• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

I've started watching D-Frag twice, but I can never make it past the few episode. I dunno why, it's not really bad, but 2yandere4me I guess.

Link Man

Banned
School Days 7

Holy crap, Setsuna is tiny.

Kotonoha is an idiot. A complete buffoon.

Haha, they keep using that Mario 64 star sound effect.

You don't mess with somebody else's phone, you witch.

Yikes, talk about mood whiplash!

...do the show's writers just really hate Kotonoha, or something?
I'm starting to wonder if she'll ever break and go psycho.

Well, I guess I spoke too soon.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Terror in Resonance 6
The chess thing seems kind of silly but I guess we'll see where it goes next episode.
XirBL0x.jpg
The only possible outcome.

Space Dandy 20

This episode was so blatantly JoJo. Gotta give this show props for doing two musical eps. Pretty good ep, thought the High School Musical one was better though. Might watch this one subbed too to see the differences.

Also that was totally the Ideon. And the GaoiGaiGar.

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 1
The hell's up with this lame ass stock??

toei pls...

The stock footage here really is terrible, partly because of lack of flow, and the fact that it's the longest of stock footage. Motto!'s stock is the low point of all stock footage in Doremi.

Terror in Resonance 6

AKA my little terrorists can't be this moe!

The chess thing seems kind of silly but I guess we'll see where it goes next episode.

I say this every week but Kanno's OST continues to be amazing.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the awkward running animation at the end. Well, at least it looked funny awkward to me the way they swung their arms.

Branduil

Space Dandy 20

Unlike the previous episode, this one stuck with one idea, and did it well.

Next episode looks weird, in a good way.

Space Dandy - 20
There was something about how the first half's banter between Dandy and the emperor was directed and framed that gave me some Cromartie vibes. I liked this episode quite a bit.

Phatmac

Great performance from JYB as Johnny. Solid banter between both Johnny and Dandy which was pretty fun. The ending with Voltron was great too. Solid episode with great music from Dropkix.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Sword Art Online 2 07
I get that people are basically just tuning in to dump on this show at this point, but this episode was really needed as a structural breather to the virtual world diving, and there was actually way more character development and moments where relationships between characters were further defined. Not saying it was good, but honestly it's kind of annoying to see people freaking out about SAO on a weekly basis over nothing. There are legitimate criticisms that can be levied against the show but saying this episode was uneventful is kind of disingenuous.

i aint gonna let the stupidity of anime fans dictate my (correct) use of a word

I played the game because I enjoy comedy. I enjoyed Surgeon Simulator as well and QWOP back in the days. It's not like I consider it the best game ever, but it had charm to it. I've never even seen people call it anything more than a very enjoyable game. If any game were to have people call their fans pretentious I would think it'd be Souls titles, and I'm part of those fans.

Barakamon 7
The comedy in the last two episodes has been much stronger, probably because the focus isn't on Naru as much. Hopefully it doesn't drop off now that those characters have left.

Sword Art Online 2 07

I get that people are basically just tuning in to dump on this show at this point, but this episode was really needed as a structural breather to the virtual world diving, and there was actually way more character development and moments where relationships between characters were further defined. Not saying it was good, but honestly it's kind of annoying to see people freaking out about SAO on a weekly basis over nothing. There are legitimate criticisms that can be levied against the show but saying this episode was uneventful is kind of disingenuous.
Trying to raise the level of discourse concerning that show seems like a fruitless effort. Both in that the show isn't worth it and you aren't going to convince anyone.

Quasar

Sword Art Online 2 07

Thats animeGAF.

Barakamon 7
The comedy in the last two episodes has been much stronger, probably because the focus isn't on Naru as much. Hopefully it doesn't drop off now that those characters have left.

Heh? Naru's like one of the best things about this show. You can't hate her. Naru's love Naru's life.

Barakamon episode 7
You know, I'm really struggling this season to decide which one is the over-all better show between this and Nozaki-kun. This show can be described as a ray of sunshine in multiple levels. It's not even that I'm laughing out loud. Because I'm not. Not to say the comedy isn't there, it's just such a lovable cast of people all who are just enjoying themselves, and seeing Sensei's growth as a human being among them has been fun. It helps as well that it's a slice of life with a strong message on perseverance, vs another high school drama or comedy. Originality only takes you so far sure, but the execution has been largely flawless too. Good on you Barakamon I expect great things from you in the AOTY thread, though the fall shows will probably beat you on being popular franchises alone.

Sword Art Online 2 07

I recall some people saying that nothing happened, but I recall reading more about just how the show wants to bring this dramatic plot point out of nowhere just to give some form of depth to Kirito. All surrounded by everybody else in the cast revolving their lives around him. I tend to enjoy the show because it gives me this so bad it's good amusement when it comes to writing, but today's episode only had the gun hand thing and the broken heart friend zone as amusing while everything else was a bit mundane and just more fuel for Kirito-kun Gary Stu issues.

The issue is that the show gets the attention it does because it's popular. I'm sure that when AoT was airing people here were just having a nitpick fest on every issue as well. I notice how most people who were cricitizing Mahouka at first are basically gone or have stopped hate-watching the show already. I don't approve on hate watching for the most part.

Ace of the Diamond 44
They two halves of this episodes were complete opposites in pacing. Half an episode for a few pitches, the other half to speed to the end of the game and its aftermath.

I hadn't realized that this was extended to run until March 2015. Hopefully the pacing won't slow down too much now that they have 75+ episodes.

Quasar

Barakamon episode 7
You know, I'm really struggling this season to decide which one is the over-all better show between this and Nozaki-kun.

Yeah. I feel much the same.Whilst at first glance the hilarious comedy of Nozaki-kun would put it ahead, the sweetness and heart Barakamon has makes it equally string for me upon reflection.

I recall some people saying that nothing happened, but I recall reading more about just how the show wants to bring this dramatic plot point out of nowhere just to give some form of depth to Kirito. All surrounded by everybody else in the cast revolving their lives around him.

See I don't really feel its totally out of no-where. I felt it was much needed, but probably this would have been better served if they showed the whole recovery part that got skipped over. Not that the books did much with it either. But not showing the fallout from season one, both in terms of recovery for the survivors as well as the wider fallout was I think I mistake. But then I guess it would be a different kind of show.

And really the other casts lives seem perfectly fine to me. You have his girlfriend and cousin visibly worried about what he's up to (which seems reasonable to me), whilst the rest of his friends are out and about continuing on with their lives though still want to checkout their friend in the competition he's in.

Maybe I find the notion silly as well about the games, but that's just a complaint because I'm not into multiplayer games as much. The whole plot point of "you're switching games? How could you?!" seems extremely dumb for me, but I'm such a largely single player guy and have never played with a particular group of people in something like an MMO, so maybe in those it is a big deal when somebody big in the group stops playing.

And if there really was an arc, as small as it is, about the fallout of Sword Art Online and the recovery, they should have added it because it honestly just seems like they got out of this, found the next game and moved on zero issues yolo swaggins

Samurai Champloo 8

I'm confused...were Jin and Mugen simply robbed by the lady with the wine...or something more sinister?

But the beatboxing guy in this episode was hilarious as well as the low rider palanquin. This show confuses me but it's so good.

Quasar

Maybe I find the notion silly as well about the games, but that's just a complaint because I'm not into multiplayer games as much. The whole plot point of "you're switching games? How could you?!" seems extremely dumb for me, but I'm such a largely single player guy and have never played with a particular group of people in something like an MMO, so maybe in those it is a big deal when somebody big in the group stops playing.

Well its all about the social network aspect. MMO's are basically social networks with a game added on top.

And you know the whole network effect and its power is one reason why I'm so surprised by the PS4 success over the XB1 (in the US). I would have thought the XBL network affect so strong that people would not want to leave their friends who they always play with by switching over to Playstation. Of course if your whole group also do so its not so stressful.

And if there really was an arc, as small as it is, about the fallout of Sword Art Online and the recovery, they should have added it because it honestly just seems like they got out of this, found the next game and moved on zero issues yolo swaggins

It's a pretty big deal to switch MMOs. You're playing the the same group of people every week and they notice when you're no longer present. I played WoW with a group of guys for almost a year. I just sort of stopped playing for a few months without saying anything and when I came back everyone told me they thought I had died.

fertygo

Ace of the Diamond 44
I hadn't realized that this was extended to run until March 2015. Hopefully the pacing won't slow down too much now that they have 75+ episodes.

Aw yiss, I wonder if that means the tourney gonna long as hell, or we gonna see the rookies get into 2nd year.

BluWacky

Sword Art Online 2 07

Not saying it was good, but honestly it's kind of annoying to see people freaking out about SAO on a weekly basis over nothing.

I was thinking yesterday that the hatewatching hasn't been "as bad" this season as it was with the first. Perhaps because we don't have kayos spamming fan art and one line posts any time anyone even mentioned the show this time round, there seems to be less SAO hate watch traffic for the second season. Is it better than the first season and therefore less irritating? Are fewer people watching it? Has all of that moved to the show OT?

Quasar

I was thinking yesterday that the hatewatching hasn't been "as bad" this season as it was with the first. Perhaps because we don't have kayos spamming fan art and one line posts any time anyone even mentioned the show this time round, there seems to be less SAO hate watch traffic for the second season. Is it better than the first season and therefore less irritating? Are fewer people watching it? Has all of that moved to the show OT?

Maybe less hatewatching by people who post regularly.

Branduil

Just more predictable, I think. I haven't watched the last couple episodes yet, but other than the hilarious "traumatic backstory" episode, there is nothing novel in its badness. The ludicrous Kirito worship, the casual misogyny, the unearned clumsy attempts at gravitas, the accidental camp villains- none of it has the power to surprise any more.

It's as poorly written as ever, but nothing exceptional beyond that. But then I always felt that a lot of the over the top outrage against the first season was manufactured.

Aw yiss, I wonder if that means the tourney gonna long as hell, or we gonna see the rookies get into 2nd year.
I did a quick check to see where this goes, but the raws are so far ahead of what's translated. Well, at least they have plenty of material.

It's as poorly written as ever, but nothing exceptional beyond that. But then I always felt that a lot of the over the top outrage against the first season was manufactured.

Really now? 'Manufactured'? ...

Nah, SAO is shit and if it doesn't stop being just that I won't stop calling it out. If you guys have a problem with our arguments you can quote them and point out why that's not the case.

But then really, good luck trying to justify shit like Kirito's quasi-retcon PTSD and everything surrounding it.

Why am I watching it then? Well, it really is one of the best 'so bad it's good' shows out there because it just tries to be so darn serious. That said, I'll watch up onto one episode of the next arc that's supposedly finally going to be any good. If that's not the case I'll just drop it. Eventually hate-watching stops being worth it.

Really now? 'Manufactured'? ...

Nah, SAO is shit and if it doesn't stop being just that I won't stop calling it out. If you guys have a problem with our arguments you can quote them and point out why that's not the case.

But then really, good luck trying to justify shit like Kirito's quasi-retcon PTSD and everything surrounding it.

Why am I watching it then? Well, it really is one of the best 'so bad it's good' shows out there because it just tries to be so darn serious. That said, I'll watch up onto one episode of the next arc that's supposedly finally going to be any good. If that's not the case I'll just drop it. Eventually hate-watching stops being worth it.

I didn't say it wasn't shit. It is shit. But there was some over the top hyperbole said about season 1 that I don't think you were even here for. Nothing about this post even relates to what I actually said.

jgminto

Ace of the Diamond 44
They two halves of this episodes were complete opposites in pacing. Half an episode for a few pitches, the other half to speed to the end of the game and its aftermath.

Every episode is a single pitch.

fertygo

Ace of Diamond - 44
This eventual triangle love need co come ASAP in 2nd year..

Btw they so gonna lose at this finals/
I did a quick check to see where this goes, but the raws are so far ahead of what's translated. Well, at least they have plenty of material.

Yeah the manga is like 30-ish volume isn't it?

I hope we can get multiple season out of it like Major :D

Every episode is a single pitch.

It the dozen reaction shots to every pitch that gets me. Pitch, reaction shots, manager's internal thoughts, catcher's internal thought, conversation in the bleachers, pitcher's internal thoughts, next pitch and the cycle continues.

Ace of Diamond - 44
This eventual triangle love need co come ASAP in 2nd year..

Btw they so gonna lose at this finals/

Yeah the manga is like 30-ish volume isn't it?

I hope we can get multiple season out of it like Major :D
You can't get to the Koshien as a first year. And I think they're up to 42 volumes now.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Barakamon episode 7
You know, I'm really struggling this season to decide which one is the over-all better show between this and Nozaki-kun. This show can be described as a ray of sunshine in multiple levels. It's not even that I'm laughing out loud. Because I'm not. Not to say the comedy isn't there, it's just such a lovable cast of people all who are just enjoying themselves, and seeing Sensei's growth as a human being among them has been fun. It helps as well that it's a slice of life with a strong message on perseverance, vs another high school drama or comedy. Originality only takes you so far sure, but the execution has been largely flawless too. Good on you Barakamon I expect great things from you in the AOTY thread, though the fall shows will probably beat you on being popular franchises alone.

I recall some people saying that nothing happened, but I recall reading more about just how the show wants to bring this dramatic plot point out of nowhere just to give some form of depth to Kirito. All surrounded by everybody else in the cast revolving their lives around him. I tend to enjoy the show because it gives me this so bad it's good amusement when it comes to writing, but today's episode only had the gun hand thing and the broken heart friend zone as amusing while everything else was a bit mundane and just more fuel for Kirito-kun Gary Stu issues.

The issue is that the show gets the attention it does because it's popular. I'm sure that when AoT was airing people here were just having a nitpick fest on every issue as well. I notice how most people who were cricitizing Mahouka at first are basically gone or have stopped hate-watching the show already. I don't approve on hate watching for the most part.

Between the two shows, I give the nod to Barakamon for not being reliant on meta-textual humor.

Jex

Sword Art Online 2 07

I disagree completely.

Look, at this point I'm only skimming through this series on the vague chance that there will be some well directed, well animated action sequences. Anything else is actually a complete waste of my time, hence the episode was uneventful for me. Watching poorly written characters interact is nothing but white noise.

On a structural level, on paper, I can understand the idea of 'taking a break' between set pieces to 'flesh out' the characters but practically nothing that was said this episode developed anyone to any substantial degree. The most 'important' aspects, such as Sinons inescapable desire for Kirito could have been handled in a few minutes, the rest of the time was just spent on the rest of the harem saying things we already knew. It didn't develop or enrich anything and it's pretty clear that this episode just stretched out those interactions as long as possible so that it filled up the whole 20 minute runtime and they wouldn't actually have to do any action sequences.

I'll toss in that I may write dismissively about SAO, but at the same time I'm totally aware of when it is attempting to do something...But at the end of day this episode was about another girl falling in love with him and joining his harem, his harem talking about how amazing he is and him getting over his PTSD with the power of nurse tits. There's honestly there's not a whole lot to write about here.

To be frank I mostly watch because I like flashy fight sequences.

Jex

Unless something is exceptionally good or exceptionally bad (or if it illustrates an interesting point) I will rarely go out of my way to write extensively about it because it's would take far too much of my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom