• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Well that sounds exciting lol -____-

I could chose to describe it in a way that would make Corvo, and other's excited:

Aldnoah Zero episode 7 was Turn A Gundam meets Space Battleship Yamato meets Nadia: Secret of Blue Water meets the finale of Shin Mazinger Impact Z!

This is all 100% true.

Narag

I could chose to describe it in a way that would make Corvo, and other's excited:

Aldnoah Zero episode 7 was Turn A Gundam meets Space Battleship Yamato meets Nadia: Secret of Blue Water meets the finale of Shin Mazinger Impact Z!

This is all 100% true.

Don't do this to me.

This is all 100% true.

So this show is basically SUPPA ROBOTTO by Urobuchi?

Not sure if want...

SAO Episode 14

Why, god, why?
Why did they had to go on?
I understand that the anime is based on a LN,
and that the LN goes on,
but ending there would be so, so much better than whatever comes next. Yes, I should give it the benefit of the doubt,
but if it ended there, before the hospital scene,
I would've loved it so much.

Overall a nice episode, with a not so subtle twist.

Should've ended there, goddammit. If they pull a Lost "We have to go back" bullshit I'm gonna get so fucking mad...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

This is all 100% true.

The catch is the ensuing mix tastes really bland with some sprinkles of stupid spice.

SAO Episode 14

Why, god, why?
and that the LN goes on,
but ending there would be so, so much better than whatever comes next. Yes, I should give it the benefit of the doubt,

Should've ended there, goddammit. If they pull a Lost "We have to go back" bullshit I'm gonna get so fucking mad...

Do yourself a...uhm...'favor' and watch until (or skip until) episode 24. 'WTF's will be had. That episode is in a way still the most 'what the fuck' worthy thing I've seen in an anime (context sensitive that is, of course there's plenty fucked up anime, but for what this show is/wants to be).

Started watching D-Frag! cause a couple of you were talking about it a few days back. After the fairly meh first episode, its gotten pretty funny few more eps in. I guess the show just needed Takao to show up to really get started.

Hate the MC though. Dude just shouts.

Firemind

SAO Episode 14

Why, god, why?
and that the LN goes on,

okay, now, it's all downhill from here. :lol

[Aldnoah.Zero] - 6 & 7

Where ham-fisted, obvious writing meets robot tropes you've seen before all scored by a composer you hate.

A winning combination.

After 7 I had a existential crisis of "what am I doing with my life, wasting my time with this" and decided to drop Aldnoah already.

I mean, 7 episodes in and we have a boring and unredeemable main character fan of Wikipedia, bland secondary characters (sister, friends, captain, PTSD guy, little terrorist), villains flat as a board, boring action scenes because MC is too good, typical mech tropes, etc. I gave it more than the 3 ep. rule and that's what I got for.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Zetsumetsu Kigu Shoujo Amazing Twins 2
zRbOUDql.jpg

Oh wow, I forgot that this thing existed... it finally got subbed. Like I remember from before, this is basically SatoJun making his own version of Little Witch Academia, with magical girls performing magic shows and whatnot.

The real problem is that the OVAs were written by Mari Okada, which I didn't no when I watched the first episode ages ago but which now makes complete sense in hindsight. But, at least this OVA is only limited to 2 episodes, so it's more in like with say... the Black Rock Shooter OVA than the crappy series that came after.

Not much to say other than there is some cosmicblizzard-esque fighting scene in the middle:
PogXFCrl.jpg

And also, because it's SatoJun, a somewhat out of place reference:
ag7Fwxsl.jpg

(Does that mean SatoJun is a character in this unverise? Who knows!)

If you are a "fan" of Okada, I encourage you to watch the first episode. If you want to see SatoJun do the magical girl show thing again, it might be worth watching as well.

I wonder if this is also why SatoJun and Okada are working together on that weird mecha show M3 that no one is watching.

cajunator

Banned
SAO episode 6

Yes!
Plot Twists! Ghosts! Finally an episode that I could call very good. I liked it, the way they developed the sidestory. Also it had a cool cameo from Heisenberg in the ending (just joking, because of that hat).

But I still have some questions..how are they still alive when they have been years inside the thing and haven't been able to logout and eat, use the bathroom, etc? My friend told me that it would be explained, but I'm at episode 6 and nothing was cleared yet. Another thing is: where are them waifus at?
The only one that I liked died, so there's that.

This show has a habit of introducing characters you might actually like and then ditching them for no apparent reason in favor of Batman and his favorite piece of cardboard window dressing.

Dennou Coil Series

Dennou Coil is likely a show that many people are familiar with, but given its now somewhat dated release window for those keeping up with current shows it has likely slipped through the gap for many others. Conceptually Dennou Coil is simple. It targets youths adventuring around their own hometown, donning glasses that let blend the real world with virtual pieces. This passage to a digital realm opens up a world these children have mostly to themselves, where they can interact with virtual pets, monsters, warfare, and even entire spaces. This is a space where the imaginary teeters closer and closer to reality in a format that is easily shared by an entire group of children. Even with this basic set up of children exploring and roaming around their hometown as virtual delinquents, Dennou Coil's comprehensive attention to detail provides rich thematic elements that really have time to bloom as the story matures.

One of the most notable things about Dennou Coil is how coherent and well thought out the world is. The virtual world of the glasses is well established in terms of its potential; we see the creatures it can bring forward, both intentionally and unintentionally, and we are introduced to the interactions glasses users can have with the world. The boundaries of that are regularly pushed, but the mechanical workings of the virtual space all feel concrete. Lurking just behind that this rich history exists for this world that our cast is running around, spanning multiple generations while being presented in ways that never feels overbearing. We see the effects of characters left behind in the world inside virtual spaces, we know there are numbered cyber detectives in Mega-baa's employment who are unaccounted for from t he start, and we can tell that the hidden motivations for characters lies in the past rather than the future. Purpose for many characters lies in discovery, redemption, or atonement, and all of these feel meaningful because they are events closely tied to the past.

The well established world of Dennou Coil serves as an incredibly solid foundation for its thematic elements to be taken seriously. When Daichi is confronted with the loss of his gang of friends when he's dethroned as the leader you get the sense of inadequacy that's felt afterwards, but it means more because the club itself has a history with Daichi booting people out of the club. Stuff like this seems kind of trivial on the surface, but it makes the characters here feel all the richer for it, and as the plot continues to introduce heavier moments it still manages to maintain this tie between the past and the present.

It has to be mentioned, but it isn't just the characters themselves who feel richly detailed. The production on Dennou Coil is lavish in a way few other runs of television anime can stand up to. Backgrounds are heavily layered and stunningly realized, providing a maze of houses and buildings, intensely attractive but plain enough to feel like a genuine and familiar world. They provide the perfect setting for the imaginative set pieces and outstanding character animation, loaded with intense and colorful expressions that sell the emotion of scenes. Characters carry unique postures that fit to their personalities, with reserved characters folding their limbs in or taking up unassuming stances while brasher characters pop with hunched over figures that help them fill the expertly framed shots. There are even small subtleties to stupid things like run animations, with the main character carrying a daintier gait up until the climax of the entire show where she breaks into a full on run that carries a heavy confidence to it. Top all of this off with phenomenal but subtle effect and lighting work that helps to sell the virtual world here by distorting images and you have something that is truly special on a visual level.

Dennou Coil is astounding in every respect, spanning from a focus on what seems like delightful nostalgia for playing around as children to horror elements that mirror zombie movies. Its range is remarkable, and it executes exceptionally on each element that is brought forward. Its fun side is amusing and engaging, and its emotional side feels well realized and thoughtful. It is incredible that a show like this exists, and it should be experienced by as many people as possible because we will likely never see something like it again.

Im still pissed that this is unlicensed.

SAO Episode 7

I asked, and they delivered. A whole episode focused on Liz, new character and an awesome girl all around. Liked her a lot more than Asuna. A very good episode, even though it was just about a side character. Two good episodes in a row, hopefully it will continue like that until episode 14.

Best girl appears. Then quickly disappears. Fuck this show.

Okay wuss. 4 weeks! I don't even think we'll have to wait until next year for it to be announced, but I guess we'll see! If it doesn't happen at all next year, I'll eat a tiny hat, take a photo, and have a stupid avatar for 4 weeks. :D

Ohhhh.....

How about a catgirl?

Yes yes I agree!

Aye don't hate on my Makoto Yuki he's the best especially considering what he did at the end. He may have been emo in the beginning but he sure as hell changed later in the game for the best. Makoto is love Makoto is life. He got all the girls too.

Also I hate Linkin Park from the bottom of my heart.

You are a good person.

Hehee..
I hope this joke never gets run into the ground too much though.

I genuinely can't tell if people hate SAO as much by their own or if AnimeGAF's majority opinion clouded their vision on it in a bandwagon effect. How was the run on Toonami?

Nah it really is complete shit. I still havent watched after episode 14.
The Sinon stuff in SAOII is ok though. At least they havent ditched her.

Hamatora and Re:Hamatora are the most useless, shittiest and worst animated anime series that I have ever watched. And still here I am, watching every episode weekly. It's like a car crash that I have to see myself. This series should go to hell and never come back.

These guys clearly have no budget at all and love still shots and uguuu faces. Also the story sucks. I clearly remember the bathhouse episode where the anime went down so fast that I couldnt believe what I watched.

Why do I do this. Everybody who reads this: DONT WATCH THIS POS

Just gotta say I looooove your avatar.

News shamelessly stolen from kvin on Twitter:

PENGUINBEAR WEBSITE HAS A COUNTDOWN FROM FIVE

I bet it's five weeks :( :( :(

THE LESBIAN BEAR STORM IS COMING. BELIEVE.

:D
HYPE HYPE LESBIAN BEAR STORM

CorvoSol

This is all 100% true.

There is no way a single episode of anime could possibly live up to that. There would have to be pillars of fire screaming the name of God as they rose from Victorian Mecha while spinning a maelstrom of bearded, angry old laserbeams every which direction.

Midonin

Are there any male anime screenwriters that get the same reaction out of people as Okada does? Because I've never had too much of a problem with her, and at times it can seem like the criticism is being directed at Okada herself instead of at her writing.

Started watching D-Frag! cause a couple of you were talking about it a few days back. After the fairly meh first episode, its gotten pretty funny few more eps in. I guess the show just needed Takao to show up to really get started.

Hate the MC though. Dude just shouts.

Yo I loved the MC especially because his VA voiced Oga Tatsumi from Beezlebub. Loved his voice.

Oh yeah you also just can't blame him for yelling since he's surrounded by crazy chicks.

SAO Episode 15

FUCKING ELVES? REALLY? ELVES?!? WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

Also, his cousin is jealous because of Asuna? Really? Please tell me this is just family affection. Oh god those lines at the ending... and that cleavage shot too.

The guy in glasses is a real jerk, btw.

Sigh, what have they done.

Don't know this anime, liked the gif only.

cajunator

Banned
Watched 3 episodes last night of Madoka Magica.

wtf is this devil cat? I swear, he gives me the chills.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA
But hes so cute! You should give him a hug!

I BELIEVE IN THE BEAR THAT BELIEVES IN LESBIAN BEAR STORM

SAO Episode 15

FUCKING ELVES? REALLY? ELVES?!? WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

Also, his cousin is jealous because of Asuna? Really? Please tell me this is just family affection. Oh god those lines at the ending... and that cleavage shot too.

The guy in glasses is a real jerk, btw.

Sigh, what have they done.

Don't know this anime, liked the gif only.

I cannot comment from here. I ragequit after episode 14.

Yo I loved the MC especially because his VA voiced Oga Tatsumi from Beezlebub. Loved his voice.

Oh yeah you also just can't blame him for yelling since he's surrounded by crazy chicks.

Thats fair. I just dont like that trope where the MC is just yelling all the time. Delinquents are supposed to be quiet and douchey!

Watched 3 episodes last night of Madoka Magica.

wtf is this devil cat? I swear, he gives me the chills.

Yeah, right? I thought I was the only one that saw that cat as evil incarnated. That permanent smile is also creepy as hell.

I cannot comment from here. I ragequit after episode 14.

I thought about doing that, but eh... I rarely drop an anime, even if it is bad (unless it has something like 300+ episodes, then I say fuck it).

EDIT:
Go watch it instead of the garbage you're currently watching.

I actually didn't mind SAO that much, although the first half is much better than the latter.

I can all-but guarantee that you'll be happier watching FLCL than you are now watching the second half of SAO.

Thanks! I'll put it on my watch list, it seems that it is quite well liked here.

survivor

Banned
Zetsumetsu Kigu Shoujo Amazing Twins 2

If you are a "fan" of Okada, I encourage you to watch the first episode. If you want to see SatoJun do the magical girl show thing again, it might be worth watching as well.

I wonder if this is also why SatoJun and Okada are working together on that weird mecha show M3 that no one is watching.

This sounds good, will watch.

cajunator

Banned
Someone on twitter is very upset that I dont like SAO.
What the fuck is it with this show? I seriously dont get it. Like I honestly dont understand what of ANY value anyone sees in it unless they have like a 15 year old view of romanc-

Ohhhh.
Ok.

CorvoSol

What the fuck is it with this show? I seriously dont get it. Like I honestly dont understand what of ANY value anyone sees in it unless they have like a 15 year old view of romanc-

Ohhhh.
Ok.

Incest cults are like that.

Mature

Are there any male anime screenwriters that get the same reaction out of people as Okada does? Because I've never had too much of a problem with her, and at times it can seem like the criticism is being directed at Okada herself instead of at her writing.
What makes you think that?

Jex

That's actually a nod to the Harlock SSX OP, I think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExRay4i8QbQ

Thanks for this, Narag, I wasn't aware of this OP.

Based on this extra information I'd say that the Gurren Lagann shot is clearly based on that shot (namely the position of the figure), however this element of the Gurren Lagann shot:

glshot5whshx.jpg

is a specific call back to the Yamato shot:

2199launch4q6swm.jpg

Moreover, I'd say that the Harlock shot is also based off the Yamato launch because the ships share very, very similar visual designs.

Or to put it in a more confusing way - the Harlock shot is based off of Yamato. The Gurren Lagann shot is based off of the Harlock shot (based of the Yamato shot) but they change the shot slightly to make it more like a Yamato shot.

phaze

Diebuster 1-6 END

tryxean6.gif

Fucking hell I haven't cried like this in a long time. When I realized what they were doing my eye dams just broke. And then that music started ... Even (Gunbuster end spoilers.)
Gunbuster didn't hit me like this even though it was the same ending only from different perspective.
The emotional pull they manage to achieve in space of just six episodes is pretty remarkable. Gainax you glorious bastards. ;_;

I must say I didn't quite get what hell happened at the end of final showdown.
Like how did Lal'C survive or just what Dix-Neuf replaced his heart/ core with.
Will have to rewatch those bits. One other thing I disliked in the finale was the heavy handed melodrama that could have been handled much better. The show as a whole could have used an additional episode to let characters and events breathe a bit and maybe flesh out the rest of the Topless a bit.

Well it was no surprise given who the crew that worked on the show but the visuals were amazing. I loved this art style in FLCL and I love it here. Great mech design and an amazing sense of scale. I remember reading Diebuster served as a bit of a protoplast to Gurren and you can certainly see it.

I really liked the main duo. I'm usually not big on dumb hyper energetic characters but Nono was weirdly endearing. Whoever voiced her did a splendid job.
I missed hers more cheerful self during the last two episodes.
Though she irritated me at times Lal'C was a great character and her whole arc is immensely satisfying.
It's such a shame she won't get to watch skylarks with Nono. ;-(

I don't know if it's some Gainax Ova tradition or something but it's funny how the 3rd episode of this resembles the third episode of FLCL. Both are mostly a break from the main narrative, focus on the, so far, background character and make this chosen person (Ninamori/Tycho, go through the entirety of her character development in the space of one episode. After all that they throw the character back into the background for the remainder of the show.

I'm not quite sure what my Top10 looks like but Diebuster is certainly in it.

BluWacky

The way things are phrased, mostly.

I think it's only because we actually know who Okada is, and also that she writes a lot of high profile anime originals with her own particularly melodramatic storytelling stamp on them. It's not as if anyone takes the piss out of her for her adaptation of Toradora, for instance!

People dump on Urobuchi all the time as well these days, too, and there's the occasional mockery of Dai Sato when it's required.

There just aren't that many anime originals now with obvious authorial voices. Gone are the days of the Chiaki J Konaka mindbender shows, or even Hideyuki Kurata going completely over the top; Kawamori's still going, but basically no-one watched Nobunaga the Fool because it looked boring. Okada's work is never boring...

cajunator

Banned
Diebuster 1-6 END

tryxean6.gif

Fucking hell I haven't cried like this in a long time. When I realized what they were doing my eye dams just broke. And then that music started ... Even (Gunbuster end spoilers.)
Gunbuster didn't hit me like this even though it was the same ending only from different perspective.
The emotional pull they manage to achieve in space of just six episodes is pretty remarkable. Gainax you glorious bastards. ;_;

I must say I didn't quite get what hell happened at the end of final showdown.
Like how did Lal'C survive or just what Dix-Neuf replaced his heart/ core with.
Will have to rewatch those bits. One other thing I disliked in the finale was the heavy handed melodrama that could have been handled much better. The show as a whole could have used an additional episode to let characters and events breathe a bit and maybe flesh out the rest of the Topless a bit.

Well it was no surprise given who the crew that worked on the show but the visuals were amazing. I loved this art style in FLCL and I love it here. Great mech design and an amazing sense of scale. I remember reading Diebuster served as a bit of a protoplast to Gurren and you can certainly see it.

I really liked the main duo. I'm usually not big on dumb hyper energetic characters but Nono was weirdly endearing. Whoever voiced her did a splendid job.
I missed hers more cheerful self during the last two episodes.
Though she irritated me at times Lal'C was a great character and her whole arc is immensely satisfying.
It's such a shame she won't get to watch skylarks with Nono. ;-(

I don't know if it's some Gainax Ova tradition or something but it's funny how the 3rd episode of this resembles the third episode of FLCL. Both are mostly a break from the main narrative, focus on the, so far, background character and make this chosen person (Ninamori/Tycho, go through the entirety of her character development in the space of one episode. After all that they throw the character back into the background for the remainder of the show.

I'm not quite sure what my Top10 looks like but Diebuster is certainly in it.

that gif is horrifying.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Ohhhh.
Ok.
Link them to my review of episode 24 it was. lol

This sounds good, will watch.
Enjoy. :p
I thought the animation of the second episode was fun. But there are Okada's fingerprints all over it.

---

WtlFkJtl.jpg

PHANTASY IS REAL. The Quest is the best show of the season.

ujxSgTxl.jpg

Fog doors for Dresden!

cajunator

Banned
It's probably because your criticism sums up to: "I don't like Asuna." :lol

Asuna, Kirito, bad writing, boring settings, forgettable battles, jumping the shark, neglecting interesting characters, forcing a romantic relationship, Suguha, generic character design, unnecessary use of tentacles, 15 year old view of relationships, a forced "kid", a really really stupid set of villains, and a distinct lack of Klein.

Step

Asuna, Kirito, bad writing, boring settings, forgettable battles, jumping the shark, neglecting interesting characters, forcing a romantic relationship, Suguha, generic character design, unnecessary use of tentacles, 15 year old view of relationships, a forced "kid", a really really stupid set of villains, and a distinct lack of Klein.

That sounds really rough, a friend of mine wants me to watch SAO but I have never felt the need to watch it, I guess I'll keep away from it.

cajunator

Banned
That sounds really rough, a friend of mine wants me to watch SAO but I have never felt the need to watch it, I guess I'll keep away from it.

Well you are free to watch it. Im just vocal about my hate for it. We all have a show we cant stand. theres mine lol.
I mean I love practically everything else so I should be allowed to vehemently hate on something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom