• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

Ojamajo Doremi ♯ 42
This was an episode full of big words and questions, addressing more directly an important aspect of the setting that had been touched upon before. It's not unthinkable that apathy and lethargy would become default modes of life on the witch world if they are isolated for so long. Compared with the usual Doremi episode, this doesn't really address the grounded issues that come up in human life (like, say, 40 did so well), but it focuses on the effects magic has on the people in touch with it -Majo Ran, in this case- and other big-picture affairs. It's a fairly 'different' episode in that regard and it took me by surprise.

Yamauchi's peculiar way of editing and staging dialogue works very well sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't work so well. This episode in particular felt like a bit of a mixed bag, with sequences that just felt off-kilter for no good reason contrasted against stretches of genuinely good directing. In the end, I think the unusual subject matter for the show and the good tie-in to Majo Heart's character make the episode a success.

I agree on the :cnet stuff but it's like he's trying to get peo.... oh it's phil fish
That's not funny.

A tie is permissible.
*Added to "people with good taste" category.
I said it looked bad and still think the same. It's a pretty vapid empty show. However, it's still enjoyable despite that. It just won't ever rank highly on any list I would make.

I think I'll probably end up enjoying this more than idolm@ster though. Xenoglossia has forever tainted the franchise for me and I really dislike idol based stuff.

Besides, if it gets somebody else watch a good show, I'll gladly sit though terrible shows. Like watching Infinite Stratos in exchange for Hyouka. I'll still bitch about them afterwards.

Does that mean that you liked xenoglossia , or am i reading this wrong ?

cajunator

Banned

The winning team since the beginning.
Her and Shinon should run away and create some amazing anime somewhere.

Tell yourself it's a deconstruction on the harem genre and it'll go down easier.

Maybe he does it to gain attention. If so, that's pretty sad. I really can't get myself to buy Fez because he can't keep his mouth shut.

Probably referring to the whole incest and pedophilia thing.

Shouldnt people go after actual pedophiles instead of wasting time chasing people who will never touch another human being?

Link Man

Banned
School Days 4

Let me spell it out for you. He doesn't want a relationship. He wants sex.

WHAT THE HELL YOU'RE AT SCHOOL YOU PERVERT!

...why does her bath have glass walls?

Cajun, are you sure that bath scenes aren't meant to be fanservice?

They're nearly the same size as her head. why

Sekai is going to tell Makoto off for touching Kotonoha's breasts? That's rich.

Guys are tools?

DID WE REALLY NEED TO KNOW THAT HE WAS JACKING OFF?

Lol, ring-hair still spying on them in the background.

Random karaoke!

WHY.

Mr.Jeff

Does that mean that you liked xenoglossia , or am i reading this wrong ?
Not especially. It had the same kind of awful teenage angst from show like Mai Hime that I don't really like. Also, despite being entirely different character types, I still have it set in my mind what some of them were like. So Chihaya and
Yukiho
will always be traitors and to be distrusted. I carry petty grudges like this.

Jex

79835.jpg

Looks like he made a few more tweets since the initial one. Someone needs to get him a dictionary because those are some big words he's using.

Can we not give the man attention? The same for shitty kotaku stories, who cares? It's just like when IGN make a top 10 list of RPG's or some such, click-bait articles devoid of thought and analysis. Heck, they aren't even funny like some ANN reviews.

Thoraxes

Can we not give the man attention? The same for shitty kotaku stories, who cares? It's just like when IGN make a top 10 list of RPG's or some such, click-bait articles devoid of thought and analysis. Heck, they aren't even funny like some ANN reviews.

image.php

I had to, but I'm joking of course.

Jex

So I was chatting with Risette very briefly about Miyazaki's Kiki's Delivery Service and I happened to mention how it didn't feel like a normal Miyazaki movie. Then I remembered that I had read up on how the film got made and, well, just listen to this:

Based on a successful Japanese children's book by Eiko Kadono, the film was written and directed by Miyazaki, who had planned to act solely as producer but found himself drawn further into the project when the script produced by a junior didn't seem to capture the spirit of the hoped-for audience of preteen and teenage girls. The young director proposed for the project felt intimated as the thought of working on Miyazaki's script, so Miyazaki had no option but to direct it himself.(Hayo Miyazaki, Master of Japanese Animation, Helen McCarthy)

I personally can't think of a better way to summarise all the problems that Studio Ghibli faced. Is it any surprise that they find themselves in their current predicament?

Angelic Layer Ep. 20

One of this show's problems is that the fights typically aren't compelling enough to distract from the shortcomings in the writing. In this episode Misaki faces a new model of angel that has a clear advantage over Hikaru, but how she ends up winning isn't all that coherent.
So I was chatting with Risette very briefly about Miyazaki's Kiki's Delivery Service and I happened to mention how it didn't feel like a normal Miyazaki movie. Then I remembered that I had read up on how the film got made and, well, just listen to this:

I personally can't think of a better way to summarise all the problems that Studio Ghibli faced. Is it any surprise that they find themselves in their current predicament?
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Miyazaki has a personality disorder.

cajunator

Banned
I'd post a few choice webms, but i'd get banned so hard.

I just google searched this. Condensed milk?

Angelic Layer Ep. 20

One of this show's problems is that the fights typically aren't compelling enough to distract from the shortcomings in the writing. In this episode Misaki faces a new model of angel that has a clear advantage over Hikaru, but how she ends up winning isn't all that coherent.

You are definitely looking WAY too much into it instead of just enjoying the fights. This is very very standard anime tournament stuff.

Not especially. It had the same kind of awful teenage angst from show like Mai Hime that I don't really like. Also, despite being entirely different character types, I still have it set in my mind what some of them were like. So Chihaya and
Yukiho
will always be traitors and to be distrusted. I carry petty grudges like this.

i was always under the impression that xenoglossia and mai -hime were made by the same overall team.i might be wrong of cours ebut that's the feelign i got.

OceanBlue

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Myazaki has a personality disorder.

Not that there haven't been other noted problems people had working with Miyazaki, but my impression from that quote was that the previous director was the one who got Miyazaki to direct the movie.

Edit: OT, but fuck, the Ferguson stuff is really depressing. I need to stay away from that thread for a bit. :(

Rokojouma no Shinryakusha - 06

Again a great episode..we're heading toward the princess arc and i hope this will bring some reveals on the table. Let's hope that the threat is real this time

of course i'm talking about
the bettle.

Jex

I mean, possibly, but the same could be said about many talented, perfection driven creators. When you read Miyazaki's own words, whether it's notes on his art work or his personal essays, one clear theme you can find running through them is the need to create the best possible work. Miyazaki isn't even satisfied with his work, no matter how many countless hours he poured into it. Can you even begin to imagine what he thinks about other people's efforts? Can you imagine what it would feel like to have him review your 'best'? It must be crushing.

Branduil

That's pretty much the message I got from The Wind Rises.

I guess it's time for my Wind Rises theory again:

Okay so with that out of the way, time for my crackpot The Wind Rises theory that will explain The True Story™.

Jiro is a guy who lives in his own head, and indulges in escapist fantasy. We see this from the beginning with his dream about flying and meeting Caproni. He's also a guy who hates injustice, but often feels powerless to do anything about it, and so he internalizes those feelings as well. While traveling to Tokyo on a train, he has a cute encounter with a girl.
Suddenly, a massive earthquake rocks Tokyo. The girl is killed during the train crash.
Jiro suffers a psychotic break from this and escapes into his own dreams,
imagining the girl living, and himself as a hero who helps her and her family.
Years pass and Jiro is still an introverted loner designing planes for the government. Stress over the inevitable evil uses of his planes and the failure of one of his tests causes him to take a vacation. At his resort he sees a cute girl painting and later
finds out she is sick with tuberculosis.
He remembers the girl from the train and imagines in his fantasy that this is
the same girl from all those years ago, that she actually lived, and now he can fall in love with her.
Motivated by this new dream, Jiro works harder than ever on his planes, coming up with ingenious, never-been-done-before designs. Despite this, his sister is still worried about him and confronts him on
his delusions, but he just imagines it as concern for his (fake)wife.
With his dream plane completed, Jiro finally realizes he can live and
"kills off" his delusion.
His sister visits his home and when she finds the empty room with the letters "she" wrote, she realizes the depth of his
madness, but she's stopped from confronting him by Kurokawa's wife, who points out the content of the letters mean Jiro has ended his dream.
And then, the final proof:
Naoko appears in Jiro's final dream; you know, the repeated ones he also has with the fake Caproni. Her disappearance signifies both that she was never real, and that Jiro is finally able to let her go.

Further evidence: Wind is a major theme of the movie, especially the wind rising.
Naoko is a symbol of wind in the movie, and as is pointed out "no one has seen the wind." Naoko is the invisible(because she's not real) wind
that supports Jiro's dream.

TL;DR
Naoko is an imaginary waifu Jiro's mind created to help him deal with his issues and teach him to live.

How is this show? I've been wondering if I'd enjoy it. I haven't been keeping up with impressions for the show either so I don't really know anything about it.

It's a mix between seriousness and comedy , the premise is stupid but it works ..the fanservice amount is low and they abuse of some anime tropes for comedy.

As of 6 episodes , it's very enjoyable.

Yes it's mainly comedy with ep 4&5 having a little of drama.

It's not a GREAT comedy , it's just a good anime, i can't find anything wrong with it since the character are enjoyable ( except one , but she improve day by day )

No, it's no surprise.

The man is a great director yeah, but it seems the studio fall in a fantasy land where only the big man, Miyazaki himself, is capable of directing a Ghibli film in all the world (or Takahata). The people in the studio believe only him could do it so they never even tried to be ambitious and rise to that position, the typical Japanese respect for your superior and for great artists got twisted and amplified, and also it seems Miyazaki believed the same, look at the famous paragraph where he says it's normal Ghibli disappearing when he finally stops directing.
Hosoda could do it.
And with the years they have fallen more and more in the trap, incapable of getting out now even when they want to. Now it's too late, the steps to improve the situations should have been done 10 years ago.

Clov

It's been a pretty good year for getting older anime on BD in North America. We've already had Nadia and CCS, and coming soon there's Bubblegum Crisis, Cowboy Bebop, Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service... I'm pretty happy with that, at least.

OceanBlue

It's a mix between seriousness and comedy , the premise is stupid but it works ..the fanservice amount is low and they abuse of some anime tropes for comedy.

As of 6 episodes , it's very enjoyable.

Yes it's mainly comedy with ep 4&5 having a little of drama.

It's not a GREAT comedy , it's just a good anime, i can't find anything wrong with it since the character are enjoyable ( except one , but she improve day by day )

I see. Doesn't sound too bad. The promo material made it sound like Korezon, but I didn't know what to actually expect lol. I'm probably going to juggle between giving this a try and finishing Oregairu.

Clov

Once Porco Rosso and spirited away are out on blu ray I'll buy my ghibli favorite film trifecta with mononoke.

I'll be getting those two when they're up for preorder for sure. I especially can't wait for Porco Rosso; that one's definitely in my top ten anime films.

On a Takahata-related note, I still need to watch My Neighbours the Yamadas. Looks really fun.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'd try to remedy it but I can't post actual proof here to set things straight.

It's lewd though.
I think the more awkward thing is the sister pimping out her younger sister to perform roles that are essentially about girls becoming addicted to sex. lol

Kiki > Totoro > Porco > *
I agree with your post title.

looks like a hentai to me.
It's about a girl who voices hentai games. So a lot of it is American Pie-type sex humour. Like, I'm sure one of the gifs that Thoraxes has is the one where the main character "enjoys" a popsicle in the most elaborate manner possible.

Clov

Much better plane film than the recent ghibli film. That one was just plane boring.

While I like Porco Rosso more than The Wind Rises, I didn't find the latter boring at all. I thought it was a really interesting film, actually. It was a really nice work about imagination, and I feel it's a great way to bring Miyazaki's major works to a close.

Rokujouma no Shinryakusha - 06

Ghost maybe my favorite of all the girls but the heavy shipping they're doing with MC and the club president is totally ok in my book. They make a cute couple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom