• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go_Ly_Dow

Mushishi 26 - Season 1 Fin

krUly4W.png
VSJJFy9.jpg

Fantastic finish to the most tranquil anime of all time.

Thank the heavens there's another season and a OAV to watch.

Masterpiece.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I've read the vn. And i still highly disliked Shirou. One route he's sexist the other it felt like a shonen power trip since he was useless in one route. Didn't mind him too much on heavens feel but I was probably just trying to finish the story. The saving women with the penis comment still stands though.

I just heavily dislike the characters in FSN vs FZ though outside of the Lancer in FSN. Maybe the Berserker is decent. The rest were uninspired for me, at the very least design wise. Shirou's wardrobe at least looks decent in the Ufotable anime. But Taiga will be in this.

Also unlike many here I don't like Rin that much. Funny cause I usually like the tsundere.
Why he's directly copying his future self who has 20 years worth of experience of course he power up faster than fate who went through is normal training. Anyway I liked Shirou in UBW pretty much because he permeates symbolism, UBW is a symbolic representation of his ideal and ideology in general. The ability to put shape to your mind (tracing) and make said ideal a reality (UBW). Much like Shirou's struggles in he's only able to produce fleeting temporary, because the reality of the world crushes it much like the world physically prevents any reality marbles from being created. Then you have the symbolism with the sword and Shirou's character, he doesn't judge people and he doesn't take into account the morality of the people he was forced to kill (as archer mocking tells Saber), a tool like a sword conveniently used conveniently throw away. Then there's the symbolism with the Japanese archery, his poem and many others.

That's why I find it difficult to understand somebody that says he's a straight up bad character. He's flawed but he has more depth and thought into him than pretty much any character in Fate by far and many characters in general. You can write essays on the dude. The more you think about it the more you realise what the author was trying to get across. For example read the literal translation of Archers UBW and compare and contrast with
Shirou's

That's why I find it difficult to understand somebody that says he's a straight up bad character. He's flawed but he has more depth and thought into him than pretty much any character in Fate by far and many characters in general. You can write essays on the dude. The more you think about it the more you realise what the author was trying to get across. For example read the literal translation of Archers UBW and compare and contrast with
Shirou's

Well, symbolism in itself doesn't for a good character, but I really find Shirou to be an interesting character nonetheless. More importantly, I realize that Woofington has implicitly admitted that he heavily dislikes Kotomine in FSN, so his entire opinion is automatically invalidated.

wonzo

Banned
Barakamon 7

I still really like this but it bums me out it hasn't reached the comedic and emotional peaks of the fantastic first episode since. :(

sabagebu 4

would watch magical sumo bulimia mc spinoff

Angelic Layer Ep. 25

Oh god, this went down worse than I had expected. The drama spiked, it conveniently rained, I laughed, there was a lot of needless talking, and Misaki's passivity hit a new low.
I just love that instead of giving them more time to get reacquainted with each other everyone thought it was a good idea to continue the match. They hadn't spoken in seven fucking years. Sure they had the talk at the coffee shop but come on. The contrivances were barely covered up.

Aldnoah Zero 7

Unsurprisingly that was weak as hell.

-Surprise super secret dock found in the middle of nowhere, and the missile-arm just happened the bad luck to open it for them!
-Here it's the Aldnoah Zero, I imagine.
-Not only that, they found a "flying ship", so animu~! It happens to be a direct upgrade from their tactical carrier to a scifi battleship. A proper mobile homebase like other animus.
-Martians still dumb as fuck. If the fists were invulnerable where they didn't move... why would she open the "hand"?? She needn't to! She only has to use them as the beginning, closed fists like rocks that hit stuff, instead of trying to "catch" them with the hand.
-A confusion with Slaine and both showing a stubborn attitude instead of proper explaining of what happened creates some conflict in them. Which seems kind of artificial drama to me, because the past episodes hammered us down how super smart Inaho is, but here he happens to not have patience or social acumen.

Mature

Ai-Mai-Mi - Mousou Catastrophie 6

aimaimis26.jpg

mad as fuck more people itt arent watching this but at the same time
sabu.png
deadmanny.png
I just finished the first series(?) on CR a few minutes ago randomly. I enjoyed it an awful lot for something I just stumbled upon. Is this just more of the same? I'll definitely catch up.

Shergal

Ai Mai Mi has a bizarrely appealing look from the screens I have seen here and there. It's one of those short shows I always have in my mind but never watch, like Nandaka Velonica or Marie & Gali. I should start getting to it, if Pupipo is any indication they should be a breeze to marathon.

wonzo

Banned
wonzo, you need to do a top ten short episode series list. Since you're the connoisseur of them around here.
hmmn, that'd be kinda hard as

a) i kinda fiorget which is and which isnt a short series
b) havent been paying much attention to them the few past seasons
c) have some i still wanna first
d) recency bias etc

but yeah ok i'll give it a shot

1) pupipo
2) inferno cop
3) yama no susume s1
4) nandaka velonica
5) ai mai mi
6) teekyuu
7) turning girls
8) puchimas
9) marie & gali (havent actually watched this but good people™ i can trust hold it pretty highly so might as well)
10) chi's cat thing (ditto)
11) ribbon-chan/wooser/haitai nanafa aka the pretty decent and worth a watch but not really list worthy tier

wonzo

Banned
roundcat am cry
Another short episode show I enjoyed was Yurumates.
yea those two were good as were azazel-san and tonari no seki-kun but the latter is a two cour thing so im not sure if it really counts as a short…

oh and there was that one about the pocket sized old man that noone finished subbing due to the messed up episode order

fireball charming owned even if it was cg and i vaguely remember high score filling a weird teekyuu/ai mai mi niche but it was flash as fuck so dont hold me to that

oh shit there was that uchurei one with the alien ghost thing

also cant forget the one with the shibainu that goes to high school and i guess detroit metal city counts if you include ~12 min things which mean i need to include a whole heap of other things

and robot girls z if shortlived ova's matter too

in which case you'd have to add giant robo and a bunch a hipster shit ive forgotten the name of

and

and

shit. the list is already destroyed
qq.gif
deadpuchi.png

wonzo

Banned
hanayamata 1

hanayamata1.jpg

wanted to give this a chance due to firehawk pimping it on his podcast and the dancing setting but i just cant stand another ep of the overwrought drama, downs syndrome alien looking things, and the tumblresque filtering

hmmn, that'd be kinda hard as

a) i kinda fiorget which is and which isnt a short series
b) havent been paying much attention to them the few past seasons
c) have some i still wanna first
d) recency bias etc

but yeah ok i'll give it a shot

1) pupipo
2) inferno cop
3) yama no susume s1
4) nandaka velonica
5) ai mai mi
6) teekyuu
7) turning girls
8) puchimas
9) marie & gali (havent actually watched this but good people™ i can trust hold it pretty highly so might as well)
10) chi's cat thing (ditto)
11) ribbon-chan/wooser/haitai nanafa aka the pretty decent and worth a watch but not really list worthy tier
yea those two were good as were azazel-san and tonari no seki-kun but the latter is a two cour thing so im not sure if it really counts as a short…

oh and there was that one about the pocket sized old man that noone finished subbing due to the messed up episode order

fireball charming owned even if it was cg and i vaguely remember high score filling a weird teekyuu/ai mai mi niche but it was flash as fuck so dont hold me to that

oh shit there was that uchurei one with the alien ghost thing

also cant forget the one with the shibainu that goes to high school and i guess detroit metal city counts if you include ~12 min things which mean i need to include a whole heap of other things

and robot girls z if shortlived ova's matter too

in which case you'd have to add giant robo and a bunch a hipster shit ive forgotten the name of

and

and

shit. the list is already destroyed
qq.gif
deadpuchi.png
Thanks, I'll look into these. I had 5 minute episode shows in mind but 12 minutes is fine, really anything with a substantially shorter runtime.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I disagree completely.

Look, at this point I'm only skimming through this series on the vague chance that there will be some well directed, well animated action sequences. Anything else is actually a complete waste of my time, hence the episode was uneventful for me. Watching poorly written characters interact is nothing but white noise.
SAO isn't a series with a foot forward for action first, and when it does feature action scenes they're usually poop. You are setting yourself up to be disappointed by placing expectations on a series tailored to some weird personal interest. You might as well be those people going into Space Dandy early on that complained there was no overarching narrative.
On a structural level, on paper, I can understand the idea of 'taking a break' between set pieces to 'flesh out' the characters but practically nothing that was said this episode developed anyone to any substantial degree. The most 'important' aspects, such as Sinons inescapable desire for Kirito could have been handled in a few minutes, the rest of the time was just spent on the rest of the harem saying things we already knew. It didn't develop or enrich anything and it's pretty clear that this episode just stretched out those interactions as long as possible so that it filled up the whole 20 minute runtime and they wouldn't actually have to do any action sequences.
You guys are so obsessed with the harem image that you've created for Kirito that you can't even get away from it. More stuff happened inside of this episode than the previous two, which were basically just a virtual poop stain of unexciting action scenes that carried no weight and did nothing to establish character to any of the numerous faceless enemies.

but, like femmeworth said arguing about the merits of this completely mediocre show isn't really worth it. so you'll kind of just have to excuse me for cutting this to be sort of short and lazy and hope that it pays off in me bothering to spend the time writing about dennou coil instead. kirito is becoming the vietnam vet that he was always meant to be, withdrawing from his social circle. these are people that he relied on at some point in time that he doesn't feel like he can go to anymore. sinon is finding motivation in her rivalry with kirito, but creeper boy buddy is making weird moves on her at an uncomfortable time because jealousy and whatever. these are probably the most important things to happen in the show since it started.

if you want to make fun of the show post asuna's dead pan stare, or the ridiculous imagery of death that comes in the hospital with scenes of bodies being moved around on gurnees, and flashes to white lillies that are seemingly nowhere in an actual scene. or the god damn balloon.
jc. like, there is so much dumb stuff in this show to target if you actually want to.

Trying to raise the level of discourse concerning that show seems like a fruitless effort. Both in that the show isn't worth it and you aren't going to convince anyone.
Convince ? no need . 95% of the watchers are watching the show to nitpick it.
The nitpick is so bad i've decided to watch the show at some other time because i' can't stand all that hyperbole ( the hyperbole is as bad as S1 )

I was thinking yesterday that the hatewatching hasn't been "as bad" this season as it was with the first. Perhaps because we don't have kayos spamming fan art and one line posts any time anyone even mentioned the show this time round, there seems to be less SAO hate watch traffic for the second season. Is it better than the first season and therefore less irritating? Are fewer people watching it? Has all of that moved to the show OT?
Oh it's worse IMO,

Don't get me wrong Sao S1 wasn't nearly close to be a great anime..but the only différence despite the nitpicking is that at least people are aware that they can't write the same thing every week in order for it to become truth one day.

Firemind

For once I agree with dimb.

I criticize shows for being badly drawn/written/directed, but then I'll drop them. You guys are like: "This episode was so bad it made me physically and mentally ill. It'll get better eventually, right?" It's getting to the point of borderline masochism. :lol

Quasar

I criticize shows for being badly drawn/written/directed, but then I'll drop them. You guys are like: "This episode was so bad it made me physically and mentally ill. It'll get better eventually, right?" It's getting to the point of borderline masochism. :lol

I don't know about that last bit. They'd prefer shows not to 'get better'.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Indeed, the only shows I haven't done this with are the ones that get aired on Toonami since groupwatch and all that.

Ok, just watched one anime from the list that the people here gave me. The first one:

Inferno Cop

I....don't know what to say, really. The almost static sprites, the real life backgrounds, the shorter episodes, the nonsensical plot, the voices, the sound and visual effects. However, in the end I liked it, it had a "so bad it is good" charm to it. The
judgement, the Hellfire Boy and the bouncing bullet
were some of my favorite parts.

FBI, FBI!

Midonin

Haiyore Nyaruko-san F OVA announced
That's not a Kamen Rider reference! I was hoping that any theoretical third season would be titled Nyarko V3.

You guys are so obsessed with the harem image that you've created for Kirito that you can't even get away from it.
I see the Kirito and Sinon thing as more of a very weird therapy session than any sort of romantic/harem business.

Barakamon episode 7
You know, I'm really struggling this season to decide which one is the over-all better show between this and Nozaki-kun. This show can be described as a ray of sunshine in multiple levels. It's not even that I'm laughing out loud. Because I'm not. Not to say the comedy isn't there, it's just such a lovable cast of people all who are just enjoying themselves, and seeing Sensei's growth as a human being among them has been fun. It helps as well that it's a slice of life with a strong message on perseverance, vs another high school drama or comedy. Originality only takes you so far sure, but the execution has been largely flawless too. Good on you Barakamon I expect great things from you in the AOTY thread, though the fall shows will probably beat you on being popular franchises alone.

I recall some people saying that nothing happened, but I recall reading more about just how the show wants to bring this dramatic plot point out of nowhere just to give some form of depth to Kirito. All surrounded by everybody else in the cast revolving their lives around him. I tend to enjoy the show because it gives me this so bad it's good amusement when it comes to writing, but today's episode only had the gun hand thing and the broken heart friend zone as amusing while everything else was a bit mundane and just more fuel for Kirito-kun Gary Stu issues.

The issue is that the show gets the attention it does because it's popular. I'm sure that when AoT was airing people here were just having a nitpick fest on every issue as well. I notice how most people who were cricitizing Mahouka at first are basically gone or have stopped hate-watching the show already. I don't approve on hate watching for the most part.

Yeah. I feel much the same.Whilst at first glance the hilarious comedy of Nozaki-kun would put it ahead, the sweetness and heart Barakamon has makes it equally string for me upon reflection.

See I don't really feel its totally out of no-where. I felt it was much needed, but probably this would have been better served if they showed the whole recovery part that got skipped over. Not that the books did much with it either. But not showing the fallout from season one, both in terms of recovery for the survivors as well as the wider fallout was I think I mistake. But then I guess it would be a different kind of show.

And really the other casts lives seem perfectly fine to me. You have his girlfriend and cousin visibly worried about what he's up to (which seems reasonable to me), whilst the rest of his friends are out and about continuing on with their lives though still want to checkout their friend in the competition he's in.

I can't decide between Nozaki and Barakamon either. Giving the sight edge to Barakamon for that first episode.

Barakamon 7

I noticed that Tama has disappeared from the show. Other than that another great episode

I mean she appeared in 2 scenes from episode 6 like here if you look closely.

tumblr_na21ohM3GK1qcsnnso1_500.gif

And at the last scene. Though I don't know about episode 7 since I haven't seen it yet. She's probably taking a break .

Jex

SAO isn't a series with a foot forward for action first, and when it does feature action scenes they're usually poop. You are setting yourself up to be disappointed by placing expectations on a series tailored to some weird personal interest. You might as well be those people going into Space Dandy early on that complained there was no overarching narrative.
What reasons I have for watching the series are entirely of my own choosing and I'm not too fussed whether or not they align what the show itself thinks it it. You seem to be implying that I am, for want of a better term, 'watching it wrong'.

I certainly won't pretend to watch the show for it's character or narrative because the writing is garbage.

fertygo

No Haikyuu! in this week? boo.
did you see sinon clench her fist? you might have missed it with her crotch in your face

The shot that I recognize the most is when Sugu hugging Kirito from the back, okay if we not gonna complaining bout the act, but why she bending in such a weird way while doing it lol. I only can laugh awkwardly seeing that.

JoeFu

Banned
No Haikyuu! in this week? boo.

The shot that I recognize the most is when Sugu hugging Kirito from the back, okay if we not gonna complaining bout the act, but why she bending in such a weird way while doing it lol. I only can laugh awkwardly seeing that.

it took me an hour to watch the episode

I had to take breaks. I don't know why I watch this show....

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
That happens to me all the time with Crunchyroll on PS3, PS4, and Roku.

It only seems to happen as soon as the episode is put up, but it returns to normal after an hour or two.

I see. Yeah I've never tried to watch an episode as soon as it goes up other than on PC because for some reason it takes a couple hours for it to show up on PS4 after it does on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom