• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

While manga sales boost from anime adaptation hype is a good news, I don't think its became deciding factor for greenlit an sequel for many cases from what I'm following, there's saying that Chihayafuru got S2 because that, but maybe that not necessarily true considering IIRC its airing on NTV that quite fond airing something niche, I don't know how much involved they are on production committee though.

For example Tokyo Ghoul got extremely huge surge in sales for the manga since the anime airing but yet I'm quite sure no S2 would announced anytime soon with no interest for the disc.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Dennou Coil Series
XkTvdy7.jpg
Dennou Coil is likely a show that many people are familiar with, but given its now somewhat dated release window for those keeping up with current shows it has likely slipped through the gap for many others. Conceptually Dennou Coil is simple. It targets youths adventuring around their own hometown, donning glasses that let blend the real world with virtual pieces. This passage to a digital realm opens up a world these children have mostly to themselves, where they can interact with virtual pets, monsters, warfare, and even entire spaces. This is a space where the imaginary teeters closer and closer to reality in a format that is easily shared by an entire group of children. Even with this basic set up of children exploring and roaming around their hometown as virtual delinquents, Dennou Coil's comprehensive attention to detail provides rich thematic elements that really have time to bloom as the story matures.
One of the most notable things about Dennou Coil is how coherent and well thought out the world is. The virtual world of the glasses is well established in terms of its potential; we see the creatures it can bring forward, both intentionally and unintentionally, and we are introduced to the interactions glasses users can have with the world. The boundaries of that are regularly pushed, but the mechanical workings of the virtual space all feel concrete. Lurking just behind that this rich history exists for this world that our cast is running around, spanning multiple generations while being presented in ways that never feels overbearing. We see the effects of characters left behind in the world inside virtual spaces, we know there are numbered cyber detectives in Mega-baa's employment who are unaccounted for from t he start, and we can tell that the hidden motivations for characters lies in the past rather than the future. Purpose for many characters lies in discovery, redemption, or atonement, and all of these feel meaningful because they are events closely tied to the past.
The well established world of Dennou Coil serves as an incredibly solid foundation for its thematic elements to be taken seriously. When Daichi is confronted with the loss of his gang of friends when he's dethroned as the leader you get the sense of inadequacy that's felt afterwards, but it means more because the club itself has a history with Daichi booting people out of the club. Stuff like this seems kind of trivial on the surface, but it makes the characters here feel all the richer for it, and as the plot continues to introduce heavier moments it still manages to maintain this tie between the past and the present.
It has to be mentioned, but it isn't just the characters themselves who feel richly detailed. The production on Dennou Coil is lavish in a way few other runs of television anime can stand up to. Backgrounds are heavily layered and stunningly realized, providing a maze of houses and buildings, intensely attractive but plain enough to feel like a genuine and familiar world. They provide the perfect setting for the imaginative set pieces and outstanding character animation, loaded with intense and colorful expressions that sell the emotion of scenes. Characters carry unique postures that fit to their personalities, with reserved characters folding their limbs in or taking up unassuming stances while brasher characters pop with hunched over figures that help them fill the expertly framed shots. There are even small subtleties to stupid things like run animations, with the main character carrying a daintier gait up until the climax of the entire show where she breaks into a full on run that carries a heavy confidence to it. Top all of this off with phenomenal but subtle effect and lighting work that helps to sell the virtual world here by distorting images and you have something that is truly special on a visual level.
Dennou Coil is astounding in every respect, spanning from a focus on what seems like delightful nostalgia for playing around as children to horror elements that mirror zombie movies. Its range is remarkable, and it executes exceptionally on each element that is brought forward. Its fun side is amusing and engaging, and its emotional side feels well realized and thoughtful. It is incredible that a show like this exists, and it should be experienced by as many people as possible because we will likely never see something like it again.

While manga sales boost from anime adaptation hype is a good news, I don't think its became deciding factor for greenlit an sequel for many cases from what I'm following, there's saying that Chihayafuru got S2 because that, but maybe that not necessarily true considering IIRC its airing on NTV that quite fond airing something niche, I don't know how much involved they are on production committee though.

For example Tokyo Ghoul got extremely huge surge in sales for the manga since the anime airing but yet I'm quite sure no S2 would announced anytime soon with no interest for the disc.

Tokyo Ghoul's adaption was basically a advertisement to get some of that Shonen audience. And as for a season 2 it would be hard since they already messed up the pace, left out important details, and the character development was screwed over in season 1. That's if they redo the adaption from the start or some other studio does it later in time, but I doubt that's gonna happen.

Now for Noragami I feel there's less of a chance of a season 2 since they did that OVA for it. You never know though Bones might surprise us, but I doubt it.

duckroll

Now for Noragami I feel there's less of a chance of a season 2 since they did that OVA for it. You never know though Bones might surprise us, but I doubt it.

The OADs are for the manga audience. They're not really meant for anime fans who want to follow the story. That's why they're sold exclusively as LE bundles with the latest manga volumes. :p

Do you want to make a bet with me on Noragami S2 airing next year? :)

fertygo

The OADs are for the manga audience. They're not really meant for anime fans who want to follow the story. That's why they're sold exclusively as LE bundles with the latest manga volumes. :p

Can I join?

SAO Episode 7

I asked, and they delivered. A whole episode focused on Liz, new character and an awesome girl all around. Liked her a lot more than Asuna. A very good episode, even though it was just about a side character. Two good episodes in a row, hopefully it will continue like that until episode 14.

Articalys

Speaking of YZQ, from what I remember reading, apparently the Tsuki ni Naku OADs suffered a big drop in quality from Hoshi no Umi and Hana no Uta? Hopefully I'm mistaken.

Thank you. My friends love Gundam, and they keep telling me to watch Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny, but I haven't yet. The other one I don't know anything so far.

I'm not that knowledgeable in animes, but one Gary Stu that I remember is Suzaku from Code Geass. That guy was everywhere, doing everything.

If they truly love Gundam, then they would probably be telling you NOT to watch Destiny.

Shergal

Dennou Coil Series
It is incredible that a show like this exists, and it should be experienced by as many people as possible because we will likely never see something like it again.
Iso ;__;

I remember not being as engaged with the main thrust of the story in comparison to how delightful the more self-contained vignettes were, but it has been a while so any more concrete issue I've forgotten. However the show never stopped paying minute attention to detail in its world and characters despite the plot getting more and more complicated, which is commendable.

duckroll

Speaking of YZQ, from what I remember reading, apparently the Tsuki ni Naku OADs suffered a big drop in quality from Hoshi no Umi and Hana no Uta? Hopefully I'm mistaken.

Only 2 out of 3 are out right now. They were pretty dreadful production-wise since they were both heavily outsourced. Presumably because they had to be made while the TV series was in production. The final episode still isn't out yet because the release has been delayed to November. Hopefully this means at least the real staff are working on it. T_T

Yeah let's do a bet. I say a season 2 won't air next year.

Is it gonna be a avatar bet.

The Noragami anime was okay. Really didn't like Yukine's character progression. It was pretty obvious that there's some very important backstory to him but they didn't want to touch any of that yet despite his issues being such a big part of that anime arc.

I really didn't like how he went from a whiny brat—yeh, it' s justified alright—before their reconciliation to...a whiny wimp afterwards. Seriously, he did nothingg but cry when the later episodes took place. When Hyori lost her memory of them he just kept bawling his eyes out and that was pretty much all he did.

It has a fantastic OP though!

Skip Beat 1-19

RVBAm7e.jpg

Was going through my to watch anime backlog and found this show, no idea how this landed in my list but decided to give it a watch. I had no high expectations because the premise was just about a girl trying to get in the showbiz, with some romantic twist, these kinda shows are usually not my cup of tea, and the girl on the cover in a pink suit didn't inspire any confidence in it being any good, but I was wrong. The story is actually interesting and it progresses at a good pace even though no big events happen. I also learned that it ends in a cliffhanger(?) and there is no 2nd season yet. That sucks... Kyoko's outbursts are hilarious, releasing DBZ like karma, the spirits haunting others, her shoulder angels teasing her, having a conference how to get revenge on Sho, lmao.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Iso ;__;

I remember not being as engaged with the main thrust of the story in comparison to how delightful the more self-contained vignettes were, but it has been a while so any more concrete issue I've forgotten. However the show never stopped paying minute attention to detail in its world and characters despite the plot getting more and more complicated, which is commendable.
I think the smaller and more contained pieces just feel like they have the strongest pacing inside the series. The larger plot runs into some issues with episodes just feeling a little bloated because of exposition, and you have these major moments hitting just as an episode ends. Maybe it's a decent trick to keep people coming back, but it kind of feels like a waste of a climax to me that the next episode has to sort of awkwardly pick up from. I think watching the series as it aired would've drove me up a wall.

The main story is also saddled Kenichi, who just sort of feels like a drain on the show.

Firemind

SAO Episode 7

I asked, and they delivered. A whole episode focused on Liz, new character and an awesome girl all around. Liked her a lot more than Asuna. A very good episode, even though it was just about a side character. Two good episodes in a row, hopefully it will continue like that until episode 14.
Oh it's all uphill from here (ignoring that one episode).

If they truly love Gundam, then they would probably be telling you NOT to watch Destiny.

They watch almost everything that has Gundam in it, or mechas in general. Guess they love mechas.

Oh it's all uphill from here (ignoring that one episode).

I hope so.
Unless you're being sarcastic and things will go south very fast.

I also hope that they don't do this in the future
(if they manage to escape)
, it would be so lame:

Articalys

Only 2 out of 3 are out right now. They were pretty dreadful production-wise since they were both heavily outsourced. Presumably because they had to be made while the TV series was in production. The final episode still isn't out yet because the release has been delayed to November. Hopefully this means at least the real staff are working on it. T_T
Damn, that's probably not the kind of thing they can fix in a BD rerelease... then again, I don't know if Hoshi no Umi only got its BD release because of the TV series airing, so Tsuki ni Naku might not even get that.

Madoka-3

hahahaha, you thought this was going to be a light hearted kids show, you were wrong, dead wrong. Mami sure has gotten ahead in life. no tears only suffering, but, I can guess she'll be revived next episode, i'm sure she will.

I was thinking that
Madoka would wish for Mami to come back to life for a few episodes :p

SAO Episode 8

Another fine episode. The scene at Asuna's house was very nice,
especially the knife part.
The guy from the Laughing Coffin will kill someone important, I bet that already. Also, the way that the bodyguard was disposed, so easily, only serves to showcase Kirito's uberness and at the same time his lameness. Kill somebody, for christ's sake.

mankoto

HeartCatch Precure 5
Yet another villian has appeared and he seems to be of the fashionista type.

Man has Tsubomi grown. All of those skillful dodges and not skipping a beat. Almost in recognizable compared to the last few episodes.

It's nice that they told us what his Flower Heart meant. It'd be great if they've been doing it since the beginning though. It became very apparent that they symbolized something and weren't just random flowers.

Jarmel

Banned
Iso ;__;

I found the episodic material much better than the actual main narrative which never clicked or engrossed me.

Part of that is due to the pacing in the first half of the series was pretty boring despite it being oriented around stuff that actually interests me in real life.

duckroll

Naw screw forever that's too long. About 3-4 weeks is better.

Okay wuss. 4 weeks! I don't even think we'll have to wait until next year for it to be announced, but I guess we'll see! If it doesn't happen at all next year, I'll eat a tiny hat, take a photo, and have a stupid avatar for 4 weeks. :D

It's not like Aqua has anything to lose on that avatar. I'll never do an avatar bet with an animegaffer because I'm sure that if I lost they'd make me have an anime moe kawaii dog with tits or something.

A bit off topic but have any of you seen A Young Doctor's Notebook (starring Daniel Radcliffe and Jon Hamm)? I'm curious about the show since I do enjoy dark comedy. I'd assume it's more likely the Brits in here have seen it.

Jarmel

Banned
Okay wuss. 4 weeks! I don't even think we'll have to wait until next year for it to be announced, but I guess we'll see! If it doesn't happen at all next year, I'll eat a tiny hat, take a photo, and have a stupid avatar for 4 weeks. :D

Quoted and bookmarked.

Call me wuss all you want but I can't sacrifice my Persona 3 MC avatar permanently for this bet. Especially considering he's my favorite character.

Yeah I'm gonna start using that avatar soon like I've always been.

If he loses make him switch his avatar to something like

wAft2Qh.gif

only not a gif obviously. Show him what it means to be a true boss god from Valhalla who came down to earth to get all the bitches with his #swag

Personally I'd give you the cat from Chi's Sweet Home.

You know, a cat might actually be worst. A cat is not fine too

Hanamonogatari 1
Lots of weird shots and scenery, stuff making little sense and stuff that seems mystical but in the end, not so mystical. So basically more monogatari

Emo poser confirmed! Do you listen to Linkin Park too while switching avatars?! :D

Aye don't hate on my Makoto Yuki he's the best especially considering what he did at the end. He may have been emo in the beginning but he sure as hell changed later in the game for the best. Makoto is love Makoto is life. He got all the girls too.

Also I hate Linkin Park from the bottom of my heart.

BluWacky

What IS Iso doing with himself? I mean, as long as he's happy, but I wish he hadn't vanished. Dennou Coil was a masterpiece :(

I remember not being as engaged with the main thrust of the story in comparison to how delightful the more self-contained vignettes were, but it has been a while so any more concrete issue I've forgotten.

This is the prevailing opinion on the show and I was going to comment that dimb hadn't mentioned it, which I thought was a refreshing surprise as I've read the same comment so often. The episodic stuff is much more inventive, undoubtedly, and not all of the overarching plot stuff is perfect (there's an episode right near the end, I think, when Yasako goes back to her old school to see an old frenemy who's started to forget her or her memories are twisted and actually she bullied her or something? Can't remember, but I thought that was a bit of a longeur, and I like the overarching plot!).

The main story is also saddled Kenichi, who just sort of feels like a drain on the show.

Somewhere, 7th is nodding in fevered agreement behind his yuri goggles!

I never had a problem with HaraKen, but it's been too long to remember much about him other than him being almost cloyingly nice (which I liked!). He's kind-of a necessary character, I guess, because of not only his past with Kanna but also his link to Tamako.

Ohhhhh boy.

Turns out I came here just in time to see the making of an avatar bet between mod and member.

I feel that this is going to be veeeerrrry interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom