• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

4kHLH0A.gif

There once was an ugly Yomi.

It was so ugly that everyone died.

The end!

Necrovex

So I am planning to show some of my anime friends two particular shows, Monsters, and Hajime no Ippo, during our game/nerd night tomorrow. I hope to convert these two fellows into believers. Believers of the Takamura, Ippo, Johan, and Tenma sects. Wish me luck!!!

cajunator

Banned
Hahaha, this is probably true!

In no particular order:
The Tatami Galaxy
Nodame Cantabile
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Azumanga Daioh
Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team
Great Teacher Onizuka
Cowboy Bebop
Kamichu!
FLCL
Planetes

Not a bad list. Missing some Kinos journey and Haibane Renmei.

Your explanation is that they are wearing pants, so whatever they wear isn't embarrassing!

Good enough explanation for me Zachy!

How many shows besides those two have you watched? Be honest.

The Tatami Galaxy
Nodame Cantabile
Azumanga Daioh
Great Teacher Onizuka
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL

Planning on watching Planetes. I really like Nodame Cantabile, just not in my top 15. Same with FLCL. Tatami Galaxy I enjoyed enough but that's probably nowhere near top 30. Azumanga Daioh I got bored as fuck with. I'd rather watch Nichibros again. Heck I'd rather watch Nichijou just to at least be entertained, but nothing against the show. Moribito I'd catch an episode here and there in AS, but never really caught my interest. The rest I simply haven't watched or have no interest in watching.

Terror in Resonance - 6 (again)

I forgot to comment, but the flashback/dream with her silhouette blowing up and intense light everywhere reminds you a bit to the typical imagery of an atomic bomb, which I associate it with the stolen Plutonium. Which, btw, it hasn't been mentioned by Nine or Twelve in these six episodes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Rurumo 6
How do you humanize your sex-comedy protagonist?
RmIdHNAl.jpg

I'll let you think about what happens to the kitten by the end of the episode. lol
I'm never sure how I feel about these gimmicks - that robot Angel show did much of the same thing - but I suppose if you want people to sympathize with a walking id of a protagonist, manipulating the emotions of the audience is probably the best way. Doing it via cute animals is a bonus.

Glasslip 7
TyK8wWal.jpg

So this was "kakkoii", but CR decided to go with "attractive". Which makes sense, since it's all a bunch of girls saying it about a guy... but it just reads so awkwardly, because I don't think tween girls wound run up to a guy and say "please stay attractive!". Of course, what she really means is "please remain a figure of our blind idealism", but that doesn't work either. I don't know why they didn't just go with "cool" though, since that's what everyone else would use. But what do I know about subbing.

7kJEFpvl.jpg

Oh yeah, I'll just leave this here without any context.

Encouragement of Climb 6
How do you respond when someone gives you this as a reason you can't do something?
K0pfbGcl.jpg

msJACBtl.jpg

This is the cosmicblizzard response. See, even moe can have burning heart shounen stares.
I will say, even with 15 minute episodes, they were able to set up the mom character as a worrywart. Not bad.

Again!! 4
Speaking of cosmicblizzard bro-love stares:
jd0pZwal.jpg

This is what baseball dude looks like when giving his knowing brolove smile to Imamura. The actor was really going for it, going for his own Emmy moment.

Oh that reminds me though... I guess Nobunaga Concerto is a big deal in Japan, because I noticed that it was getting a jdrama next season. It just seems strange to do this weird CG adaptation only to roll right into a jdrama adaptation, but maybe that's just how you sell stuff there.

Persona 4 Golden 6
I guess I'll spoiler this because of weird spoiler people and the fact that people may not have played the game/watched the original series, but in the same way that the original anime devoted two episodes to Nanako (producing the only real original content in the 26 episode run), this time they delivered an Adachi episode.
I will say, it was suitably awkward seeing this on screen: spoiler image, especially since in the dub from the game, it is almost played for laughs instead of being made a weird
creepy raper dude moment
. I'm not sure if that was just a function of JYB doing his JYB voice and not really selling it, or the fact that the dub insisted that
"bitches" was the worst thing a man could call a woman
, but the anime version of the scene is much more sinister.

I suppose it'd be interesting to compare it to the inevitable JYB version whenever Sentai brings Golden over, but I don't think I care enough to see if his performance would change under a different context.
I'll just say that with what has happened involving sad pathetic men and their treatment of women in real life recently, this version of Adachi lines up much more with those real world reports than the P4/P4G dub makes it out to be.

Syrinx

Black Rock Shooter TV 5

This is an adaptation of an existing property, yes? So is the world of the Black Rock Shooter supposed to be something as it is described, or is this just what happens when you let Mari Okada run free?

Do you think English voice actors make an effort to learn French, or German? Most actors certainly don't, particularly in TV (learning languages takes time and effort, let alone getting the accent right). I recently rewatched an episode of The X-Files called "Triangle", where the regular characters play Nazi analogues of themselves, and the German accents were absolutely appalling even to my tin ear.

The thing is, it doesn't seem to be such a huge issue generally, at least in the bigger productions. I also don't care if actors don't learn (or rather can't speak) foreign languages if they aren't casted in roles requiring that.

The problem is that in seemingly the entire anime industry in Japan we've not one voice actor who speaks somewhat believable English, YET there's clearly a demand for that as plenty anime feature at least some English dialog. Also it's not like they don't teach English in school. Obviously that's not much good in the grand scheme of things but it's not like English is something completely alien.

In the end it's probably just the Japanese audience being the one that matters by large and they aren't as bothered by Engrish.

Stuart444

Glasslip 7
TyK8wWal.jpg

So this was "kakkoii", but CR decided to go with "attractive". Which makes sense, since it's all a bunch of girls saying it about a guy... but it just reads so awkwardly, because I don't think tween girls wound run up to a guy and say "please stay attractive!". Of course, what she really means is "please remain a figure of our blind idealism", but that doesn't work either. I don't know why they didn't just go with "cool" though, since that's what everyone else would use. But what do I know about subbing.

Could have always gone with 'hot' instead of "attractive". I'd consider it better than attractive purely because I've heard it for years being said on TV. (usually American sitcoms and stuff but still...).

Cool works as well mind but I just thought I'd mention an alternative word for attractive that I could imagine tween girls saying.

Terror in Tokyo - 06

Still somewhat meh about this but it's trucking along I guess.

That Engrish though...holy shit is that an immersion killer.

I mean I suppose the anime studios really just don't care about this stuff but it still blows my mind that seemingly not one of these voice actors who do usually do such a great job and appear to be quite dedicated to their job just can't speak English anywhere near decent.

Of course it's not an easy thing to learn, rather hard probably. But still, these people work a lot with their language and train their voices, I would think there would be some interest there?

edit:

Two more aspects I didn't really like about this episode: Chess. Yikes, we can never get enough of chess, right? The other thing is Twelve and Nine actually wanting to go to the airport. Yes, the specifically say why they don't make a response video, saying that no one would believe them but... I think that argument is complete bullshit. I mean, they make a YouTube video (s.th. that Five did not btw.) and tell everyone it's not them doing it. Well and then what does Five/the police or FBI do? Uh blow up people and blame them? Well, if Nine and Twelve would feel morally responsible for that then...you could blackmail them with ez anyways. It just doesn't add up to me.

You dare mock the sanctity of Engrish?

Clickhole is just fucking unnecessary. It took the mocking from the Onion and the hipster tone from the AV Club and smooshed them together into what is basically 9gag full of self-hatred and poking fun.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Why the fuck does CR still only have Episode 1 up? I forgot this show was even airing.
I assume it's still in licensing hell.

Could have always gone with 'hot' instead of "attractive". I'd consider it better than attractive purely because I've heard it for years being said on TV. (usually American sitcoms and stuff but still...).

Cool works as well mind but I just thought I'd mention an alternative word for attractive that I could imagine tween girls saying.
Well, they do say "hot" earlier. But if your dramatic moment is "play stay hot", that comes off even worse than attractive. Of course, if you just used "cool" or something that is more broader, then you wouldn't be forced to use a different translation for the exact same word because of how the context changed.

BluWacky

I forgot two impressions posts!

Sailor Moon Crystal 3

This left no impression on me. It's just a bit boring. The overall visual concept, while incredibly bland most of the time, at least retains the feel of something a bit more sophisticated than a Tokyo Mew Mew or a Precure, but there is little sense of... anything. Wonder? Romance? Menace? It's just... there.

Nostalgia will keep me watching, but I wish it wouldn't.

Shounen Hollywood 1

This show is an odd beast. I find its premise and script interesting (it feels less like an anime and more like a live action show, curiously), but at the same time I have next to no interest in watching any more of it. It's almost definitely because it's about idols, even though it's a good spin on the topic.

I do understand the appeal of pre-packaged boy and girl groups (otherwise I wouldn't know embarrassingly large numbers of Backstreet Boys/Spice Girls lyrics) but for some reason (age/musical tastes?) I find idol groups irritating. I don't currently understand in this show why the "lead" character even wants to be one and accepts the manager's invitation to work in the theatre. That, and it emphasises the things I really don't like about the existence of idol groups - the artificial nature of it, for instance, where the idols are forced to play a version of themselves that has been assigned to them (which seems, somehow, very different from "acting" to me). While it's interesting that the show's doing that, it makes me less interested in seeing their eventual rise to performance level.

This seems like a very verbose way of saying "it was fine, but not my kind of thing".

Hey, at least it's not some kind of Johnny's Entertainment tie-in show.

Link Man

Banned
Glad you liked it! I hope that recap episode made things a bit more clear about the end. To many people come to the conclusion that
it was "just a dream" and "Tomoya didn't remember/learn anything". The truth is the opposite is the truth.
Yep, now you need to finish FFV. ;)

Black Rock Shooter TV 5

This is an adaptation of an existing property, yes? So is the world of the Black Rock Shooter supposed to be something as it is described, or is this just what happens when you let Mari Okada run free?

BRS is a concept that goes in different ways..

People took the concept and did things with it.

You can have a setting in 2051 where earth is invaded by aliens or what you're experiencing with the Tv series so far.

Everything and Nothing is canon

Branduil

Black Rock Shooter TV 5

I think it was originally just a piece of fanart, LOL.

Firemind

Not a bad list. Missing some Kinos journey and Haibane Renmei.

I have a feeling they're too depressing for me to enjoy.

Planning on watching Planetes. I really like Nodame Cantabile, just not in my top 15. Same with FLCL. Tatami Galaxy I enjoyed enough but that's probably nowhere near top 30. Azumanga Daioh I got bored as fuck with. I'd rather watch Nichibros again. Heck I'd rather watch Nichijou just to at least be entertained, but nothing against the show. Moribito I'd catch an episode here and there in AS, but never really caught my interest. The rest I simply haven't watched or have no interest in watching.

You like Nodame Cantabile, so you're okay in my book!

Necrovex

Are there any legitimate reasons why CR hasn't posted Hajime No Ippo's first two seasons? It's silly that they have Rising, but nothing prior to it!

cajunator

Banned
I forgot two impressions posts!

Shounen Hollywood 1

This show is an odd beast. I find its premise and script interesting (it feels less like an anime and more like a live action show, curiously), but at the same time I have next to no interest in watching any more of it. It's almost definitely because it's about idols, even though it's a good spin on the topic.

I do understand the appeal of pre-packaged boy and girl groups (otherwise I wouldn't know embarrassingly large numbers of Backstreet Boys/Spice Girls lyrics) but for some reason (age/musical tastes?) I find idol groups irritating. I don't currently understand in this show why the "lead" character even wants to be one and accepts the manager's invitation to work in the theatre. That, and it emphasises the things I really don't like about the existence of idol groups - the artificial nature of it, for instance, where the idols are forced to play a version of themselves that has been assigned to them (which seems, somehow, very different from "acting" to me). While it's interesting that the show's doing that, it makes me less interested in seeing their eventual rise to performance level.

This seems like a very verbose way of saying "it was fine, but not my kind of thing".

Hey, at least it's not some kind of Johnny's Entertainment tie-in show.
If you watch more, you'll find that the show agrees with you about the Idol biz, I think.

Phatmac

Man... If anyone is watching this anime without knowing the story of P4 beforehand then they fucked up.
I liked seeing these scenes with Adachi and why he decided to start the murder cases but it was hard to follow since it kept going back to the past and present. It also doesn't flow well with the anime since we don't see any friendship scenes between Adachi and Yu. Still more Adachi is for the best so I liked it overall but this whole show really seems unessecary.

CorvoSol

Man... If anyone is watching this anime without knowing the story of P4 beforehand then they fucked up.
I liked seeing these scenes with Adachi and why he decided to start the murder cases but it was hard to follow since it kept going back to the past and present. It also doesn't flow well with the anime since we don't see any friendship scenes between Adachi and Yu. Still more Adachi is for the best so I liked it overall but this whole show really seems unessecary.

Considering the IT has zero development at all in this show, I'd imagine watching this without having seen the anime, read the manga or played the game is a bad idea all around.

Mr.Jeff

Log Horizon - 02
So in this episode we mostly cover how combat works in practice which ties in nicely with the state of the world in that people are getting bored and restless and with no fear of permanent death, use player killing as stress relief.

I'd argue that realistically in this situation, people should be trying to find a way out but when your options are so severely limited and your area of search is a world one half the scale of the planet, I can see why this has not been made a point of.

While the preview for the next ep looks like it may reveal more of Shiroe's past, I like the subtle hints that - much like in early MMOs of old - things were better in the past and Shiroe and Naotsugu are hinted at having played for a long time in comparison to Akatsuki.

Why is this so good? (OP aside)

Terror in Resonance Episode 6

That was a really great setup for the next episode. This cat and mouse game is well played I'd say. With three groups opposing each other creating some nice dynamic. Lisa seems useless but I hope her role is well developed and she actually does something. But man that Engrish was phenomenal, sweet Jesus.

fertygo

Are there any legitimate reasons why CR hasn't posted Hajime No Ippo's first two seasons? It's silly that they have Rising, but nothing prior to it!

They got Rising for newer season/simulcast schedule, I'd imagine adding older season into catalog is separate deal that they not doing yet.

Himegoto - 02

Wait ... brothers ???

Wait ... public morals ?

Wait wait wait.

Himegoto - 03
Let's embrace photoshop skills !!

Himegoto - 04

Albertina 2? Really ? that's your pen name ?

Himegoto - 05
That's NOT the right anime to ask how babies are made.

Himegoto - 06
And now i remember that i need to chack the new doujins games at comiket 86

Lurky

Hidamari Sketch 2

I had to take a little break from this because the cuteness was too strong for me. It seems like that break didn't help at all. Apparently, Miya is trying to give me diabetus and it might be working. Everyone in this show is so impossibly cute. I might need another short break in between this episode and the next one.

Necrovex

They got Rising for newer season/simulcast schedule, I'd imagine adding older season into catalog is separate deal that they not doing yet.

If they didn't get it when Rising was aired, I doubt CR would find it valuable to get the older seasons anytime in the near future (maybe in five years when the next season of Ippo airs).

Narag

If they didn't get it when Rising was aired, I doubt CR would find it valuable to get the older seasons anytime in the near future (maybe in five years when the next season of Ippo airs).

You'd be surprised. They put the second Ashita no Joe series somewhat randomly earlier this year or last and it's 34 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom