• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
time of eve.

is Xamd: Lost Memories considered obscure... I never hear anyone talk about it even though it was decent o_O;
perhaps un-go not amazing but better than I was expecting
pale cocoon
Hanamaru Kindergarten is weirdly enjoyable despite giving you diabetes and needing lots of fire used on it... not sure how well liked it was but none of my friends have seen it.
gosick was surprisingly enjoyable and I haven't heard many talk about it.
Chihayafuru is the best show about poems ever made and I don't hear many talk about it

Xamd is amazing. One of these days I'm going to make a thread detailing every rediculously good thing (and the few bad things) the show does.

Lurky

VT6dxne.gif

Man I'm actually waiting until the show isn't so fresh in my head so I can rewatch it again. Some of the arcs/episodes brought tears to my eyes, especially those giving us a look at Natsume's past. The tree yokai episode had me bawling.

Holy crap, bromigos for life! That tree youkai episode made me want to cry too.

VT6dxne.gif

Man I'm actually waiting until the show isn't so fresh in my head so I can rewatch it again. Some of the arcs/episodes brought tears to my eyes, especially those giving us a look at Natsume's past. The tree yokai episode had me bawling.

I'm actually gonna start this series sometime soon. Since I'm actually in the mood for something heart-warming and moving.

Link Man

Banned
Cardcaptor Sakura 2

ipMuK51FB21oN.jpg

Kero watches you while you sleep. Creepy.

And Sakura...is a stalker?

iIBqKetHyzkP5.jpg

Ooh, this will be getting a lot of use in the future.

Going into the school at night to capture a monster? Is this Persona 3?

Why is she dressed like a Native American?

This bitch be rich!

Holy cosplay Batman! I'm guessing that INVADERS used this as inspiration.

Don't blink!

Monsters born of shadows. It really is Persona 3.

Huh, the same attack doesn't work in all situations. Take that, Sailor Moon!

Is the show going meta now?

Holy crap, bromigos for life! That tree youkai episode made me want to cry too.
Mucho bueno. Another one would have to be the episode with the dragon baby thing. I didn't cry silly but I definitely got a bit emotional at the end. I also loved all the episodes with the kid fox youkai, he was pretty adorable too.

I'm actually gonna start this series sometime soon. Since I'm actually in the mood for something heart-warming and moving.

Go for it, definitely a peaceful and beautiful anime. Any day another soul gives a watch to Natsume Yuujinchou is a good day in my book.

I need to go back at Natsume Yuujinchou, watching Aria give me mood to do it, I stopped at S2 for some reason.

Understandable for shows that are really soothing/calm. I stopped watching Space Brothers and still haven't gone back to it even though I loved what I saw.

Trust me, you don't want me to talk about X'amd.
RUN AWAY RUN AWAY [repeat]

VT6dxne.gif

I'm sure I mentioned it, but Nyanko sensei is the only mascot character who I like. Mainly because he's more than just a mascot. Also the Natsume shows are really good. I love them.

Natsume is awesome. We need a S5.
As for nyanko-sensei :
Nu'ff said.

Lurky

Mucho bueno. Another one would have to be the episode with the dragon baby thing. I didn't cry silly but I definitely got a bit emotional at the end. I also loved all the episodes with the kid fox youkai, he was pretty adorable too.

Those ones were pretty good but I think the only episode that really got to me was the tree youkai. I also really wanted more episode with class rep. She's so pretty.<3 Plus, I really liked his interactions with her.

Jarmel

Banned
It's really hard to say which shows from KyoAni are profitable without looking at their production costs compared to their contemporaries. They admittedly have better production schedules but I'm sure they also have higher budgets as well.
im guessing Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! was above hyouka then o_O

First season was.

Hyouka was a success no matter how you look at it. It wasn't a smash hit, which is another story.

Okay, now things are getting made up. Here's the front page of Kadokawa's investor report for the first quarter of fiscal 2013. The Kotenbu novels were the best selling novel series in that quarter for them. How is that not a smash hit?

(Disc sales only conversation is idiotic)

Jarmel

Banned
Okay, now things are getting made up. Here's the front page of Kadokawa's investor report for the first quarter of fiscal 2013. The Kotenbu novels were the best selling novel series in that quarter for them. How is that not a smash hit?

If we take into account additional revenue from other sources, it becomes near impossible to track which shows are 'successful'. Also stuff like smash hits are usually reserved for things like Code Geass, Bakemono, or Madoka. Things where franchises are made.

How bad are we talking here?

To the point of people getting fired and Kadokawa being much more careful about how long their shows are.

zulux21

It's really hard to say which shows from KyoAni are profitable without looking at their production costs compared to their contemporaries. They admittedly have better production schedules but I'm sure they also have higher budgets as well.

First season was.

im trying to remember if i even finished the second season.....
I don't think I did o_O

Shergal

I don't think that's comparable to K-On or Haruhi, for example, but sure, it would only depend on how high you set the bar. My point was that not making absurdly gargantuan numbers doesn't make the show unsuccessful (I'm aware of the novel boost as well).

MarkusRJR

Rewatching Card Captors for the first time since in like 6 years, First time watching with subs. I remember people saying that the localized version had a bunch of cut scenes so I'm curious to see what was cut.

Super excited. At what point should I watch the movies?

Mr.Jeff

Log Horizon - 01
Oh hey, this was actually enjoyable considering the premise. Granted it's only the first episode but it does a nice job of actually thinking about the premise a little.

My biggest complaint about something like Summer Wars was the over-dramatisation of virtual scenes such as the Natsuki hanafuda scene where you hear reaction to physical incidences in a virtual situation shown on a crude mobile device!

Here, even for things like combat, it's at least partially explained as a result of becoming the game rather than VR or such.

A side note, from the Database gif that was shown continuously in here, I was expecting the Op to sound something akin the the Death Note 2 OP. Instead it's some half Engirsh thing that honestly provokes no reaction. I can't even remember it.

The music in the show though is very nicely done however. The right tone of something akin to an MMO.

zulux21

Rewatching Card Captors for the first time since in like 6 years, First time watching with subs. I remember people saying that the localized version had a bunch of cut scenes so I'm curious to see what was cut.

Super excited. At what point should I watch the movies?

the dub is also uncut... it was just the NA dub the was cut.

That is pretty depressing to hear. Is there any hope at all for a NA bluray release? I know funimation is saving other KyotoAni series from limbo.

Nichijou did have a BD Box re-release so it did do a little bit better than people think after a while. Initial sales were pretty bad though.

Maybe later on. That and the Haruhi movie are the ones not saved of the KyoAni stuff I think?

JoeFu

Banned
Monogatari Series s2 Episode 20

What?! No. No! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! That explains so much about this arc... Why is it always the ones that I like? T_T
At least I still have
Shinobu even though she was barely in this arc.
I might have to quit this show for a third time.

I cried watching that episode. :(

Anyways just finish the show you're almost done

I want hyouka to be saved just to see Brandys reaction.

Syrinx

Black Rock Shooter TV 1

I should start by saying that I don't have much experience with Mari Okada works. Apparently she worked on some of the screenplays for some Aria episodes, but that's really it. Most of my knowledge of "Okada" comes from madp's WIXOSS impressions.

Anyhoo...

I'm not really getting what the Black Rock Shooter is supposed to be. Like I get that we have Mato who's living her life and that the challenges she faces get put into these really macabre forms in the world of BRS (hence Kagari-bot cutting her with a buzzsaw). But I don't know why it exists. What point it serves, I guess.

Other than that I can at least tell that this is going to be ultra-heavy on the melodrama. I must say I'm eager to learn the relationship between Yomi and Kagari. Cause the way that's going...hoo boy, that's going to be something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom