• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
14728695949_beb78c5d0b_b.jpg

So I'm curious as to what people's opinions of the VN(source) are. I've read some opinions elsewhere that seem to think somewhat highly of the source but it sounds like the usual LN bait but with some grimdark thrown in.

Clov

Finally got my DVD copy of Mononoke from Amazon.ca today. Can't believe that I'm actually holding a North American copy of this show; I never thought it would get licensed over here!

Fate/Illya S2 6
I suppose that's the end of this arc.
It would've been so anticlimactic if she went right then and there.
My only question is,
if Kuro knew she was a Deus Ex Machina all along why didn't she just wish for Illya's death?

Because illya was just a scapegoat for her anger ?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Zankyou no Terror Episode 6:

Right, I officially hate Lisa any scene she is in drags this entire anime down several notches, she is so unnaturally crowbarred into this story then even the characters can't stop remarking about it.
Obviously her purpose is being unfurled as she is going to be the X Factor that spoils Five's little game somehow.
Anyway, I really like Five and she has quickly set herself up to be the chessmaster's chessmaster within the confines in the world. Shibuzaki shines in spite of getting sidelined for this arc for the moment.
I did like the fact that this anime subverted the lone rouge detective act.
We are also getting a fair pit of political manoeuvrings with the arrival of the new players, which probably has deeper underpinnings. Anyway, another thing I am getting tired of is the mincing of the morality of Twelve and Nine. I have no idea where this streak of nobility is coming from, or really much of anything when it comes to their morality. Anyway, this was overall a alright episode, clearly all setup to next week.

Link Man

Banned
Clannad AS: Under the Green Tree

Pretty standard recap, except for the range it covered, perhaps. I did think it would go poetic and end with Tomoya saying he loved the town, as a counterpoint to saying he hated it at the beginning of the series.

As for my final thoughts, well, I did enjoy the series. The light-hearted humor was wonderful, and the drama was really hard-hitting. I do feel that perhaps there was a bit too much emotional manipulation towards the end, but then again, it kind of makes sense for the series. In the earlier arcs, they would start out light-hearted and then go into some serious complication, which Tomoya would end up fixing by the end of the arc. In a sense, that's what the entire series was, the same dramatic arc blown up on a grand scale.

Definitely worth a watch, but expect to cry a lot towards the end.

So I'm curious as to what people's opinions of the VN(source) are. I've read some opinions elsewhere that seem to think somewhat highly of the source but it sounds like the usual LN bait but with some grimdark thrown in.

It's an okay VN that has issues with some of the girl routes being a big hit or miss (No spoilers for now)

Characters-wise you have Yuuji (MC) being a serious, deadpan character whose easily labeled as a gary stu by some, but genuinely has some very funny moments when reacting to the stuff around him. Then you have the girls who all can be figured out the moment you see them like: Big sister slut -> Amane, Senjougahara expy -> Yumiko, and Wannabe Tsundere -> Michiru. They still have their own hidden personalities from issues dealing with something that occurred in their own back stories that you eventually find about and help them overcome.

Best part of the entire VN is easily the common route (Though Angelic Howl has the honor of being the best written) and if the anime has any sense at all, they will adapt that part.

Mr.Jeff

Pretty much accurate. It's not quite as bullshit as some of Key's stuff but there's a lot of nonsense that you pretty much just have to run with. For example - The main lead is a genius assassin that works for a shadowy section the government that has a wide reach into politics despite only being 17/18 from what I recall.

Each route is quite individual though so it makes me wonder how they're going to tie them all up. They're all a bit too long to try and do a Yosuga no Sora with. Especially Amane (the red head). That one just went on and on and on.

Waifu ranking because it's standard form:
Sachi(Pink) > Michiru (Yellow) > Yumiko (Purple) >>>>>>>> Makina (Brown) >>>>> Amane (Red)

OceanBlue

Pretty much accurate. It's not quite as bullshit as some of Key's stuff but there's a lot of nonsense that you pretty much just have to run with. For example - The main lead is a genius assassin that works for a shadowy section the government that has a wide reach into politics despite only being 17/18 from what I recall.

The main character's background is pretty silly but IMO the scenarios behind the girls are probably more nonsensical, especially with how they're treated.

cajunator

Banned
Rewatching Card Captors for the first time since in like 6 years, First time watching with subs. I remember people saying that the localized version had a bunch of cut scenes so I'm curious to see what was cut.

Super excited. At what point should I watch the movies?

Avoid Cardcaptors at all costs. If thats what you watched, then watch it uncut and subbed again like its the first time because it quite literally is.

Log Horizon - 01
Oh hey, this was actually enjoyable considering the premise. Granted it's only the first episode but it does a nice job of actually thinking about the premise a little.

My biggest complaint about something like Summer Wars was the over-dramatisation of virtual scenes such as the Natsuki hanafuda scene where you hear reaction to physical incidences in a virtual situation shown on a crude mobile device!

Here, even for things like combat, it's at least partially explained as a result of becoming the game rather than VR or such.

A side note, from the Database gif that was shown continuously in here, I was expecting the Op to sound something akin the the Death Note 2 OP. Instead it's some half Engirsh thing that honestly provokes no reaction. I can't even remember it.

The music in the show though is very nicely done however. The right tone of something akin to an MMO.

No worries. that song will drill its way deep into your brain over time.

Okada likes making people suffer.

That is all you need to know.

Her writing is the most incredibly melodramatic tear your eyes out of your face sorta stuff. I kinda like how overdone it is.

http://a.pomf.se/ysycat.webm

Rail Wars! 5

That is the exact same look I gave him after he yelled out.

Absolute crime that such a grade A waifu like Red is stuck in this show.

Her, brown (Jesus Christ that body), and light brown would all do wonders if they had a competent MC to relate with.

Only thing keeping me watching it thats for sure. I dont talk about this show, but Im still watching it for her.

Gatchaman Crowds 02-04

Everyone was actually a boy, can't wait for the reveal that Hajime's Hajimes are fake

Hajime is probably the most genki character I have ever seen, and somehow she's not terrible!
Is Berg-Katze's goal just to be a huge dick to everyone? THAT'S THE KIND OF VILLAIN I LIKE
Like the way Utsutsutsutsutsutsutsu's powers are just shown but never drawn attention to.

You might be right. I love Hajime so much as a result. Like looking in a mirror at my own personality :)

Bigger question is who the hell keeps so many cups.

Me..I collect mugs along with all the other things. I have a few dozen by now.
Actually, when I get my own place and have some more space, Ill display my mugs and car models for an even more eclectic looking room than I have now.
Try to picture how fun all that will look together.

Did we get a comedy as good as Love Lab this year?

No but Sabagebu is delivering some great entertainment.

zulux21

you know... you guys are temping me to watch love lab...
but then I have a feeling you won't like it when I come back and talk about how stupid and unfunny it is (I mean there is a small chance I won't hate it and I would try my best to find redeeming points, but I can't remember the last time a k-onish (bunch of cute girls in a random club) looking show was actually enjoyable for me)

Kieli

I will always hate Key for that fucking bullshit Clannad AS ending.

Shat all over the character development they've been doing the entire series...

Mr.Jeff

The main character's background is pretty silly but IMO the scenarios behind the girls are probably more nonsensical, especially with how they're treated.
Oh definitely, I was just giving that as an example since it's not giving anything away. A lot of the stuff in the VN follows it's own vein of logic that while kinda makes sense is totally far removed from how common sense tells you it would happen.

Edit: Actually, thinking on, that's not true for Michiru's route. That's straight up bullshit.

you know... you guys are temping me to watch love lab...
but then I have a feeling you won't like it when I come back and talk about how stupid and unfunny it is (I mean there is a small chance I won't hate it and I would try my best to find redeeming points, but I can't remember the last time a k-onish (bunch of cute girls in a random club) looking show was actually enjoyable for me)

It is on my to watch list...but then again I love K-On.

Andrew J.

Film Crit Hulk's essay on humor in Guardians of the Galaxy explains a concept he calls "dramatic alleviation", which is basically about the judicious use of jokes to undercut serious moments.

"Dramatic alleviation" is why I like Prisma Illya so much.

phaze

Naruto Shippuden 370-371

Not impressed with Madara's rape face.

They should have covered up his left eye like in the manga.

Should have lifted it straight from the OP.

Tokyo Ghoul 07
Censorship strikes again and again. The scene before OP was especially jarring. :(

This academy that Amon spoke of must be some serious doping center. All those doves can stand up to Ghouls with no problem.

OP is the best of the season and the new ED is a nice companion to it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just because a show stars a female cast doesn't mean it's like K-On.

Also if you're going to lump them altogether at least call them Azumanga shows since that's older (now I await someone to tell me the name of an even older show).

zulux21

It is on my to watch list...but then again I love K-On.

in general when I think moe I think

when I think k-on past the first few episodes I think

>.>
Just because a show stars a female cast doesn't mean it's like K-On.

Also if you're going to lump them altogether at least call them Azumanga shows since that's older (now I await someone to tell me the name of an even older show).

but azumanga doesn't fill me with the urge to burn things just by mentioning it's name because while the main character is cute, there is a point to the show aside from eating cake and falling over.

and k-onish isn't all female cast it's
all female cast of moe girls, with a club or club like setting.

Chihayafuru - 25 [Finished]

Well, I enjoyed this quite a bit. Didn't even feel like fast-forwarding or anything really. In my book, there was a good balance between character development and time spent on Karuta. I mean, both were pretty closely intertwined anyways.

Most surprising to me is how I never really got bored of that sport; there seems to be quite a lot of depth and the mindgames are funy to follow. Now, despite not actually knowing Karuta in real life at all (gonna search for some YouTube videos though), I have to assume that a lot of the aspect surrounding that sport are exaggerated in this anime. While mindgames and thinking about strategy are one thing, these characters, analyze their opponents and make huge changes to their playstyle while often succeeding at doing so. It's just a bit hard to believe that they could do it to such a degree when the game is constantly going on and they mustn't forget the card placements as well as being very focused.

One small issue I could point out though, is that it's kinda hard to follow the game at times, especially when you can't speak Japanese and have to rely on subtitles. That makes e.g. some of the 'same syllable' explanations somewhat confusing to follow in English. The show also doesn't really give the audience any more information about the state of the game than is available to the actual players. So you can simply never know what the right next move is supposed to be. Still, I actually prefer this as that has its own advantages, especially when tension is concerned.

That said, nothing appears to be comically over.exaggerated in a way where I'd just start rolling my eyes. Also for the sake of presentation (and being an anime) you want to go a bit over the top to make it more interesting.

The characterization is pretty strong overall. Our core trio Chihaya, Taichi and Arata get most of the focus (well Arata when he actually appears in an episode ;P) but the other 3 school club members also get their own fair share. So do side characters, especially most opponents we encounter. Those aren't just that, they're actual human beings with their own reasonings etc.

I think I enjoyed following Taichi's character development the most so far. While I was looking forward to Arata the most and he doesn't make that many appearances, I actually ended up being somewhat fine with that because the rest of the cast was good enough.

I wasn't expecting this season to end just in the middle of...nothing special though. It makes sense though if the second season is just continuing right where this one ends. It also would've been pretty unbelievable if Chihaya and co. actually made it to the national grand finals this quickly.

I think with this being my first 'sports anime' is a bit advantageous as I'm not tired of going through the same formula (that probably being a bunch of diverse characters, their sport, and slow climb to success). After all the "plot" is of course rather predictable with these kind of stories.

Now, I guess I would have to dive into the second season. However earlier comments made it seem like that one isn't very good? edit: The premise of getting another whole 5 new members for the schools club doesn't sound very appealing btw. Would rather like 1-2 more and continue focusing on everyone already established.

I'd btw. rate this show a 7 or 8/10, can't quite decide just yet.

in general when I think moe I think

when I think k-on past the first few episodes I think

>.>

Hehe ya I understand that that style of show is not for everyone. Those shows usually bring a huge smile to my face so I tend to steer towards them. I can't help it..the moe has me.

Oh definitely, I was just giving that as an example since it's not giving anything away. A lot of the stuff in the VN follows it's own vein of logic that while kinda makes sense is totally far removed from how common sense tells you it would happen.

Edit: Actually, thinking on, that's not true for Michiru's route. That's straight up bullshit.

What's the VN called?

Midonin

but azumanga doesn't fill me with the urge to burn things just by mentioning it's name because while the main character is cute, there is a point to the show aside from eating cake and falling over.
That stereotype doesn't even hold any water upon watching the actual show. Once Azusa appears the show reveals its true nature, and then becomes some of the best emotional anime I've seen in S2. The last stretch of episodes and the movie is powerful stuff.

Should have lifted it straight from the OP.

Tokyo Ghoul 07

Censorship strikes again and again. The scene before OP was especially jarring. :(

This academy that Amon spoke of must be some serious doping center. All those doves can stand up to Ghouls with no problem.

OP is the best of the season and the new is a nice companion to it.

Hmm I really want to know how far this adaption is gonna cover.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't get people who say they hate moe because by moe's definition that doesn't make sense.

It's like an odd form of self hate.

That stereotype doesn't even hold any water upon watching the actual show. Once Azusa appears the show reveals its true nature, and then becomes some of the best emotional anime I've seen in S2. The last stretch of episodes and the movie is powerful stuff.

Ya I was going to post something along these lines. I can see why people think that with season one but damn did I get hit hard with the end of season 2 and the movie. Especially if you really love the show, it is a mix of happy and sad at the same time.

The last School Festival of season 2...man. Tears were shed.

Chihayafuru - 25 [Finished]

Well, I enjoyed this quite a bit. Didn't even feel like fast-forwarding or anything really. In my book, there was a good balance between character development and time spent on Karuta. I mean, both were pretty closely intertwined anyways.

{SNIP]

Now, I guess I would have to dive into the second season. However earlier comments made it seem like that one isn't very good? edit: The premise of getting another whole 5 new members for the schools club doesn't sound very appealing btw. Would rather like 1-2 more and continue focusing on everyone already established.

I'd btw. rate this show a 7 or 8/10, can't quite decide just yet.

I love Chihayafuru. Great female lead (yes she is a ditz but it isn't hammed up too much), the sport was completely foreign to me before watching the show but I really like the way they presented it. It got my AOTY 2012

Moral Panic said:
1) Chihayafuru ; I didn't go into Chihayafuru expecting to like it. It's an anime about a boring Japanese card game with a whole load of boring rules. So why the hell is it the best goddamn anime I've seen in years? The show manages to mix the best parts of Josei, namely the focus on relationships, with the action and high tension of a shounen battle anime. Good josei delivers a more realistic view of both the romantic and the platonic (especially compared to shounen and shoujo stuff), where the characters' interactions are a huge source of the material. Good battle manga have the tension that comes from having a competitive rival, the meeting of new and varied people to fight and the joy of watching a character grow in their skills. Chihayafuru had both and it combines them seamlessly.

It's incredible how every week I would rush to watch this show and how it never failed to give me an incredible feeling: that I was watching a masterpiece unfold before my eyes, a feeling I haven't truly experienced since Death Note. I don't think the show has a single "bad" episode, even the recap episode is incredibly funny with new material that was enjoyable to watch. It did occasionally fall into the flowery shoujo side in it's presentation of the main character Chihaya Ayase, but never to the point where I was annoyed or frustrated. The main character was a female so I guess they felt they had to give her some of those "desirable" traits that can sometimes feel like you are creating a doll rather than a character. People consistently complain about anime's portrayal of women and I fundamentally agree that certain parts in the industry need to step their game up seriously.

Thankfully Chihayafuru never falls anyway close to those things. Chihaya isn't a perfect doll, or an unbeatable Goku - she has faults (and not those trivial ones that Shoujo's give their mains to hide the fact that they are perfect) she learns and grows with the rest of the cast and is shown working damn hard to get to where she is (No Kirito's welcome here). Yet she still loses. And she still cries and wails and her own powerlessness against someone stronger, and wails at the unfairness of not being born with skill like a child prodigy. And the people around her face their own failings - they aren't an entourage: they have their own story, motivations, goals and lives. One of the best parts in the entire anime is the battle between two of the lower ability members of the main cast, their intense incredible showdown leaves you at the edge of your seat, and you feel like this matters, like the entire world has stopped to watch this incredible play because for the characters it does matter.

It's a simple card game, no forced artificial tension (no one is gonna die) yet you feel it is so incredibly important because this is a goddamn incredible anime.

zulux21

i've seen all of season 1 of k-on and the first 1-2 eps of season 2. (I was hoping they were going to actually do something, but alas they just went right back to doing nothing)
up until that point any scenes not related to falling down or eating cake feel like they are there just to pad out the show and get to more scenes of falling down or eating cake...
perhaps the second season/movie actually eventually go somewhere but their pointless screwing around (and horrendous season 2 opening song) drove me away from the series for good.

I wanted a series about creating music with friends, and when they actually go to do a concert what happens... we hear the final note of the concert... we don't see anything -_- It doesn't help that I detest yui and didn't enjoy following her adventures in tripping at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom