• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phatmac

Nice to see some connection to the main series with Kiritsugu and the holy grail war. No one seemed surprised over Ilya's mom having magic which was odd. Combat was good overall but didn't like that an emotional scene was being done in a bath spa but whatever. With Kura now being an ally I don't know what the main conflict of the show will be now.

Narag

Start of the Election Arc in 137, you could notice there was a few more stills than usual, and the drawing a few times it wasn't as sharp. But all very subtle, and the episodes were mostly people talking so it was ok. it's in the previous episode 141 when it started to be more noticeable. It's still decent thanks to Madhouse seniority in the business.

Somewhere during the years of the Chimera Ant Arc. It never gets appalling bad, unlike the many other shounen titles, but you can tell when there's no budget too spare.

That's reassuring. Urge to watch it is slowly growing since it arrived on netflix.

VRMN

Nice to see some connection to the main series with Kiritsugu and the holy grail war. No one seemed surprised over Ilya's mom having magic which was odd. Combat was good overall but didn't like that an emotional scene was being done in a bath spa but whatever. With Kura now being an ally I don't know what the main conflict of the show will be now.
We're only on the first of three in 2wei, so...yeah. There is plenty left.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wake Up Girls has a smaller cast than iDOLM@STER and yet I struggled to remember who they were in the pictures. Main girl, eating girl, ex idol girl, rubbish girl, tall girl, maido girl and the one who thought she was the shit. Don't ask me for names though.

Jex

[Sword Art Online Deux]

One thing that really struck me about the latest episode of Sword Art Online is that they couldn't even manage to direction the action sequences correctly, which is pretty weird when you consider that this should be one of the show's appealing qualities.

Now there are two major problems with the flashback battle sequence that are worth talking about. Firstly, the action that we do witness is shot in a way that's designed to hide the lack of animation and secondly the small sequence we do see played out doesn't even make sense.

Now, to my first point, a large number of shots in this sequence are close ups of weapons hitting each like so:
saoaction1wdfse.jpg

Notice in this scene with Asuna attacking an opponent we don't even see her hit him because it's shot from behind, again to save money. They just draw the 'effects' animation that would accompany a hit without actually animating one.

This is obviously done to give you a 'sense' that a fight is going on without actually having to stage the fighters in a location, display their attacks or say anything about what the battle really looks like. You don't even have to draw the characters fighting! Of course, at one point even that is too much effort so they just draw the effects of the weaponry:

Thrilling. At one point we do briefly get a shot of the battle itself and, well, you just need to see for yourself:

saofightdistancehtkj7.gif

A truly mesmerising mix of CG characters bouncing up and down like robots with sparks drawn over the top of them but not even draw where fighters are hitting each other. They just slapped them on top of the CG haphazardly. Amazing work.

As you'll recall my second complaint was with the logic of an action sequence. Well here it is:

We're first shown a lone character, with one hit point remaining, surrounded by three other people:

For reasons unknown he manages to surprise one of the players:

And then, somehow, even though clearly by attacking one person he'd leave himself open for attack from two other people he still manages to get a free attack off on the second player:

Which clearly results in:

The last player, even though his opponent is one hit away from death, just rolls over and dies, I guess?

Which just leaves us with this:

One character has somehow over powered three others and the visual language of the action didn't convey how he did it at all. What you'll notice if you re-watch the sequence is that as soon as the 'villain' starts to attack the 'heroes', we only ever see him attack one of them at a time and we also don't see how he moves from one person to the next in his attack. The camera is very tightly focused so that there's never more people in shot then villain and the guy he is killing. This makes it look like a series of three one-on-one duels.

This is a lie that the director is trying to feed you by shooting the sequence in this way. If the camera was stationed at a distance from this sequence where you could clearly witness the action you'd see a three guys waiting in turn to get killed even though they held the complete advantage.

This may all sound very pedantic but when I watched the sequence unfold it just didn't make any sense and that's because the director had taken serious shortcuts when laying out the scene. If you want to have one character best three you can, but then you actually have to stage an action sequence where he bests his foes through strength or speed or tactics, you can't just slap a bunch of shots of him killing people together in a sequence because it doesn't make any sense.

Fate/kaleid 2wei 6
Pretty cool battle between Saber Miyu and Kuro. Illya's mother is pretty damn powerful.
And finally the tie in to how this is actually connected to the Fate universe and a very emotional scene where Kuro almost disappears

jgminto

[Sword Art Online Deux]

Thrilling. At one point we do briefly get a shot of the battle itself and, well, you just need to see for yourself:

saofightdistancehtkj7.gif

A truly mesmerising mix of CG characters bouncing up and down like robots with sparks drawn over the top of them but not even draw where fighters are hitting each other. They just slapped them on top of the CG haphazardly. Amazing work.

I'm pretty sure they panned over this shot twice too lol.

Bombless

Free ES 6

This episode was nice.
-Both Rin and Haruka got scouted.
-Sousuke wasn't a complete ass for more than 5 seconds.
-Haruka's team are training for improvement (although I'd say they only lost due to the delayed start).
-Sousuke is still trying to figure himself out.
-A set up for a potential showdown at regionals

During the next ep preview I felt a strong disturbance in the Force, as if a million girl voices squeed in delight and then were silenced.

Lurky

Monogatari Series S2 Episode 19

I really liked the banter between Ononoki and Shinobu. They're actually a pretty good comic pairing. And I can't believe it took Ararararagi that long to realize that his dream harem is right in front of him. Too bad they're trying to force him to choose a waifu. :p I also love how despite this arc being named "Shinobu Time" the real star of it so far is Hachikuji. What's worse is how
she's only in it for half the episode because they got separated. ;-;

Jex

Jexhius, the choreography in S1 and S2 were shit and it's shit now. People don't watch SAO solely for the action. :lol

There's only been two seasons!

I don't quite agree either, not that I'd say I consider the previous sequences 'good' but they were at least competent. This one was just garbage.

I'm not sure about A Contact. I ended up watching the TV series and then Be Invoked. I remember enjoying them, and if you like old mecha anime you'll probably enjoy the Ideon TV series at least.
I've been under the impression that it's best to get the minimal dose of Tomino if possible.

zulux21

I thought you were a fan of NANA? Shame on you.

I am a fan of nana and many other shows, but if you say golden time I am going to say toradora and pet girl

I suppose with anohana I should have also included angel beats... which then gets fun music included and one step closer to nana.

and I suppose nana does show up in golden time, but she isn't remotely the same nana so I don't know if I really count that.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Let us remember the visual marvel that was Sword Art Online's battles from the first series:

ibyd78BFdWfvjR.gif

Beautiful.

Hapiness Charge - 27

WHAT IS LOVE ?

Very good episode , with nice animation and HIME witha VERY ACTIVE imagination !

I love it .

Next episode should be awesome since we're going to travel a bit.?? and that's awesome.

zulux21

funimaiton just announced their nov relases
highschool dxd season two
one piece season 6 parts 1 and 2

also new collections for
Toriko season 2
save collection for Yamada's First Time (even at $15 don't really feel it's worth owning lol)
Certain Magical Index season one on blu ray and dvd for $38.

cajunator

Banned

also new collections for
Toriko season 2
save collection for Yamada's First Time (even at $15 don't really feel it's worth owning lol)

B Gata H Kei is totally worth buying!

Firemind

There's only been two seasons!

I don't quite agree either, not that I'd say I consider the previous sequences 'good' but they were at least competent. This one was just garbage.

There were as many cheap animation tricks in S1/S2. Realistic swordsmanship it does not. It has its 'rule of cool' moments, like in episode five where Kirito dodges/deflects bullets and jams the lightsaber into the mook's abdomen.

zulux21

B Gata H Kei is totally worth buying!

but the only decent character is the main male, and in general there isn't a single laugh to be found in a series that calls itself a comedy :/

I mean it wasn't so terrible that I couldn't finish it like watamote or senran... but I couldn't see myself ever paying money to own it...

then again I said the same thing about final fantasy unlimited... and recently broke down and bought that for $4 (and I consider that one unwatchable after the first 8 eps or so)

I suppose at some point I should actually share some pictures of my anime collection lol

[Sword Art Online Deux]

[...]

Yeah that battle was really off in all kinds of ways. It's also really nice how the elite clans leader points out "We're almost to the Laughing Coffin HQ that was in the report:" and he stops everyone and goes through the plan and completely obvious details again. Like what the fuck, didn't you actually properly discuss this at your headquarters? Who would go over everything when nearby the enemy -_-

But such is SAO.

Also, having another look at that combat scene...Jesus Christ, the bad guys in this show always go full crazy/insane. The maniacal laughter and facial expressions, god damn. Subtlety, where art thou?

cajunator

Banned
but the only decent character is the main male, and in general there isn't a single laugh to be found in a series that calls itself a comedy :/

I mean it wasn't so terrible that I couldn't finish it like watamote or senran... but I couldn't see myself ever paying money to own it...

then again I said the same thing about final fantasy unlimited... and recently broke down and bought that for $4 (and I consider that one unwatchable after the first 8 eps or so)

I suppose at some point I should actually share some pictures of my anime collection lol

Please do. We would love to see what you have and like.

Jarmel

Banned
To be fair Jexhius, just drawing the special effects from a weapon or a clash isn't anything remotely new and sometimes is a stylistic choice moreso than an actual animation shortcut. Pretty sure Imaishi likes to do that all the time too.

Jexhius, the choreography in S1 and S2 were shit and it's shit now. People don't watch SAO solely for the action. :lol

At times the choreography was bad but there were multiple fights that were very well animated both on a choreography standpoint and fluidity level.

also new collections for
Toriko season 2

Getting dxd 2nd season and Index blu-ray.

Firemind

I am a fan of nana and many other shows, but if you say golden time I am going to say toradora and pet girl

I suppose with anohana I should have also included angel beats... which then gets fun music included and one step closer to nana.

and I suppose nana does show up in golden time, but she isn't remotely the same nana so I don't know if I really count that.

I don't even know what Golden Time has in common with Toradora or Pet Girl, but Ano Hana is pretty much an Asian drama and NANA is as typical an Asian drama as can be.

zulux21

Please do. We would love to see what you have and like.

I can always just share my Mal for what I like :p, though not everything I have seen is on that list... especially if it came out in the last year (I have been bad with that recently lol) and my manga list isn't very well done... but it's got a decent amount of shows that I have seen.... a lot of the ratings were done years after I watched the show so they might be a little high or a little low (In general I wish the thing had .5s)

My anime collection I need to put back together somewhat.... or more so get another giant bookshelf to fit it all as my current one is overflowing lol. plus I own plenty of shows I don't like... I do random buys all the time during the rightstuf holiday sales where full series are $10 or less lol.

zulux21

I don't even know what Golden Time has in common with Toradora or Pet Girl, but Ano Hana is pretty much an Asian drama and NANA is as typical an Asian drama as can be.

toradora is from the same creator as golden time
pet girl feels a lot like toradora

as for anohana with nana... well to me they are completely different shows that have very little feeling in common. not to say I didn't enjoy anohana (I did) but I will likely never rewatch anohana in my life unless I am showing it to someone, meanwhile I rewatch nana every few years because the music, the comedy, and character growth is so well done that I can enjoy it on a rewatch even if I know what is coming.

edit: ack... sorry for the double post (I had expected you guys to post something in 3 minutes ><;)

Jarmel

Banned
and then there was also a lot of this:

I would have to see who were the key animators for that episode, as I attribute that to Kanada style due to stuff like Star Driver and TTGL. It is an animation shortcut but it's also part of a 'style'. Now when it's prolonged like that then yea I can definitely see it being annoying.

Jex

To be fair Jexhius, just drawing the special effects from a weapon or a clash isn't anything remotely new and sometimes is a stylistic choice moreso than an actual animation shortcut. Pretty sure Imaishi likes to do that all the time too.
Context is important and the context here is a cheap scene that shot poorly by inept choreographers. Imaishi this is not.

cajunator

Banned
I can always just share my Mal for what I like :p, though not everything I have seen is on that list... especially if it came out in the last year (I have been bad with that recently lol) and my manga list isn't very well done... but it's got a decent amount of shows that I have seen.... a lot of the ratings were done years after I watched the show so they might be a little high or a little low (In general I wish the thing had .5s)

My anime collection I need to put back together somewhat.... or more so get another giant bookshelf to fit it all as my current one is overflowing lol. plus I own plenty of shows I don't like... I do random buys all the time during the rightstuf holiday sales where full series are $10 or less lol.

I have a similar collector mentality. About 5 bookshelves worth and growing.

zulux21

I have a similar collector mentality. About 5 bookshelves worth and growing.

actually thinking about it I still have some pictures from like 3 years ago (so I am missing around $2.5k worth of my anime in them and I don't buy many releases until they are $40 or cheaper)
image 1

hmmmm I might be missing more than I thought I was....
looking at the images I seem to be missing my huge amazon warehouse order which was forever ago... the pics are at least before I moved 2.5 years ago lol.

overall space taken up I think my collection is only 50-75% bigger, of course a lot of series now fit in the space of 1 dvd instead of 6 like most of my collection there is lol

Jarmel

Banned
Context is important and the context here is a cheap scene that shot poorly by inept choreographers. Imaishi this is not.

Yea it's obviously not Imaishi but depending on who the key animators were, I could see that particular shot being stylistic.

Lurky

Monogatari Series s2 Episode 20

What?! No. No! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! That explains so much about this arc... Why is it always the ones that I like? T_T
At least I still have
Shinobu even though she was barely in this arc.
I might have to quit this show for a third time.

It actually really bothered me how Kirito was so shaken about killing two dudes who were clearly trying to kill him, but he killed the other one in season 1 and a couple of episodes later he's sleeping with his waifu not a care in the world. Such a poor fucking excuse for the "only the female lead can see the male lead in his moment of weakness"

CRAWWWWWWWWWLING IN MY SKIIIIIIIIIIIIN.

cajunator

Banned
It actually really bothered me how Kirito was so shaken about killing two dudes who were clearly trying to kill him, but he killed the other one in season 1 and a couple of episodes later he's sleeping with his waifu not a care in the world. Such a poor fucking excuse for the "only the female lead can see the male lead in his moment of weakness"

CRAWWWWWWWWWLING IN MY SKIIIIIIIIIIIIN.

Please dont remind me that that song exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom