• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

I was gobsmacked at that scene. And the death scene that occurred right after lol

WHAT DID THIS SCENE ACCOMPLISH?! FUCKING NOTHING.

I remember watching the first few eps of this when it was airing with no knowledge of its predecessor. Thinking back on it now, it's just bizarre. It's nothing like Eureka Seven. It's just a super dry politically driven show with some otaku bait and no fun personalities.

The worst thing about E7, at least to me, is how they
say Eureka had to time travel to 10k years in the past to have her baby because the trapars turned her first baby into a fucking statue.

Keep in mind that Eureka is the biological masterpiece of TEN THOUSAND YEARS OF PLANNING by the Coralians to find a way to communicate and assimilate with humanity in a peaceful manner and avert the end of the world, and that the fact that Eureka could bear Renton's children was a major plot point in that plan and source of discussion and comfort in the show.

But the Coralians just somehow forgot that transparent light particles would transfigure their hybrid children into stone statues when they had no such effect on humans or humaniform Coralians like Eureka.

That was the ultimate bullshit right there.

Gatchaman Crowds Director's Cut Ending

Much better ending. Because it had context, and bothered to explain stuff, not everything, but the original TV ending basically only wrapped up the Crowds plot thread. Everything else was just left hanging. Maybe could've had this originally if they didn't spend half of episode 11 talking about how awesome Hajime is.

Best part of this show was Berg-Katze by far (and the OST) so I'm down with the S2 thanks to that development with Katze and Hajime THAT GOT EXPLAINED NOW

Midonin

Tokyo ESP 06

I remember reading that the original manga had Yoda in it, but I suppose that skirted a little too close to copyrights - no one wants to get Disney on their case - so they replaced him with a panda for the anime. That's just a guess. The shift from the aftermath of the tanker incident to training with the perverted panda was a pretty abrupt tone shift separated only by the commercial break. It was alright. Rinka's realization was one seen before, and I think she may find a way to blend her ideals and her training in the end. At least I hope so.

Clov

Gatchaman Crowds Director's Cut Ending

Much better ending. Because it had context, and bothered to explain stuff, not everything, but the original TV ending basically only wrapped up the Crowds plot thread. Everything else was just left hanging. Maybe could've had this originally if they didn't spend half of episode 11 talking about how awesome Hajime is.

Best part of this show was Berg-Katze by far (and the OST) so I'm down with the S2 thanks to that development with Katze and Hajime THAT GOT EXPLAINED NOW

I think the stuff in episode 11 happened because they ran out of time to animate the stuff found in the director's cut. I remember reading it somewhere at least.

This really makes the series complete though, and I'm really looking forward to season 2! I'm a big fan of the director, so I'm looking forward to anything he does, really.

Edit: And yes, Katze was amazing. Probably my favorite Mamoru Miyano role. He gives a crazy amount of energy to Katze, so he's always entertaining to watch.

Tokyo ESP 06

I remember reading that the original manga had Yoda in it, but I suppose that skirted a little too close to copyrights - no one wants to get Disney on their case - so they replaced him with a panda for the anime. That's just a guess. The shift from the aftermath of the tanker incident to training with the perverted panda was a pretty abrupt tone shift separated only by the commercial break. It was alright. Rinka's realization was one seen before, and I think she may find a way to blend her ideals and her training in the end. At least I hope so.

I haven't watched the episode yet, so I can't say, but Yoda should just be a dude in a panda suit. Did the anime turn him into an actual panda?

cajunator

Banned
Weird, I thought parasyte had an anime already.

I think you may be referring to Pupa.
Hopefully its much better (and longer)

School Days 1

1 minute in ad we have jiggling breasts and an upskirt shot.

Wow, they're kind of wasting that notebook by using a different page for each message.

Why are they talking over each other, quite annoying with subs.

Oh hey Akio, how are you enjoying Sanae's bread?

iblXGTFON7BlM7.gif

I'd love to go to a gas station called Nobil, as long as they honor their name.

Wait, did he just take some punches while shadow boxing?

Well, this seems pretty normal so far. Sure, the comedy is a little grating, and it's a bit boring, but I don't see anything to get upset about yet.

wat.
Give him a serious kiss, then wish him luck on his date.
Pure evil.

So is that final scene implying that this is going to be a harem? Don't really like the sentiment, but I have to admit that it was a clever scene.

School Days 2

Ok, that was the worst date ever.

Yikes, this OP is not Duckroll-approved.

Changing his underwear is reserved for special occasions?

So this is straight-up ecchi. Glad they didn't beat around the bush regarding this fact.

Oh my god,
trying to be romantic during a sex scene
. This is great stuff.

Stationary stores must love her. How many notebooks does she go through in a week?

Scratch that, this is the worst relationship ever.

"Ever since the end of Elementary School, I've always had the largest breasts in my class."

"Ever since the end of Elementary School,

I've always had the largest breasts in my class."

Elementary School, largest breasts

why

"Makoto's always thinking with his other head"

why

And now she's...with her...

WHY?

Saionji is a terrible person.

*grabs a chair and sits down
heheee

Koufuku Graffiti or w/e based SHAFT

Staff/Cast reminders:

Staff:
Chief Director: Akiyuki Shinbo
Series composition:Mari Okada
Character designs: Kazuya Shiotsuki
Studio: SHAFT

(Using the second image as reference)

Cast:
Ryou Machiko - Rina Sato (middle)
Kirin Morino - Asuka Ougame (left)
Shiina - Mikako Komatsu (right)

1408098272276tfso0.jpg

14080983222533hsgf.jpg

This is going to be wonderful I can tell.
Food + Shaft = two of my favorite things together!

Goddammit we getting eating-moe earlier than lewd-cooking nooooo
I also miss that, mistook it as something that I thought should watch after origination, gonna remedy that soon.

eating-moe is better anyway.

People like duckroll who watch transformers and ninja turtles are the reason the turtles made more money than Guardians of the Galaxy this past weekend.

This is what's wrong with you America.

Turtles are a known commodity, GOTG is the first time this comic was ever made into a movie I think. One already has established fanbase.
I have a feeling GOTG will become a cult classic easily.

I actually want to watch Rail Wars but I don't really have the time at the minute and the backlog of shows I want to watch is huge ;;

Kiniro Mosaic, Mikakunin de Shinkoukei, finish Love Live 2, GuP OVA, Date a Live1/2 and many more I can't even think of ;;

That is one hell of a fun backlog! Get on that!
Forget Rail Wars for now!

say Eureka had to time travel to 10k years in the past to have her baby because the trapars turned her first baby into a fucking statue.

Keep in mind that Eureka is the biological masterpiece of TEN THOUSAND YEARS OF PLANNING by the Coralians to find a way to communicate and assimilate with humanity in a peaceful manner and avert the end of the world, and that the fact that Eureka could bear Renton's children was a major plot point in that plan and source of discussion and comfort in the show.

But the Coralians just somehow forgot that transparent light particles would transfigure their hybrid children into stone statues when they had no such effect on humans or humaniform Coralians like Eureka.

Still haven't watched the last two episodes of AO. Not sure I really want to either.

Yama no Susume 04-06

Look like the girls have their sight set very high, the ultimate climb! Well at least for Japan anyway. Also polka dots > Kuma.

I think the stuff in episode 11 happened because they ran out of time to animate the stuff found in the director's cut. I remember reading it somewhere at least.

This really makes the series complete though, and I'm really looking forward to season 2! I'm a big fan of the director, so I'm looking forward to anything he does, really.

Edit: And yes, Katze was amazing. Probably my favorite Mamoru Miyano role. He gives a crazy amount of energy to Katze, so he's always entertaining to watch.

Well, that makes sense. The only time I figure stuff like that/recap episodes happen is because they ran out of time.

Branduil

Watching AnoHana.

Halfway into episode 4. I'm sorry, but this huge plothole is driving me absolutely insane.

If Menma can touch things, make freaking bread...why can't she just make something float in air to prove she exists? Push someone. Do anything Even if she really isn't real and it's all in Jintan's head, this is something she should have thought of while Jintan was being made fun of. Fuck. It's driving me nuts.

Don't worry, they mention this later so that means it's not a plothole!

phaze

Its a unique interpretation of military history.

Unique is certainly the right word. :D

Strike Witches 2-3

After subdued second, the lewd came back in full force in the third episode. Other than that dull and predictable episodes. Gonna call it quits here, my morbid curiosity can only sustain me so far. I was actually looking forward to an animated Montgomery but apparently he only shows up in late S2. Oh well.

One Piece 31-34

Those episode titles, "Everyone's Gathered! Usopp Speaks the Truth About Nami!' Really Toei ? -_- Kyousougiga had a few stinkers like that as well.

Can't say this arc managed to convert me so far. Maybe I'll eat the crow at the end of it. The character designs are even more ridiculous than HxH ones.

Superflat

LOL That's some grade-A bullshit right there. I watched the extras on the E7 movie bluray where the director said he was ready to close the book on the Eureka series.

Then he goes off and makes AO *_*

cajunator

Banned
So your going from something pure/innocent/great to something evil/sadistic/bad. Makes sense I guess.

This is going to be a rollercoster of a week for you. :p

You arent even kidding. what an insane whiplash.

I told myself I would only watch stuff I like but now I'm barely watching anything.

:(

I wish I could go back to those days where I hadn't seen every trope 100 times and grown sick and tired of their complete lack of innovation.

I miss those days too. Everything felt new and exciting. Nowadays theres the occasional really good show but at least I really love cuteness so anime is still very relevant to me of course.

Not just best girl in front but the OTP as the focal point. Truly a great piece of art.

Been finishing more shows from last season cause I'm a slacker. Chaika's last arc was fantastic, such an amazing show. Easily the best thing BONES has done in years. On the opposite end Brynhildr might be one of the worst shows I've watched in years. Yeesh.

Yeah Chaika was really enjoyable. I knew it would be from the moment I saw the premise and the character but Bones seems to have done a great job on it (I never saw the manga)
Cant wait for S2!

You should move that to the top of the list. :)

I posted that Kobeni gif for a reason! (Also hoping osmeone would webm it which hasnt happened) *pouts

Cardcaptor Sakura 3

ibytvIoHBi4QyN.jpg

I think I see why cajun likes this show.

Pancakes!

Is it just me, or do all the guys have really wide shoulders and proportionally small heads?

Voyeurism ho!

Random mention of a walk-in freezer.

Well, I'm glad Sakura isn't slow on the uptake.

Yukito with an axe. Somehow I find that a bit unsettling.

And Kero is turning into Woofdawg with these bad puns.

Hehee penguins!!
Sakura definitely knows whats up! As you would expect from the queen of squee.

Watching AnoHana.

Halfway into episode 4. I'm sorry, but this huge plothole is driving me absolutely insane.

If Menma can touch things, make freaking bread...why can't she just make something float in air to prove she exists? Push someone. Do anything Even if she really isn't real and it's all in Jintan's head, this is something she should have thought of while Jintan was being made fun of. Fuck. It's driving me nuts.

This show has a ton of heart but it was just really inconsistent. A lot of little details and character actions were questionable at best but I think it tied together into a nice finale.

This hurts my soul. Shaft why do you tease?

cajunator

Banned
Why would you do that. There's a scene where Hap and Stoner try to rape Eureka.

Please do not watch the sequel next unless you like:

Code:
-TRUTH
-White haired pretty boys with magic energy powers
-Retcons which shit all over the ending to the first series for no reason
-Poorly handled time travel!
-The idea of Renton being Holland instead of Renton
-TRUTH
-Fake horns
-Irritating references to other anime
-And much, much worse

But it has Elena Peoples in it Corvy. I loved Elena.
Thoraxes understands my conflict.

I'm just reminded of this lol

WzQMeoM.jpg

I approve of her priorities.

This hurts my soul. Shaft why do you tease?

It's Daxel (the pachinko game maker) advertising their pachinko game. They're likely the ones who control the copyright and any additional advertising (including any possible animation adaptation). Shaft was likely just contracted to do the animation like most pachinko games.

In other news, Amagi Brilliant Park's PV from the TBS and Kadokawa booths at Comiket was uploaded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puhgIUber9s

(Remember, it's not Bonta-kun, but Moffuru!)

I'm hoping Ishida re-unites with Takemoto for this as the color design for Hyouka was amazing and this seems to be close. Might be Miyata though (Kyoukai color design). Otherwise standard PV with cuts from episode 1 (and maybe 2/3) (finished for the TBS Anime Festa earlier this month).

Branduil

It's Daxel (the pachinko game maker) advertising their pachinko game. They're likely the ones who control the copyright and any additional advertising (including any possible animation adaptation). Shaft was likely just contracted to do the animation like most pachinko games.

In other news, Amagi Brilliant Park's PV from the TBS and Kadokawa booths at Comiket was uploaded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puhgIUber9s

I'm hoping Ishida re-unites with Takemoto for this as the color design for Hyouka was amazing and this seems to be close. Might be Miyata though (Kyoukai color design). Otherwise standard PV with cuts from episode 1 (and maybe 2/3) (finished for the TBS Anime Festa earlier this month).
Um. Well. Believe in Takemoto?

cajunator

Banned

Oh god, hook it to my veins. Best girl is definitely the tomboy. Probably wont change.

I hugged him. Now he has anime germs.
But last time I hugged someone famous on twitter it was Hideki Kamiya and he blocked me.

Looks like Princess Mononoke and Kiki will be released on blu ray over here in November!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00MMPB3VG/15-24-20/

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00MMPB4ME/20-502-20/

Is it bad that I preordered these without even thinking about it?

Conan-san

Reading the wiki on the movie felt like I was reading a fanfic.

The stuff was so bad I could almost see a "Warning! Extremely AU! Characters may get a bit OOC, but it's my first fic so please be gentle" plot summary at the top of the page.
I like the movie because it made it's point perfectly; "We are not like what we were told to be and that's fine."

Ao can fuck right off and be consigned to hell alongside Prince of Darkness and Madoka Rebellion, though. Such compete and utter character assassination tripe.

mankoto

Glasslip 07
Oh boy, we're changing the rules on their powers. And maybe her sightseeing is getting stronger too. I don't think she looked at glass at all this episode and still got visions.

What the heck Sacchi. I thought you were cool...

Superflat

Sengoku Collection episode 1

Hataraku Mau-sama-like premise but with more plain humor and lots of fanservice.

It's b-tier quality, but it's colorful and has a unique look to it.

Character is cute. No idea how this is a 2-cour show.

cajunator

Banned
Only amvs I have seen are the amv hell videos and the greatest amv ever.

This is still my favorite. animix project. 1 hour of dance music, and its the awesome 90's era stuff. Incredible energy. Truly a golden era.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXYeDzcRggY

Another great one is Hall Om Mig featuring Princess Tutu (spoilers everywhere)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9197GTl1ASg

Don't remind me pupa exists. Who in their right mind though that a show where each episode ended before it began was a good idea. I want that man fired.

Onii-chan~ CRUNCH CRUNCH NOM

Jesus Christ that everything!

To the highest tier of waifu/breeding material she goes.

And here I thought Brown had the best body.

Hmm. Boobs too big. No good. shes cute though.

Unique is certainly the right word. :D

Strike Witches 2-3

After subdued second, the lewd came back in full force in the third episode. Other than that dull and predictable episodes. Gonna call it quits here, my morbid curiosity can only sustain me so far. I was actually looking forward to an animated Montgomery but apparently he only shows up in late S2. Oh well.

One Piece 31-34

Those episode titles, "Everyone's Gathered! Usopp Speaks the Truth About Nami!' Really Toei ? -_- Kyousougiga had a few stinkers like that as well.

Can't say this arc managed to convert me so far. Maybe I'll eat the crow at the end of it. The character designs are even more ridiculous than HxH ones.

Add Vividred Operation to your list too.

cajunator

Banned

First Prism Nana, then the Palutena shorts. Too many wonderful Shaft things not being made into anime :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom