and finally that epilogue. It was all very well done and one of the stronger romantic stories I've seen. I didn't much care for Maximilien and Valentine but they were harmless and all but disappeared pretty quickly. Lucien and Beauchaump didn't have much screen time but they were there when needed and where actually useful and realistic characters.

I've said this earlier during my impressions but the music, and its use in the show, was stunning and really made some scenes. Bonus points for including some absolute classics too. (That Eugenie's Rachmaninoff.) As for the visuals I think I can safely safe Gankutsuo was the most graphically bonkers show I've seen yet. Getting used to everyone having clothes made of the weirdest kinds of wallpapers took a while but some imagery it created was just mind blowing (Haidee !). The CG backgrounds bothered me a bit but between the subs and characters I usually don't pay attention to the backgrounds and here, outside of a dozen of instances where it stuck out like a sore thumb,I managed to roll with it painlessly. So yeah, the visuals are a treat and I would say it's worth at least checking out the show for their uniqueness.

All in all, great show. Now to continue my Gonzo adventure with Strike Witches !

Midonin

Prisma Illya 2wei 06

Now I'm kinda glad I watched F/Z, because Iri's scenes resembled the bonus episodes, and also because it gave me some context to the context of this being
a world where Kiritsugu was able to channel his empathy in another direction and become a (somewhat better) dad, therefore not letting the world go all pear-shaped from the Grail War messing things up.
That most of the revelations took place in the bath don't diminish their effectiveness, and the battle of Kuroe and Miyu that started off the episode was pretty fun to watch. Saber!Miyu has some skill. The first season felt a bit Nanoha/CCS-like, but with this latest bit of backstory, it's fully settled into being part of the Fate universe.

Only being much, much happier.

Subitai

Anime GAF, could you lend me some of your wisdom?

I was curious as to why Free! seems to be holding its popularity? Swimming isn't that interesting a sport on its own, and I know this as I was a swimmer and am still a fan of the sport and despite Phelps/Lochte/Franklin, no one really cares. Nationals were last week and they weren't even fully televised on Universal Sports. So, I was wondering what was making up the difference.

Thanks for any response guys!

Look at this cat.

chi+cat.jpg

Look at him.
I thought Chi was a she? Is there some inside reference here I need to know to understand?

Mature

I was curious as to why Free! seems to be holding its popularity? Swimming isn't that interesting a sport on its own, and I know this as I was a swimmer and am still a fan of the sport and despite Phelps/Lochte/Franklin, no one really cares. Nationals were last week and they weren't even fully televised on Universal Sports. So, I was wondering what was making up the difference.

Upper body.

cajunator

Banned

I thought Chi was a she? Is there some inside reference here I need to know to understand?

Fujoshi power

zulux21

I haven't seen it but I can easily lend you two reasons.
1. Hot guys. You might not like them, but that doesn't mean others don't mind them.
2. Sports anime tend to make people care about sports they don't care about... I don't have any interest in soccer, boxing, volleyball but yet some of my favorite anime are about soccer (giant killing) boxing (ippo) and volleyball (well it's not a favorite but not a bad watch that is currently airing lol) Just because a sport isn't popular in the real world doesn't mean it can't be a solid show... I mean there is a sports anime about competitive poem reading and it's really freaken good... and it would be hella boring to actually learn/watch someone play in real life lol.

phaze

Nozaki kun 06

Throw out Chiyo and Nozaki and make Seo the main protagonist. All her bits were great, I hope she will get more screen time then up till now.

Sabagebu 06

The Yakuza part was alright but the rest was meh. Show is losing its lustre and doesn't seem to have much of an idea how to keep things fresh. There's only so many times that Momoka induced chaos can be entertaining.

Space Dandy 1-12

I'm surprised on how I've enjoyed this. I'm usually not big on the episodic series but here the lack of any central plot doesn't bother me much. Stellar production values, great characters (Meow is my favourite) and it knows how to crank up the feels at the moment's notice.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Hot guy. This show embrace the manservice, and it's handled by kyoani studio. The animation also look great, and the story, while not a masterpiece, it's actually quite decent.

mankoto

Hanayamata 6
Naru's too embarrassed to talk to her father about her club which makes him think she's living on the edge.

Sally, as usual, trying to make sure she doesn't have any responsibilities regarding the club. And even though they failed to meet her conditions, she bends her own rules after truly witnessing how hard they're working and want to preform. Next episode is probably going to be a major bummer though

zulux21

Is Rokujouma no Shinryakusha any good? Looks pretty cute.

The first episode was terrible, it gave me a headache because of how stupid the second half of it was.

you shouldn't just dump that many people into a show that quickly... it comes off lazy and stupid :/

I never watched past the first ep.

but of course I don't have a high tolerance for undubbed harem shows

Clov

I'm not sure about A Contact. I ended up watching the TV series and then Be Invoked. I remember enjoying them, and if you like old mecha anime you'll probably enjoy the Ideon TV series at least.

Narag

Everyone loves a good ghost story.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Forgive me animeGAF for I have sinned. I almost got someone curious to watch Aoi Sekai no Chuushin de.

jbug617

Banned

my guess they are still pushing the right buttons for the female fans.

TUSR

Banned

gif+fanservice+kyoani

iirc its not doing THAT well

Wait, Free! is about swimming as sports??

Next thing you'll say it's that K-On! was really about girls doing a serious music group.

mankoto

Free ES 6

29841.jpg

The pandering is strong.

This episode was nice.
-Both Rin and Haruka got scouted.
-Sousuke wasn't a complete ass for more than 5 seconds.
-Haruka's team are training for improvement (although I'd say they only lost due to the delayed start).
-Sousuke is still trying to figure himself out.
-A set up for a potential showdown at regionals

What's the point where the show loses the consistency that everyone applauded early on in its life?

Start of the Election Arc in 137, you could notice there was a few more stills than usual, and the drawing a few times it wasn't as sharp. But all very subtle, and the episodes were mostly people talking so it was ok. it's in the previous episode 141 when it started to be more noticeable. It's still decent thanks to Madhouse seniority in the business.

Midonin

Papillon Rose OVA + New Season

I've seen the OVA before, but now that I've watched Sailor Moon, I actually got what it was so closely trying to mimic. As for the TV series, it reminds me of what happened with Lime-iro Ryukitan compared to Senkitan's TV version. About 80% of it is still recognizable, but it's been toned down and changed enough that it feels like it's missing something. I know the OVA series was supposed to go on for six episodes, but DVD versions of the last three episodes of the TV series don't exist and OVA episodes beyond episode 1 were never produced, yet the TV series acted like they did. It's an odd state of affairs, but still, important to my magical girl history lessons. The OVA had a better idea of what it wanted to do, yet its sexual politics were similar to Dai Shogun when I prefer Daimidaler or High School DxD.

Ikkitousen Dragon Destiny 04-06

The way the first season started off with Koukin being a focus character, it made the show feel like it was trying to be a romantic comedy against the backdrop of the girls battle series. By changing its tune and nearly making Kannu the main character, there's a drastic improvement. The girls feel like they have more personality, more agency this season. The amount of fanservice hasn't really decreased at all, but it's comparatively their story. And the presentation is a lot more polished, less chaotic. Even with Hakufu back in the picture, she's a much smaller presence now. The scope of the series has expanded, and with it the storytelling possibilities. Glad to see Koumei join the team, too. She doesn't have the cute Hawawa~ of her Koihime counterpart. Still pretty cute.

Jex

What's the point where the show loses the consistency that everyone applauded early on in its life?

Somewhere during the years of the Chimera Ant Arc. It never gets appalling bad, unlike the many other shounen titles, but you can tell when there's no budget too spare.

Andrew J.

Prisma Illya 2wei 06

The action scene at the beginning was pretty good, but not really up to the standards of the best of the first season. The rest was mainly talking, establishing a closer link to the "vanilla' Fate universe, than one might have expected with Kuro's existence more or less fully explained and her conflict with the heroes resolved. Next episode looks to be mostly hijinks, which the show probably needs after the relatively heavy past few episodes. With Kuro's face turn, we're lacking any sort of genuine antagonist; who could possibly show up this late in the season and adequately fill that void, he asked having already spoiled himself.

Gag of the week:
The sudden transition from "floating in metaphorical water" to "shit it's not metaphorical OH GOD I'M DROWNING", with "'Mamamobile out of nowhere" for a close second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom