• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link Man

Banned
Clannad AS 13

A duel between Akio and Tomoya. This should be fun.

iboGc7PEJIV0j6.gif

I imagine this might get some use.

Okay, that was pretty good. Nice determination on Tomoya's part.

Drunk off of one cup. lol

Oh. My. God. Best scene ever!

So I guess it wasn't just anime hair.

Oh no, here come the feels.

...THEY SKIPPED OVER THE WEDDING?!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Heads on pikes are effective.

"Fear will keep the local systems in line."

Never be afraid to speak your mind.

"Never give up. Follow your insti-" "FFFFFFFFOOOOOOXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

DEATH™;125249450 said:
Guys, for me who enjoyed (and cried a bit) with anohana, and enjoyed golden time, what anime could you guys recommend?

Without knowing what you've seen....

Toradora!
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Clannad & Clannad: After Story
5 Centimeters Per Second

Are all pretty safe bets for good sad/emotional shows/movies (and among my top favorites anyways).

TUSR

Banned
It actually really bothered me how Kirito was so shaken about killing two dudes who were clearly trying to kill him, but he killed the other one in season 1 and a couple of episodes later he's sleeping with his waifu not a care in the world. Such a poor fucking excuse for the "only the female lead can see the male lead in his moment of weakness"

CRAWWWWWWWWWLING IN MY SKIIIIIIIIIIIIN.

Kirito can solo kill floor bosses but can't demolish a team of non-beaters.

Onii-sama would wipe the floor with him.

Jarmel

Banned
I should note that I'm haven't seen the episode Jexhius is referring to, but I'm much more willing to deride the 'flash of the weapons on on a black background' as something style oriented if it's a very quick cut compared to the long shot seen in the gif from S1 SAO at the top of the page. The difference being that a sizable aspect of Kanada is portraying energy and the SAO S1 gif loses that emphasis on energy by how long it is.

Do you guys know any good horror and or psychological anime/movies.
Ghost Hunt -Very western in its over-all feel, and episodic to boot. Like anime Supernatural (if there already wasn't an anime Supernatural). I'm kind of sad not many here have seen it, it's pretty decent and some of the arcs are genuinely creepy (not terrifying).

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia-
It has plenty of horror in it, but if you don't want the romance/cutesy parts then stay away.

Supernatural anime- Not horror per se, but deals with horror fantasy creatures.

Another- I have to recommend this because reasons

zulux21

I think shiki would be considered horror
not sure if ghost hunt would be
Monster likely would be considered horror.

that's about it for the shows I can pull from the top of my head that might be horror that are good.

[

personally I consider another more of a comedy then a horror :p

Taruranto

Ghost Hound is pretty good if you ignore the ending. Really one of the worst ending of all times.

Aoi Bungaku has some cool episodes, especially No Longer Human (warning: Depression-inducing)

Higurashi Visual Novel is an excellent horror, avoid the Anime.

Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILYA 2wei - 06

THAT SABER VS ARCHER fight was excellent ..trully ..some weird uses of 3D here and there but overall it was really good.

The Rest of the episode was pretty cool as well including some more backstory and forshadowing. 2wei is going to end "at the mansion", it's now obvious and this means we won't see the beach part animated unless they mix up some events.

CURSE YOU 10 eps seasons !!!

But yeah that episode 6 was great.

cajunator

Banned
actually thinking about it I still have some pictures from like 3 years ago (so I am missing around $2.5k worth of my anime in them and I don't buy many releases until they are $40 or cheaper)
image 1

hmmmm I might be missing more than I thought I was....
looking at the images I seem to be missing my huge amazon warehouse order which was forever ago... the pics are at least before I moved 2.5 years ago lol.

overall space taken up I think my collection is only 50-75% bigger, of course a lot of series now fit in the space of 1 dvd instead of 6 like most of my collection there is lol

That is a quite extensive collection. Very nice!
I see you have the Moonphase boxset which is one of my favorites.
Lotsa goodies like Kaleidostar, Escaflowne, and I even see a bit of angel Tales peeking out of an artbox.

Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit are the voices of a generation yo.

NO

Paranoia Agent should be right up your alley.

zulux21

Lotsa goodies like Kaleidostar, Escaflowne, and I even see a bit of angel Tales peeking out of an artbox.

yup I got quite a few art boxes back when they were sold for $4 a piece during rightstuf's 25 for 100 deals

Midonin

Cardcaptor Sakura 01-03

Much like Viz posting Sailor Moon, CR posting CCS is a chance for me to brush up on my magical girl history. It's my favorite anime genre, but I have yet to see a lot of the classics. This looks like it bears a lot of similarities to the shows I like today. Very cute, very peaceful, and even with all the magical card hunting, it's far more relaxed than some of the stuff that takes on its influence. (Like, say, Prisma Illya.)

I'm also loving Tomoyo. She has Yayoi/Peace's enthusiasm mixed with some of the strongest out of the gate yuri vibes I've seen from any character. The strategies used to capture the cards are also pretty interesting, though I know I'm only scratching the surface here. Hard to believe that Kero is also Ami, since Hisakawa's voice is pretty different between the two. The OP and ED are both pretty charming.

Looking forward to diving more into this show. Much like SM, all I have are vague memories of the dub (though Sakura's are a little clearer), so it may as well be a fresh experience.

Ghost Hunt -Very western in its over-all feel, and episodic to boot. Like anime Supernatural (if there already wasn't an anime Supernatural). I'm kind of sad not many here have seen it, it's pretty decent and some of the arcs are genuinely creepy (not terrifying).

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia-
It has plenty of horror in it, but if you don't want the romance/cutesy parts then stay away.

Supernatural anime- Not horror per se, but deals with horror fantasy creatures.

The only horror anime I've seen have been pretty bad, honestly.

Perfect Blue falls under this categorization.

I think shiki would be considered horror
not sure if ghost hunt would be
Monster likely would be considered horror.

that's about it for the shows I can pull from the top of my head that might be horror that are good.

personally I consider another more of a comedy then a horror :p

Ghost Hound is pretty good if you ignore the ending. Really one of the worst ending of all times.

Aoi Bungaku has some cool episodes, especially No Longer Human (warning: Depression-inducing)

Higurashi Visual Novel is an excellent horror, avoid the Anime.

NO

Paranoia Agent should be right up your alley.

Thanks. Of course I've seen Perfect Blue and Paranoia Agent :p

Monster looks really interesting. Maybe Ghost Hunt for another reaosn.....remember watching the dub and it was hilarious

cajunator

Banned
Is that legit good? I looked it up and the premise is kind of interesting.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of what they did there either.

You build up the main romance for one season and a half and you don't bother to show the gosh-darn wedding?!?

Its alright. Pretty much forgettable but Feena is adorable.

Cardcaptor Sakura 01-03

Much like Viz posting Sailor Moon, CR posting CCS is a chance for me to brush up on my magical girl history. It's my favorite anime genre, but I have yet to see a lot of the classics. This looks like it bears a lot of similarities to the shows I like today. Very cute, very peaceful, and even with all the magical card hunting, it's far more relaxed than some of the stuff that takes on its influence. (Like, say, Prisma Illya.)

I'm also loving Tomoyo. She has Yayoi/Peace's enthusiasm mixed with some of the strongest out of the gate yuri vibes I've seen from any character. The strategies used to capture the cards are also pretty interesting, though I know I'm only scratching the surface here. Hard to believe that Kero is also Ami, since Hisakawa's voice is pretty different between the two. The OP and ED are both pretty charming.

Looking forward to diving more into this show. Much like SM, all I have are vague memories of the dub (though Sakura's are a little clearer), so it may as well be a fresh experience.

the most interesting thing about CCS is Sakura wears a new outfit in almost every episode instead of the same wardrobe the whole time.

zulux21

Thanks. Of course I've seen Perfect Blue and Paranoia Agent :p

Monster looks really interesting. Maybe Ghost Hunt for another reaosn.....remember watching the dub and it was hilarious

are you sure you aren't thinking of ghost stories?

ghost stories has a dub that mocks the show the entire time and is quite funny.
ghost hunt is actually a solid show with a fine dub with very little comedy o_O

Yeah this. Ghost Hunt is a rag time team show that goes out to solve mysteries. Ghost Stories is the one with lines such as:

"imagine I'm a big black guy chasing you!"

"Well at least we know he's not racist"

zulux21

Recommend me a good obscure anime on CR. I'm bored and almost done with psycho pass.

time of eve.

is Xamd: Lost Memories considered obscure... I never hear anyone talk about it even though it was decent o_O;
perhaps un-go not amazing but better than I was expecting
pale cocoon
Hanamaru Kindergarten is weirdly enjoyable despite giving you diabetes and needing lots of fire used on it... not sure how well liked it was but none of my friends have seen it.
gosick was surprisingly enjoyable and I haven't heard many talk about it.
Chihayafuru is the best show about poems ever made and I don't hear many talk about it

Recommend me a good obscure anime on CR. I'm bored and almost done with psycho pass.

Natsume Yuujinchou

While not 'obscure' I feel that not many have given it a watch and it's a damn amazing anime. Heck I never bothered watching it until I saw how highly ranked the show is in sites like MAL.

Oh. Is it just me or do they have similar characters.

Besides the quirky/funny girl not really. Male lead in Ghost Hunt is quiet and stoic, typical shojo mature cool dude. In Ghost Stories we have the bad boy. Then the rest of the characters are nothing alike

Yeah this. Ghost Hunt is a rag time team show that goes out to solve mysteries. Ghost Stories is the one with lines such as:

"imagine I'm a big black guy chasing you!"

"Well at least we know he's not racist"

Oh. Is it just me or do they have similar characters.

Lurky

Natsume Yuujinchou

While not 'obscure' I feel that not many have given it a watch and it's a damn amazing anime. Heck I never bothered watching it until I saw how highly ranked the show is in sites like MAL.

Such a good show. I thought that a lot of animegaf saw it though. I kept seeing posts of Gaf-cat while it was airing.

cajunator

Banned
time of eve.

is Xamd: Lost Memories considered obscure... I never hear anyone talk about it even though it was decent o_O;
perhaps un-go not amazing but better than I was expecting
pale cocoon
Hanamaru Kindergarten is weirdly enjoyable despite giving you diabetes and needing lots of fire used on it... not sure how well liked it was but none of my friends have seen it.
gosick was surprisingly enjoyable and I haven't heard many talk about it.
Chihayafuru is the best show about poems ever made and I don't hear many talk about it

This show is pretty well loved here.

Such a good show. I thought that a lot of animegaf saw it though. I kept seeing posts of Gaf-cat while it was airing.

If so I'm sad as when I was watching it and gave it a review, I did get a couple of AnimeGAF regulars acknowledging the review/commenting they've seen it and love it, but a large part of my responses were from people I didn't recognize coming here to tell me how they caught the show one way or the other. My favorite reply was the guy who told me how his wife and him went to Japan and changed the channel and it happened to be on. Then the wife said that Nyanko sensei is the cutest thing she's ever seen, which I have to agree on.

Its alright. Pretty much forgettable but Feena is adorable.

Eh, I'll check it out. Haven't seen any decent drama shows anyway lately. I guess I could also put Anohana on my watch-list as well. Just to see what all the talk is about in terms of sadness.

Ojamajo Doremi - 8

One exam down, eight more to go.

Wow, they really stressed out how easy the exam was, and they make the make-up exam even easier! But of course Doremi unwittingly ends up making the whole thing harder for herself. Unluckiest magical girl in the world indeed.

Ah, cheer up kid. At least you don't have to fight monsters!

Lurky

If so I'm sad as when I was watching it and gave it a review, I did get a couple of AnimeGAF regulars acknowledging the review/commenting they've seen it and love it, but a large part of my responses were from people I didn't recognize coming here to tell me how they caught the show one way or the other. My favorite reply was the guy who told me how his wife and him went to Japan and changed the channel and it happened to be on. Then the wife said that Nyanko sensei is the cutest thing she's ever seen, which I have to agree on.

Nyanko sensei IS pretty damn cute.

jbug617

Banned
funimaiton just announced their nov relases
highschool dxd season two
one piece season 6 parts 1 and 2

also new collections for
Toriko season 2
save collection for Yamada's First Time (even at $15 don't really feel it's worth owning lol)
Certain Magical Index season one on blu ray and dvd for $38.

Just High School DxD S2 for me.
Cat's Eye Season 2 is also coming out in November.

Mokoi

Banned
I'm sure I mentioned it, but Nyanko sensei is the only mascot character who I like. Mainly because he's more than just a mascot. Also the Natsume shows are really good. I love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom